PDA

View Full Version : manual lessons

preludeprincess
04-17-2008, 03:16 PM
hi, so i`ve been driving manual since forevs yet i`m not getting any better with hill starts. :[ so if anyone knows of a place that actually offers manual [AMA`s booked till sept.] it would be much appreciated, thanks !!

Fcuk
04-17-2008, 03:19 PM
Standards really not as hard as you think. No matter how nervous you get just put in some practice and eventually you'll be driving standard like its nothing. Driving uphill in a manual is definately a bitch if you don't know what your doing. Give it some gas when you have the clutch held and and maybe let go a bit faster then you normally would on a regular road. Don't let the thought of rolling into the person behind you get into your head.

If you really wanna learn, I suggest you ask some of your friends who are fimiliar with standard to give you a helping hand.

practice makes perfect is a quote for a reason :thumbsup:

gl!

JRSC00LUDE
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Awe....I thought this was going to be a BMX thread. :(

preludeprincess
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
i`ve been driving manual for like 3 yrs.. it`s not happening lol

finboy
04-17-2008, 03:29 PM
buy a car with hill assist, or learn to use your hand brake

gpomp
04-17-2008, 03:32 PM
pics?

LadyLuck
04-17-2008, 03:34 PM
ill teach ya:D

JRSC00LUDE
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
pics?

Agreed, I think it would help if we could see the hill.

94boosted
04-17-2008, 03:35 PM
Yah if you can't heel and toe with your right foot on the brake and gas. Then pull up on your e-brake and give er some gas and ease of the clutch and the e-brake at the same time.

teggypimp95
04-17-2008, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
Yah if you can't heel and toe with your right foot on the brake and gas. Then pull up on your e-brake and give er some gas and ease of the clutch and the e-brake at the same time.

She is having trouble on hills, and you talking about heel toeing? lol jk

Just find a quiet hill to practice on. Keep rolling down and practicing where the clutch seems to grip. Start off with more gas than you need. Once you find the place where the clutch and the gas seem to hold the car on the hill, then you can learn to do it faster and smoother.

Just find a hill and go nuts.

BlkMaxima
04-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

There should be two hills I believe.;)

Pics are a needed so we understand better. The reading comprehension level on this for is below average.

JRSC00LUDE
04-17-2008, 03:42 PM
^

So is the writing level! :rofl:

Mr_ET
04-17-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

Just find a hill and go nuts.

That's right you gu nuts on that hill:rofl:

94boosted
04-17-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

She is having trouble on hills, and you talking about heel toeing? lol jk

Lol my bad

climer
04-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Like Teggy mentioned, find yourself a nice long hill on a secluded street and practice until you get it perfect.

Taking lessons will be a waste of time and money since this is something you personally need to get a feel for.

BlkMaxima
04-17-2008, 03:53 PM
^

So is the writing level! :rofl:

lol, like I said last time the grammar police busted me. It's 4:00 and the laws of grammar don't apply at this time of day. All I do is stare at the clock and wait to go home. Well sometime I annoy my co workers.

98type_r
04-17-2008, 03:58 PM
find a really patient friend to take you out for a couple hours. The biggest part is to not lose your nerve when you're on a hill and in danger of rolling back. Like they said above, use the e-brake if you have to when you're on a hill until the clutch grabs.

adam c
04-17-2008, 04:11 PM
theres a sweet spot on the clutch where you can hold it and your car won't move, its the point right between stalling and clutch engaged.. but be warned u burn ur clutch like crazy...

i never roll on hills, just foot + clutch
then when ready to move gas + quick clutch release...

the first few times i learned a standard it was hard and a little scary especially with someone right on ur ass but after that it gets ok

try to find a parking lot that has small hills in it, best way to learn for you

Doozer
04-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by climer
Like Teggy mentioned, find yourself a nice long hill on a secluded street and practice until you get it perfect.

Personally, I wouldn't find a hill. If you're already not comfortable with hills, there's a chance you could roll into something and wreck your car or something else of value.

All you need is a bit of resistance. When I was first learning, I went into an empty parking lot and practiced balancing against speedbumps. Get the front tire to just go slowly up the bump, then roll back down. Lather, rinse, repeat.

badatusrnames
04-17-2008, 04:17 PM

Hills, you mean.

a social dsease
04-17-2008, 04:54 PM
Just remember, its better to burn out than to stall :thumbsup: So giver lots of gas.

As for your actual question, try calling some different places, I know theres a ton of them in Calgary, but I'm not too sure how many of them give manual driving lessons.

porscha.911
04-17-2008, 05:01 PM
speed bump is a great way to learn! and if you can just go test drive a car from a used car dealership so you dont fuck your up HAHAHHA :burnout:

ercchry
04-17-2008, 05:06 PM
i think i know the thread starter... did you go to o'byrne? graduate in 06?

and yeah after you drive a car with a unsprung 6 puck disc you can drive anything haha

Grogador
04-28-2008, 02:24 PM
learn your clutch, fry it a bit until you figure out "the spot", hold the handbrake button until she starts to pull then unbrake it and go :P

or just roll back into the asshole behind you, if he didn't leave 3' then it's his fault, assuming you can prove it somehow...

jsn
04-28-2008, 07:48 PM
i don't think taking a manual coarse will help very much at this point. They can teach you the theory, but you still need to practice it yourself. Best thing to do is find the point where the clutch starts to catch, and try to get the feel for this point. I usually release the clutch very fast until this point, where i slow down a bit so i don't burn out.

I found that practicing how to balancing the clutch on an empty hill, so you don't roll backwards and not move forward was the best way to find the catching point.:dunno:

420Ninja
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Yea all you need to do is get a good idea where the friction point on your clutch is. I swapped a manual into my civic a month or two ago and even in the first week i could launch without rolling backwards at all on a hill start. And i keep telling people dont be that afraid to dump the clutch and give it a bunch of gas, it wont be graceful but i think by doing all sorts of launches instead of pussy footing it all the time gives you a much better of how to work that clutch.