PDA

View Full Version : Drifting in Calgary?

RMKS13
08-14-2003, 05:04 PM
Hey folks,

Anyone know of a place (perferrably legal) where one could practice drifting?

J

KoukiS14
08-14-2003, 05:16 PM
Gran Turismo 3

RMKS13
08-14-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Gran Turismo 3

Something maybe outdoors? In a real car? :nut:

rage2
08-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Check out the CSCC forums for times/date for test and tune sessions. A few of us are planning on using those sessions to get a bit of drifting done at the track.

StrokeD z
08-14-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by RMKS13

Something maybe outdoors? In a real car? :nut:

get a V3 racing wheel and build a cardbord box around yourself.......cant get more real than that :rofl:

fast95pony
08-14-2003, 09:52 PM
The Bow river,and a canoe without a paddle....

RMKS13
08-15-2003, 09:20 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Check out the CSCC forums for times/date for test and tune sessions. A few of us are planning on using those sessions to get a bit of drifting done at the track.

Ahh... sounds good :) By the way, were you the one with the SLK that showed up at the SOLO2 event last week? I heard there's at least 2 there.

HOK
08-16-2003, 02:44 AM
actually i was invited to a drift club awhile back it was a guy with a 86... dunno if it went dead since it was a couple years ago.. i think they did it at parking lots...

Z24
08-16-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by NismoS14
Gran Turismo 3

haha

Dr. Lightspeed
08-26-2003, 11:38 PM
HEHE Deerfoot on anyday after a good snowfall. I love it in Japan they call it drifting here we call it winterdriving lol.

Scat
08-27-2003, 12:59 PM
Drifting should be kept to the track for sure.

I have been having lots of bad experiences doing stuff like that on the streets in the past few weeks.

Go to the track so your car doesn't get wrecked if you screw up.

bart
08-29-2003, 08:12 AM
here:

http://members.shaw.ca/suffeks/jan%204th%20007.avi

you'll know where it is from the background... :)

calarina
08-29-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Dr. Lightspeed
HEHE Deerfoot on anyday after a good snowfall. I love it in Japan they call it drifting here we call it winterdriving lol.

:werd: :rofl:

Dr. Lightspeed
08-30-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by calarina

:werd: :rofl:

Do you think hangin the tail out is a new thing. WOW I must be getting old. The only thing new about it was judging it but we are not going to get some drift judge up here for this. Heck the US has to fly those guys in. Hangin the tailout lets see, Dirt track racing thats been around for a few years now( note the sarcasm) Oh here is one for you Ice racing. It was funny the guys at Apexi thought I was jokin when I told them that until i sent some pics.
Oh yea here are some more Sprint racing. Hangin the tail out is not a new thing it is just new in the Japanese sector. Wakeup

GTS Jeff
08-31-2003, 12:46 AM

Do you think hangin the tail out is a new thing. WOW I must be getting old. The only thing new about it was judging it but we are not going to get some drift judge up here for this. Heck the US has to fly those guys in. Hangin the tailout lets see, Dirt track racing thats been around for a few years now( note the sarcasm) Oh here is one for you Ice racing. It was funny the guys at Apexi thought I was jokin when I told them that until i sent some pics.
Oh yea here are some more Sprint racing. Hangin the tail out is not a new thing it is just new in the Japanese sector. Wakeup lol drifting is a lot more than just having a little sideslip while cornering.

sxtasy
08-31-2003, 01:00 AM
lol drifting is a lot more than just having a little sideslip while cornering:werd: "Basically, drifting is getting your car sideways down a road. It doesn't sound very hard does it? Sounds a lot like power sliding huh? Well it isn't. It's much more complex. Instead of a drifter causing a drift and then countering to straighten out, he will instead over-counter so his car goes into another drift. That is the reason many drifters do it in the mountains, because there are many sharp turns strung together. So in essence a good drifter has the ability to take five or six opposing turns without having traction at any point in time"

Dr. Lightspeed
08-31-2003, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by sxtasy
:werd: "Basically, drifting is getting your car sideways down a road. It doesn't sound very hard does it? Sounds a lot like power sliding huh? Well it isn't. It's much more complex. Instead of a drifter causing a drift and then countering to straighten out, he will instead over-counter so his car goes into another drift. That is the reason many drifters do it in the mountains, because there are many sharp turns strung together. So in essence a good drifter has the ability to take five or six opposing turns without having traction at any point in time"

Drifting is nothing more than controlled weight transfer if you lost the coefficient of friction. You would have no control. End of story.

GTS Jeff
09-01-2003, 02:05 PM
if you lost the coefficient of friction. You would have no control. End of story. coeff. of friction is not something that can be "lost".

bj4life
09-03-2003, 11:15 PM
you cant loose the coeff. of friction. the coeff of friction is the measurement of friction between the tires and the surface your driving on... it changes with the conditions and different surfaces

Dr. Lightspeed
09-04-2003, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
coeff. of friction is not something that can be "lost".

Originally posted by bj4life
you cant loose the coeff. of friction. the coeff of friction is the measurement of friction between the tires and the surface your driving on... it changes with the conditions and different surfaces

Ok all you freaking English nerds let me correwct my statement. If the coefficient of friction becomes 0.00 you have no control. Thankyou for pointing out my bad english. You all knew what I meant.

Ekliptix
09-04-2003, 12:20 PM
I have not seen anything on the RC website.

If anyone knows a date, let us know.

method
09-04-2003, 03:41 PM
only drifting I've ever seen was done by migs at a lapping event at race city.

all the porsche and subie drivers whined and complained and twisted their panties over it.

unlike cali, our mountains are actually MOUNTIANS.. no where to safely slide around up there, and no one ever gets money together for the track.

bandwagon HO!

jdmmavericktR
09-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Lost traction does not mean a coefficient of friction of zero....there is always friction between the rubber and the road...it would be impossible to drift without friction.

When a RWD car drifts, the front tires sometimes have excessive camber so that they maintain traction while the rear tires are used to turn the car with the throttle. That's why drifting with AWD is harder...you need more power to lose traction and you lose the anchor points that the front wheels provide in a RWD drift.

At least that's how I understand it...if I'm wrong, don't be a bitch and flame me...rather, explain so that we all become enlightened.

GTS Jeff
09-08-2003, 08:58 PM

Ok all you freaking English nerds let me correwct my statement. If the coefficient of friction becomes 0.00 you have no control. Thankyou for pointing out my bad english. You all knew what I meant. err not really man...when is the coeff of friction EVER zero? just cuz a car is sliding doesnt mean hte coeff of friction has dropped in any way. it just means the friction force has been overcome by a stronger force,

Hollywood
09-08-2003, 09:25 PM
I don't quite understand the hype of drifting, its fun but nothing I would call a sport, GT300, GT500 is a real sport IMO. I even drive one of the top drifting cars.

Rage let me know if these tune/test runs are happening I'm interested in going.

Hollywood
09-08-2003, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Rage let me know if these tune/test runs are happening I'm interested in going.