PDA

View Full Version : Mazda 3 or VW Jetta?

cdulm
04-10-2008, 10:04 PM
My girlfriend is looking at buying a new car come summer and is pretty set on either purchasing a VW Jetta or a Mazda 3. Both would be 2000 or newer. Any information is appreciated! I personally like the look of the 3 better but have heard great things about VW's and their gas mileage!

boxer23
04-10-2008, 10:21 PM
My views may differ from others, but I drove a Diesel Jetta and I have to say the most uncomfortable car to drive...so much noise from the engine, suspension went to crap and my back was aching. It had 170KM and was diesel though

mazda_maniac
04-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Jettas don't exactly have the best reliability record......

Then again you might not believe my opinion due to my handle haha...

MAZDA 3!!!

mo_money2supe
04-10-2008, 10:29 PM
My gf had to make the exact same decision a couple years ago. Going by the factors of price, looks, comfort, refinement, and overall fun-factor, she ended up choosing the Mazda 3.

A790
04-10-2008, 10:45 PM
Jetta.

My friend has a Mazda3 sedan and is having nothing but problems.

Iqoair
04-10-2008, 10:52 PM
I went from an 07 Mazda 3 gt, to a 04 jetta diesel, and I enjoy the jetta way more. More comfortable, better fit and finish, better fuel economy (diesel, 1000k / tank), more features. Mazda 3 , get ready to have your drivers door kicked in when you park it at a mall, etc (easy to break into).

cdulm
04-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Ive definitely heard about the easy break- ins on the Mazda. Passenger door knock and back window popping!

Kavy
04-10-2008, 11:57 PM
Easy break in are better then easy break downs................which is what a pre 05 jetta will get you.

But again this is all opinion from us I suggest have her decide which she likes better looks wise because all manufacturers have lemons, VW just has more of them :)

Jettaman01
04-11-2008, 12:28 AM
Hmm tough choice. I've owned both and it really boils down to personal preference.

Jetta
Pros:
1.8T and VR6 Powerful and fun to drive
TDI: awesome fuel economy and decent power
Fit and Finish; German Engineering
Cons:
Several reliability issues
2.0L: Slow

Mazda3
Pros:
2.3L Fun to drive, handles well, decent power
Decent fuel economy
More Bang for your buck
More Reliable than the Jetta
Cons:
Break in problems

I still prefer the Jetta over the 3. But I'm a VW guy.

pf0sh0
04-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Jettaman01
Hmm tough choice. I've owned both and it really boils down to personal preference.

Jetta
Pros:
1.8T and VR6 Powerful and fun to drive
TDI: awesome fuel economy and decent power
Fit and Finish; German Engineering
Cons:
Several reliability issues
2.0L: Slow

Mazda3
Pros:
2.3L Fun to drive, handles well, decent power
Decent fuel economy
More Bang for your buck
More Reliable than the Jetta
Cons:
Break in problems

I still prefer the Jetta over the 3. But I'm a VW guy.

What I drive: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
:dunno:

My buddy got a mazda 3, I think either 06-07, and its a decent car, easy to drive and he gets about 600km on gas.

Jettaman01
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Haha, thought someone would notice that.

Hoping to replace my 3 with a Jetta pretty soon. It's a good car but I just prefer the veedub

Sparx
04-11-2008, 12:44 AM
Id take a mazda 3 over the jetta any day. I hate the deisel jetts because of how much you have to press the gas down to have them, not to mention the amount of noise the engine makes and i think the mazda looks way better

pf0sh0
04-11-2008, 12:51 AM
Either way, your gf will probably pick which looks best lol.

nismodrifter
04-11-2008, 12:56 AM
Originally posted by Sparx
Id take a mazda 3 over the jetta any day. I hate the deisel jetts because of how much you have to press the gas down to have them, not to mention the amount of noise the engine makes and i think the mazda looks way better

LAWLZ.

Yeah, I really have to floor the pedal to hit peak torque at 2k rpm :nut:

mazda_maniac
04-11-2008, 07:36 AM
I don't think you want you gf driving a diesel even if it gets better fuel economy........

Diesel's pricier than gas now..
Plus its effieciency over gas only really shows whens it's loaded and on the highway....

sillysod
04-11-2008, 08:57 AM
I have had 3 Passats, 1 Audi's a Fox and a Jetta.

If you were buying new I would say go VW. If you take good care of a VW it will last forever (I got 370,000kms on my last passat).
The TDI's are great once you get used to them. I used to do Vancouver on 40L of Diesel.

If a VW is abused it will live in the maintenance shop.

Japaneese cars seem to be a lot more forgiving if the previous owner was less than gentle with them.

The Cosworth
04-11-2008, 09:00 AM
Mazda 3 wagon FTW.

The jetta is nice but higher operating costs, and plus I think the Mazda 3 has a bit better design and soul. The Jetta feels so heartless.

Last choice would be the Mazda 3 sedan, UGLY!

blownz
04-11-2008, 10:41 AM
I personally really like both and think they are two of the best compacts out there. I would personally go with the Jetta if money isn't an issue because they get quite a bit pricier with options and engines. If price is a bigger factor you can't go wrong with the 3 though. :thumbsup:

BlkMaxima
04-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Mazda 3 all the way.

VW = Problems waiting to happen.

bobby_lu
04-11-2008, 11:01 AM
The 3 didnt start untill 2004.

Anyways, if you want a hatch then 3 for sure.

forkdork
04-11-2008, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by mazda_maniac
I don't think you want you gf driving a diesel even if it gets better fuel economy........

Diesel's pricier than gas now..
Plus its effieciency over gas only really shows whens it's loaded and on the highway....

Erm.... no.

I get around 5.5L/100km driving 100% city. The mazda is rated at around 8L/100KM city. Considering Diesel costs a whole cent more than gasoline per Litre, I don't think there is any comparison in terms of efficiency.

Combine this with the lesser depreciation of the tdi, the 16 000km service schedule and you have a winner.

The whole gf driving a diesel argument is even more daft. Who gives a shit? It's not like driving a 3 is any better ;)

cdulm
04-11-2008, 02:13 PM
Ok when sitting beside a TDI at a light it sounds awfully quiet comparred to some of those monster trucks. Is it that quiet inside aswell?

blownz
04-11-2008, 02:28 PM
^ they are actually very quiet inside. And actually idle is the only time you can really tell there is a diesel from the sound. Most people would be really surprised if they gave them a shot.

cdulm
04-12-2008, 02:00 AM
^ good to know. thanks!

DGill
04-12-2008, 02:04 AM
jetta:thumbsup:

theken
04-12-2008, 02:28 AM
ive owned both, i like the mazda 3 better but only cause it was newer, i have an 02 1.8t, and we had an 06 mazda 3 gt

shakalaka
04-12-2008, 10:21 AM
No idea about the Mazdas' but have a 03 Jetta as my winter car and no problems with it what so ever. Even though haven't got to drive it much since I came away for university. But a great compact car, really quiet and quite fun to drive.

mlafreni
04-12-2008, 03:08 PM
I happen to have an 02 Jetta 1.8T fully loaded auto that I need to sell asap so willing to take a huge hurtin' on the price (lowballs welcome) :D

kijiji ad for my jetta (http://edmonton.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-over-5K-Volkswagen-Jetta-GLS-1-8T-Fully-loaded-leather-Auto-turbo-W0QQAdIdZ45582354)

pm if interested

and on that note, getting back to the thread, they are great cars, I love the turbo, and very decent on gas and nice and speedy when needed :thumbsup:

suen17
04-12-2008, 03:25 PM
I have a 07 Mazda 3 sport, and I've never really like it much. It's not that great on gas, ~450km/full tank, and that's when driving pretty conservatively. It handles pretty well, but be prepared to shell out for new tires, as the stock ones on the GT are shit. They hydroplane like mad, weak sidewall, and are plain out dangerous in <5degree weather.

I had camber and toe problems with mine and the stock rear tires were down to the wear bars at 10 000kms :thumbsdown: (although probably b/c of camber problems).

It seems underpowered, especially when driving uphill, and even when flooring it, going up Sarcee was BRUTAL. Highway driving isn't bad at all, with mileage around 7L/100km's.

It's not a bad car for the money, and so far hasn't really had any reliability issues. I haven't had to shell out much for new parts or repairs yet - knock on wood.

In short,

Pros: good car for the price; decent mileage; comfortable w/ good set of options; handles well.

Cons: Shitty stock tires; only decent mileage; underpowered, harsh break-in period.

mazda_maniac
04-12-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by forkdork

Erm.... no.

I get around 5.5L/100km driving 100% city. The mazda is rated at around 8L/100KM city. Considering Diesel costs a whole cent more than gasoline per Litre, I don't think there is any comparison in terms of efficiency.

Combine this with the lesser depreciation of the tdi, the 16 000km service schedule and you have a winner.

The whole gf driving a diesel argument is even more daft. Who gives a shit? It's not like driving a 3 is any better ;)

Diesels require warmup nuff said. most diesels may be better than gas but realistically the fuel effiency over gasoline engines dont show until they are loaded!

Mazstyle
04-12-2008, 06:54 PM
I'm not voting, both are shitty choices IMO I've lost a lot of faith in mazda and VW as of late.

And with the cost of diesel these days ~$1.25 it's starting to negate the advantages.

sillysod
04-13-2008, 09:10 AM

Diesels require warmup nuff said. most diesels may be better than gas but realistically the fuel effiency over gasoline engines dont show until they are loaded!

You obviously have never owned a Diesel car.

I used to drive a TDI passat to Vancouver on 40 Liters.... even with the cost of fuel, a gas will NEVER touch the TDI for mileage.

Toyota Prius vs. BMW 520d (http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/used_car_reviews/article3552994.ece)

The TDI jetta is a lot smaller than a 5 series and the Mazda isn't in the same league as the Mazda for mileage.

Trucks are different... in the real world the new powerstroke gets the same mileage as a gas.

HiTempguy1
04-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Ok when sitting beside a TDI at a light it sounds awfully quiet comparred to some of those monster trucks. Is it that quiet inside aswell?

From what I understand, the TDi changed quite a bit from the original iterations that lasted until 2003. The 04+ cars are a LOT quieter (from what I understand), have a bit more power, and respond WAY better to chipping.

I think it is also prudent to consider that diesel isn't 1 cent a litre more expensive then gas, but more like at least 10 cents.

Anyways, I have an '04 2.slow 4 door golf and I loves it now. Had a toast clutch assembly (throwout bearing grenaded) replaced under warranty, but it was a problem all winter. Transformed the car. Put an exhaust on it, waiting for the chip to arrive, and with 18's on it I get over 500km in the city if I drive nicely. I managed to hit 700km once with strictly highway driving from Red Deer to Kananaskis to Edmonton (when it was bone stock).

forkdork
04-13-2008, 10:55 AM

Ignorance FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, you obviously don't know what you are talking about.

forkdork
04-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

Anyways, I have an '04 2.slow 4 door golf and I loves it now. Had a toast clutch assembly (throwout bearing grenaded) replaced under warranty, but it was a problem all winter. Transformed the car. Put an exhaust on it, waiting for the chip to arrive, and with 18's on it I get over 500km in the city if I drive nicely. I managed to hit 700km once with strictly highway driving from Red Deer to Kananaskis to Edmonton (when it was bone stock).

Ahem - I get 850km city with lots of WOT. I also get around 1200km highway if I keep it around 120kph.

Our cars share the same fuel tank;)

TBH - I don't really know what diesel costs right now. I just looked at the cheapest few stations on calgarygasprices.com in the respective categories. Typically the prices are equal or gasoline is a bit more expensive than diesel. You always get sporadic disparities between the two prices (I remember paying 98c/L for diesel last year when gas was at something like 1.14/L, iirc the reverse also happened too).