PDA

View Full Version : Formatting Laptop

guessboi
04-12-2008, 12:01 AM
My gf has a toshiba laptop and is slow. How do I format a toshiba labtop back to its default setting (window vista) I have backed up all the stuff she needs...Do I need a disc or password or something? Any help will be appreciated. thanks!
:D

eblend
04-12-2008, 12:27 AM
Did it come with recovery disks? Most toshibas have recovery disks. Look in the box that came with the laptop

TC06
04-15-2008, 12:28 AM
If you have the windows vista disk, put in the disk while it boots up. While it is booting up it should read off the vista disk and ask you if you want to install windows vista on the current partition. Select the drive you want to install vista on. It will probably ask you to format the drive (this deletes everything off the drive). Once the formating is complete I think it asks you to reboot, but either way it will ask you step by step instructions on what you want to do.

If you can't get your laptop to boot off the cd, you will have to change the boot order in your BIOS. I don't remember the key to get into your BIOS but once your in there change the boot order to CD-ROM as the first boot then your hard drive as the 2nd boot.

Bimmer88
04-15-2008, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by TC06
If you have the windows vista disk, put in the disk while it boots up. While it is booting up it should read off the vista disk and ask you if you want to install windows vista on the current partition. Select the drive you want to install vista on. It will probably ask you to format the drive (this deletes everything off the drive). Once the formating is complete I think it asks you to reboot, but either way it will ask you step by step instructions on what you want to do.

If you can't get your laptop to boot off the cd, you will have to change the boot order in your BIOS. I don't remember the key to get into your BIOS but once your in there change the boot order to CD-ROM as the first boot then your hard drive as the 2nd boot.

Yeh what this guy said.

You need the OEM Vista CD, or a Recovery Disc probably provided by Toshiba when you purchased the Laptop.

johnny0214
04-15-2008, 12:34 AM
if the toshiba laptop didn't come with recovery discs there might be a recovery disc creator on the desktop.

guessboi
04-15-2008, 03:50 PM
ok. thanks all. We don't have the vista disc since it was pre-installed in the laptop, so now I told her to find the recovery disc. She remembered she has one but since she just moved this month, she can not find it as of yet. lol.

I will check her laptop again to see if there is a recovery disc creator on her cpu. My Acer is much easier to use. IMO.
:D

Will update when I fix her laptop up.

Tripz
04-15-2008, 04:02 PM
Keep pressing the number "0" when booting up, it'll go into your recovery manager and it'll boot from your partition recovery drive.
Note this will work on some of the toshiba models, either press the number 0 or the letter O repeatedly when booting up.

aklalani
04-15-2008, 04:11 PM
i think its delete or one of the F buttons that u have to press when booting up to get into setup (Bios) and change the boot order from

1. hard drive
2. cd-rom

to

1. cd-rom
2. hard drive

guessboi
04-16-2008, 08:38 PM
done! thanks all. all I did is put the boot disc in and press 0 and it just loads up. much better than going to dos for windows me and xp back in the days. :D

Tripz
04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
Good to hear it worked out for ya.