PDA

View Full Version : getting dicked around for a refund

TimG
04-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Background:

in october i ordered a piece of furniture and put a deposit on it. months go by and i hear every excuse in the book. Finally last month I went there demanding a refund. To my surprise it was pretty easy but their store policy is to only issue refunds by cheque. this set off some warning bells.

Now i haven't received a refund yet (it's been 3 weeks) and the store manager/accounts payable person is never there when i call or she's in a meeting and doesn't return my calls.

Can I put a lien on the store or sick a collection agency on them if this continues?

analbumcover
04-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Do you mind disclosing the store so this doesn't happen to anyone else.

I thought the general rule for refunds is that monies owed are refunded only by the way you paid

this sounds grimey

reese
04-07-2008, 02:03 PM
sounds like a shady business... but if you paid by credit card, you can always call them up and explain the situation.. you might have to sign some form ... and you will get a credit back into your account...

TimG
04-07-2008, 02:07 PM
I paid the deposit by debit. Their excuse for not being able to give me a debit refund is "our machine isn't set up to do that."

I don't want to disclose the store until i've exhausted all diplomatic means to get my money back. If that fails then i will post the store name.

All I will say now is that it's near Costco at Deerfoot Meadows.

icecreamvan
04-07-2008, 02:28 PM
So you're saying that someone from Beyond works there?

rc2002
04-07-2008, 02:31 PM
Have you tried walking into the store and asking? It's a lot harder to ignore someone when they're standing right in front of you.

Thaco
04-07-2008, 02:34 PM
this is the only furniture place i could find near there..

http://www.unpaintedfurniture.ca/location.html

it really wouldn't surprise me, these small furniture places are asses when it comes to refunds and stuff.
(I really don't think the brick down there would have a policy like this)

we got a dining room set from Ashely furniture, and i would never buy from there again, didn't come assembled, didn't deliver it (i think that was another $100+) NO REFUNDER period... just not policies i wanna support.

Canmorite
04-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by TimG

Finally last month I went there demanding a refund.

Originally posted by richardchan2002
Have you tried walking into the store and asking? It's a lot harder to ignore someone when they're standing right in front of you.

Tik-Tok
04-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

There's a few more than that.

Ashley's
The Bedroom Shoppe
Urban Barn
The Living Room
Ricoh
Lane home furnishings
Leons
La-z-boy

and more

rc2002
04-07-2008, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite

Last post

That was a few weeks ago and he hasn't been back since. The person who is ducking him and not returning calls won't be able to hide if he's there in person.

TimG
04-07-2008, 03:22 PM
I was back there on Saturday and was told "call back and talk to _____ on Monday"

and I have no clue if anyone from Beyond works there.

Xtrema
04-07-2008, 03:52 PM
Name the place already.

Make the internet work for you..... :D

boxer23
04-07-2008, 07:07 PM
I bet its the Brick..they screwed me over :banghead:

max_boost
04-07-2008, 08:02 PM
I bet it's Sears!!!

Cause they said the exact same thing to my gf when she tried to return a sewing machine.

Karim316
04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
It's probably Ashleys. They are horrbile

stunta666
04-07-2008, 08:19 PM
it's true about some debit machines not being able to return, my bros shop cant refund using debit so he has to write them checks if payment was done by debit. And post the store already. Knowing the power of beyond you'll probably end up with your refund and the piece of furniture for free.

KeepItGully
04-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Thaco

it really wouldn't surprise me, these small furniture places are asses when it comes to refunds and stuff.
(I really don't think the brick down there would have a policy like this)

we got a dining room set from Ashely furniture, and i would never buy from there again, didn't come assembled, didn't deliver it (i think that was another $100+) NO REFUNDER period... just not policies i wanna support.

Nice detective skills.. Searching online. :rofl: ...
If you ever stepped out into the real world, you would know Deerfoot Meadows is stacked to the tits with furniture stores.
Just RANDOMLY tarnishing companys? LOL

bobby_lu
04-07-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by KeepItGully

Nice detective skills.. Searching online. :rofl: ...
If you ever stepped out into the real world, you would know Deerfoot Meadows is stacked to the tits with furniture stores.
Just RANDOMLY tarnishing companys? LOL

haha :werd: probably the highest furniture store/km density in the city....

Thaco
04-07-2008, 09:02 PM
there's no tarnishment until the OP confirms the store it was.

CRXguy
04-08-2008, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

There's a few more than that.

Ashley's
The Bedroom Shoppe
Urban Barn
The Living Room
Ricoh
Lane home furnishings
Leons
La-z-boy

and more

You missed Revolve Furnishings.

GTS Jeff
04-08-2008, 03:39 AM
By keeping quiet about which store it was, you're just letting more people get fucked over. You're just as bad.

Akagi Redsuns
04-08-2008, 06:45 AM
Sklar Peppler is also there as well.

In either case, they had 3 weeks+ to resolve the issue. It would be good to know which store is causing you grief.

TimG
04-08-2008, 07:41 AM
like i said, i'm giving them one last chance to make things right and if they don't come thru by noon today i'll be posting the name.

but back to my original question: can I put a lien on the store or get a collections company after them?

Thaco
04-08-2008, 08:00 AM
if they haven't com clean in the past month, they're not going to now, and regardless if they come clean now, they're still being shady and ripping other people off.

TimG
04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
The store is The Living Room.

Time to pull out the big guns.

jeremyn
04-08-2008, 01:03 PM
haha i used to work at that place.
the living room and bedroom shoppe right?
why am i not surprised.
call the owner at 7710321, his name is kyle, his wife might pick up and her naem is wanda.

Weapon_R
04-08-2008, 01:09 PM
but back to my original question: can I put a lien on the store or get a collections company after them?

You can sue them in small claims court for your deposit. Unfortunately it's extra work, but I'm not sure you can reasonably put a lien on the store for the return of your deposit. You might be able to convince a collection agency to harass them, but they take a portion of the collection (if successful) that would take a big chunk of your deposit.

Amysicle
04-08-2008, 01:13 PM
The store is The Living Room.

Time to pull out the big guns.
When you put down the deposit on the furniture back in October, did you have some sort of receipt or contract stating any terms? Did they say they would get the furniture to you by <insert date> or did they leave it open?

You might be able to contact the Better Business Bureau (http://www.google.com/search?q=better+business+bureau+calgary,+alberta,+canada&rls=com.microsoft:en-us&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&startIndex=&startPage=1) to see what they have to say.

TimG
04-08-2008, 01:45 PM
from my past experiences, the BBB is worthless and putting a complaint in with them won't do anything.

Anyway, I FINALLY got thru to the person i was supposed to talk to and she blatantly lied to me that she called me and left a message; no voice mails from her and caller ID doesn't show any calls from the store.

She did say that my refund cheque will be waiting for me this evening (and i fully expect it to bounce when i try to cash it).

i'm never dealing with them again.

Amysicle
04-08-2008, 01:51 PM
Ouch.

Yeah I called the NW location (because I don't have the balls to call the SE location that you dealt with). She said she couldn't comment on your situation specifically because she's not at the SE location and doesn't know anything about it.

But she said typically custom ordered furniture requires a 25% deposit, with the remaining to be paid in full upon delivery. It shouldn't take more than 8 weeks to get the furniture in, unless the supplier has a shortage of material or if it comes damaged and they have to reorder it at no cost to you. She said usually they don't issue refunds on custom ordered furniture and then went off on a tangent about making sure it's the proper colour and look etc.

She said that it hasn't happened before where it took 6 months to get furniture in, but at that point if you did want a refund, it would be refunded the same way you paid, be it debit, MasterCard, Visa. etc. I think they're run by the same guy so I'm not sure why you're getting the run around here.

rmk
04-08-2008, 01:55 PM
Just to recap:

THE LIVING ROOM FURNITURE, CALGARY, ALBERTA, DEERFOOT MEADOWS, SCAMMERS, TERRIBLE.

Let Google pick it up ala Tim Manuel and that Tint shop.