PDA

View Full Version : Used X-ice Tires, Need Advice

Mx6er
04-08-2008, 09:53 PM
So I found a really good deal on some used Michelin X-Ice tires on stock mx6 alloys and I am going to potentially pick them up tomorrow. The seller said over the phone that they look to be in great shape (rims/tires) and according to him have what he believes to be "less than 5000km on them". He also said they were pulled on a written off mx6 but had no damage.

I was wondering what to look for that may raise some red flags (cupping, bent rim etc)

Help is much appreciated. Thanks.

bobby_lu
04-08-2008, 09:57 PM
Excessive cracking, uneven wear, bulges, bumps etc.

AE92_TreunoSC
04-08-2008, 09:59 PM
They are very prone to cracking and becoming very hard, rendering them useless as a winter tyre.

Just inspect them thoroughly and walk away if you see anything odd, like bobby_lu mentioned.

tlapec
04-08-2008, 10:05 PM
check the DOT code for date of manufacture. Tires shouldn't be used if they are over 6 yrs old.

BlackArcher101
04-08-2008, 10:54 PM
Double check the thread depth... I believe (as in think) that the x-ice siping depth is only to half the total tread depth. So when the tire is worn to 50%, the siping that gives you the anti-skid ability on ice is gone.

GTS Jeff
04-09-2008, 02:47 AM
Check to make sure they aren't broken.

Mx6er
04-09-2008, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
Excessive cracking, uneven wear, bulges, bumps etc.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
They are very prone to cracking and becoming very hard, rendering them useless as a winter tyre.

Just inspect them thoroughly and walk away if you see anything odd, like bobby_lu mentioned.

Originally posted by tlapec
check the DOT code for date of manufacture. Tires shouldn't be used if they are over 6 yrs old.

Originally posted by BlackArcher101
Double check the thread depth... I believe (as in think) that the x-ice siping depth is only to half the total tread depth. So when the tire is worn to 50%, the siping that gives you the anti-skid ability on ice is gone.

Good advice. I also dug out a tread depth gauge that might be of some help. do you know what a good depth is in mm?

Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Check to make sure they aren't broken.

:dunno: