PDA

View Full Version : Found a bike, would like some opinions from people who know this stuff

97'Scort
04-11-2008, 09:12 AM
I found a 1982 Honda CB900 custom in my price range. Needs a little work, tune up and carb clean mostly, but it's in pretty good shape. I'd have to re-spray the gas and oil tanks but that's not a big deal either.

Anybody owned one of these (or the 750, they're similar) and have an opinion? It's a lot of power, I know, for a first bike, but I figure since it's a cruiser and a shaft drive, I should be able to keep it under control.

Cowtown_Raider
04-11-2008, 01:01 PM
If you can fix'er up, go for it. It's not going to buck you off like a CBR900 might ;)

legendboy
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Cowtown_Raider
If you can fix'er up, go for it. It's not going to buck you off like a CBR900 might ;)

Nope, but it would still do rolling burnouts with the best of em! haha

Graham_A_M
04-11-2008, 01:50 PM
I used to have a '81 CB650, my first road bike. Their built like tanks. Those older Jap bikes of that era can take a beating like you wouldn't believe, bieng the CB's & Magna's, Yamaha's XS line up, Suzuki's GS's and Kawasaki's KZ's.
You can get them for a song and a dance, and will go forever. TJ's cycle has a few of those so if yours ever breaks down, it wont cost much to get it up and running again.
EDIT: your near Edmonton, so there are wreckers in both Edmonton & Calgary that have parts.
If its more then $2k, I'd be a bit leary, most times people can get them for around the $1200-1500, for a decent used one.

Shaft drive is great though, dont forget to check and change the fluid in that case, but its so much better then chain, maintenence wise.

97'Scort
04-11-2008, 09:15 PM
Thanks guys :) I was actually hoping to see it this weekend, as I'll be in Calgary Saturday and snowboarding in Sunshine Sunday, but the owner won't be in town :( Oh well.