PDA

View Full Version : Another "lower gas prices" email...

Sykes
04-18-2008, 04:21 PM
I'm usually ignore these emails, but this one kinda piqued my curiosity a little bit. This strategy sounds like it could work in theory, but dont' Esso and Shell supply gas to the little guys anyway?

THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY GAS FOR ONE DAY', BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO $.90 PER Litre....hopefully

This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up AND they will continue to rise this summer, take time to read this PLEASE.

Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the 'don't buy gas on a certain day' campaign that was going around last April or May!
It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

I hear we are going to hit close to $ 2.00 a litre by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down?

We need to take some intelligent, united action. The oil companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to 'hurt' ourselves by refusing to buy gas.

It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.
BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can Really work. Please read on and join with us!

By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.00 is super cheap. Me too! It is currently $1.22 for regular unleaded in my town.

Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.14, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that BUYERS control the marketplace...not sellers.

With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action.
The only way we are going to see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.

But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.

Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies,
ESSO and SHELL.

If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their prices. If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

But to have an impact, we need to reach literally millions of Esso and Shell gas buyers. It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

I am sending this note to 30 people.
If each of us send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) .. and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.
If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!

If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people. That's all!

(If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people.... Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician. But I am... so trust me on this one.

How long would all that take? If each of us sends this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of receipt, all in. I suggest that we not buy from Esso and Shell UNTIL 300 MILLION people could conceivably be contacted within the next 8 days!!!

I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!
Acting together we can make a difference.

If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on. THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO BELOW THE $1.00 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.

THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

97'Scort
04-18-2008, 04:25 PM
THIS CAN REALLY WORK.

No, it can't. Have you ever tried to get 300 million people doing anything at the same time? The logistics are a gong show...

2002civic
04-18-2008, 04:32 PM
FAIL

MidnightDreamer
04-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Good idea tho... Where does 7-11 get thier gas?

old&slow
04-18-2008, 04:44 PM
requires more than emails. it requires leadership and promotion.
maybe a beyond dream team to get the word out to all the websites that were involved in the claw incident...and then to the globe and mail!

ExtraSlow
04-18-2008, 04:50 PM
another fail. Total demand doesn't go down, average price doesn't go down.
you might be able to put a couple of local independent businesses into bankruptcy, but what's the point in that? Nearly all gas stations are independently owned. Shell and Imperial Oil aren't loosing out in this deal.

If you want to pay less for fuel, use less. Simple.

TomcoPDR
04-18-2008, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow

If you want to pay less for fuel, use less. Simple.

+1 or make the gf drive

ianmcc
04-18-2008, 09:10 PM
The car is so ingrained in North American society today the oil companies could charge $5.00/L and consumption won't decrease one iota. Seriously, if gas prices doubled overnight, who would actually drive less? Would there be a mass dumping of SUVs on the market? Or would we bitch and moan and pound on our keyboards and then eventually suck it up and pay.

94boosted
04-18-2008, 09:23 PM
Very optimistic idea but unfortunately it won't work and when it comes to oil it's definitely the sellers that control the market and they always will.

dragonone
04-18-2008, 10:10 PM
i'm a pretty avg person, and i can safely say that i will not go out of my way to get gas, esp. when lots of us have things like a speedpass:dunno:

icetraycnb
04-18-2008, 11:14 PM
OP is right. Most smaller gas stations get their gasoline from Imperial Oil, which is Esso. So by following this plan you are only hurting individual businesses.

ramminghard
04-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Should we all turn turn off our gas water heaters and furnace's too? Selling refined gasoline is not the only way these corporations make money.

trieuth
04-19-2008, 01:01 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

+1 or make the gf drive

:clap:

QuasarCav
04-19-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by ianmcc
The car is so ingrained in North American society today the oil companies could charge $5.00/L and consumption won't decrease one iota. Seriously, if gas prices doubled overnight, who would actually drive less? Would there be a mass dumping of SUVs on the market? Or would we bitch and moan and pound on our keyboards and then eventually suck it up and pay.

$5.00L gas would be a disaster. Consumer products would get too expensive for the average consumer and my gas payment for an Integra would be 1200 dollars a month. I would start riding the bus at that point.

Oh, and a ticket would cost me 10 dollars.

Canmorite
04-19-2008, 01:17 PM
All these companies sell gas to each other, so Exxon and Shell would just sell their gas to Imperial Oil, Chevron and Husky to meet increased demand at those outlets.

Gimmie a break :rofl:

You want Oil and Gas prices to go back down? Get Asia to curb their demand. Good luck with that...

TYMSMNY
04-19-2008, 01:45 PM
or N.A. to curb demand. I like how it's "We can use all the oil we want... we just want other people to stop using it".

Gasoline inventories fell by 3,000,000 barrels last week I believe.

mikestang
04-19-2008, 02:34 PM
gas stations dont make much on gas... they make a couple cents a litre off it, their major income is inside the store, so it doesnt really hurt anyone too much.

broken_legs
04-19-2008, 06:40 PM
How bout this:

If you want cheap gas stop thinking of retarded shit to get companies to lower prices that is never going to work.

Instead, write a letter to your MP. Tell them you want a National Energy Program. Tell them you are fed up with paying higher prices for oil and gas than the countries that buy our oil and gas. Tell them that oil and gas is our national resource and we should be energy independent. Tell them that you want the price of gas to be subsidized for Canadians since we all own it.

Then when the government does that, freak out and threaten to break away from the rest of Canada because the NEP is hurting business in Alberta.

Canmorite
04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by broken_legs

Then when the government does that, freak out and threaten to break away from the rest of Canada because the NEP is hurting business in Alberta.

:rofl:

dsbooyah
04-19-2008, 07:50 PM
list gas stations that are not part of the big ones and ill fill up there as long as they have 91 octane. I am game for anything that could bring down gas prices. It does not hurt to try this. Plus there is so many peeps from this site (all over the world). It might work.

01RedDX
04-19-2008, 08:24 PM

chadnixon
04-19-2008, 08:42 PM
unfortunally, as mentioned before, most of us will still drive the same amount if gas was 5 bucks a liter as compared to a dollar a liter. In the end, when its -40 outside im not going to stand at a bus station and wait. no, im going to go outside, start my car, come back in and wait 10 mins while it warms up.. just as most people do.

gas was $1.28 in NS today.

Canmorite
04-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by dsbooyah
list gas stations that are not part of the big ones and ill fill up there as long as they have 91 octane. I am game for anything that could bring down gas prices. It does not hurt to try this. Plus there is so many peeps from this site (all over the world). It might work.

If we boycott 7 out of 8 gas stations (for example) the demand at the remaining station will sky-rocket, and all the gas from other seven will be shipped there regardless of prior agreements because of the demand.

This way just doesn't work. If you want gas prices to go lower, somehow curb world wide demand, and pray that our dollar stays elevated.

88jbody
04-20-2008, 10:42 AM
use less is the only way prices will make a drop, or if we get a large surplus.

if everyone would walk to the corner store, and things like that it may not make a difference you see at the pump, but the more people that start to walk, bike and just use less makes it that much more possible for the price to come down.

if gas prices jumped that much I would do less driving or at least less un-nessesary trips. and very possibly get a more fuel economic car.

there is never enough following nomater how good the theory for these tactics.

hybrids will just ebcome much more common

GT6
04-20-2008, 10:59 AM
$2.35 a litre here!