PDA

View Full Version : High Efficiency furnace cost?

old&slow
04-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Does a High Efficiency cost $4800 installed?
Seems like a lot of money...

Tik-Tok
04-14-2008, 05:58 AM
A month ago there was a furnace installer with a display at Costco, he said a 90% one would be about $3500 installed. Don't remember the company though, sorry.

ExtraSlow
04-14-2008, 07:08 AM
I have a quote for a new furnace in front of me. Here is what they say:
- 95% furnace - $3800 extras (thermostat, plenum, condensate pump, humidifier etc) $1234
Total = $5034.

Now obviously, not everyone needs the condensate pump and plenum work, so you can't compare this straight across, but if your quote is all-in, then that's in the ballpark.

JordanLotoski
04-14-2008, 08:06 AM
I have a guy that will beat that price...pm me and ill send you his number.

x.staygold.x
04-15-2008, 01:24 PM
i could install the furnaces for a lot cheaper than that...i'm an HVAC technician. its what i do for a living. and i dont mind side jobs...

old&slow
04-15-2008, 04:10 PM
I think the install would be pretty simple in my case. House is only 10 years old. I want a decent HE furnace to put in...

ercchry
04-15-2008, 04:19 PM
yeah i've installed a few (with help since im still a first year) and they are cake, can get the old one out and new one in in under a day, you also have to remember that cost is going to vary depending on size

and installing a humidifier is cake and you can do that yourself, but with a furnace you will have to get it inspected too and the company doing the work should be able to organize all of that

but most of our quotes are for a lot more hours then it really does take us to do it

benyl
04-15-2008, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by old&slow
I think the install would be pretty simple in my case. House is only 10 years old. I want a decent HE furnace to put in...

An HE furnace usually exhaust out the side of the house, not up the normal stack. So they will likely need to drill a hole in the side of your house.

Tik-Tok
04-15-2008, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by benyl

An HE furnace usually exhaust out the side of the house, not up the normal stack. So they will likely need to drill a hole in the side of your house.

You can still use your old chimney, but you may run into moisture problems because the exhaust air doesn't escape as fast (as it's not as hot). If I were to install a High-Eff furnace, I'd probably try to retrofit a smaller exhaust inside my current chimney.