PDA

View Full Version : Did U C What Avery Did In Game 3?

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 04:55 PM
Now was that legal cuz it really pissed me off since im a devils fan.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=399819

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Ec_2oKWe2Gw

or

http://youtube.com/watch?v=j1GW7hcpnoE&feature=related

pf0sh0
04-14-2008, 04:59 PM
LOL, that is fuggin' dumb, but they won right?

urbannomad
04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
:eek:
:rofl:

He's an intelligent player, using his stick, and not hitting anyone. I think it's ok....:dunno:

But still hilarious, you'd think those types of things are things that would show up in a mighty ducks movie or something rather...

But still made me laugh.

max_boost
04-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Yeah they changed the rule or the interpretation of the rule because of him. Next time that happens, it'll be an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I didn't like those antics. I think it's creative but that's not part of hockey.....

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Originally posted by pf0sh0
LOL, that is fuggin' dumb, but they won right?

the devils won in the ot.. . but that is stupid that he did it. i noe hes an annoying player and i hate him but he didnt have to push it to that point juss to distract marty.

Mr. Burns
04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
it was a dick move if you ask me... would have loved to see brodeur flatten him.

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
brodeur shoved his stick in between his legs and facewashed him lol

Weapon_R
04-14-2008, 05:13 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Golden

510-Trevor
04-14-2008, 05:14 PM
Nobody's ever accused Avrey of being a good sport, so what do you expect. I didn't like the waving of the stick, but the rest, was freaken hilarious unlike his usual cheapshots behind the play.
I'm surprised Brodeur didn't just smoke him. Then it would have been even funnier.

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
lol i want to c the fight between them happen again.. then c clarkson jumpin and beat the shit outa avery lol

jay42w8
04-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Lol, that's sweeeet....we might get him next season haha, him and Alex Burrows, u thought us Nucks were annoying now...watch out!

dezmarez
04-14-2008, 05:21 PM
haha i thought it was hilarious
but ya clearly unsportsmanlike
should have been called during the game even without this "new rule"
but ya every player has a role and avery is effective
leading the series in points!!!

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 05:22 PM
i would love to c avery go out west. so we would have to c him 6 or 8 times during the season

finboy
04-14-2008, 05:28 PM
pretty smart IMO

NJ devils, use spell check before you post.

98type_r
04-14-2008, 05:31 PM
It's all well and good to set up a screen on a goaltender but when the jackass isn't even watching the play then yeah it's a dick move. As far as I'm concerned Avery's antics and his big mouth should never have been allowed to make it to the NHL.
Bettman talked about it last night and they said that the league would address in either in the form of goaltender interference or unsportsmanlike conduct.

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 05:45 PM
i juss type to get the point across and to save some time ok? lol

icecreamvan
04-14-2008, 05:56 PM
It's well within the rules. So I don't get what the big fuss is about. :dunno:

BerserkerCatSplat
04-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan
It's well within the rules. So I don't get what the big fuss is about. :dunno:

Not anymore, the "unsportsmanlike conduct" rule has been altered after that example of idiocy.

dj_rice
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
NJ Devils = Ban

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

rmk
04-14-2008, 06:03 PM
the guy scored but he has no integrity. what a joke of a player.

eb0i
04-14-2008, 06:04 PM
I'm fine with it. If he wants to do that and keep his back to the play while his point men are winding up for shots then so be it. He's going to get one right to the back of the legs/back/neck. Plus its not like the d-men cannot push him out of Brodeur's face. They make it sound like the d were useless to do anything.

Supa Dexta
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
I hope he takes a slap shot to the spine if he does that again.

BigDannyCool
04-14-2008, 06:12 PM
that's just poor defense to let him do that. The devils will be ousted in 5

pome902
04-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by eb0i
I'm fine with it. If he wants to do that and keep his back to the play while his point men are winding up for shots then so be it. He's going to get one right to the back of the legs/back/neck. Plus its not like the d-men cannot push him out of Brodeur's face. They make it sound like the d were useless to do anything.

I totally agree with you on this one.

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice
NJ Devils = Ban

:goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

thanks man =Þ

Ajay
04-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Can't stand Sean Avery.

I liked it when he headed out East and we didn't have to see his ugly mug very often.

Enjoyed it when he was with the Kings and Phanuef and Warrener throttled him a couple of times.

He's a douche and shouldn't be in the NHL.

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Can't stand Sean Avery.

I liked it when he headed out East and we didn't have to see his ugly mug very often.

Enjoyed it when he was with the Kings and Phanuef and Warrener throttled him a couple of times.

He's a douche and shouldn't be in the NHL.

He's a douche and shouldn't be in the NHL

i agree

no_joke
04-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Thread title should be: "Did you see what the Devils allowed Avery to get away with?"

Seriously, he was being a pest (to the extreme!) but it was (past tense) well within the rules. Maybe it didn't live up to The Code (TM) and so someone on the Devils should have taken care of it. Colin White should have grabbed him by the collar and slapped him in the face with a copy of Girl Next Door.

qbrown
04-14-2008, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by no_joke
Thread title should be: "Did you see what the Devils allowed Avery to get away with?"

Seriously, he was being a pest (to the extreme!) but it was (past tense) well within the rules. Maybe it didn't live up to The Code (TM) and so someone on the Devils should have taken care of it. Colin White should have grabbed him by the collar and slapped him in the face with a copy of Girl Next Door.

Amen to that! But seriously ... Avery is a huge douch. The Devils need Scott Stevens back to level Avery as he is coming over the blue line with his head down :thumbsup:

:goflames:

NJ Devils
04-14-2008, 07:19 PM
lol now we got vitaly vishevski or how ever you spell his name. but it would b nice to c stevens and dano back for a couple of games. lol i would be awesome if he gets knocked out like Paul karya did in the stanley cup game.

Eleanor
04-14-2008, 08:48 PM

:werd: He was being a pest, but somebody should've done something.

88CRX
04-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by NJ Devils
would b nice to c

Do u realize how annoying that is 2 read when u type like dat.

pinoyhero
04-14-2008, 08:53 PM
The superpest strikes again, no penalty but sounds like the refs wont let that happen again

icecreamvan
04-14-2008, 09:02 PM
An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender's face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play.

Now watch Avery do it with his back to the goalie.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ryder_23
04-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool

its easier to see through that as a goalie, then two guys infront of you battling for ground. I think most of the screen shots are a result of your own player. And he wasnt much of a threat with what he was doing.

dezinr
04-14-2008, 09:23 PM
GO RANGERS!!!!!!!

HyperZell
04-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

Now watch Avery do it with his back to the goalie.:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Hahaha, I thought that the play was awesome. It's entertainment, and Avery is anything but boring. Yeah, it might not be sporting, but it sure was funny as hell. And if he really does do it with his back to the goalie that would just be over the top hilarious.

bobby_lu
04-14-2008, 09:36 PM
NJ Devils is more of a pest than Sean Avery IMO.

As for the play, the league already changed the rule to prevent further plays like this.

and if you need a translation:

YEAZZ I C WUT AVERY DID 2 BRODEUR

DID JUSSSI??

icecreamvan
04-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
NJ Devils is more of a pest than Sean Avery IMO.

As for the play, the league already changed the rule to prevent further plays like this.

and if you need a translation:

YEAZZ I C WUT AVERY DID 2 BRODEUR

Tanks4 Da Tranzlacion. I wuz wundring wutdafug u wurr tryun 2 said abuff.

D'z Nutz
04-14-2008, 09:55 PM
As annoying and irritating as I normally find Avery, I actually think what he did was funny. Really, he ends up making himself look more of jack ass than anything (which is saying a lot for him). It's just unfortunate he got a goal after it though. At least NJ won.

HybridTheory
04-14-2008, 10:04 PM
I think it was an unprofessional move, something that a 5 year old would do in Peewee hockey. But hey it worked :dunno:

MaLwa
04-14-2008, 10:32 PM
It was entertaining at the least, but Avery did make himself look like a douche. NJ Devil, please don't write like your text messaging your homeboys, it is annoying to read. The thread title is especially douchy as a result of this.

sexualbanana
04-14-2008, 11:24 PM
It was a smart play, but at the same time it was an annoying play that takes away from the game itself. I'm not surprised the League has already made a decision against crap like that, as they should.

Also, it was smart up to a point, but I think the ref warned him to stop it and he didn't, which could have gotten him an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty (which the ref is fully within his ability to do)

Ajay
04-14-2008, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

its easier to see through that as a goalie, then two guys infront of you battling for ground. I think most of the screen shots are a result of your own player. And he wasnt much of a threat with what he was doing.

Tell that to Brodeur

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=234281&lid=sublink04&lpos=headlines_main

sexualbanana
04-14-2008, 11:26 PM
The analysts said they asked goalies about that tactic and apparently one goalie, under a condition of anonymity, said:

"I've seen it before, but never in a reputable league." :rofl:

md14
04-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Avery's the man

You love him when he's on your team and you hate the guy when he's playing against you. Just like any pest, i'm sure plenty of calgary fans would love to have him on the flames. Anybody remeber Ville Nieminen?

I had a good laugh out of it too bad rangers lost :(

GO RANGERS GO

95teetee
04-15-2008, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by md14
Avery's the man

You love him when he's on your team and you hate the guy when he's playing against you. Just like any pest, i'm sure plenty of calgary fans would love to have him on the flames. Anybody remeber Ville Nieminen?

I had a good laugh out of it too bad rangers lost :(

GO RANGERS GO To me he's like Bertootsie. I'd hate him no matter where he played, including Calgary.
And Vile Ville had to much class to do something Avery would do:rofl:

95EG6P
04-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by dezmarez
haha i thought it was hilarious
but ya clearly unsportsmanlike
should have been called during the game even without this "new rule"
but ya every player has a role and avery is effective
leading the series in points!!!

+1

syeve
04-15-2008, 12:07 PM
It's funny, everyone is making a big deal about it but the players. They interviewed like ten NHL'ers and they all said "so what, at the time it was legal" Even Brodeur said it worked.

Weapon_R
04-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by syeve
It's funny, everyone is making a big deal about it but the players. They interviewed like ten NHL'ers and they all said "so what, at the time it was legal" Even Brodeur said it worked.

I agree. I thought it was ingenious and got under Brodeur's skin. That's the whole point, and it worked for a goal.

anarchy
04-15-2008, 12:27 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

I agree. I thought it was ingenious and got under Brodeur's skin. That's the whole point, and it worked for a goal. :werd:

I am no fan of Avery, I think he's a total dick that needs to be creamed. But I don't think you can argue the fact that he plays his role better than anyone. He is a pest, gets under your skin and put up the points as well.

It's ingenious that noone thought of it before. He takes of the risk of possibly drawing a high sticking penalty or having a goal disallowed for having his stick to high, but his goal is to screen the goalie and it worked as Brodeur can attest.

How is it any different than in basketball when a defender put his hand right in the face of a shooting player? How is this unsportsmanlike but talking trash isnt?

Anyways, I just think it was overblown and that the Devils D should just pwn him (although they were killing a 5 on 3 penalty.)

Quizzes
04-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8
Lol, that's sweeeet....we might get him next season haha, him and Alex Burrows, u thought us Nucks were annoying now...watch out!

Sean Avery hates French dudes...
Alex Burrows = French dude

I see them scrapping it out during practice.

Quizzes
04-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by BigDannyCool

It was during a 5-on-3 powerplay for the Rangers... Devils can't be breaking up their triangle formation for that shite.

mikestypes
04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
Plus its not like the d-men cannot push him out of Brodeur's face. They make it sound like the d were useless to do anything.

Have you not been watching hockey for the last 4 years? Ever since the major rules changes brought in, the D cannot do ANYTHING about guys in front of the net. If they where to push him out of the way, it would be a penalty for interference.

Kavy
04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I 2nd Avery being a douche.

And to the above post..........yes you do break up the triangle to stop that shit even if you take another penalty you have to let the other team know they can't get away with that.

You just make sure if you stop it you make a good point of it, ie cross check to the teeth.

cdulm
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Nothing wrong with what Avery did. He put a spin on screening the goalie. Being a goalie personally, yeah it would piss me off but it was a smart play. He didn't interfere at all just moved around and distracted Brodeur!

NJ Devils
04-15-2008, 02:00 PM
but the thing is that Avery didn't score when he was doing his antics. He scored after the puck was cleared and i don't think that was Marty. It was just a good play from behind the net. Sorry for the text like words. but it was funny what the players had to say about it

Quizzes
04-16-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Kavy
And to the above post..........yes you do break up the triangle to stop that shit even if you take another penalty you have to let the other team know they can't get away with that.

You just make sure if you stop it you make a good point of it, ie cross check to the teeth.

And risk being down ANOTHER two-men for a full two minutes? Not to mention a suspension would be imminent if a D were to do that. With the game being tied 1-1 at that point and NJ being down 2 games to none, they cannot afford to just "teach him a lesson".

sexualbanana
04-16-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by anarchy

How is it any different than in basketball when a defender put his hand right in the face of a shooting player? How is this unsportsmanlike but talking trash isnt?

Because it's a different game with a different set of rules. That's like asking Floyd Mayweather why he can't throw a knee because they do it all the time in UFC.

sexualbanana
04-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Kavy

So....

- Risk another 5 on 3.
- In a tie game.
- In a playoff game.

.... Great point. :thumbsdow

anarchy
04-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

Because it's a different game with a different set of rules. That's like asking Floyd Mayweather why he can't throw a knee because they do it all the time in UFC.

I disagree. I'm not comparing rules of the two sports. In basketball, you put your hand in the shooter's face so it makes it difficult to score. It's not against the rules.

In hockey, you stand in front of the goalie to screen him so he can't see the puck. It's not against the rules. And even the players admit, there's no rule for Avery doing what he did. It made him look ridiculous but he's just trying to stop Marty from seeing the puck (and he did it well). It was creative and I'm surprised noone thought of it sooner.

Of course, there are possible consequences with him doing so (ie. the goal being disallowed, someone pummelling Avery and there are injuries, Devils players doing it back to Lunqvuist which leads to a brawl etc).

But all I'm saying is, what he did was creative, effective, and most importantly, legal. I bet if it was Iginla doing that in front of the net, there would be a lot less outcry and a lot more people on this board applauding him for doing what it takes to win (and doing it legally).

95teetee
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Quizzes

And risk being down ANOTHER two-men for a full two minutes? Not to mention a suspension would be imminent if a D were to do that. With the game being tied 1-1 at that point and NJ being down 2 games to none, they cannot afford to just "teach him a lesson".
exactly. Wouldn't want to be Sean Avery in a preseason game against the Devils next year though.

icecreamvan
04-16-2008, 11:39 AM
Next up for Avery: Mooning the goalie.

sexualbanana
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM

I disagree. I'm not comparing rules of the two sports. In basketball, you put your hand in the shooter's face so it makes it difficult to score. It's not against the rules.

In hockey, you stand in front of the goalie to screen him so he can't see the puck. It's not against the rules. And even the players admit, there's no rule for Avery doing what he did. It made him look ridiculous but he's just trying to stop Marty from seeing the puck (and he did it well). It was creative and I'm surprised noone thought of it sooner.

Of course, there are possible consequences with him doing so (ie. the goal being disallowed, someone pummelling Avery and there are injuries, Devils players doing it back to Lunqvuist which leads to a brawl etc).

But all I'm saying is, what he did was creative, effective, and most importantly, legal. I bet if it was Iginla doing that in front of the net, there would be a lot less outcry and a lot more people on this board applauding him for doing what it takes to win (and doing it legally).

But it's against the rules in football to put your hands up to defend a pass if you're not looking back at the ball. So there's precedent for the rule change to go either way.

anarchy
04-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by sexualbanana

But it's against the rules in football to put your hands up to defend a pass if you're not looking back at the ball. So there's precedent for the rule change to go either way.
Such a rule exists?? I'm don't follow football very much other than watching the highlights, but I thought I've seen defenders get their hand up to defend without looking back. Maybe I'm wrong though.

Anyways, I'm not saying the league shouldn't have stepped in and said it should be a game misconduct. It does look ridiculous, and I'm sure they do not want every idiot standing in front of the goalie doing what Avery did.

I'm just saying that what he did was very clever and legal (at the time). He got away with it, the rules have changed, and now he'll find another way to get under the Devils' skin.

I really do not like Avery but you gotta respect him as a player. He does what he's supposed to do extremely well.

If anyone read the story this season about him turning down Shanahan's offer to help him with his shot (rather rudely), then you'll know this guy's a complete dick.

sexualbanana
04-16-2008, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah, it's certainly creative. It's what Avery does and not a lot of people fault him for it. They just say he looks like a retard.

DelSoln
04-16-2008, 05:47 PM

Such a rule exists?? I'm don't follow football very much other than watching the highlights, but I thought I've seen defenders get their hand up to defend without looking back. Maybe I'm wrong though.

It's an automatic pass interference call when the defender doesn't look back for the pass and just screens the reciever.

D'z Nutz
04-19-2008, 03:00 AM
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=360978&page=NewsPage&service=page

X65IE-nNnq0

Haha

HybridTheory
04-19-2008, 12:12 PM
Avery's comments after the game "Fatso forgot to shake my hand"

What does everyone think of Brodeur not shaking hands with him?

88CRX
04-19-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by HybridTheory
Avery's comments after the game "Fatso forgot to shake my hand"

What does everyone think of Brodeur not shaking hands with him?

I have no problem with it.... who really cares, I'm sure this happens alot more then we think or hear from the media.

ZorroAMG
04-19-2008, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by jay42w8

Wow that's fancy...so then the canucks will be annoying AND shitty...sweet.

rmk
04-19-2008, 03:06 PM
Brodeur has integrity. I applaud him for not wanting to shake Averys hand. Evidence of how much a tool SA is were his comments after the game. Grade A loser.

Eleanor
04-20-2008, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by rmk
Brodeur has integrity. I applaud him for not wanting to shake Averys hand. Evidence of how much a tool SA is were his comments after the game. Grade A loser.

:werd: I wouldn't have shaken his hand either after the shit he's pulled.

I can't believe Elisha dated him :cry: