PDA

View Full Version : turbo diesel?

prodigychild
08-14-2003, 06:04 PM
hey everyone this is probably a stupid question but im an amatuer, im lookin at this 93 golf TDI which is a turbo diesel, and im just wondering if they are any better or any worse then say a cl or a gl? are they more or less powerful? is it harder to find performance products for a TDI?

nismodrifter
08-14-2003, 06:55 PM
get the diesel if you want to save big $$ on fuel

diesels are generally slower than the same car if it was gas, the diesel probably has less hp but more torque than the gas models (not 100% sure on numbers here as I am not a vw guy but that's how it generally is)

Fluidic
08-14-2003, 08:30 PM
It's the same TDI motor for both the CL and/or GL.

Once you chip the TDI... it's got MAD torque/pulling power. I think Bart's car has 236 foot pound of torque to the wheels... and something like 110HP.

Not bad! :)

Peter

SwitchBlade
08-14-2003, 10:05 PM
If you are looking at diesel they are really slow off the get go. They also are pretty hurting during the winter to start up. Cuz they require a glow plug rather than a spark plug. I think you also need two batteries. Personally i would go with gas. Good luck.

nismodrifter
08-14-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by SwitchBlade
If you are looking at diesel they are really slow off the get go. They also are pretty hurting during the winter to start up. Cuz they require a glow plug rather than a spark plug. I think you also need two batteries. Personally i would go with gas. Good luck.

you don't need 2 batteries.....

if your glow plugs are working you shouldn't have TOO much trouble getting it started in the winter....on normal -20ish days you'll have no problem....leave the car parked outside overnight in -40 weather and you're asking for trouble....you will probably be able to start it but it will take a hell of a long time to get it going

if you have your car parked in a garage it also makes a big difference...you can start in pretty much any temp and it's even easier if its plugged in

I am speaking from experience with a 1981 MBZ diesel though :D so things are probably improved in a newer car like you are looking to get :D

be warned though....once you go with diesel you will never want to go back to gas :D :D

CalgaryB5
08-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Haha... Diesel can go as fast as gas. TDI is a very good engine.

Visit http://www.tdiclub.com/

Fluidic
08-15-2003, 02:37 AM

You are making a post based on VERY old Diesel information! Research some more, then post.

Diesel’s last forever. At 200,000KM --- you're just breaking her in. They can run forever... the motor will last longer then the body. All you have to do is take care of the motor with preventive maintenance like changing the fluids often (oil and coolant)... and you're good to go! :thumbsup: :)

Peter

rx7_turbo2
08-15-2003, 10:03 AM

If you don't know what your talking about please don't post.

prosh
08-15-2003, 10:12 AM
Diesels are awesome. the newer TDI's can go over 1000 KM's on a tank of diesel which will always be cheaper than the cheapest gas! As for performance, the torque definitely makes up for the lacking in horses. Just make sure to get it in a standard and you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Also, with diesel engines, you're looking at going 400-500,000 KM's w/ regular schedule'd maintenance before you need any major work done under the hood. The only real downside to the TDI's are that they're a bit noisier and the stuff coming outta ur exhaust stinks!

t"raver1"smith
08-15-2003, 02:37 PM
the other thing you can look at if go is concern for you, is to look gaseous fuel injection for the diesel. i know of one system using propane was able to get 90bhp at the wheels in the duramax diesel. in smaller 4 & 6 cyl the unit has test out between 60 - 85 hp at the wheels. and that my friends just says go. pm me if you want the info for the co. that builds them. it'll probably run about 600 us.

SwitchBlade
08-15-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

If you don't know what your talking about please don't post.

http://www.public.asu.edu/~nate123/mil_vehicles/ike.htm

The starter and glow plug systems operate at 24 volts.

Possibly requring a 24 volt battery or maybe two batteries of 12 volts linked in series. Maybe the VW doesnt have "two batteries" but there are some cars and trucks that do. Unless you can think of another way to start a 24 volt starter motor

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question399.htm

...This makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepower, and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration.

Diesel engines are harder to start in cold weather, and if they contain glow plugs, diesel engines can require you to wait before starting the engine so the glow plugs can heat up.

My experience with driving diesel's is that they are slower then their gasoline powered counterparts. By no means am i saying diesels are bad. The diesel engine has made considerable advances with the aid of computers and other technical research. Although, if you are looking for more flexibilty for tuning i would vouch for a gasoline powered engine. I mean how many Ferraris, Supras or Vipers do you see racing around with diesels under the hood. The market for performance parts is focused more primarly towards gas powered engines. If you are looking to tune your car to get all of its performance i would recomend gas.

Fluidic
08-15-2003, 06:11 PM
Dude... get your ass in a TDI and go have some fun with yourself...

James
08-15-2003, 06:57 PM
TDI's are amazing cars, i drove an '03 Jetta wagon today and being heavier than golfs,( driven like a dozen tdi golfs) i was expecting it to be a dog, but like others said, if its a 5spd, the torque is there for sure! :thumbsup:..auto's are brutal though!

crx
08-15-2003, 09:22 PM
Glow Plugs are nothing to worry about, on cold days just go through the glow plug cycle twice and it should start just fine in the winter.

Gazoo
06-20-2004, 08:57 PM
If it's a 93 it's not a TDI.

Just a TD.

rx7_turbo2
06-20-2004, 09:52 PM

http://www.public.asu.edu/~nate123/mil_vehicles/ike.htm

The starter and glow plug systems operate at 24 volts.

Possibly requring a 24 volt battery or maybe two batteries of 12 volts linked in series. Maybe the VW doesnt have "two batteries" but there are some cars and trucks that do. Unless you can think of another way to start a 24 volt starter motor

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question399.htm

...This makes diesel engines high torque rather than high horsepower, and that tends to make diesel cars slow in terms of acceleration.

Diesel engines are harder to start in cold weather, and if they contain glow plugs, diesel engines can require you to wait before starting the engine so the glow plugs can heat up.

My experience with driving diesel's is that they are slower then their gasoline powered counterparts. By no means am i saying diesels are bad. The diesel engine has made considerable advances with the aid of computers and other technical research. Although, if you are looking for more flexibilty for tuning i would vouch for a gasoline powered engine. I mean how many Ferraris, Supras or Vipers do you see racing around with diesels under the hood. The market for performance parts is focused more primarly towards gas powered engines. If you are looking to tune your car to get all of its performance i would recomend gas.

I know how a diesel works, thanks.
If we're talking about older style diesel vehicles, yes they require more attention. But the technology involved in modern diesel engines has come a looong way. Glow plugs are becomming things of the past. Turbo sizing and design has also improved so that the old idea of diesels being slugs off the line no longer holds true. Not to mention the number of upgrades for modern diesel engines, everything from chips to propane injection.

It's been suggested by the other members. Go take one for a spin.

Hardy_Boy
06-20-2004, 11:09 PM
i'd say go for the tdi i used to drive an '03 jetta, didn't have ne problems starting it in the winter just let it warm up for a bit before i headed out. diesels dirty though just head on over to concept 1 and buy some fuel additive keeps the engine clean and running smooth :thumbsup:

as for the power they sell a TDI force power module its like 30% gains in horsepower and torque.

forkdork
06-21-2004, 12:33 AM

I know how a diesel works, thanks.
If we're talking about older style diesel vehicles, yes they require more attention. But the technology involved in modern diesel engines has come a looong way. Glow plugs are becomming things of the past. Turbo sizing and design has also improved so that the old idea of diesels being slugs off the line no longer holds true. Not to mention the number of upgrades for modern diesel engines, everything from chips to propane injection.

It's been suggested by the other members. Go take one for a spin.

Uhh glowplugs are gonna be around for a loooooooooooooooooong time

CKY
06-21-2004, 12:57 AM
so the difference between a TD and TDI is just injection system right?? so basically better fuel economy? i'm also lookin into buy a 2nd hand diesel car but there isn't much to choose from other than vw here in canada, and is finding a gas station with diesel a problem? i've noticed recently some gas stations in nw don't have diesel

nismodrifter
06-21-2004, 01:39 AM
cky: yes you are right, not many new diesels on the market right now :( But I do however think that the next big "THING " on the market is going to be diesel cars. People just can't afford to drive gas guzzlers anymore (well...some can..all the :bigpimp:s ;) )

Find a gas station with diesel is not really a problem, get to know which ones have it and you're set. Make note of which ones do/don't have it and just fill up when you're nearby (remember...you're not going to be filling up much so it doesn't really matter does it hehe :D )

Not exactly sure what your budget is but you could look into getting a w210 e-class turbo diesel (ie: the frog eyed e-class...) or a w124 diesel (like ZorroAMG's car..but diesel). If you want something made like after 1990 then its either going to be a MBZ or a VW.

I'm going for a highway trip this weekend...I'll be sure to leave with a full tank and report back on what kind of mileage this thing gets on the highway :)

Xtrema
06-21-2004, 08:19 AM
Only 2 problems with diesel.

1) Distribution, you may have to go out of your way for a refuel. This may also prove to be a headache if you travel out of town without some pre-trip planning.

2) Sulfur content, North American diesel is crap. Most TDI I followed stinks with pollution out of the pipes. While most these engines run fine in Europe with highly refined diesel, who know how these cars will hold up with all the sulfur in American diesel.

freakin
06-21-2004, 09:03 AM
Has anyone ever heard of running a diesel on vegtable oil, or the grease from a deep frier? I think that's what I saw on Discovery. I can't remember exaclty what they were using, but it still ran. It had a bit of power loss, but reduced the emissions significantly.

A friend of mine was looking at purchasing an old diesel Rabbit, so we got talking about this. I need to do some more research to see what needs to be done in order for it to work, and see if it will wreck anything. All in all it seems like a great idea as long as you're not too concerned with performance.

freakin
06-21-2004, 09:43 AM
Found some info on this,
http://www.greasecar.com/index.cfm

This has got my curiosity going now....I think I might buy an old VW for a winter beater just to play with this idea.

forkdork
06-21-2004, 10:06 AM

I mean how many Ferraris, Supras or Vipers do you see racing around with diesels under the hood. The market for performance parts is focused more primarly towards gas powered engines. If you are looking to tune your car to get all of its performance i would recomend gas.

There was a diesel running in lemans last week, the announcers were commenting on how diesel will become bigger in lemans over the next few years.

sputnik
06-21-2004, 11:00 AM
Make sure you fill up with "ultra-diesel" which is 5 ppm (parts per million) of Sulphur instead of regular diesel which is 50 ppm

Ben
06-21-2004, 11:01 AM
hahaha, Switchblade, just stop posting man, you have no idea what you're talking about.

T5_X
06-21-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by freakin
Has anyone ever heard of running a diesel on vegtable oil, or the grease from a deep frier? I think that's what I saw on Discovery. I can't remember exaclty what they were using, but it still ran. It had a bit of power loss, but reduced the emissions significantly.

A friend of mine was looking at purchasing an old diesel Rabbit, so we got talking about this. I need to do some more research to see what needs to be done in order for it to work, and see if it will wreck anything. All in all it seems like a great idea as long as you're not too concerned with performance.

I've been thinking of doing this too, maybe with an old diesel pickup. Waste veggie oil (WVO) has to be filtered and refined so it wont clog up your fuel filter, and you can get the viscosity the same as diesel by adding a bit of kerosene, so you get free fuel basically once you make up for what you've invested in refining tools. For the setup, you have dual tanks. One is your original diesel tank which you keep using diesel in. You have another tank with veggie oil which you must heat to get the viscosity up. You feed the veggie oil to the diesel lines and actuate the feed with a switch. On startup, you use the regular diesel till the engine warms up and the veggie oil tank is heated, then you switch to veggie oil feed. When you are going to shut down the car, you convert it back to diesel so the oil gets flushed out of the lines and does not clog the lines/filters up when cold.
For direct injection cars, you need to have your injectors professionally modified. Apparently the only place that can do it properly is this one company in Europe.

Akagi Redsuns
06-21-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by T5_X

I've been thinking of doing this too, maybe with an old diesel pickup. Waste veggie oil (WVO) has to be filtered and refined so it wont clog up your fuel filter, and you can get the viscosity the same as diesel by adding a bit of kerosene, so you get free fuel basically once you make up for what you've invested in refining tools. For the setup, you have dual tanks. One is your original diesel tank which you keep using diesel in. You have another tank with veggie oil which you must heat to get the viscosity up. You feed the veggie oil to the diesel lines and actuate the feed with a switch. On startup, you use the regular diesel till the engine warms up and the veggie oil tank is heated, then you switch to veggie oil feed. When you are going to shut down the car, you convert it back to diesel so the oil gets flushed out of the lines and does not clog the lines/filters up when cold.
For direct injection cars, you need to have your injectors professionally modified. Apparently the only place that can do it properly is this one company in Europe.

Sounds great until the government comes knocking on your door being upset that you are using fuel that they didn't get to add thier bloated fuel tax. Already starting to happen overseas.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/21/21577_driver_slams_biofuel_blitz.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3181283.stm

T5_X
06-21-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Sounds great until the government comes knocking on your door being upset that you are using fuel that they didn't get to add thier bloated fuel tax. Already starting to happen overseas.

http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/news/s/21/21577_driver_slams_biofuel_blitz.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3181283.stm

:eek: :eek: :eek:
That is wrong on so many levels :guns:

freakin
06-21-2004, 12:13 PM
THAT IS CRAP!!! Fucking taxes!!

I guess you need to ask how could they regulate it? The idea is to get the oil for free from a restaraunt. How can you tax you on something you didn't pay for? hehe, there's got to be a way around this.

Besides, my car would smell like doughnuts all the time...how could you resist that. I'm going to have fat kids running after my car all the time.:D

rx7_turbo2
06-21-2004, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by forkdork

Uhh glowplugs are gonna be around for a loooooooooooooooooong time

Wrong. Lots of the newer larger diesel motors used in the transport industry no longer use glow plugs. Instead they use a heating coil or web that heats the air as it enters the intake manifold. No glow plugs whatsoever. Won't take long for this type of technology to reach passenger vehicles.

CelicaST-162
06-21-2004, 02:29 PM

Wrong. Lots of the newer larger diesel motors used in the transport industry no longer use glow plugs. Instead they use a heating coil or web that heats the air as it enters the intake manifold. No glow plugs whatsoever. Won't take long for this type of technology to reach passenger vehicles.

:werd: Actually the highway truck engines do not use any type of heat aids to start. Just depend solely on the compressed heated air in the compression stroke. But the smaller diesels ie: Dodge Cummins ISB, and the CAT 3126 use the web air intake heater to aid starting. Thats why you always see a warning to NEVER use a starting fluid on those engines.

rx7_turbo2
06-21-2004, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

:werd: Actually the highway truck engines do not use any type of heat aids to start. Just depend solely on the compressed heated air in the compression stroke. But the smaller diesels ie: Dodge Cummins ISB, and the CAT 3126 use the web air intake heater to aid starting. Thats why you always see a warning to NEVER use a starting fluid on those engines.

Agreed.

Some people don't do thier research before posting in this forum. It's true of almost any forum actually. You should see some of the nonsense that gets posted over at www.rx7club.com "Can I attach a leaf blower to my intake instead of a turbo?" Yikes

forkdork
06-21-2004, 03:19 PM

Yeah I'm not to familiar with the bigger diesel engines in trucks and locomotives etc. I still wouldn't count on seeing these "webs" in north america for quite a while (like 10 years or something)

Check out this MB 300D:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sallatoimi/ep/liukasta.mpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sallatoimi/mersukiihytys1.mpg

rx7_turbo2
06-21-2004, 04:03 PM

Yeah I'm not to familiar with the bigger diesel engines in trucks and locomotives etc. I still wouldn't count on seeing these "webs" in north america for quite a while (like 10 years or something)

Check out this MB 300D:
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sallatoimi/ep/liukasta.mpg
http://www.kolumbus.fi/sallatoimi/mersukiihytys1.mpg

Well I suppose we disagree then. I really can't see it taking that long for the technology to "trickle down" Not given the current climate of fuel prices in North America.

T5_X
06-21-2004, 04:21 PM
Question: When do you guys think we'll see camless diesel engines in passenger cars? They will definitly arrive in diesel before gas engines.

