PDA

View Full Version : RCMP radar unit?

UndrgroundRider
04-13-2008, 02:25 AM
Does anyone know what kind of radar unit the RCMP use?

Some guy is claiming the RCMP radar'd him, while they were driving in front of him, with 5-6 cars in tight formation in between him and the cop. Smells like BS to me, but I thought it would be interesting to know what kind of unit they have anyway.

I thought they were really old always-on units.

4lti7ude
04-13-2008, 02:27 AM
I think they use the old radar.
Unless they are like the Calgary Police which i herd uses Laser.

But i dont think they can radar him if there were people in front of him in tight formation..

dawson13
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
that kind of radar is called pop radar it allows the officer to pin point the exact car that he wants to get and its very new there are how ever a couple of radar detectors that block this but they are pricey

but ya pop radar is what its called

Supa Dexta
04-13-2008, 03:53 PM
ummm

POP: http://www.007radardetectors.com/pop_radar.htm

tom_9109
04-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Only Laser can pick one car out of a group. The officer uses judgement when you're in a pack and probably couldn't convict in court.

Jlude
09-25-2011, 08:57 PM
Gonna bump this old thread instead of starting a new one.

So I was on my way out to the lake this weekend, driving on the highway just before crossing the Ontario border and I noticed an RCMP ahead of me. Immediately I slowed down, but so did he... and put his lights on before I passed him. I got in front of him and pulled over.

He told me that he got my speed on radar when I was coming up behind him. I was in the left lane, he was in the right (if that makes any difference).

Do RCMP have rear facing radar?

drtoohotty1
09-25-2011, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
Gonna bump this old thread instead of starting a new one.

So I was on my way out to the lake this weekend, driving on the highway just before crossing the Ontario border and I noticed an RCMP ahead of me. Immediately I slowed down, but so did he... and put his lights on before I passed him. I got in front of him and pulled over.

He told me that he got my speed on radar when I was coming up behind him. I was in the left lane, he was in the right (if that makes any difference).

Do RCMP have rear facing radar?

yup both front and rear on all the cars here in Alberta, im guessing its the same for Ontario.

Jlude
09-25-2011, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the quick response.

Off to hire a traffic lawyer! :rofl:

Wannago
09-26-2011, 09:36 PM
RCMP uses the Kustom Golden Eagle Ka @ 35.5 Ghz

Alberta Sheriffs use Stalker DSR Ka @ Ka 34.7 Ghz

CPS (and Edmonton) uses the LTI Ultralyte 20/20 Laser Gun

BigShow
09-26-2011, 10:06 PM
I've been caught this way on the trans can...actually I've been caught all sorts of ways. They have better equipment than I ever would of imagined.

luxor
09-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Wannago

CPS (and Edmonton) uses the LTI Ultralyte 20/20 Laser Gun

Let's add two more to the CPS list for their radars:

CPS mobile radar units on their unmarked units are Ka 34.7 and photo radar vans are Ka 34.5-34.6 usually.

se7en
09-26-2011, 11:50 PM
I got nabbed on the 41a highway....ka band. rcmp. he hit me with the instant on thingy...had a bit of time to slow down....122 in a 100.

J.D.
09-28-2011, 12:15 AM
They can also estimate your speed usually this is if their coming up behind you but on the ticket it should say what type of assesment was used

Also points for the win!

dexlargo
09-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by Wannago

CPS (and Edmonton) uses the LTI Ultralyte 20/20 Laser Gun CPS also use the Stalker DSR (http://www.stalkerradar.com/law_dsr.shtml) in their mobile units with front and rear antennae

wardpr68
09-28-2011, 10:56 AM
I fight tickets all the god damn time, the cops are largely full of fucking bullshit and if you can make them look like an idiot in court (not hard to do) you will win.

The RCMP cop who I recently look like a high school drop out (which he likely was) was using the Stalker DSR2X which is instant-on.

He just flips it on and it will give him a reading. If there is a car between you and the radar, he has no way of knowing which car it is, that is what you will build your case on. Explain how there is no possible way he could have got the reading from your car.

FIGHT YOUR TICKETS PEOPLE, don't let some uneducated moron decide your fate.

2007RS4
09-28-2011, 12:40 PM
My V1 picked up a K band reading out in the middle of nowhere around Okotoks. I slowed down and sure enough douchebag AB Sheriff over the hill.

bspot
09-28-2011, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by 2007RS4
My V1 picked up a K band reading out in the middle of nowhere around Okotoks. I slowed down and sure enough douchebag AB Sheriff over the hill.

K, not Ka?

I've got X and K shut off for false readings as I was fairly certain only Laser and Ka are used anywhere in Canada.

2007RS4
09-28-2011, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by bspot

K, not Ka?

I've got X and K shut off for false readings as I was fairly certain only Laser and Ka are used anywhere in Canada.

Defintely a K band. I was surprised too, as well as my father in law who also has a V1 and was in the car with me.

Wonder if they have any other equipment inside their trucks that would give off a K reading.

frizzlefry
09-28-2011, 03:50 PM
CPS us Ka in the vans and ghost cars/trucks. I have not registered a Ka signal from a marked unit in ages but that does not mean they don't have marked cars running every now and then. No K-band in the city at all...I set my V1 to only scan for Ka and Lidar. On the highway most if not all RCMP units use Ka. Near major cities you might see an RCMP lidar trap. I turn K band on when I am on the highway...some okepoke sheriffs still use it.

Mitsu3000gt
09-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by frizzlefry
CPS us Ka in the vans and ghost cars/trucks. I have not registered a Ka signal from a marked unit in ages but that does not mean they don't have marked cars running every now and then. No K-band in the city at all...I set my V1 to only scan for Ka and Lidar. On the highway most if not all RCMP units use Ka. Near major cities you might see an RCMP lidar trap. I turn K band on when I am on the highway...some okepoke sheriffs still use it.

Your V1 can't detect Lidar until it's already been hit (or any radar detector, for that matter) so that part is pointless, unfortunately. You can't really "scan" for laser. It's a very thin, precise, instant, beam that your V1 won't pick up unless it hits you directly, at which point it's too late in 99% or more of situations.

I used to own a radar detector until I discovered they are basically useless for city driving, because it's all either blatantly obvious photo radar vehicles, or lidar. I also received 2 tickets in the time I had a radar detector, both times it told me I was hit with lidar, lol - not much help. It also alerted me of every automatic door while I drove down McLeod haha.

Feruk
09-28-2011, 05:27 PM
I'm on the highways a fair bit. Seen both K and Ka radar come up on my detector. It's usually Ka though.

frizzlefry
09-28-2011, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Your V1 can't detect Lidar until it's already been hit (or any radar detector, for that matter) so that part is pointless, unfortunately. You can't really "scan" for laser. It's a very thin, precise, instant, beam that your V1 won't pick up unless it hits you directly, at which point it's too late in 99% or more of situations.

I used to own a radar detector until I discovered they are basically useless for city driving, because it's all either blatantly obvious photo radar vehicles, or lidar. I also received 2 tickets in the time I had a radar detector, both times it told me I was hit with lidar, lol - not much help. It also alerted me of every automatic door while I drove down McLeod haha.

My V1 has often times picked up laser scatter from a targeted car in front me...and it lets me know when an infiniti SUV is near (laser based cruise control) :) But for those times where I don't get scatter, thats what my Blinder M27 is for. And I would ALWAYS run Ka in calgary....the white/blue/black/grey ghost trucks run it mobile along with pulling multinova duty. Infact about 50% of the multinova traps I see are the damned trucks nowadays. And the trucks are hard to spot, they are even putting rusty toolboxes in the back to make them look like work trucks. Passed one that had a guy pullled over that left his Ka-Band gun on so my V1 went nuts. It was a nice blue Truck with tinted windows, police lights and....an old toolbox. Started seeing that about 6 months ago. Even had a non CPS bumper sticker on it for something construction-ish. They are really going all out these days trying to make the trucks as un-ghostly as possible.

frizzlefry
09-28-2011, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

It also alerted me of every automatic door while I drove down McLeod haha.

The only falses I get on my V1 are:

Crappy radar detectors leak and trigger false Ka alerts(99% of the time the car is a civic with a crap body kit). Even then it makes the "opps not Ka radar" noise within 5 seconds.

And

Infiniti SUVs trigger false Lidar due to their fancy laser based cruise control and brake safety system.

Granted I have x-band and k-band turned off. Don't need them in the city and if you run them the V1, like any other detector, will chirp every 5 seconds in the city.