PDA

View Full Version : New form of SPAM?

benyl
04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
So I use google apps for my mailhost for benyl.com.

I am getting spam messages every 5 minutes or so that are Mail Delivery System undeliverable messages.

In the from address, it is some random name, but with my email address in it. So the email get bounced back to me.

The contents of the email are always "click this" or something along those lines.

Anybody have this problem?

bobby_lu
04-15-2008, 02:47 PM
Yes, I get those occasionally also.

But I cant answer your question, so this post is essentially useless.

googe
04-15-2008, 02:53 PM
those are pretty old, and the most likely cause is that someone that has your email address, either in their address book, contact list, whatever got infected and it harvested all of their addresses. then when it spams other people, it randomly picks one of the addresses it found (yours this time) and starts spamming other people using yours as the forged sender. so all these servers that it tried to spam are rejecting the message back to the sender (who has been forged as you) saying they were undeliverable. so, youre getting "backscatter" from the attack basically.

benyl
04-15-2008, 03:25 PM
What worries me about it is that my domain will be black listed and automatically send legit emails to the spam boxes of people I send emails too.

shadowz
04-15-2008, 03:37 PM
Directory Harvest Attack, been working on the same thing lately, been tracking it down to which machine was infected on a network, ill keep you updated

Khyron
04-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by benyl
What worries me about it is that my domain will be black listed and automatically send legit emails to the spam boxes of people I send emails too.

The anti-spam filters aren't stupid. You won't get blacklisted. The from address has been known to be uselessly forged for decades.