PDA

View Full Version : I need an opinion

dannie
04-09-2008, 12:20 PM
I want to get an eliptical for my house. I really enjoy the cardio I get from it, but I have been to a few stores to compare all the different ones and now I'm more confused than ever. I am unsure of which one is best. Any opinions or suggestions?

Amysicle
04-09-2008, 12:35 PM
http://www.wnetwork.com/tv_shows/shows/the_shopping_bags/ViewProduct.asp?ID=379

Ask yourself questions like, who else is going to use it? What features do I want? What is my price range? What is the warranty and return policy on the product?

kerry
04-09-2008, 09:32 PM
Spend the extra cash and get a Life Fitness one or a Precor one like at the bigger gyms. Better warranty but even better quality.

Go Mango... yet again.

Darkane
04-09-2008, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by dannie
I want to get an eliptical for my house. I really enjoy the cardio I get from it, but I have been to a few stores to compare all the different ones and now I'm more confused than ever. I am unsure of which one is best. Any opinions or suggestions?

Honestly.. Ellipticals are good ONLY if you have bad knees and joints. They are low impact and that's why they are favorable for old people and people with arthritis etc.

My advice to you, If you want to do fat burning cardio, stick to speed walking keeping HR @65% of max. For High intensity, sprinting, Sled pulling, swiming, rowing, OR elliptical @80% of Max HR. The problem is someone who is really adapted to the elliptical and can go "for hours" won't do so well when switching to marathon running or something of the sort.

Best thing to do is brisk walking. That strengthens your joints without being really high impact which jogging can be.

kerry
04-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I only use the elliptical.

;)

shakalaka
04-10-2008, 04:51 AM
I have noticed that I burn more calories on the elliptical in the same amount of time when compared to treadmills or bikes.

pinoyhero
04-10-2008, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by Darkane

Honestly.. Ellipticals are good ONLY if you have bad knees and joints. They are low impact and that's why they are favorable for old people and people with arthritis etc.

My advice to you, If you want to do fat burning cardio, stick to speed walking keeping HR @65% of max. For High intensity, sprinting, Sled pulling, swiming, rowing, OR elliptical @80% of Max HR. The problem is someone who is really adapted to the elliptical and can go "for hours" won't do so well when switching to marathon running or something of the sort.

Best thing to do is brisk walking. That strengthens your joints without being really high impact which jogging can be.

+1, get off the machines get out doors.

dannie
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
My issue is that I am young.... but I have a lower abdominal issue. Any jostling of that area causes severe pain and cramps and issues that I really dont need. And no, I'm not allergic to working out :) I have gone on the eliptical many times and because it is low impact I don't have the pain in the stomach that I have when I use a treadmill or jog.

Is there any specific place I should go to that has better pricing on the high end elipticals?

98type_r
04-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by shakalaka
I have noticed that I burn more calories on the elliptical in the same amount of time when compared to treadmills or bikes.

this is normal, elliptical > treadmill > bike for burning calories.

98type_r
04-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by dannie
My issue is that I am young.... but I have a lower abdominal issue. Any jostling of that area causes severe pain and cramps and issues that I really dont need. And no, I'm not allergic to working out :) I have gone on the eliptical many times and because it is low impact I don't have the pain in the stomach that I have when I use a treadmill or jog.

Is there any specific place I should go to that has better pricing on the high end elipticals?

are you eating before you work out? it could just be cramps, but if it only happens when jogging but not an elliptical then it probably isn't the case.