PDA

View Full Version : Detering Thieves: Legalities of using high voltage and razor blades

nobb
04-13-2008, 12:57 PM
The crime wave in Calgary seems to be increasing, but I do not see much that is being done.

I freaking hate thieves, so I am toying with the idea of using embedded high voltage probes and razor blades in various hidden locations in my car to deter thieves if they were to try and steal my car/stereo. The high voltage probes will be current limited so they are perfectly safe and there will also be a hidden kill switch for when I need to work on my system.

However, since this is calgary and not texas, I am wondering if anyone knows the law with regards to these type of things. Can I get into legal trouble for having these devices in my car?

Hakkola
04-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Illegal.

rp_guy
04-13-2008, 01:05 PM
i think it is if someone dies, but otherwise, those items themselves are not illegal?

likestuffandya
04-13-2008, 01:06 PM
i'm pretty sure if u just say "i wired up my stereo wrong" noones gonna ask questions, as well for the razors you could be like "i need them for work, and i guess i left a few laying around"

badatusrnames
04-13-2008, 01:08 PM
Illegal unless you make it clear that your vehicle is protected in this manner?

Weapon_R
04-13-2008, 01:13 PM
Illegal, period. You cannot legally seek to injure a trespasser.

marko polo
04-13-2008, 01:18 PM
do it anyways, odds are the thief wont have a life threatening injury and whats he gonna do, report it to the police? haha teach a thief a lesson

Rat Fink
04-13-2008, 01:21 PM

nobb
04-13-2008, 01:27 PM
Well I guess I could scrap out the razor blade idea because I can see how that would cause injury. But I am pretty sure high voltages are 99.99% safe on the human body as long as the current is regulated. Heck, a loud alarm would probably cause more injury from the potential damage to ear drums, but you dont see those being outlawed.

90_Shelby
04-13-2008, 01:27 PM
An old co worker did the razorblade under the dash trick. He came out to his car one morning and there was blood everywhere. The thief made a point to ruin his interior by wiping the blood all over his interior. Other then that nothing happened.

marko polo
04-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by 90_Shelby
An old co worker did the razorblade under the dash trick. He came out to his car one morning and there was blood everywhere. The thief made a point to ruin his interior by wiping the blood all over his interior. Other then that nothing happened.

ha ha, nice.

sillysod
04-13-2008, 06:40 PM
GIVE ME A BREAK.... what thief is going to walk into a police station and say:

"I was trying to break into this car and I cut myself all up on a razor blade." or "It shocked me..."

If they die, then just roll them out of and drive off in your "unstolen" car with a big grin on your face.

Shitty thing is they might freak out and do a little more than get blood on the interior.

I had my old diesel broken into and I disconnected the wire to the injector pump, the guy couldn't start it and when the battery went flat he went apeshit inside the cab. Kicked out all the windows and pissed & shat in the cab. I had to buy all new carpet (insurance wanted to "clean it"), seats etc. total bullshit.

BlueGoblin
04-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by sillysod
GIVE ME A BREAK.... what thief is going to walk into a police station and say:

"I was trying to break into this car and I cut myself all up on a razor blade." or "It shocked me..."

Hate to say it, but you are making an assumption that such people have a) brains b)a sense of shame or c)a sense of irony

They may well indeed report it if they believe that by doing so, you will be punished more than they will:

Traps likely to cause bodily harm
247. (1) Every one is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years, who with intent to cause death or bodily harm to a person, whether ascertained or not,

(a) sets or places a trap, device or other thing that is likely to cause death or bodily harm to a person; or

(b) being in occupation or possession of a place, knowingly permits such a trap, device or other thing to remain in that place.

Bodily harm
(2) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) and thereby causes bodily harm to any other person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years.

Offence-related place
(3) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1), in a place kept or used for the purpose of committing another indictable offence, is guilty of an indictable offence and is liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding ten years.

Offence-related place — bodily harm
(4) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1), in a place kept or used for the purpose of committing another indictable offence, and thereby causes bodily harm to a person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to a term of imprisonment not exceeding fourteen years.

Death
(5) Every one who commits an offence under subsection (1) and thereby causes the death of any other person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 247; 2004, c. 12, s. 6.

Interfering with transportation facilities
248. Every one who, with intent to endanger the safety of any person, places anything on or does anything to any property that is used for or in connection with the transportation of persons or goods by land, water or air that is likely to cause death or bodily harm to persons is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for life.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 232.

imjimmylin
04-13-2008, 08:22 PM
When you get it figured out I'm ready for purchase!

finboy
04-13-2008, 08:37 PM
as mentioned earlier, even if it does injure them, it gives them all the more reason to smash up your ride, get a 2 way alarm.

climer
04-13-2008, 08:51 PM
It sounds like a good idea but it's not worth it.

It's not like a burglar will say, "Darn, I just had my nutsack slit open by some spring loaded razors in the seat. I think I'll move onto the next car."

If you want to deter a thief, disable your fuel pump or something. That way, you'll come back to a car with a broken window or door locks vs. a car which is torched and completely unsalvageable.

Senseiz
04-13-2008, 09:28 PM
It is legal, if you give them a warning about the theft deterrent used.

They will be warned about the consequence and if they still move forward in trespassing, then it is completely legal.

IE: Guard dog attacks burgular. If the owner put a sign up with a warning stating guard dog present (and to be completely explicit: guard dog that attacks), the owner is not liable. However, if no sign is up... there might be some lawyer fees involved.

BlueGoblin
04-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by Senseiz
It is legal, if you give them a warning about the theft deterrent used.

They will be warned about the consequence and if they still move forward in trespassing, then it is completely legal.

IE: Guard dog attacks burgular. If the owner put a sign up with a warning stating guard dog present (and to be completely explicit: guard dog that attacks), the owner is not liable. However, if no sign is up... there might be some lawyer fees involved.

There is a fundamental difference between a dog, whose purpose is to raise an alarm - not specifically to attack, though that might be incidental - and a device meant solely to injure. If you have specific knowledge of the law that runs counter to the Criminal Code sections I posted above, I would love to know about it - If you don't use QuickLaw, canlii.org is a good source for citing legislation and caselaw.

86_lude_86
04-13-2008, 10:16 PM
i heard about this car alram in germany but couldnt find anything on you tube.
when the thief sets off the alarm a flame thrower under the door angled up lets loose. i thought it was a sweet idea.

rc2002
04-13-2008, 10:51 PM
I've had my car broken into many times - alarms didn't help me at all. I've found the best deterrent is not to buy anything aftermarket and not to leave anything valuable in sight. I even keep my coin tray empty.

Sparx
04-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by imjimmylin
When you get it figured out I'm ready for purchase!
I second that lol

ruffryder
04-14-2008, 01:21 AM
do what i did.. invest in a two way alarm and through in some hidden back up battery units and "pain generators" inside the car.. apparently the pain generator puts out a high annoying ass noise that it unables the thiefs from being in ur car for long periods of time.. and if they cut ur battery wires theres a hidden back up batter (which is also an external siren) that goes off and can only be turned off with a switch..

i kno it probebly isnt as good as it sounds but its a start
:dunno:

2BLUE
04-14-2008, 08:15 AM
I have a club on my car and it puts out 50,000 volts.

i bought it 8 yrs ago and the name of the company is wore off but ill try to find.

Came through customs no problem.

01RedDX
04-14-2008, 08:19 AM

Idratherbsidewayz
04-14-2008, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Just take some nice bottle of liquor and inject some cyanide into it with a syringe. Always keep it in the car somewhere.
Odds are they're gonna steal that too.

Lol terrible...

nobb
04-14-2008, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by 2BLUE
I have a club on my car and it puts out 50,000 volts.

i bought it 8 yrs ago and the name of the company is wore off but ill try to find.

Came through customs no problem.

Yea thats what gave me the idea in the first place, but that club is not being produced anymore. And since I cant find anywhere to buy it, I figure why not make my own electrified club (as well as an electrified dash).

2BLUE
04-14-2008, 12:45 PM
Im sure you could find it ...someone out there must have one...I know a store in west edmonton mall used to sell them.....But that was years ago...

Doozer
04-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by 86_lude_86
i heard about this car alram in germany but couldnt find anything on you tube.
when the thief sets off the alarm a flame thrower under the door angled up lets loose. i thought it was a sweet idea.

It was actually South Africa, and pretty illegal ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDrzMGdYWZc