PDA

View Full Version : Renting a U-Haul

HiSpec
04-09-2008, 12:43 AM
I need to rent a U-Haul this sunday for a couple of hours to move some stuff between houses...
How safe are those U-Haul trucks?
And are they pretty hefty to rent?

bobby_lu
04-09-2008, 12:45 AM
I heard they have cloth seats and A/C.

Destinova403
04-09-2008, 01:15 AM
my buddy rented one when we moved him between apartments... honestly they fill up pretty fast, as you fill them stack as high as you can its like tetris lol.

it seemed pretty safe and stuff... just be aware of how big it is.

HiSpec
04-09-2008, 01:25 AM
alright thanks!!

i've heard and read some news few years ago about U-Haul being very very unsafe...

but best to hear from actually user...

Destinova403
04-09-2008, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
alright thanks!!

i've heard and read some news few years ago about U-Haul being very very unsafe...

but best to hear from actually user...

i don't understand how... i mean the truck we got was in perfect working order everything was fine... we even checked the tire pressure before we took it out and it was all good. the ramps were all solid, the floors were fine, and i mean the truck wasn't even that old.

if its unsafe for any reason it will be the users fault... be careful when you drive it, take corners slowly and be aware of how big of a truck it is... and you shouldnt have any trouble.

HiSpec
04-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Destinova403

i don't understand how... i mean the truck we got was in perfect working order everything was fine... we even checked the tire pressure before we took it out and it was all good. the ramps were all solid, the floors were fine, and i mean the truck wasn't even that old.

if its unsafe for any reason it will be the users fault... be careful when you drive it, take corners slowly and be aware of how big of a truck it is... and you shouldnt have any trouble.

from what I read in news article, W-FIVE had rented U-hauls from all over Canada, and put them thru inspections. They were 14 times below minimum safety standard. One customer even had two of the wheels came off. Apparently even one of their employee said safety wasn't anything they had in mind.

Anyhow, since then I probably think they have improved their vehicles alot...

But yeah, this will be my first time driving something like this... I have driven F150s before, but these type of trucks will be my first...

Zero102
04-09-2008, 02:05 AM
Generally speaking. if you get an old shitty truck from them it probably has safety issues. As far as all rental agencies go there are some good vehicles and some bad ones. UHaul just has more bad ones than the other agencies.

The W-5 report was blown out of proportion for obvious reasons (they wanted attention) but there still was some truth to it. I would never trust one on long trips between cities and such.

I rent trailers from them all the time, I just always go pick my own :)

brucebanner
04-09-2008, 09:40 AM
I rented one when I was moving from the NE to the NW. I got the second largest truck I could and moved everything over in one load, it was quite a bit of stuff too.

The truck I had drove fine and was in good mechanical order. As mentioned above just be aware of what you are driving.

As far as costs go, I think all said and done my final bill was around $75 or so and I had the truck for the entire day (8am - 4pm).

Eleanor
04-09-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by HiSpec
I need to rent a U-Haul this sunday for a couple of hours to move some stuff between houses...
How safe are those U-Haul trucks?
And are they pretty hefty to rent?

If you can, get an automatic. The manual ones, like the one my cousin rented, have their clutches totally shot and are a bitch to drive.

Stinky Mcpete
04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
I rented a U-haul last may, the second largest one. Thing was a death trap. you had to pump up the brakes to get any stopping power, if you didn't pump first, the pedal just went to the floor without doing anything! Other than that it was fine though, i guess.....the cab kinda smelled funny though.

Xtrema
04-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by Stinky Mcpete
I rented a U-haul last may, the second largest one. Thing was a death trap. you had to pump up the brakes to get any stopping power, if you didn't pump first, the pedal just went to the floor without doing anything! Other than that it was fine though, i guess.....the cab kinda smelled funny though.

That's my experience too but that was 5 years ago and the truck is from the 70s or early 80s.

picmerollin
04-10-2008, 01:52 PM
the one i had a few months ago was shot, the suspension was like being in a row boat and the engine had a serious exhaust leak......it sounded like a train!!

but i was only going across the city so i looked at it as an adventure....any further and i would have worried.

hellraiser456
04-12-2008, 03:28 PM
all my experiences with u haul vehicles has been fine...i have never had a problem with a vehicle of theirs.

Rat Fink
04-12-2008, 03:37 PM