PDA

View Full Version : spraying

lfried
04-17-2008, 12:12 AM
whats the most effective and efficient way to spray an inter-cooler? ive had suggestions of a water/methanol spray system, or go as far as to instal a nitrous spray kit... any ideas?

92gsr
04-17-2008, 01:34 AM
you have any good reason to be spraying it? usually there are lot of other things to do power wise before worrying about this. Where i race it can get to +40C so i plan on using an old fire extinguisher with some co2 between rounds if it starts to get heat soaked.

lfried
04-17-2008, 12:16 PM
yeah thats more of what i meant, sry. on a hot day after a hard run, something to cool it down if heat-soaking.

R-Audi
04-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Possibly look at upgrading the intercooler first?

stevo 27
04-17-2008, 05:50 PM
nitrous -130 degrees f you could freeze the to a solid block if thats what im doing with my car

lfried
04-19-2008, 12:55 PM
yeah, where would be a good place to look at buying a new IC? there's always C1...... ited be a matter of making or finding new hoses, i doubt i can get much bigger of a IC from stock though

Supa Dexta
04-20-2008, 05:48 PM
ETS!

Tons of places sell them and from cheap to $$$ All depends on what you want to spend and can fit.

lfried
04-23-2008, 11:56 AM
ive been looking at the NX spray bar nitrous setup, $$$$, or a mist kit which is a third of the $$$

stevo 27
04-23-2008, 08:47 PM
i wouldnt do it if i wasnt going to be running nitrous

265 dollar bottle 75 dollar cylinoid if you dont make the spray bar yourself another 150 and it's 85 dollars everytime you refill the bottle if your

if you just want a little more power i would buy a better intercooler and run a 50 shot

g-m
05-31-2008, 12:58 PM
Sorry to ressurect a month-old thread but I've recently found a nitrous-spraying setup in my car to cool the intercoolers. It seems like all I need is a bottle and some gas and I was wondering if anyone knows how much JUST a bottle costs and how much refills are.
And most importantly, who sells it in calgary?

misterrick
06-21-2008, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Sorry to ressurect a month-old thread but I've recently found a nitrous-spraying setup in my car to cool the intercoolers. It seems like all I need is a bottle and some gas and I was wondering if anyone knows how much JUST a bottle costs and how much refills are.
And most importantly, who sells it in calgary?

not sure on the cost, but Andy's Unlimited Performance does nitrous refills. they are just down the street from standens

Annoyingrob
06-24-2008, 03:57 AM
If you're using the nitrous purely for the heat absorbtion properties, why don't you just use a cheaper compressed gas?

CO2, and N2 are cheap to refill. I'm not sure what you usually run for line pressures with N2O setups, but a 1500psi system will handle both gases.

Supa Dexta
06-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Yeah I know nothing of it directly, but just think of the small co2's for bb guns or paintball, they ice over when anything is released... I know you can get small co2 canisters the size of fire extinguishers.. Bars use them for small beer fridges, cheap to refil, hook it to a no2 sprayer, should work... :dunno:

ExtraSlow
06-24-2008, 07:54 AM
if it was me, I'd look at a water mist setup for a few reasons:
1) Water is pretty much free.
2) You don't need to compress it, and it's non-flammable, so it's safe.
3) liquids absorb heat much faster than gasses, and water has a high heat capacity.

So yeah, a bottle of water at ambient temperature isn't going to be as cold as a compressed gas that you've run thourgh a presssure drop, but I'd bet it'll take away just as much heat, which is the main goal here.

It doesn't, however, have nearly as much "wow" factor, which could be important depending on the application . . .

I've heard of people packing thier intercoolers with ice between drag runs, but I don't think that would help for any extended period.

R-Audi
06-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Expanding on that last commment...

Water/Methanol injection kits can be had for approx. $400 and drastically decrease intake temperatures, and if done properly (pure methanol or the proper washer fluid) can raise the octane level of your gas and give you more performance. The fluid is injected approx 6" before your throttle body..

I have recently installed one in my car, and its been great.... I have yet to fully tweak the ECU, but car has been extremely smooth, and running way cooler.

g-m
07-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Thanks for all of the comments, I think I've decided to go with a compressed CO2 application assuming that the fittings work the same for CO2 as NO2. I believe the bottle can't be pressurized to more than 1000 psi, and my solenoid fitting looks like this:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/scottc420/PICT6810.jpg
Sorry for the dirtyness, I was going to go take pictures of my fittings today but I can't find my camera.
The pressure hose is the same thing you'd get from a NO2 kit.
Does anyone know where I can get a pressure bottle and a refill for a CO2, and/or if the CO2 bottle will fit on the NO2 fittings? I'm sure I could get a bottle at a paintball place, but its like a 45 minute drive one way and those bottles are a little small iirc.

Supa Dexta
07-01-2008, 06:12 PM
bevgas use to fill c02 for us, good guys to deal with. And that was for beer canisters, they had ones the size of fire extinguishers up to the huge ones that are like 5ft tall.

Annoyingrob
07-01-2008, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
bevgas use to fill c02 for us, good guys to deal with. And that was for beer canisters, they had ones the size of fire extinguishers up to the huge ones that are like 5ft tall.
What do they charge for a fill?

I used to get my 5lb filled up at a welding supply shop for $25 or so. I can't remember how much I pay for my 10lb.

Supa Dexta
07-02-2008, 08:38 AM
No idea now, it's been at least a couple of yrs since I've dealt with them. And even then most of the time I was just the middle man for the bars, call them to fill tanks, and they'd bill the bar directly.

g-m
07-04-2008, 12:01 AM
cool thanks a lot for the suggestion I'll check it out