PDA

View Full Version : TD Insurance totally screwed me over with bike insurance..

Hollywood
04-15-2008, 12:46 PM
So I have been with TD for a year for a dirtbike and like 8 years cars, house. So I have my YZ insured with them, I go to add the gas gas and they said they wont insure the gas gas, that it's on their dont insure list. They also said that they noticed I don't have my class 6 so they threatened to remove my insurance ont he YZ so I said well if you are not going to insure the gas gas then I will find a new insurance company for both bikes anyways. So I sign up with primum takes like 35 min on the phone, both bikes no problem, class 6 never even comes up in the conversation, Primmum is a sister company to TD. I only insure to ride in the trails at this point.

1 day later TD calls me leaves a message giving me the gears about the class 6. I then just called an canceled the insurance.

5 days later I get this call on my answering machine. "hello this is Mike from TD....I mean Primmum, we...I mean....I just happened to look over your policy and find you don't have your class 6, we cant insure you, please call us"

What a forking scam so TD told primmum about me not have a class 6, when he said "we" that means someone was trying real hard to throw me under the bus there, despite I canceled with TD....

Man do I feel bullied by a large corporation...that seemed to even take the time out of their day to screw me over....We don't even need class 6's to ride in the trails!! This whole trail registration/insurance feels quite mismanaged by the government. May be my rights were violated by TD may be they were not, but man I feel like they have been....

Looking for a new insurtance company...I'm getting my class 6 but not for a month.

GTS Jeff
04-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Primmum = TD Insurance

So basically, you cancelled with TD and tried reapplying with them. :)

Weapon_R
04-15-2008, 12:57 PM
Dirty companies...Refusing to insure unlicensed drivers FTL:thumbsdow

97'Scort
04-15-2008, 01:00 PM
TD has the best customer service of any insurance company I've ever been with. They wouldn't refuse without a good reason, and you gave them one by not having a class 6. That's how it works.

Euro_Trash
04-15-2008, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort
TD has the best customer service of any insurance company I've ever been with. They wouldn't refuse without a good reason, and you gave them one by not having a class 6. That's how it works.

If you don't need your class 6 to ride trails, why would they deny him?

Hollywood
04-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Dirty companies...Refusing to insure unlicensed drivers FTL:thumbsdow

Very funny, looks like you guys might be a little slow on the times...So don't comment if you have no clue on the rules! DRRRRR.....:banghead:

YOU DO NOT NEED A CLASS 6 TO RIDE A DIRT BIKE OFFROAD, THIS IS THE LAW. TRAILS OR TRACK.

You dont even need a class 6 to drive on the street with a friend who has a class 6. People under 16 cannot obtain class 6's. So does that mean if your 14 you get get any insurance for your bike? To protect it from theft even? With these rules yes.

Rat Fink
04-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

If you don't need your class 6 to ride trails, why would they deny him?

So from TDs end you have a guy with no license to ride a bike, wanting to ride trails. I would say trails are just as easy to get injured on than a city street.

Sorry but I take TDs side.

That's like saying. I have a truck, but won't drive it on roads. I'm just going to bomb around the bush with it, but fucking TD won't give me insurance on it because I don't have a drivers license. As far as they know, I don't even know how to drive. Fucking assholes.

It's covering their ass. They are the ones dishing out the insurance, I think they can make that rule with good reason.

Hollywood
04-15-2008, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Primmum = TD Insurance

So basically, you cancelled with TD and tried reapplying with them. :)

They are somewhat separate, as TD did not approve the gas gas but Primmum did. But as mentioned they are a sister company and I have primmum policy for the bikes at the moment.

Euro_Trash
04-15-2008, 01:14 PM
Is that the same though? (I honestly don't know) Is it legal to ride trails on a bike without a class 6, but illegal to drive a truck on trails without a license?

Hollywood
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Rat Fink

So from TDs end you have a guy with no license to ride a bike, wanting to ride trails. I would say trails are just as easy to get injured on than a city street.

Sorry but I take TDs side.

That's like saying. I have a truck, but won't drive it on roads. I'm just going to bomb around the bush with it, but fucking TD won't give me insurance on it because I don't have a drivers license. As far as they know, I don't even know how to drive. Fucking assholes.

It's covering their ass. They are the ones dishing out the insurance, I think they can make that rule with good reason.

Ahh but I have a class 5 for over 10 years, I know the rules of the road...There is a difference. A class 6 does not teach you how to ride a bike...just tells you the rules and tips.

Weapon_R
04-15-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood

Very funny, looks like you guys might be a little slow on the times...So don't comment if you have no clue on the rules! DRRRRR.....:banghead:

YOU DO NOT NEED A CLASS 6 TO RIDE A DIRT BIKE OFFROAD, THIS IS THE LAW. TRAILS OR TRACK.

You dont even need a class 6 to drive on the street with a friend who has a class 6. People under 16 cannot obtain class 6's. So does that mean if your 14 you get get any insurance for your bike? To protect it from theft even? With these rules yes.

Wow, you really are your brother's brother :banghead:

Just because it's legal to ride a dirtbike on a trail, doesn't mean that an insurance company is obligated to cater to unlicensed drivers. Get used to it, more companies are refusing to insure unlicensed drivers because the risks are high enough as it is.

Hollywood
04-15-2008, 01:19 PM

Just because it's legal to ride a dirtbike on a trail, doesn't mean that an insurance company is obligated to cater to unlicensed drivers. Get used to it, more companies are refusing to insure unlicensed drivers because the risks are high enough as it is.

Yes I am, and Im fine with it. I was an asshole long before he was on here. :thumbsup:

You are missing the point, If they dont insure cause of class 6 thats fine, but to spend the time to screw me over at primmum after I cancel with them is the issue.

97'Scort
04-15-2008, 01:20 PM
The problem here stems from liability. You can get theft insurance on anything no problem. But as soon as you say "comprehensive" coverage, then they want some assurance that you know what you're doing before they put a million bucks of their cash on the line.

Maybe they don't HAVE to, by law or whatever, require a class 6, but perhaps it's a company policy. Have a read over the policy you had before, there might be a clause in there about having a class 6.

Anyways, if you want no-hassle bike insurance, call the AMA. Never had an issue with them either.

97'Scort
04-15-2008, 01:22 PM

You are missing the point, If they dont insure cause of class 6 thats fine, but to spend the time to screw me over at primmum after I cancel with them is the issue.

Wow, two posts before I got my reply in :) Anyways, I'm willing to bet they have linked systems, so they just typed something in at TD, and the other guys could see it too. Probably took all of 5 seconds.

403Gemini
04-15-2008, 01:27 PM

They are somewhat separate, as TD did not approve the gas gas but Primmum did. But as mentioned they are a sister company and I have primmum policy for the bikes at the moment.

They're not somewhat seperate at all. Just like how ING is also Nordic, Novex, Allianz, Wellington... well the list goes on.

It's the same company, chances are they are the same adjusters looking after claims for both TD and Primmum, just different policy numbers... seeing as how i'm looking at my reference book and they share the same address.

edit: Reason why Primmum may have accepted the gas gas and TD didn't is Primmum MAY BE (im not sure how Meloche doesn it) TD's version of "facility" files - which are considered to be higher risk (atv's, dirt bikes, motorcycles, etc).

93mr2gt
04-15-2008, 01:28 PM

I dont know about best customer service, i use to insure my vehicles with them, but had a few bad experiences with them, attitude problems with their staff and the way they result things...i left them for a new company right after my term was over

403Gemini
04-15-2008, 01:31 PM

Yes I am, and Im fine with it. I was an asshole long before he was on here. :thumbsup:

Also keep in mind, that 35 min phone call you made didn't actually set you up with insurance... thats just temporary insurance while they do their paperwork.

Your old policy # is like your doctors record, it follows you whereever you go. Claims history follows you no matter which company you switch too so chances are the underwriters in TD put a note "No class 6" so when the underwriter for primmum was setting up your policy, he probably looked at your history.

2BLUE
04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
You DONT need class 6 for the trails!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to bluecircle.ca

GTS Jeff
04-15-2008, 11:49 PM

They are somewhat separate, as TD did not approve the gas gas but Primmum did. But as mentioned they are a sister company and I have primmum policy for the bikes at the moment. I think the way it works is that Primmum is the actual insurance company that handles all the work for TD. When I used to be on TD Insurance, I received all my insurance docs and pink slips with Primmum on the top. And in fact, any time I called TD Insurance, it would transfer straight to Primmum. The good news for you is that Primmum's office is in Calgary, so if you want, you can sic your brother on them.

I'm on Meloche Monnex now, which is a subsidiary of TD, so you'll want to avoid them too.

snowboard
04-15-2008, 11:59 PM
yah im sorry but some of you are stupid as fuck
"not insuring unlicensed drivers"
how do you think kids ride dirtbikes?? with a fake????
wtf? either way, i'd lose it if someone said they cant insure my dirrttbike because of class 6. trails are NOT dangerous in comparison to riding on the road no mattter how you look at it.

Proboscis
04-16-2008, 12:40 AM
49 zip zip

GT4rally
04-16-2008, 03:15 AM
Having a "licence" should have nothing to do with insuring an off-highway vehicle, since it is NOT REQUIRED to operate such a vehicle on private property OR crown land, NOR IS IT OPTIONAL to have a licence, of any kind, to operate one.

A "class 6" licence is for highway legal vehicles only.

It's like telling someone to get a bus opertator's licence before they will insure their 4-door sedan.

TD, or any other insurance company, have no right to ask for that!

Mibz
04-16-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by GT4rally
Having a "licence" should have nothing to do with insuring an off-highway vehicle, since it is NOT REQUIRED to operate such a vehicle on private property OR crown land, NOR IS IT OPTIONAL to have a licence, of any kind, to operate one.

It's like telling someone to get a bus opertator's licence before they will insure their 4-door sedan.

TD, or any other insurance company, have no right to ask for that! You're right, a license is not required to operate a vehicle off-road, but.... Can an insurance company refuse you coverage for whatever reason they see fit? Yes. It's like McDonalds telling you they won't serve you if you're not wearing a shirt and shoes. Do you need those to eat a burger? Absolutely not, but it's their house and their rules. Same goes with insurance. If you don't like it, find somebody who will insure you.

Rat Fink
04-16-2008, 09:06 AM
What's the point of this bitch fest anyways?

The OP said he's getting his class 6 next month. oooooh, a whole 2 weeks away.

Want insurance with TD? get your license, suck it up, and get coverage. They can make their own company policies. Judging by their bank account versus yours, I think they are a little further ahead in that game.

They hardly fucked you over. It's not like you crashed and they denied you coverage. They simply told you no license = no coverage. It's their policy, who cares if it is one step tighter than the law. Why is it like that? Because they can make it like that! The world isn't full of soft blankets and bubble baths.

The Cosworth
04-16-2008, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by snowboard
yah im sorry but some of you are stupid as fuck
"not insuring unlicensed drivers"
how do you think kids ride dirtbikes?? with a fake????
wtf? either way, i'd lose it if someone said they cant insure my dirrttbike because of class 6. trails are NOT dangerous in comparison to riding on the road no mattter how you look at it.

$50.00 says that the 12 year old kids riding the bikes aren't the ones paying the insurance or have the policy in their names. :rolleyes:

Also I know on my enduro all I had was Fire/Theft/Vandalism (and PLPD but that is besides the point) as they said that the risk of crashing a dirt bike was too high for them to offer Comprehensive for me

canuckcarguy
04-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Let me get this straight. TD told you they wouldn't insure you because you didn't have a class 6. (Which apparently means that their actuarial tables indicate that people who bother to get a class 6 are at a lower risk for accidents.) Anyway, it's their right to deny you coverage if they feel like it.

But you hate TD so much for this that you... wait for it... go and ask a TD subsidiary for insurance? That just sounds stupid. It's like you hate GM because your Buick is a POS, so you trade it in for a Pontiac and dance a victory dance for your stunning brilliance.

:dunno: :dunno:

Velox
04-16-2008, 09:35 AM
try nordic insurance or state farm

Unknown303
04-16-2008, 09:45 AM
This thread is Ridiculars :drama:

kvanderlaag
04-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Q: How do you think 12 year old kids ride dirt bikes? With a fake?

A: No, without insurance and at their own risk. Or insured by someone who's stupid enough to say yes.

If there's no law that says you need a class 6 to ride a bike off-road, I'll bet there's no law that says insurance companies have to insure you even if. As such, yeah: It's their house, and so you play by their rules. Don't like it? Find someone who will do it. TD hasn't 'screwed' you, you're just used, apparently, to telling people what you want and getting it, or at least you seem to expect it.

I have insurance on my Supras with Meloche Monnex. I have owned ten vehicles in the past two years, and kind of switch my insurance policy around on a whim every so often. They have been VERY accommodating, so I don't know what the hell everyone's problem with TD and TD subsidiaries is.

mekeni
04-16-2008, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Unknown303
This thread is Ridiculars

:werd:

Primmum = TD Insurance !

IRL
04-16-2008, 10:10 AM

This has to be the worst "comparison" I have ever seen on here. TD is insuring a BIKE, therefore with a class 6 they will know you undersand basic riding/safety skills via a class 6 road test wether you take your bike on/off trails.

Side note, massive thumbs up for TD insurance today as they went above and beyond normal customer service for my claim. Originally going to be a 50/50 split no fault accident...TD faught my claim purely on principle and went 100% other guys fault. 2 months later, zero deductable 2 weeks paid rental waiting for me this morning. :thumbsup:

canuckcarguy
04-16-2008, 01:18 PM
I also insure with TD/Meloche Monnex, and I'm a chronic car trader. I probably add or subtract a vehicle every 3-4 months, and they are terrific to deal with. I have my house insurance with them, and made a claim a couple of years ago; they couldn't have been more agreeable. My wife had a fender bender a couple of years ago, smoothest claim process ever. I insure an exotic car with them, they didn't hesitate, and their rate was excellent.

I guess, though, in fairness, I'm a licensed driver, so that makes them treat me well...

Hollywood
04-16-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Also keep in mind, that 35 min phone call you made didn't actually set you up with insurance... thats just temporary insurance while they do their paperwork.

Your old policy # is like your doctors record, it follows you whereever you go. Claims history follows you no matter which company you switch too so chances are the underwriters in TD put a note "No class 6" so when the underwriter for primmum was setting up your policy, he probably looked at your history.

Yup this is possibly what happened.

TD, or any other insurance company, have no right to ask for that!

Werd. Class 5 is a class 6 learners as well, something to keep in mind.

Originally posted by Rat Fink
What's the point of this bitch fest anyways?

The OP said he's getting his class 6 next month. oooooh, a whole 2 weeks away.

Want insurance with TD? get your license, suck it up, and get coverage. They can make their own company policies. Judging by their bank account versus yours, I think they are a little further ahead in that game.

They hardly fucked you over. It's not like you crashed and they denied you coverage. They simply told you no license = no coverage. It's their policy, who cares if it is one step tighter than the law. Why is it like that? Because they can make it like that! The world isn't full of soft blankets and bubble baths.

Dont worry, I had the bubble bath, and it was at your moms house!!

Originally posted by canuckcarguy
But you hate TD so much for this that you... wait for it... go and ask a TD subsidiary for insurance? That just sounds stupid. It's like you hate GM because your Buick is a POS, so you trade it in for a Pontiac and dance a victory dance for your stunning brilliance.

:dunno: :dunno:

Wow that's pretty intelligent for a dumb ass who was not able to even comprehend my original post??? I switched from TD to primmum because TD would not insure my gas gas and but primmum would. TD asked me if I had a class 6 when I signed up, primmum didnt.

For the record I had Primmum before TD bought them. All of my policies have TD all over them and no primmum markings, except my new primmum policy.

I am going to call them today and record the coversation as I am going to dispute this class 6 bullshit with them.

Yes I know its up to TD to make up what ever rules they want. It's all about money in the end, as they would rather loose a loyal 8 year customer, with 1 house, 3 cars, 2 bikes insured over the risk of me not having my class 6...

Rat Fink
04-16-2008, 02:20 PM

Dont worry, I had the bubble bath, and it was at your moms house!!

:rofl: you little shit. I'll get you back. Sometime, someday, I'll come out of nowhere in a future thread and get you. haha.

heavyD
04-16-2008, 02:26 PM

FUCK YOU!:whipped:

The Cosworth
04-16-2008, 02:28 PM

no it isn't

you still need to take the learners written test at a registry to have your motorcycle learners

Masked Bandit
04-16-2008, 02:32 PM

Ummmmm.....no it isn't. You need to do the written exam.

The Cosworth
04-16-2008, 02:41 PM
^^ haha beat you to it. ;)

I have to admit, this is starting to make more sense

canuckcarguy
04-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Wow that's pretty intelligent for a dumb ass who was not able to even comprehend my original post??? I switched from TD to primmum because TD would not insure my gas gas and but primmum would. TD asked me if I had a class 6 when I signed up, primmum didnt.

For the record I had Primmum before TD bought them. All of my policies have TD all over them and no primmum markings, except my new primmum policy.

I am going to call them today and record the coversation as I am going to dispute this class 6 bullshit with them.

Yes I know its up to TD to make up what ever rules they want. It's all about money in the end, as they would rather loose a loyal 8 year customer, with 1 house, 3 cars, 2 bikes insured over the risk of me not having my class 6...

Yep, they're going to change their whole insurance underwriting policy because somebody 2 weeks away from getting his class 6 license is threatening to leave. You really believe this, and I'm the dumb ass? I guess they'll "loose" your business after all...:rofl:

Mazstyle
04-16-2008, 10:51 PM
I'm with TD/Primmum and have had 2 different YZ's insured with them WITHOUT a class 6.... but I lied ;) Just give em your class 5 license number and their computer will be satisfied.

Primmum is a good company, they're pretty helpful. I've had reps call me back and tell me they found another way to save me money on their system...

Palmiros
04-16-2008, 11:16 PM
-Sigh-
Yes, I know you don't need a class 6 to ride on trails; but FFS get the class 6 already and get on with your life.

Mazstyle
04-28-2008, 07:42 PM
TD JUST SCREWED ME OVER FAWK.

So like I said I lied to get my off-road bike insured, I just bought a street bike and they wanted my class 6 again, So I told them I have my learners and I'm going to get my license in about a week.

They won't let me insure my bike so now I can't take the fucking road test.

Cancel EVERYTHING I said about TD insurance / primmum earlier, they are a piece of shit company and I'm pulling my house and 2 other vehicles once I find another company.

I'm furious right now I just wasted hours of my life on the phone with them, and now I have to waste hours more getting quotes.

Hollywood
04-28-2008, 08:18 PM

Yep, they're going to change their whole insurance underwriting policy because somebody 2 weeks away from getting his class 6 license is threatening to leave. You really believe this, and I'm the dumb ass? I guess they'll "loose" your business after all...:rofl:

They almost did. Took them 3 days to decide, and yes you are the dumb ass! They gave me a weeks worth of insurance to find a new provider.

canuckcarguy
04-29-2008, 01:42 PM

They almost did. Took them 3 days to decide, and yes you are the dumb ass! They gave me a weeks worth of insurance to find a new provider.

wow. you sure rocked their world. A whole week's worth of insurance.

Incidentally, by now, haven't you passed the license yet? Was it really worth all this effort to get exactly one extra week on the road?

:clap: :rofl: :rofl:

Hollywood
04-29-2008, 10:00 PM

wow. you sure rocked their world. A whole week's worth of insurance.

Incidentally, by now, haven't you passed the license yet? Was it really worth all this effort to get exactly one extra week on the road?

:clap: :rofl: :rofl:

I wasnt rocking anyones world. What effort? I actually found cheaper insurance.

jayc613
09-24-2009, 07:51 AM
Riding a bike on the road and riding a bike on the trails is way different so why are people hating on this guy. 1 when you get insurance for on road use most of the coverage is for incase you run into another persons car or bike whatever. 2 Trails you arnt going as fast and its less dangerous. TD can be A$$holes sometimes they screwed me with my boat to. good luck man.

beyond_ban
09-24-2009, 08:03 AM
:facepalm: nice bump 09

Masked Bandit
09-24-2009, 08:06 AM
Sweet bump....we need more of these.