PDA

View Full Version : Best place for Engagement Ring?

eblend
04-09-2008, 11:52 PM
Need to get an engagement ring in the next couple of weeks. Anyone recommend a good place in Calgary? Personal experiences welcome

Jlude
04-10-2008, 01:02 AM
I've got a friend who works for spence...

pm me if you want his contact info... I ended up not getting anything from spence, and he went through one of his contacts and got me something custom made for a lot less

2002civic
04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Alberta Diamond Exchange on 17th Ave
Call ASAP as they only take appts and are pretty busy

A+++++++

Got an amazing ring that would have cost double at any of the crappy chain stores (Peoples etc etc)

if you trust the internet bluenile.ca is good, but I wanted to see everything in person

freshprince1
04-10-2008, 08:06 AM
As annoying as the guy on the radio is, Spence is where I bought my wife's engagement ring.

They took the time to educate me on the basics of what to look for, then I went to countless other places. I ended up coming back to Spence because of their service, and their warranty. As well, they will buy back their own rings at full price years down the road if you want to upgrade.

Basically, if you can find a ring you like at Spence, go with them. It is expensive for them to do custom work.

I had a great experience there and am very happy. I plan on going back there in a few years to upgrade the ring I bought when I was a poor student.

Good Luck!

my $0.02

ScCab
04-10-2008, 08:15 AM
Go Check out Cullinan Jewellery... http://cullinan.ca/

He's making me some custom bands right now and great prices too. Very friendly and great to deal with...plus he's a gemologist (GIA certificated)so he knows his Diamonds

z24_wheels
04-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Stratton's in Banff. I chose a band that the wife loved and he brought in a loose diamond that fit the exact specs I was after. Very reasonable pricing, plus you benefit from seeing the diamond before purchasing.

Tik-Tok
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1
As annoying as the guy on the radio is, Spence is where I bought my wife's engagement ring.

Same, though I went before the annoying Spenth guy was on the radio, that would've given me second thoughts on going there.

Good customer service, I don't think I overlypayed (a little, but not much), and I know I have a genuine Canadian dug diamond, no blood on my wife's finger, thank you (and before anyone starts in, yes I know ALL diamond companies are connected to that area in one way or another).

itsnotaDUB
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Troy shoppe jewlers. they are exclucive to "hearts on fire" diamonds, the most perfectly cut diamonsd in the world

Kritafo
04-10-2008, 08:45 AM
Hunter Davidson
http://www.hunterdavidson.com/ is where I had my custom rings done 15 years ago. They are awesome. I have Sapphires instead of diamonds.

I highly recommend 500 wedding rings book, it has lots of very unique styles and is a new book. I know they have it at Chapters that is where I bought mine...yes I realize I am not getting married again, but love rings.

http://www.amazon.com/500-Wedding-Rings-Celebrating-Commitment/dp/1600590543

jdmakkord
04-10-2008, 09:40 AM
Bluenile.ca is great. Picked one out, picked the stone, and the matching wedding band.....8 days later it is at my front door.

teggypimp95
04-10-2008, 09:50 AM
That place in marketmall right across from that crystal store near the food court. Used them a few times, and my dad got my mom a nice right from there too. Just a small place. Called Dabji or something weird.

JRSC00LUDE
04-10-2008, 09:51 AM
The best place for an engagement ring is in your distant memory! Ruuuuuuuuuunnnn!!!!!!

benyl
04-10-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
Called Dabji or something weird.

You mean, "De Bearj" ?

googe
04-10-2008, 10:49 AM
do NOT go to spence

or anywhere in the mall

unless you like getting hosed

teggypimp95
04-10-2008, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by benyl

You mean, "De Bearj" ?

AH haha thats it!

Weapon_R
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
Unless you like paying 3x the price for a ring, shop online. Bluenile.ca has some decent deals, or you can go to whiteflash.com or bluenile.com for even better prices.

4wslude
04-10-2008, 10:54 AM
Goto Jewels By Ilyas downtown

Awesome prices, awesome diamonds, will easily save u 50%

his number is 2647211, tell him saleem sent u to get the best price

Unknown303
04-10-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd recommend Troy Shoppe Jewellers only because I just bought an engagement ring from there with a hearts on fire diamond.

I must say that they are brilliant, damn amazing diamond and they sparkle more than you could possibly imagine.

Can't remember the lady that I dealt with there but her last name was Huckabee. Which is really easy to remember.

Smokem
04-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Mangina
Just keep feeding her the dick. It will keep her around longer than a stupid ring will.

2002civic
04-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by googe
do NOT go to spence

or anywhere in the mall

unless you like getting hosed
agreed :thumbsup:

95EG6P
04-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
The best place for an engagement ring is in your distant memory! Ruuuuuuuuuunnnn!!!!!!

LOL

viff3r
04-10-2008, 05:21 PM
+1 for De Bearj in market mall. I picked up my wife-to-be's ring there. They have some very unique stuff, it is a bit pricier though, but we liked what they had to offer and the customer service is top notch, which is very important in my mind when you are dropping big cash on a ring. We have also purchased our wedding bands there. The staff is great!!

Part of the diamond buying experience is seeing the diamond in person, how it reflects light, etc. You can't get that by looking at a JPG image on the internet.

And if I can offer one more tip - don't just go for the bigger diamond. A smaller, higher-quality diamond will look wayyy nicer than a huge low quality one. Good luck.

Strider
04-11-2008, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by itsnotaDUB
Troy shoppe jewlers. they are exclucive to "hearts on fire" diamonds, the most perfectly cut diamonsd in the world

Originally posted by Unknown303
I'd recommend Troy Shoppe Jewellers only because I just bought an engagement ring from there with a hearts on fire diamond.

I must say that they are brilliant, damn amazing diamond and they sparkle more than you could possibly imagine.

Can't remember the lady that I dealt with there but her last name was Huckabee. Which is really easy to remember.

:rofl:
It's all marketing... "Hearts on fire" is Troy Shoppe's made up trade name for a hearts & arrows (ideal) cut diamond, which you can get from any good jewellery store, or the diamond exchange.

Just do your due diligence, and avoid mall stores. I went through Blue Nile because you can choose from literally thousands of diamonds and get one to the exact specs that you want. After having it appraised independently, I'm 100% happy with my decision.

redblack
04-11-2008, 02:11 AM
whens the big day unknown303?

ricefarmer
04-11-2008, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95
That place in marketmall right across from that crystal store near the food court. Used them a few times, and my dad got my mom a nice right from there too. Just a small place. Called Dabji or something weird.

:rofl: GARRBBBBBBAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by viff3r
+1 for De Bearj in market mall. I picked up my wife-to-be's ring there. They have some very unique stuff, it is a bit pricier though, but we liked what they had to offer and the customer service is top notch, which is very important in my mind when you are dropping big cash on a ring. We have also purchased our wedding bands there. The staff is great!!

Part of the diamond buying experience is seeing the diamond in person, how it reflects light, etc. You can't get that by looking at a JPG image on the internet.

And if I can offer one more tip - don't just go for the bigger diamond. A smaller, higher-quality diamond will look wayyy nicer than a huge low quality one. Good luck.

trust the InteNETs YO!!! Mosrt bitches caare about quanttity not qualty wh=n it comres to the ring. when th e botch beside her has a bigger rock than her she is not goign to care who's sparkles better, she is gpoiong tp bitch aand moan to yhou that y=hers is nnot bog enough,

take it f=rom th e guy above......=. ,,, kjeep feeding her the COck, that is good enmough:thumbsup:

nd54
04-11-2008, 02:53 AM
Brinkhaus is THE place for fine jewellery in Calgary. Nothing else comes close.

googe
04-11-2008, 03:06 AM
Originally posted by ricefarmer

:rofl: GARRBBBBBBAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

trust the InteNETs YO!!! Mosrt bitches caare about quanttity not qualty wh=n it comres to the ring. when th e botch beside her has a bigger rock than her she is not goign to care who's sparkles better, she is gpoiong tp bitch aand moan to yhou that y=hers is nnot bog enough,

take it f=rom th e guy above......=. ,,, kjeep feeding her the COck, that is good enmough:thumbsup:

drinking and posting is bad

Jlude
04-11-2008, 03:14 AM
Originally posted by ricefarmer

see sig drunky

Unknown303
04-11-2008, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by redblack
whens the big day unknown303?

The Big day still won't be for a while, waiting till after we get our home renovations done.

Originally posted by Strider

It's all marketing... "Hearts on fire" is Troy Shoppe's made up trade name for a hearts & arrows (ideal) cut diamond, which you can get from any good jewellery store, or the diamond exchange.

Yeah understandable that its marketing having their own name but you can't argue that whether you get it as a HOF or from BlueNile.ca Ideal cut diamonds tend to look a hell of a lot better than ones with uneven faces that tend to lose light inside them.

mac_gurl
04-11-2008, 08:42 AM
My bf got my engagement ring at Spence. He really liked them, and they explained everything to him. they only problem was that no wedding bands matched it, and he never thought about that when he bought it. We went to goldsmiths on 14th street in Kensington, and they were able to custom make a ring. Very quick and very good job. I recommend both places.

googe
04-11-2008, 09:40 AM
Also, don't go anywhere that sends it to their own appraisers. Even if they are "independent", the companies have an understanding..."appraise our stuff for what we sell it for, and we'll keep sending you tons of business" (places like spence do this)

Always have it sent to a place that you choose, and do research on the reputable places. If don't want to send it away to anyone but their own people, run. The two that you want certificates from are GIA or AGS.

modded46
04-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by eblend
Need to get an engagement ring in the next couple of weeks. Anyone recommend a good place in Calgary? Personal experiences welcome

Not in Canada that's for sure.. I would highly recommend ordering from a place like Bluenile.com or even Ebay you're going to find something a lot nicer for the same amount of money you'd pay in Calgary or cheaper.

For my wife, I got her a .65ct Ideal cut VS1 G color solitaire a few years ago and paid just over a grand..

ecstasy_civic
04-12-2008, 12:09 AM
Honestly, I shopped around for months when I bought the engagment ring. Tany's Jewellry was amazing.
I ended up @ the northland location and spent more than a few weeks going through a bag of loose diamonds and bands.

I finally picked out the stone D color VVS1 clarity .87ct for just over 5k with a platinum band, picked up the wedding band 2 weeks ago, again, amazing service even with having the ring custom designed we waited only a month for it.

I would highly recommend speaking with John if you make it over there, its amazing he put up with what he did:rofl:

PS: Chose our own appraiser as well, had a few to choose from with no pressure.