PDA

View Full Version : Used my Cyclo today

2EFNFAST
04-15-2008, 01:13 AM
I've spent the last ~10yrs hand polishing and waxing.

Figured I'd try a Cyclo polisher and I must say, I'm damn impressed.

My first job ever was on a black g35 - no marring, holligrams, or anything. Pretty damn good - a black car with an insanely soft clearcoat - for a newbie with a buffer.

I definitely recommend a Cyclo over wasting your time with one of the generic off-the-shelf buffers if you've never done this before :thumbsup:

Also, it's a fricken WASTE of time to hand polish. I used to think I was accomplishing something - now that I've machine polished I see I was just wasting time.

mo_money2supe
04-15-2008, 01:20 AM
How much does one of these systems cost? Where can someone get a hold of one of these polishers? Also, did you use any hard compounds/polishers to roughen the clear coat before buffing and waxing it? Are there any chances of burning through the paint at all? I'm sick of hand polishing too, and the cheap $30 buffer I bought doesn't do polishing any justice.

sneek
04-15-2008, 01:32 AM
The cyclo isn't a bad tool to use. Vibration is much less than most other D/As. One thing I hate is the lack of speed control and power. The thing is a giant silver polishing machine with a switch. Kind of like a glorified mixer. The one thing is the cyclo isn't cheap. Usually well about the $200 range, and for that price you could get a Flex. Are 2 heads better than one..I dont know. It is hard to get that thing into tight corners, so this will greatly increase the amount of edging work that you will have to do.

I do agree that it is much better than something off the shelf...but think about it, it costs probably 10 times more when you look at it. I would be more inclinded to get a flex or porter cable with a pad kit. One thing that kills the PC is it bogs down like no bodies business. People say that the Cyclo doesn;t bog down...but it does, if you force those tiny 4" pads down they will struggle. The new pads that go on the cyclo are a dramatic improvement over those rubber boots though, thats for sure. The power feels more direct, and (not sure if this is psychological or not) but the pad spins faster under load.

I am not sure if a flex can do more correction or not, but I imagine it would, but the cyclo is a good machine...for larger flatter surfaces. Personally in tight spots it is VERY tedious to have to use the Cyclo.

Nica
04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
I would have to agree with sneek on this, I too have several polishing tools one of them being a Cyclo and if your going to be spending the money you wont go wrong with the Flex.

It's got just as much power if not more and it's not as bulky, don't get me wrong the Cyclo works and it works well, it's a well built machine but I personaly didn't like the size...but that's just my personal taste.

Flex has more then enough power to correct paint oh but I don't like the vibration of the Flex, that's why I usually stick to my Metabo rotary.

The Porter Cable isn't a bad machien either but boy does it ever vibrate.

Last time I checked there actually is a store here in Calgary that sells the Cyclo, but you have to wait for them to order it in for you...you might as well just order it online for your self but that's just me.

2EFNFAST
04-16-2008, 01:35 PM
I have no doubt the Flex can do better correction - Cyclo only spins at 3,500 , but for a total novice it seems to be a great tool - no marring, no holigrams, no chance of burning the paint.

I'll give up a little bit of ability for something that's totally idiot proof :D

sneek
04-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I have no doubt the Flex can do better correction - Cyclo only spins at 3,500 , but for a total novice it seems to be a great tool - no marring, no holigrams, no chance of burning the paint.

I'll give up a little bit of ability for something that's totally idiot proof :D

Oh don't get me wrong, the Cyclo can do A LOT of correction! It is a good machine, I just wanted to let you know there are other options out there.

Supposedly Cyclo was testing something a while back that would make the system cut faster, but it had the risk of burning paint so they scrapped it. One HUGE thing for cyclo is their tools are almost idiot proof, and they can cover a large area quite quickly. My first preference is always rotary, but by no means should someone with no experience try it on anything other than a scrap panel/car.

2EFNFAST
07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
I re-polished it now that I have a few months of experience under my belt with it. Came out absolutely fantastic! Really recommend looking at a cyclo if you're a noob to detailing!

I usually use green(pads)/(meguiars) 83, then if there's some markings left behind green(pads)/(meguiar's) 80 ..... for some reason though green/83 seems to usually be sufficient, and I can't tell a difference with the 80.

No swirls! (but lots of dusting I havn't wiped off yet, or done the windows/door jambs!)

http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08290/cy2747.jpg

Shiny shiny
http://xs129.xs.to/xs129/08290/w1461.jpg

Reflective reflective
http://xs129.xs.to/xs129/08290/w2b376.jpg

Go go cyclo power :thumbsup:

97'Scort
07-26-2008, 12:01 PM
^ More pics of that half-assembled thing in the reflection, please :)

JAYMEZ
07-26-2008, 12:03 PM
You got the freaking batmobile in your garage lol?

RUQUIKR
07-26-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Agreed!

2EFNFAST
07-27-2008, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

Half-ass half-assembled thing in another reflection :rofl:

http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08290/cy4553.jpg

bituerbo
07-27-2008, 01:14 AM
Dude for real, what are you building!

adamc
07-28-2008, 01:58 PM
I need some paint correction like wo, how much do ya charge? :)

n1zm0
07-28-2008, 02:09 PM
wow witf is that thing?, those are the front tires (judging by the tread direction)?! like 350's in the front or what? (if htere is even such thing :eek:
more pics of the batmobile pls!

Graham_A_M
07-28-2008, 05:25 PM
Also, it's a fricken WASTE of time to hand polish. I used to think I was accomplishing something - now that I've machine polished I see I was just wasting time.

how so? I do my waxes by hand since I'm deathly affraid of swirl marks or just ruining my paint in some way or another.

BTW, are you building a kit car? sure looks like it with that tube frame and so on.

2EFNFAST
07-29-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by adamc
I need some paint correction like wo, how much do ya charge? :)

Sorry, I'm just glad I only have to do this once every year or two! Detailing is fun for the first few hours, then it's like :whipped:

Gotta give mad props to people who do this for a living - my back, knees, and shoulders are aching like crazy afterwards

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

how so? I do my waxes by hand since I'm deathly affraid of swirl marks or just ruining my paint in some way or another.

BTW, are you building a kit car? sure looks like it with that tube frame and so on.

ding ding - kit car - factory five.

Waxing doesn't correct, and thus doesn't use any abrassives - you can do that by hand if you like.

If you have scratches, swirl marks, whatever, that you want to remove, you have to use an abrassive (polish). You NEED to do it with a buffer - you need to generate heat to break down the polish, and that just isn't happening by hand.

I used to be like you - deathly afraid of swirls, burning my paint, etc... - however, let me assure you there's no way to do that with the cyclo. it's completely idiot proof. PLUS the nice thing is that you now have the confidence and ability to fix minor/moderate damage that occur naturally from use overtime.

I really wish I had a before picture - very swirled and scratched, as it's a dialy driver (5 1/2yrs old, last time it was waxed was 2005, major swirls and whatnot on it)

edit: the hardest thing with the cyclo is finding a regime you like, and sticking with it.

For me, that's either:

orange pad/meguairs 83 then green pad/meguiars 83

or just green pad/meguias 83

then onto waxing

Graham_A_M
07-30-2008, 02:59 PM
http://xs229.xs.to/xs229/08290/cy4553.jpg
BERFORE

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

^ After. Props on the GTM. I was seriously considering one, in fact I still am, quite a bit of performance for $60k turn key.
:clap: :clap:

I used to be like you - deathly afraid of swirls, burning my paint, etc... - however, let me assure you there's no way to do that with the cyclo. it's completely idiot proof. PLUS the nice thing is that you now have the confidence and ability to fix minor/moderate damage that occur naturally from use overtime.
Sweet, I'll have to pick one up then:) Where did you get yours if you dont mind me asking?

2EFNFAST
07-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M

BERFORE

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

^ After. Props on the GTM. I was seriously considering one, in fact I still am, quite a bit of performance for $60k turn key.
:clap: :clap:

Sweet, I'll have to pick one up then:) Where did you get yours if you dont mind me asking?

Not GTM, they arn't importable into Canada yet ;)

Plus I don't have anywhere near the skill to build one :rofl: .... from what I've seen $60k is really bare bones basic, I would budget upwards of $80k if I were ever to build one; heck, my Cobra has around $75k into it, lol.........let's just say it's slightly more than your typical 302/351w build ;)

I get all my detailing stuff from Autogeek
http://www.autogeek.net/shipping.html

E-shine.ca is another good source, but they have a more limited product range (however, I really like their tornado microfiber detailing cloths)