PDA

View Full Version : SE-R or Spec-V?

szw
08-04-2002, 11:21 PM
alright help me decide...i'm kinda iffy now.

Should I get a new Sentra SE-R, or SE-R Spec-V.

The Spec-V costs ~ 1500 more.
here's the breakdown

SE-R
-5spd
-no differential
-165hp/175tq
-plain jane interior (kinda ugly, but not too bad)
16" rims

Spec-V
-6spd
-viscous limited slip differential
-175hp/180tq
-flashier/sportier interior
-17" rims

The Spec-V makes extra power from a tuned ECU I think, and the SPec-V takes Premium fuel rather than the SE-R's regular fuel.

Spec rims http://images.cardomain.com/installs/219000-219999/219194_8.jpg

SER rims http://us.f1.yahoofs.com/users/e7c05545/bc/My+Photos/wheel1.jpg?bcEQZd9AUyvHp0bH

Here are pics of the differnet interiors. Note, I think for 2003, silver will replace the red interior of the Spec-V.

http://members.rogers.com/terrydupuis/car/100-0085_img.jpg

(can't find a good spec-interior picture, but this will give you an idea) http://www.nissandriven.com/m/cma/i/sr2/sr2_int_si11_lava_inter.jpg

Oh also, Spec-V comes with summer only, I've got to get winter rims/tires.
SE-R comes with all-seasons.

szw
08-04-2002, 11:23 PM
sorry for the messy post and some pics don't work..but let me know what you think anyways!

I'm leaning towards the base SE-R, and then I'll have an extra 1500+ to play around with!

buh_buh
08-04-2002, 11:23 PM
Spec-V=:thumbsup:

max_boost
08-04-2002, 11:25 PM
No brainer man!
For $1500 you get so much more in the SPEC V

CRXguy
08-04-2002, 11:41 PM
Spec-V dude!!! That's a sweet deal for all them goodies!!

Wasky
08-04-2002, 11:41 PM
Get the Spec V You will regret it if you dont!

Masta Dz16
08-05-2002, 12:03 AM
Spec - V :hitit: :thumbsup: !!! i would totally go for that shit instead of the SE-R.

kevie88
08-05-2002, 12:06 AM
Spec-V or else!! :madred:

REdOX
08-05-2002, 12:13 AM
Get a Celica GT heh..

J/K... Go for the spec-v man. $1500 is a small price to pay for being satisfied/happy with your car.

GingeRRRBeef
08-05-2002, 01:43 AM
geesh, szw!!!!

Didn't you already ask this in the sentra forum??:thumbsup:

Look how frigin ugly the interior is in the SE-R. The dark dash and steering wheel and the tanned seat/etc. EWWWWW :thumbsdow

I totally understand what you are going thru because I went thru all of it.

Trust me, you will totally regret it if you get the SE-R. The LSD on the Spec V is worth 1500 bux. It's helical and not viscous just so ya know ;)

Please do yourself a favor and get the Spec V!!!!!! :guns:

And it's always nice to know that you've got more gears than you have fingers (plus thumb for those who wants to get technical :burnout:) on one hand.

James
08-05-2002, 01:51 AM
If you have the extra $1500, it would make sense to get the better car:dunno:

GingeRRRBeef
08-05-2002, 01:52 AM
Ditto

GTS Jeff
08-05-2002, 02:25 AM
Just for the record, the Spec V doesn't need premium.

And go with the Spec V!!

RX-7_TWINTURBO
08-05-2002, 02:47 AM
I agree with everyone here.
for the LSD, 6 Speed and bigger rims
it is well worth the 1500 to go Spec-V

4wheeldrift
08-05-2002, 06:58 AM
If you can swing the extra $1500, go with the spec V. The upgrades you get would be cheap at twice the price.

Evan
08-05-2002, 08:48 AM
I vote fot the Spec-V :thumbsup:

Ferio_vti
08-05-2002, 10:58 AM
Spec V. And lower it ASAP. Damn, they sit too high on the 17s

szw
08-05-2002, 11:08 AM
It's helical and not viscous just so ya know

haha i realized that as soon as I was about to go to sleep, but too lazy to fix it!

And I'm pretty sure the Spec-V takes premium, silver_specV?

GTS Jeff
08-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Well, the Altima, with a slightly higher tuned version of the same engine (180hp/181tq) takes 87...

Redlyne_mr2
08-05-2002, 01:18 PM
not only are you gettign way more car for 1500..you're also getting a way better resale value in the end..spec v..you'd be stupid not too

GingeRRRBeef
08-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
Just for the record, the Spec V doesn't need premium.

And go with the Spec V!!

What do you mean it does need premium??? No cars need premium. It's all recommended. If you use a lower octane level on a car that require a higher octane level. Your car will run like shit and potential you could damage it.

Ever heard of knocking????
Check this out:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

Originally posted by szw
And I'm pretty sure the Spec-V takes premium, silver_specV?

LOL, szw! I haven't put anything in my Spec V except premium. I'm not taking any chances.

boi-alien
08-05-2002, 02:20 PM
spec V, no contest

three.eighteen.
08-05-2002, 06:52 PM
no dude whatcha gotta do is...get like a base sentra, then get all the spec-v decals and badges, a big fatty exhaust tip, and some chrome 17"s with all the money you saved...that'd be :bigpimp:

haha, no...get the spec V :thumbsup:

szw
08-05-2002, 11:57 PM
Hehe, well I don't have a choice here do I? haha

Actually I still am considering the SE-R, and ordering a hotshot intake/headers...some other goodies too... With the SPec I'd probably stay stock...

