PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Lived (or Living) in Salmon Arm, BC?

BloNdie
04-16-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm having a hard time finding much information about living in Salmon Arm, BC. Basically we're getting tired of Calgary's fast pace and looking for a small town to relax. I don’t like the idea of rural Alberta, and we’ve fallen for Salmon Arm.

Houses don’t look too expensive, and there seems to be plenty of available jobs. That said, I’d really like to talk to someone who has experienced living there.

I know it’s busy there in the summers, which doesn’t bother us so much. Just wondering if there are any other negatives.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

The Cosworth
04-16-2008, 11:09 AM
I lived in Vernon last year and worked for the BC government.

One thing is that in the winters there is a lot of snow (suprisingly) and is VERY quiet.

Then in the summer is is VERY busy and hot/humid. Lots of Albertans with summer houses, nice cars, boats and lots of partying.

I would buy a vacation house there but am not sure if I would live there full time ever again.

2002civic
04-16-2008, 11:34 AM
we have a cabin in sicamous (10 minutes away) and it is a nice calm town at anytime but the summer, in the summer it becomes Alberta's playground and is not a place I would want to live permanently

brandon
04-16-2008, 11:37 AM
My family owns a cabin in Sicamous.. and I have stayed there for 6 months before..

It will make you hate life when it's not summer..

Maddog55
04-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie
I'm having a hard time finding much information about living in Salmon Arm, BC. Basically we're getting tired of Calgary's fast pace and looking for a small town to relax. I don’t like the idea of rural Alberta, and we’ve fallen for Salmon Arm.

Houses don’t look too expensive, and there seems to be plenty of available jobs. That said, I’d really like to talk to someone who has experienced living there.

I know it’s busy there in the summers, which doesn’t bother us so much. Just wondering if there are any other negatives.
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!

We'll be right behind you. We have friends in Grindrod...just south of Sicamous and minutes out of Enderby. Very quiet. We visit them every year. So nice to be close to all the lakes and beaches. Mara Lake, Shuswap, Lake Okanagan, Kalamalka...all within an hours drive..minutes to most of them. I would gladly move there in a minute if I could make a living..but not sure if a small town would support my line of work.

I think you'll love it there. Good luck. I've found some real lnice houses in the 300,000 range in the surrounding areas of Vernon and Salmon Arm. I like being close to Vernon though. as opposed to Salmon Arm.

mslbebiz
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
My aunt and uncle lived in Salmon Arm for a few years. Also, my grandpa lived just outside Vernon at the same time and everyone loved living there - and we loved visiting.

BloNdie
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by brandon
My family owns a cabin in Sicamous.. and I have stayed there for 6 months before..

It will make you hate life when it's not summer..

Thanks for everyones input, its great!

I can imagine the winter isnt ideal there, but it definately isnt great in Calgary either! I'm wondering why winter is so horrible there. If it is just because it is quiet, I'm not bothered. If it is because everyone gets laid off because all the tourists are gone- thats a different story.

The Cosworth
04-17-2008, 01:42 PM
^^ very slow depending on the industry, most shops (novelty especially) are closed, no one around, the restraunts/bars are empty to go and watch hockey games etc.

I liked it but I sat at home and watched A LOT of TV at night.

brandon
04-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by BloNdie

Thanks for everyones input, its great!

I can imagine the winter isnt ideal there, but it definately isnt great in Calgary either! I'm wondering why winter is so horrible there. If it is just because it is quiet, I'm not bothered. If it is because everyone gets laid off because all the tourists are gone- thats a different story.

Well during the winter months the whole area is very dark and gloomy with huge sidewalls of snow everywhere! nothing is open past 6 and half of the places are closed untill summer arrives again! Now if you had wanted to go somewhere afterwork.. ie: vernon, kelowna, kamloops ext.. it is all non-lighted highways with icy conditions..

I love the area to death! I just wouldn't do it for winter months again.