CelicaST-162
06-21-2004, 06:29 PM

Yeah I'm not to familiar with the bigger diesel engines in trucks and locomotives etc. I still wouldn't count on seeing these "webs" in north america for quite a while (like 10 years or something[/url]

What makes you think its ten years? This web thing is sort of confusing, so let me clarify it. It's basically a heating element very simillar to your stove. It can be any size, the correct term for it is an "Air Intake Heater" Having an element in the intake path is very simple, much more simpler than glow plugs. I think it will be implemented on smaller diesels very soon.

As for camless diesels...I highly doubt that, diesels have WAY higher compression therefore it would be harder to design. I think we would see it in gas engines before diesels...just my 0.02 $ on that.

Vic

forkdork
06-21-2004, 09:30 PM

Well I suppose we disagree then. I really can't see it taking that long for the technology to "trickle down" Not given the current climate of fuel prices in North America.

Maybe 10 years was sort of a over exaggeration.
Yes gas prices have been going up, but SUV sales havent been going down. There is a common sterotype for diesels of being dirty, stinky, loud etc. In order for this technology to get here, most diesel cars have to be sold, for cars to be sold the manufacturers have to realize that there is a large market for diesel powered cars in North America, which there really isnt at the moment. The only manufacturers producing diesel cars (not trucks or anything) are VW and Mercedes with the E320 CDI. Basically what I am trying to get at is, it will take a while for manufacturers to bring more diesel cars to NA, maybe these web things will replace glow plugs in newer diesel cars in europe, but it will take a while for those cars to come over here.
I'm half asleep so it may not all make that much sense right now but I will try to explain what I am thinking better later on.

T5_X
06-22-2004, 12:04 AM

As for camless diesels...I highly doubt that, diesels have WAY higher compression therefore it would be harder to design. I think we would see it in gas engines before diesels...just my 0.02 $ on that.

Vic

Why would compression be an issue for electronically controlled valve actuation? The limitation right now is that there are no solenoids which can actuate the valves quickly enough reliably and without using too much electrical power. When they do develop them, they will be applied in lower revving engines first, diesels being the obvious first choice.

CelicaST-162
06-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I thought about my statement and yeah, seems a bit fishy. Diesels operate at a lower rpm then cars, run cooler, your right. I retract my previous statement!:thumbsup:

rx7_turbo2
06-22-2004, 09:29 AM

Maybe 10 years was sort of a over exaggeration.
Yes gas prices have been going up, but SUV sales havent been going down. There is a common sterotype for diesels of being dirty, stinky, loud etc. In order for this technology to get here, most diesel cars have to be sold, for cars to be sold the manufacturers have to realize that there is a large market for diesel powered cars in North America, which there really isnt at the moment. The only manufacturers producing diesel cars (not trucks or anything) are VW and Mercedes with the E320 CDI. Basically what I am trying to get at is, it will take a while for manufacturers to bring more diesel cars to NA, maybe these web things will replace glow plugs in newer diesel cars in europe, but it will take a while for those cars to come over here.
I'm half asleep so it may not all make that much sense right now but I will try to explain what I am thinking better later on.

Your kind of missing the big picture. There is alot more to passenger vehicles than just cars. Lets not forget the Ford and Chevy......Cummins, Detroit Diesel.

The other problem with your arguement is that the market really plays no factor in the decision. If the "web" element system was significantly more expensive than yes you bet, nothing would happen without a significant change in North American demand. However the newer design is NOT significantly more money to design and install in passenger cars. The technology is already there, it just needs to be implemented. There is no point in a company making two versions of aything either. If Mercedes and VW make cars with this system in Europe, provided we have the same model cars here, we will see it happen.

I will say one thing however. Our most limiting factor to decent diesel powered cars is the very poor quality of our diesel fuel compared to other parts of the world. In order to take full advantage of the lower emissions, and fuel economy, we need better quality diesel fuel here.

T5_X
06-22-2004, 10:07 AM

I will say one thing however. Our most limiting factor to decent diesel powered cars is the very poor quality of our diesel fuel compared to other parts of the world. In order to take full advantage of the lower emissions, and fuel economy, we need better quality diesel fuel here.

