PDA

View Full Version : how responsible are you ?

4bier
04-10-2008, 08:32 AM
if you sell a car to someone. but he does not insure or regester it . and drives away

Tik-Tok
04-10-2008, 08:35 AM
Did you take the plate off and return it to the registries? Or have a bill of sale filled out with the time/date?

JRSC00LUDE
04-10-2008, 08:37 AM
Why is it your responsibility to ensure he does things properly? Take care of your own responsibilities and if someone is old enough to buy a car they should be old enough to take care of their own. :dunno:

4bier
04-10-2008, 08:39 AM
but this guy says he wants to buy my bike.... so im not sure if i sign all paperwork over and ill be making copies time date everything do i have any responsibility after its sold and no he will not be getting my plate

Canmorite
04-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 4bier
if you sell a car to someone. but he does not insure or regester it . and drives away .

As long as the title has changed hands, and you have the money in your pocket, I'd say you're good to go :thumbsup:

Tik-Tok
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by Canmorite

As long as the title has changed hands, and you have the money in your pocket, I'd say you're good to go :thumbsup:

Yeap, just make sure to date AND time, with a witness, when it was sold. Return the plate to registries ASAP as well.

teggypimp95
04-10-2008, 08:42 AM
Yeah has nothing to do with you. If the bill of sale is signed by both parties and you have the money. He can do what he wants.

dannie
04-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Heres the issue.... The rest of the posters are correct. Once you sign that bill of sale, it is not your responsibliity. However, if buddy does not register is and abandons it; YOU are responsible for the abandoned motor vehicle charges. They add up to just under $200.

So what I recommend to all the people I see, is to make two bills of sale and have they buyer and seller and witness sign both. You keep one as the buyer and the seller keeps one. As long as you can prove you sold the vehicle, you cannot be charged with anything.

Oh.... and ALWAYS keep your plate. Don't ever give it to the person buying the car