The only real kicker is the HLSD...hmm

we'll see! I still have time!

jaylo
08-06-2002, 12:48 AM
Spec V man, you get so much more

silvercivicsir
08-06-2002, 01:11 AM
hotshot headers from what I've heard are CRAP, poor welds and poor construction. Just Ask speedracer he had one on his neon.

szw
08-06-2002, 01:31 AM
yea? Well I was just lookin' at the web deals, I'm not seat on any brand yet.

I just mean in general...some more goodies!

RiceCake
08-06-2002, 01:48 AM
No brainer... Spec V, you're getting a lot more car for $1500...
Also for fuel, you can try lower octanes. Most manufacturer's will reccomend a certain level and you should stick with it, because its there for a reason, as most manufacturers have tried and tested which level is best suited for the car. Running lower octane may cause knocking, but usually most cars ecu's will adjust the timing to compensate for it. :)

GTS Jeff
08-06-2002, 02:31 AM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

What do you mean it does need premium??? No cars need premium. It's all recommended. If you use a lower octane level on a car that require a higher octane level. Your car will run like shit and potential you could damage it.

Ever heard of knocking????
Check this out:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/question90.htm

LOL, szw! I haven't put anything in my Spec V except premium. I'm not taking any chances. Don't throw that link at me like I'm some 13 year old retard. And FYI, premium isn't recommended for the QR25 either. Just THINK about it - why the hell would an engine with a 9.5:1 comp. ratio need premium? And when you see the number 91, think about whether it's AKI or RON first. Man, you've been wasting your money all along and hurting performance too.

max_boost
08-06-2002, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by szw
Hehe, well I don't have a choice here do I? haha

Actually I still am considering the SE-R, and ordering a hotshot intake/headers...some other goodies too... With the SPec I'd probably stay stock...

The only real kicker is the HLSD...hmm

we'll see! I still have time!

Dude, you be retarded if you are still considering

szw
08-06-2002, 03:16 AM
I've never looked at a Spec-V manual, but I'm pretty sure they are recommended as premium fuel. Whether its really needed or not, nobody really knows, and there is almost no evidence. I believe the spec-V has a sticker on the gas door that sais "premium fuel only"...whatever thats worth.

This is a quote I got about the manual, but I haven't seen it myself to check it..

For SE-R SPEC V
Your vehicle is designed to operate on
unleaded premium gasoline with an octane
rating of at least 91 AKI (anti-Knock Index)
number (Research octane number 96).
If unleaded premium gasoline is not available,
unleaded regular gasoline with an
octane rating of at least 87 AKI (Research
octane number 91) can be used, but only
under the folliwng precautions:
c Have the fuel tank filled only partially with
unleaded regular gasoline, and fill up
with unleaded premium as soon as possible
c avoid full throttle driving and abrupt acceleration.
However, for maximum vehicle performance,
the use of unleaded premium
gasoline is recommended.

Anyways, I probably will get the Spec-V, just so I don't have to answer "why didn't you get the spec-v?" all the time!
j/k...actually I think both cars are pretty much equal in terms of straight-line performance.

Getting an SE-R and buying some rims I actually like, some go-fast bits, nice suspension (or used Spec'V suspension) is more appealing to me. I think I would enjoy it more. But, that would probably take course over a few years.

Guess I'm back to the Spec-V! haha

GingeRRRBeef
08-06-2002, 05:28 PM
Don't throw that link at me like I'm some 13 year old retard. And FYI, premium isn't recommended for the QR25 either. Just THINK about it - why the hell would an engine with a 9.5:1 comp. ratio need premium? And when you see the number 91, think about whether it's AKI or RON first. Man, you've been wasting your money all along and hurting performance too.

Let's not turn this into a flame war or anything but 91 octane level is recommended for the Spec V. It says so in the manual. And who are you to say that I'm wasting money??? And how would it hurt performance to use 91 octane on a car that recommends using it???

GTS Jeff
08-06-2002, 10:02 PM

Let's not turn this into a flame war or anything but 91 octane level is recommended for the Spec V. It says so in the manual. And who are you to say that I'm wasting money??? And how would it hurt performance to use 91 octane on a car that recommends using it??? Because the Altima manual recommends 87.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2194

GingeRRRBeef
08-06-2002, 11:57 PM
Because the Altima manual recommends 87.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2194

It clearly states in the Sentra manual that they recommend 91 for the Spec V.

Would you like me to scan the page and post it on here for you???

max_boost
08-06-2002, 11:59 PM
How is buying Premium fuel for a car that recommends it considered wasting money?

GingeRRRBeef
08-07-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
How is buying Premium fuel for a car that recommends it considered wasting money?

I have no clue.

Even if a car doesn't need it, filling it up with higher quality gasoline will do it good in the long run.

silverEJ8
08-07-2002, 12:37 AM
Spec V for sure man. Let's do it!

GTS Jeff
08-07-2002, 02:01 AM

It clearly states in the Sentra manual that they recommend 91 for the Spec V.

Would you like me to scan the page and post it on here for you??? http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2194