PDA

View Full Version : Lancer, Thoughts?

It's all I got
04-16-2008, 11:32 AM
I am thinking of getting rid of my '03 Maxima SE, I love it but it can be a gas pig.....

I have been thinking about the Lancer GTS. Anyone have any thoughts on it?

Couple of things have made me look at this vehicle, costs, looks (surprisingly), and warranty. It appears to have decent reviews.

I look forward to hearing from you

Team_Mclaren
04-16-2008, 12:14 PM
For the price , there are better cars out there than the lancer. Mazda3, rabbit, even the civic.

heavyD
04-16-2008, 12:18 PM
The 2009 Lancer GTS comes with a new 2.4L engine that gives the car Civic Si performance for less money and 0.82g on the skidpad. Reviews have been good and we've bought two new Mitsubishi's (2004 Lancer Ralliart and 2007 Outlander XLS) and have yet to make an unscheduled visit to the dealer. One thing of note is that the GTS comes with 18" wheels on low profile rubber so the ride suffers compared to other sedans with higher profile tires. I think it's the best looking sedan under $30K plus you won't get lost in the sea of Civic's and Mazda 3's in the city.

heavyD
04-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
For the price , there are better cars out there than the lancer. Mazda3, rabbit, even the civic.

I disagree as the Lancer will be more reliable than the Mazda 3 and Rabbit and a comparable Civic costs more money.

BigBadVlad
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
Isn't the lancer a little bit bigger and roomier car though when comparing to a Civic, Rabbit or Mazda 3 though?

The Cosworth
04-16-2008, 12:21 PM
I like the ES better than the GTS (that is the reason I bought it)

If i could go back I would buy the SE, I just hate the body kits (not because they are ugly, because everyone has it) so mine actually stands out without the standard kit. The only thing I wish I had was a sunroof.

Also the CVT tranny is no fun to drive, makes the car hard to mod, and has been a bit tempermental.

PM me if you have any other questions

ralliart_girl
04-16-2008, 12:23 PM
i don't know about the new one. but I have an 05 ralliart, and love it! I traded in my 02 golf for it...to be fair...the golf was a good ride too...but it caused me too many headaches for a car that i bought new.

GTS Jeff
04-16-2008, 01:50 PM
The idiots that think the Lancer costs less than a Civic have never heard of resale value. :dunno:

heavyD
04-16-2008, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
The idiots that think the Lancer costs less than a Civic have never heard of resale value. :dunno:

Initial cost and resale value are two different things. Civic will have higher resale value in Calgary for sure. No need to call names.

gpomp
04-16-2008, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by heavyD
Civic will have higher resale value in Calgary for sure. so will the lancer have better resale value than the civic in edmonton?

heavyD
04-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
so will the lancer have better resale value than the civic in edmonton?

The disparity isn't as large in other parts of the country. Calgary is a Honda city and used Hondas are way overpriced here compared to the rest of the country even Edmonton. Look at these boards for crying out loud. You can't have a post about another car without the usual Honda supremists spouting off. :rolleyes:

Xtrema
04-16-2008, 03:47 PM
Do you do a lot of driving? Do you get stuck in traffic a lot?

I doubt there will be much gas saving going from a 3.5L V6 to a 2.4L I4 unless you idle a lot. 10% at most.

But I would stick pick it over the Civic for the dash and warranty.

It's all I got
04-16-2008, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Do you do a lot of driving? Do you get stuck in traffic a lot?

I doubt there will be much gas saving going from a 3.5L V6 to a 2.4L I4 unless you idle a lot. 10% at most.

But I would stick pick it over the Civic for the dash and warranty.

I do a lot of driving....around 30-35k a year...and a lot of city time, but also some long road runs....

Wraith
04-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Have you looked at the Mazda6? I think it's awesome, but I'm biased.

redblack
04-16-2008, 08:34 PM
the lancer is cheaper and has a better warranty than a honda civic therefor its a better buy.

Toms-SC
04-16-2008, 08:35 PM
www.consumerreports.com

Is your friend.

Mazda 3 is recommended for that class of car.

gpomp
04-16-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by redblack
the lancer is cheaper and has a better warranty than a honda civic therefor its a better buy. why not get a hyundai accent? they sell for $9995 and come with a 10 year warranty... sounds like the BEST BUY to me. hell, i'm going to call hyundai tomorrow and order 2 of them.

The Cosworth
04-16-2008, 08:42 PM
I should add my friend has a M3 hatchback thingy, and it is a damned nice car too.

I like the aggressive look of my lancer better but I would definitely buy a M3.

chongkee_
04-16-2008, 08:46 PM
before I bought my Lancer I was deciding between the Lancer and a Civic, I chose the Lancer because theres too many Civics around and mitsubishi's got a better warranty. Lancer is cheaper and got more standard options.

Unknown303
04-16-2008, 09:18 PM
Plus the Lancer isn't a Honda which is always a big plus in the sea of Honda's rolling around.

aypi
04-16-2008, 09:23 PM
i'll say get the lancer but i'm biased coz i drive an 06 lancer RA but i also like the mazda6 but i think its out of your price range. :dunno:

test drive them both then see how you like them.

treg50
04-16-2008, 09:52 PM
Get the Lancer don't you want to impress your friends each weekend at the skidpad?!

why not get a hyundai accent? they sell for $9995 and come with a 10 year warranty... sounds like the BEST BUY to me. hell, i'm going to call hyundai tomorrow and order 2 of them.
:werd:
That puts Chrysler/Dodge in the running too, Caliber SE for $14K + they have a Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty! :rofl:

... No need to call names.
:rolleyes: Like your shit don't stink.

heavyD
04-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by treg50
Get the Lancer don't you want to impress your friends each weekend at the skidpad?!

:werd:
That puts Chrysler/Dodge in the running too, Caliber SE for $14K + they have a Lifetime Powertrain Limited Warranty! :rofl:

:rolleyes: Like your shit don't stink.

What's this got to do with my shit?:dunno:

heavyD
04-17-2008, 12:18 AM
why not get a hyundai accent? they sell for $9995 and come with a 10 year warranty... sounds like the BEST BUY to me. hell, i'm going to call hyundai tomorrow and order 2 of them.

Yeah I agree the Accent would probably be a better buy than a civic. It doesn't have the styling of a bubble and a fisher price instrument cluster.

ralliart_girl
04-17-2008, 12:25 AM
so the obvious answer here is you should test drive the cars you have in mind. when i purchased my car, I test drove the civic, mazda 3, corolla - basically anything that was japanese and around that class of vehicle.

All the cars on the list where fine, nothing really special, probably would have been fine with any of them - except I was impressed by the mazda 3's interior. The lancer ralliart was the last car that I test drove - I didn't bother with the 2.0 model....and I was very impressed with it. Walked into the dealership at about 5:15 and by 6:00 - had purchased the car.

I would like to add the new civic model is better than the model that test drove, but I still like my ralliart better.

my 2 cents.

IncredibleToad
04-17-2008, 12:41 AM
I'm on the fence about the new Lancer, the interior has gotten better for sure! As for pricing, I am interested in a car in this category right now as well (checked out the Si, it was pretty fun to drive! And I actually like the interior, its a love/hate thing) and I was curious about the Lancer GTS so i went and did some basic research and priced one out on the website.

Once i added their 'sun and sound package' (to put it on par with the Si, which comes std with a decent sound system and sunroof) it definitely costs more than the Si sedan. I know the warranty isn't as long for the civic, but my family has had Honda's for the past 3 cars and none have given us any headaches or reliability issues. I guess we've just got more faith in them from having a good history with Hondas. The Si also does better on the skidpad from what i remember seeing on edmunds or motortrend (forgot which one exactly). But the Si has recently had a TSB out for it, where a lot of people who own a car that uses the Honda 6 spd tranny (most notably the TSX and the Si's now...) have had an issue with 3rd gear "popping out" once in a while.

I find I see the new lancers a lot now too, but obviously not as much as the civic...but if you're looking to "stand out" and not get "lost in the sea of xxxx car"...neither choices are gonna help you with that then.

heavyD
04-17-2008, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by IncredibleToad
I find I see the new lancers a lot now too, but obviously not as much as the civic...but if you're looking to "stand out" and not get "lost in the sea of xxxx car"...neither choices are gonna help you with that then.

While there are still more Civics and M3's you are right in that I am starting to see alot of Lancers. Mitsubishi sales are way up due to the new Lancer and Outlanders.

403Gemini
04-17-2008, 02:07 PM
In the looks department i think the mazda 3 and the lancer look leaps and bounds better than the civic. Of course how they look is all relative to the buyer.

Reliability, you won't really beat the civic though, but you tend to pay more for that. Also if you're leasing it, you'll have warranty anyways so it doesnt really matter which vehicle you get into.

But the question is about Lancers - I think they are great cars. The interior is a bit bland and the exterior has some "look at me!" features to it (which some people enjoy, while other people dont like it)

treg50
04-17-2008, 03:06 PM
Hopefully wiith all the Civics around you can probably mod one relatively easily and for decent price. If you can afford it the Civic Si Coupe and Si Sedan are pretty nice. Surprisingly I've seen some hot Si Coupes (lowered, rims).

Dependability-wise, Mitsubishi can only dream of being as good as Honda.

Yeah I agree the Accent would probably be a better buy than a civic. It doesn't have the styling of a bubble and a fisher price instrument cluster.
Maybe the Lancer's the 2nd best buy to Accent because it doesn't look like a bubble. It looks like an angry shopping cart complete with a big shopping cart handle at the back.

The Lancer has good initial reviews and 1st-test drives, but then again so did the Mazda3 which is having it's share of problems now in the long-term since it's been out a few years.

Everlast
04-17-2008, 04:12 PM
Civics would be easier to resell later down the road. Calgary will always have it's ricer population :thumbsup:

ralliart_girl
04-17-2008, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by treg50
but then again so did the Mazda3 which is having it's share of problems now in the long-term since it's been out a few years.

Reason: Mazda = Ford

sillysod
04-17-2008, 06:36 PM
Wow... Maxima to a Lancer or a Mazda 3....

both lick ballz compared to the Max I'd keep the old car and run it into the ground before I traded it in on either of those.

Aleks
04-21-2008, 09:37 AM
Here is a C&D test of compact cars from the May issue.

No Civic or Mazda 3 because they already got beat by the Golf once.

http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1207242160.jpg
http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1207242177.jpg
http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1207242191.jpg
http://www.showyourmedia.com/files/1207242210.jpg

It's all I got
04-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by sillysod
Wow... Maxima to a Lancer or a Mazda 3....

both lick ballz compared to the Max I'd keep the old car and run it into the ground before I traded it in on either of those.

After I posted this I had to take a run down to Brooks for work..........I am keeping the Maxima and will be running it into the ground, which I suspect will take a few years (to say the least).

Also, after doing the math:

Gas for maxima per month ( I own it) is less than gas and car payment for smaller car.......

Thanks for all that posted.....

I guess I will just put some money into my Maxima.

Cheers

Mr_ET
04-21-2008, 10:05 AM
LoL so many fanboys in the thread :P

I would disregard anything HeavyD says because he is heavily biased towards all mistubishi products.

I sold mazdas for a bit so I know they are fun cars but reliability feels like it might be an issue 5 years from now.

If it's a 4 year lease, they are hard to beat.

The civic is very bland but seems to offer great gas mileage and based on the name alone should be quite reliable (this may not be true though)

The Lancer looks like it offers a decent package, looks pretty good, offers decent power and should handle pretty good with the bigger wheels on the GTS. Gas mileage will surely not be as good as the civic. The Mitsubishi name is pretty weak in Canada so resale value goes down the drain but from what I can tell, they seem to have pretty good reliability as well.

Stay away from all americans and I am still scrared to buy a VW because of reliability. I would wait another 2-3 years to see what the MKV does and if they have fixed that problem.

heavyD
04-21-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I would disregard anything HeavyD says because he is heavily biased towards all mistubishi products.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:You must be a tool. My last couple of cars have been Dodge and Toyota which is odd for someone so biased. I'm only speaking on behalf of my wife's last two vehicles which have been very reliable.

Kavy
04-23-2008, 12:38 AM
Its simple, if you have a vagina buy a mazda3 if you dont buy a Mitsu or a civic.

Downside to the mitsu is once the ralliart drops you will feel like an ass driving a gts.

Downside of driving a civic is the interior is cheapass and IMO (see that it says opinion) the suspension is weak.

I bought a Impreza 2.5i for my winter car and i love it, but im biased towards subby's so we wont go there.

Boosted Gtir
04-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Go with the rabbit.... torgue torgue torgue

heavyD
04-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Boosted Gtir
Go with the rabbit.... torgue torgue torgue

torgue is ridiculars:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by ralliart_girl
when i purchased my car, I test drove the civic, mazda 3, corolla - basically anything that was japanese.

Reason: Mazda = Ford

So, uh....ford is japanese?

403Gemini
04-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

Duh !

They're being renamed "Fowd" next year

ralliart_girl
04-24-2008, 12:08 PM

Ford is not Japanese.....but Madza, uses Ford engines...and other parts as well in their vehicles.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
^

Get a sense of humor honey! ;)

ralliart_girl
04-24-2008, 12:44 PM
^

Get a sense of humor honey! ;)

get a life muffin....

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 12:48 PM
This edit has been brought to you by the JRSC00LUDE society for goodwill and friendly forum relations. :D

mazdavirgin
04-24-2008, 12:58 PM
Ford is not Japanese.....but Madza, uses Ford engines...and other parts as well in their vehicles.

The mazda3 is built and assembled in Japan... If the mazda3 used fords part it would be a hell of a lot easier to mod but it doesn't so everyone is left waiting for mod community to start making stuff for their engines. So yeah... Mazda3 != Ford but some Mazda's do have Ford parts in them.

Mr_ET
04-24-2008, 01:21 PM
the 2.3L engine in the mazda3 is shared with Ford but as far as I know that's it.

ralliart_girl
04-24-2008, 01:52 PM

:cry: Still sore over arguing in that old thread? I apologize for ultimately being proven 100% correct in everything I stated, sorry if that still smarts. Guess elephants really do have a long memory.....

I guess they do.....

All i have to say is wow, your over abundance of confidence must compensate for your severe lack of something...

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 01:57 PM

I guess they do.....

All i have to say is wow, your over abundance of confidence must compensate for your severe lack of something...

Penis size and trap time. Could we play nice and be friends now? :)

mazdavirgin
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
the 2.3L engine in the mazda3 is shared with Ford but as far as I know that's it.

I don't know if that is the case mate. You can't use a header, cam, mani, made for the 2.3L ford engines on a mazda3. The parts simply don't fit without some significant effort/welding. It could be shared but I know for sure you can't use 2.3L Ford parts on the mazda3's engine without a lot of hassle.

ralliart_girl
04-24-2008, 02:07 PM

Penis size and trap time. Could we play nice and be friends now? :)

ok:D