This is true. Apparently we get "low sulfur" diesel in north america when in reality it gets as high as 500 ppm. Diesel sold in Sweden has been required to be at under 10 ppm for over a decade. This is another reason why high powered diesel cars are not coming to North America any time that soon.

forkdork
06-22-2004, 10:37 AM

Your kind of missing the big picture. There is alot more to passenger vehicles than just cars. Lets not forget the Ford and Chevy......Cummins, Detroit Diesel.

The other problem with your arguement is that the market really plays no factor in the decision. If the "web" element system was significantly more expensive than yes you bet, nothing would happen without a significant change in North American demand. However the newer design is NOT significantly more money to design and install in passenger cars. The technology is already there, it just needs to be implemented. There is no point in a company making two versions of aything either. If Mercedes and VW make cars with this system in Europe, provided we have the same model cars here, we will see it happen.

Yeah what I was saying was mainly guided towards passenger cars (no pickup trucks or SUV's).

I do agree that out diesel here is shite compared to the low sulfer diesel in other parts of the world.

bart
06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
get the diesel if you want to save big $$ on fuel

diesels are generally slower than the same car if it was gas, the diesel probably has less hp but more torque than the gas models (not 100% sure on numbers here as I am not a vw guy but that's how it generally is)

if you take a gasser with 90hp and a tdi with 90hp, the tdi is faster. :)

lol, not two, but the tdi's do have a bigger and more powerful battery to crank them. i've never once plugged my car in, it always starts. the fuel will gel faster then it not starting.

Originally posted by prosh
Diesels are awesome. the newer TDI's can go over 1000 KM's on a tank of diesel which will always be cheaper than the cheapest gas! As for performance, the torque definitely makes up for the lacking in horses. Just make sure to get it in a standard and you'll be laughing all the way to the bank.

Also, with diesel engines, you're looking at going 400-500,000 KM's w/ regular schedule'd maintenance before you need any major work done under the hood. The only real downside to the TDI's are that they're a bit noisier and the stuff coming outta ur exhaust stinks!

i love the smell!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by sputnik
Make sure you fill up with "ultra-diesel" which is 5 ppm (parts per million) of Sulphur instead of regular diesel which is 50 ppm

ahah nope sorry, you are thinking EU 4 emissions. the shell ultradiesel which says <0.05% is really <500ppm. we have to wait a few more years. i'm pretty sure on this, i think i worked it out once.

oh ya, last thing, ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO INSTALL A BOV ON A TDI FOR ANY RICERS THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

caio.

Weapon_R
06-23-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by bart

oh ya, last thing, ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO INSTALL A BOV ON A TDI FOR ANY RICERS THINKING ABOUT IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Dammit :(

Seriously though, this is the first time i've heard that claim. Why is it impossible?

Akagi Redsuns
06-23-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Dammit :(

Seriously though, this is the first time i've heard that claim. Why is it impossible?

No Throttle Plates, throttle is all based on fuel delivery.

method
06-23-2004, 06:01 PM
you guys are making ridiculous excuses.

WELL IF YOU TAKE A CAR WITH 90 HP.

WELL THERES TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY ENGINES WITH.

WELL BUT THEN THERE'S THIS.

look at the situation at hand.

guy is asking about a 93 tdi. yes it will have glow plugs. yes it will be harder to start in cold weather if you forget to plug it in. yes it will be slower than gasoline powered models. yes you will save tons of money on fuel. yes you will have a different car from most people.

I love diesels, but seriously guys... stop acting like he just ran over your dog.

ricosuave
06-23-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by Gazoo
If it's a 93 it's not a TDI.

Just a TD.

i feel the need to echo that.

its a td, so its 74 horse, and mechanical fuel delivery

a tdi is about 110 hp, and electronic fuel delivery.

you have to weigh the pros and cons

rico

bart
06-24-2004, 02:17 AM
no no, tdi is 90hp, unless you are talking about the new PD models they just introduced here, which are 100hp, and which have something like 30,000psi at the unit injector, lol, making them uber quiet, which atomize the fuel better than any other car, converting 43% of thermal energy into mechanical.

but ya, we're supposed to be talking about just a TD engine here. in general, it wont be as good as a tdi, primarily since its older technology, ya you might have to plug it in, get a little less mileage then the new diesels, a little slower, and little more smokier. but you will still get better mileage then a gasser.

jal1639
11-10-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by freakin
Found some info on this,
http://www.greasecar.com/index.cfm

This has got my curiosity going now....I think I might buy an old VW for a winter beater just to play with this idea.

www.greasel.com is another site.

dreamchaser
06-06-2005, 09:50 PM
I thought about my statement and yeah, seems a bit fishy. Diesels operate at a lower rpm then cars, run cooler, your right. I retract my previous statement!:thumbsup:
thats not true, mercedes car diesel engines are hight rpm diesels.

dreamchaser
06-06-2005, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by method
you guys are making ridiculous excuses.

guy is asking about a 93 tdi. yes it will have glow plugs. yes it will be harder to start in cold weather if you forget to plug it in. yes it will be slower than gasoline powered models. yes you will save tons of money on fuel. yes you will have a different car from most people.

I love diesels, but seriously guys... stop acting like he just ran over your dog.

if you maintain it properly they are not tooo hard to start in winter. my 89 mercedes with 380 000 kms starts on first crank in coldest day here in calgary.

They are not slower. My brothers 01 TDI is way faster than similar gas car. I could nto beleive how fast it is.

Yes they are cheap on fuel. I just came back from 1000 kms trip ,, we spent only 30 dollars on diesel. My (ex) Jeep would have burnts atleast 100 dollars.

theken
06-06-2005, 09:59 PM
holy old thread

Aleks
06-07-2005, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by dreamchaser

if you maintain it properly they are not tooo hard to start in winter. my 89 mercedes with 380 000 kms starts on first crank in coldest day here in calgary.

They are not slower. My brothers 01 TDI is way faster than similar gas car. I could nto beleive how fast it is.

Yes they are cheap on fuel. I just came back from 1000 kms trip ,, we spent only 30 dollars on diesel. My (ex) Jeep would have burnts atleast 100 dollars.

What does your brother have done (if anything) to the TDi?

dreamchaser
06-07-2005, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

What does your brother have done (if anything) to the TDi?

I dont think he has done anything. I think its just this new electronic diesel injection technology that makes them better. My benz is 2.5 , and his tdi is only 1.9. but that thing is much faster. By faster i mean it does not feel like its diesel. I feel like its faster than gas civics and accords ( 4 cylinders )

bart
06-07-2005, 01:13 PM
who would want a diesel car? they smell, dont start, sound broken and are slow ass! lol

HPower
06-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I had a 01 TDI for almost 4 yrs. It was a great car. I had it out in the coldest weather out here, and I hardly ever even had to plug it in. You just have to let the glow plugs warm up before you start the car. As far as diesels being slow, that is just BS. The stock 90hp TDI isn't too fast, but as soon as you spend 500 on an upsolute chip, you will be even with the 1.8T's up to 100 km/h. I only had the upsolute chip in mine, and I could take spec V seR's up to 100. It's because you're getting huge torque with the chip, regardless of whether you've got the high end hp they're still fast. On top of that, Upsolute has just come out with their stage 1 intercooler for the TDI which puts the hp up to 150. Now combine the upsolute chip with that intercooler and you've got a fast fast car. When I got my new TSX(apprx 170 hp to the wheels, rated at 200) it was definitely a noticeable downgrade in power from my TDI. So don't let the rated hp of the TDI's fool you. They're fun to drive (other than the engine sound), also once mine was chipped I swear you could hear the stock turbo a block away.

Xtrema
06-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Other than the ghetto engine sound, TDI are pretty good technology.

BTW, Low sulphur fuel should reach consumer by June next year (go from 500ppm to 15ppm). I think that'll be the last hurdle for me to putting $$ down for a diesel car.

I just wish Honda will introduce their 2.2L Diesel (currently in UK Accord and CRV) here soon.

nismodrifter
06-07-2005, 02:46 PM
who would want a diesel car? they smell, dont start, sound broken and are slow ass! lol

:werd:

bart
06-07-2005, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I just wish Honda will introduce their 2.2L Diesel (currently in UK Accord and CRV) here soon.

honda with torque huh?? lol. you sure they made their own, or they bought some from vw?? :)

Davetronz
06-07-2005, 03:25 PM

Originally posted by nismodrifter

:werd:

:werd: :drama: