PDA

View Full Version : Ctrain stations

whodiman
04-07-2008, 09:56 AM
Hi Guys,
We're still trying to decide where we want to buy. Ctrain convenience is important. Does anybody get on at Shawnessy or Millrise? If so, do you get seating or just standing room by those stations? Thanks

403Gemini
04-07-2008, 10:06 AM
I live in Millrise, I get on the train at 7 am @ Fish Creek. What I normally do is since i Start at 8 i catch a southbound train and get a good seat and by the time i get downtown its 7:40-7:50 so I still get to work a bit early.

If you try and just ride it north, there's a chance you won't get a seat, but if you do get a seat it's definately an aisle seat (which i loathe to be honest).

Parking is a bit of a disaster. Sometimes i can get a spot on the lower level, but i generally always park on the upper level, accross the street. Just seems if you get there anytime after 7 am you won't get a spot on the lower level.

whodiman
04-07-2008, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 403Gemini
I live in Millrise, I get on the train at 7 am @ Fish Creek. What I normally do is since i Start at 8 i catch a southbound train and get a good seat and by the time i get downtown its 7:40-7:50 so I still get to work a bit early.

If you try and just ride it north, there's a chance you won't get a seat, but if you do get a seat it's definately an aisle seat (which i loathe to be honest).

Parking is a bit of a disaster. Sometimes i can get a spot on the lower level, but i generally always park on the upper level, accross the street. Just seems if you get there anytime after 7 am you won't get a spot on the lower level.

So it sounds like it takes you about 30 minutes to get downtown if you just go straight from Millrise to get down town as it takes you about 40-50 to circle back to stops and start over.

403Gemini
04-07-2008, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by whodiman

So it sounds like it takes you about 30 minutes to get downtown if you just go straight from Millrise to get down town as it takes you about 40-50 to circle back to stops and start over.

Expect delays, but that doesn't really matter what end of the city you're in, apparently the switch downtown was made my Ford :rofl: I KID! I KID!

rc2002
04-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by whodiman
Ctrain convenience

Biggest oxymoron ever.

Putting up with the C-train during rush hour isn't worth saving a couple bucks.

403Gemini
04-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Biggest oxymoron ever.

Putting up with the C-train during rush hour isn't worth saving a couple bucks.

$30/day parking vs $75 bus pass isnt just "a couple bucks" ;)

Melinda
04-07-2008, 12:39 PM
We live in evergreen and hubby takes the train every day. I drop him off in the morning at the shawnessy station and from what he's told me, he usually always gets to sit down. Don't know much about parking there, cause I drop him off, but it works well enough for him. Transit passes are tax deductible too! :thumbsup:

Mibz
04-07-2008, 01:00 PM
I live in Sundance but go to Fish Creek because of paid parking, I've got a screwed up schedule. At 7am there's a decent chance that you'll get a seat on the middle car if you're the first person on, otherwise I wouldn't bank on it. Doing what Gemini does is a good idea if you're either closer to Shawnessy station or can get to Fish Creek early. It usually take me 40 minutes to get from Fish Creek to SAIT.

rmk
04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
We live in evergreen and hubby takes the train every day. I drop him off in the morning at the shawnessy station and from what he's told me, he usually always gets to sit down. Don't know much about parking there, cause I drop him off, but it works well enough for him. Transit passes are tax deductible too! :thumbsup:

Kritafo of the future.

Aleks
04-07-2008, 01:19 PM

$30/day parking vs $75 bus pass isnt just "a couple bucks" ;)

I pay ~ $17 day heated underground in my building. Took the train for many years through school and first couple of years of work, never again if I can help it...

Melinda
04-07-2008, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by rmk

Kritafo of the future.
:rolleyes: Good one.

Xtrema
04-07-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I pay ~ $17 day heated underground in my building. Took the train for many years through school and first couple of years of work, never again if I can help it...

$15 a day, city lot. Unless I'm in financial ruin, no way I'm going back on a train.

Driving > riding my bike > c-train > c-train in rush hours

403Gemini
04-07-2008, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I'll give you $20 a week to drive me to work

lol

max_boost
04-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by rmk

Kritafo of the future.

LOL

HybridTheory
04-07-2008, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

$15 a day, city lot. Unless I'm in financial ruin, no way I'm going back on a train.

Driving > riding my bike > c-train > c-train in rush hours

What part of downtown do you work near? Everything close to my work is $27 to $30/day.

Xtrema
04-07-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory

What part of downtown do you work near? Everything close to my work is $27 to $30/day.

4th and 8th by the bridge.

I do have to walk 6 blocks to work tho.

TomcoPDR
04-07-2008, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I live in Sundance but go to Fish Creek because of paid parking, I've got a screwed up schedule. At 7am there's a decent chance that you'll get a seat on the middle car if you're the first person on, otherwise I wouldn't bank on it. Doing what Gemini does is a good idea if you're either closer to Shawnessy station or can get to Fish Creek early. It usually take me 40 minutes to get from Fish Creek to SAIT.

Back in my days, I'd take a 30min bus ride to Anderson (furthest South station) and then another 30 mins to SAIT, that's if everything goes smoothly.

To OP, if you're newer to Calgary, if I were you and money wasn't an issue, assume by reading you work downtown, just buy something within walking distance from ur work.

That whole Shawnessy/Millrise/Fish Creek is such a PITA in the winter (hard to find heated shelter, over crowding within non-heated "glass box", really poor winter delays, etc...)

Anyways, I haven't taken C-train in 7-8 years on a daily bases so things could have changed.

403Gemini
04-08-2008, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Back in my days, I'd take a 30min bus ride to Anderson (furthest South station) and then another 30 mins to SAIT, that's if everything goes smoothly.

To OP, if you're newer to Calgary, if I were you and money wasn't an issue, assume by reading you work downtown, just buy something within walking distance from ur work.

That whole Shawnessy/Millrise/Fish Creek is such a PITA in the winter (hard to find heated shelter, over crowding within non-heated "glass box", really poor winter delays, etc...)

Anyways, I haven't taken C-train in 7-8 years on a daily bases so things could have changed.

Yeah it's changed... it keeps getting worse and worse

Euro838
04-08-2008, 11:37 AM
^^^ Yes agreed. I can't believe they are spending more money for more trains and re-doing platforms when they should be investing more in efficient C-Train flow. I must say one of the biggest bottlenecks is that NW exit out of downtown.

403Gemini
04-08-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Euro838
^^^ Yes agreed. I can't believe they are spending more money for more trains and re-doing platforms when they should be investing more in efficient C-Train flow. I must say one of the biggest bottlenecks is that NW exit out of downtown.

The switch at the South exit and the NE is really brutal too. It's like getting out of downtown is hell lol

Xtrema
04-08-2008, 01:38 PM
Instead of expanding, they should put the train either under or above ground. The slow down is always due to pedestrian and vehicle traffic @ intersections.

Fuck the west leg. Let's fix what we got first.

403Gemini
04-08-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Instead of expanding, they should put the train either under or above ground. The slow down is always due to pedestrian and vehicle traffic @ intersections.

Fuck the west leg. Let's fix what we got first.

I have to agree, having it underground would be the best way to avoid the congestion that plagues city transit now. It gets SO tied up downtown with all of the red lights trains need to wait for

whodiman
04-08-2008, 06:01 PM

I have to agree, having it underground would be the best way to avoid the congestion that plagues city transit now. It gets SO tied up downtown with all of the red lights trains need to wait for

No Shit. This I totally agree with. If you've ever been on the skytrain you'll understand how true this statement about running above and underground is.

trliniar
04-10-2008, 01:43 PM
Every time i take the train during rush hour there is always some sort of delay / problem. today there was a problem with the interlocking switch at downtown, then there was an accident on one of the intersections so service was stopped from city hall to 8th street i think. if you wanted to go further NW you had to get off and walk to 8th or take a bus.... During rush hour i always plan a 1hr 15 minute trip from shawnessy to the university just to be safe. non rush hour its usually 45 minutes

403Gemini
04-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by trliniar
Every time i take the train during rush hour there is always some sort of delay / problem. today there was a problem with the interlocking switch at downtown, then there was an accident on one of the intersections so service was stopped from city hall to 8th street i think. if you wanted to go further NW you had to get off and walk to 8th or take a bus.... During rush hour i always plan a 1hr 15 minute trip from shawnessy to the university just to be safe. non rush hour its usually 45 minutes

It's always that god damn switch.

HybridTheory
04-10-2008, 03:23 PM

The switch at the South exit and the NE is really brutal too. It's like getting out of downtown is hell lol

I agree, it always adds at least another 5 to 10 minutes to get out of downtown.

Stupid switches :banghead: