PDA

View Full Version : Text Message Scam- Telus, FIDO, Rogers be advised!

gstone
04-11-2008, 07:33 PM
Just letting everyone know there is a text messaging scam that is affecting Telus, FIDO, and Rogers customers. A third party is sending messages similar to this:

+008000
"Hey, I got your number from a friend of mine, but I bet you can't guess who I am! My username's lonewolf624 if you"

If you receive this, call your provider immediately as you can be charged for these messages!!! They explained that the text messages are "premium texts" which the user has to authorize to receive. I know for fact I never authorized anything of the sort! I'll be calling back my provider once the bill comes in because as it stands now my provider can't deal with it. Apparently Telus customers won't have to pay these charges (need confirmation as my citation is from google).

in short: get creepy text message... call your provider immediately!

Clark-Kent
04-11-2008, 07:40 PM
i got those a couple times and so did my mom
just didnt thing anything of it
but im on telus:dunno:

ibcinya
04-11-2008, 07:54 PM
ya i got that like 2 weeks ago, i knew it was bullshit when there was no actual number.

spikerS
04-11-2008, 07:57 PM
yes, i get these calls quite alot (i work for telus), but they are not a premium message. they are sent from a program over the internet, and somehow are able to bypass spam filters.

If you have an unlimited sms plan on your account, i would not bother calling in as it is free anyways, however, if you don't have unlimited sms and get it, call in and Telus will credit your account on the spot for the message.

telus engineers are working on a fix to the spam filters to fix the issue. Can't speak about rogers or bell or fido tho.

Maddog55
04-11-2008, 08:21 PM
I got one the other day...but it came with a pic of some nice boobies...so I didn't complain :D

nightfx
04-11-2008, 08:39 PM
I got that one a few weeks ago, thought it was a fag trying to prank call me so i just deleted it. :dunno:

Speed_69
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
i got one the other day..i just ignored it..

Mckenzie
04-11-2008, 08:43 PM
I got one too- how much does it cost me ?

What a PITA...

JAYMEZ
04-11-2008, 08:54 PM
I keep getting calls from 18772895108 , anyone else getting these calls? Keeps hanging up on me each time I answer

EK 2.0
04-11-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ

I keep getting calls from 18772895108 , anyone else getting these calls? Keeps hanging up on me each time I answer

Yeah, yeah I got those at least 3 times a week homie.

Toms-SC
04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
I keep getting calls from 18772895108 , anyone else getting these calls? Keeps hanging up on me each time I answer http://www.discovervancouver.com/forum/18772895108-t96840.html

Ben
04-11-2008, 10:14 PM

Contracted outsourcing for call center. They call to sell you everything from a new credit card to furnace cleaning, all depends on what company hires them out that week/month. RBC is known for using this company a lot.

Fuckers.

BTW: Here's the company that owns the number.

http://www.trgcustomersolutions.com/

jhmed
04-11-2008, 10:29 PM
I got a few calls from 866-809-3307 on my cell phone. They were claiming to be Telus. I told them to fuck off.

I called back and apparently it WAS them. Ooops.

I got that same text though... It was on my work phone. Oh well, they can deal with it.

I *do* get calls at home all the time from 000-000-0000 -- never any messages though..

I hear that the machines that hang up on you are machines that map what time of day you answer the phone to see when the best time to call is... I don't know. Telemarketers suck.

Ben
04-11-2008, 10:34 PM
The machines dial more numbers than they have operators available. When you pick up, and say hello, if the machine recognizes a human sounding voice, it will send you to the first available rep. For the other 4 or 5 that got called for that one available rep, they get the good ole silent treatment. Odds are not n your favor, which is why we get so many hangups.

I believe the no calling for solicitation times are 8am-10pm. Receiving calls after those hours = big bad no no by the CRTC.

DJ Lazy
04-12-2008, 06:24 AM
If I have to say "Hello?" more than twice in 3 seconds, without getting the slightest sound from the other end... I hang up... :rofl: Usually weeds out most of these fackin' telemarketing automated machines.

jay42w8
04-12-2008, 08:56 AM
^ then they'll just call you again...I was getting calls from TD on my cell phone and I just ignored but they started calling 3 times a day over the course of about 2-3 months....I finally picked up and "talked" to them and got them off the calling list....fucking TD....

Mazstyle
04-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by DJ Lazy
If I have to say "Hello?" more than twice in 3 seconds, without getting the slightest sound from the other end... I hang up... :rofl: Usually weeds out most of these fackin' telemarketing automated machines.

That's what I do to, I say hello once.... wait about 1-2 seconds then I hang up, because you know it's a call center.

If it's actually an important call from your cc or bank etc, they will usually be ready and waiting for you to answer and if not they will call back.

oilerfan4lyfe
04-12-2008, 05:51 PM
I had a missed call a couple of weeks ago...the number showed up as "1 212 121 2121" I was like :confused:

arian_ma
04-12-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by oilerfan4lyfe
I had a missed call a couple of weeks ago...the number showed up as "1 212 121 2121" I was like :confused:

I got this call as well, I thought it was one of my friends on Skype but they just hung up.

98type_r
04-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by gstone
Just letting everyone know there is a text messaging scam that is affecting Telus, FIDO, and Rogers customers. A third party is sending messages similar to this:

+008000
"Hey, I got your number from a friend of mine, but I bet you can't guess who I am! My username's lonewolf624 if you"

If you receive this, call your provider immediately as you can be charged for these messages!!! They explained that the text messages are "premium texts" which the user has to authorize to receive. I know for fact I never authorized anything of the sort! I'll be calling back my provider once the bill comes in because as it stands now my provider can't deal with it. Apparently Telus customers won't have to pay these charges (need confirmation as my citation is from google).

in short: get creepy text message... call your provider immediately!

you aren't charged to receive a text message regardless of the format, these messages may be fishing for you to reply, which in that case it could be a premium service that charges you.

Kloubek
10-18-2009, 10:01 PM
Wish I read this beforehand.

I keep getting joke msgs from a Saskatoon #. 306-717-4564. Never signed up for anything. So I txt'd back: "Unsubscribe. Stop sending me messages!".

I'm now expecting a charge on my next bill. Can we get Telus to block these?

TC06
10-18-2009, 10:07 PM
STOP or STOP ALL usually unsubscribes you from the majority of "premium" text message services

scat19
10-19-2009, 09:27 AM
How is this a scam?

clem24
10-19-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by 98type_r

you aren't charged to receive a text message regardless of the format, these messages may be fishing for you to reply, which in that case it could be a premium service that charges you.

Hahaha says who... Telus charges $.15/text received unless you're on some kind of plan. Although looking on their website, you can do this:

In case you do receive an unwanted text message, we are pleased to offer our TELUS Spam Free Guarantee. Send any spam messages to 7726 with the word SPAM in the body and we will adjust your bill. No questions asked.

jahobo
10-19-2009, 12:46 PM
i got those when i first got my new cell number.

telus did not help me and said their systems would;ve blocked it and blamed me for signing up on a site and putting my number up there. so if your number was just recently issued could be someone else used it on a site

i dont remember how but i tricked the tech helping me to get his cell number and said i would register his number and spam him.

after that is credited me for the text and blocked my number somehow as i never received another of those texts

that would like 3 years ago, maybe things have changed with the service