PDA

View Full Version : how do parking authority tow cars?

j0nblayz
04-18-2008, 05:34 PM
well i got my car towed today for parking in a bus stop zone on 2nd st and 2nd ave right by eau claire, but the thing is there no "no parking sign" nor a bus stop sign. 2 other guys whos got there cars towed were at the calgary impound also, we are all gonna fight the tickets together and appeal it. anyways thats not the issue, just wondering how do they tow lowered cars? i know bmw's are required to use flatbed trucks, so im hoping citywide towing used a flatbed. But even if they used a flatbed, how do they get my car even on the flatbed? i left my e-brake on and its an auto, so do they jack up the car first? Im hoping theres no damage on the car, but i can't even check right now, its snowing so hard and im parked outside.

Weapon_R
04-18-2008, 05:37 PM
They likely used dollies, not a flatbed.

j0nblayz
04-18-2008, 05:38 PM
oh man, i should check the exhaust tips.. where should i check for damage?

pome902
04-18-2008, 05:45 PM
Just take a walk around your car check under
from lip, rear end/bumper exaust ...

ZorroAMG
04-18-2008, 05:46 PM
They would have dollied it and there won't be damage. Relax.

How can you fight a ticket when you parked in a bus zone?

tentacles
04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Why are BMWs required to have flatbeds?

natejj
04-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by ZorroAMG
They would have dollied it and there won't be damage. Relax.

How can you fight a ticket when you parked in a bus zone?

He said....

but the thing is there no "no parking sign" nor a bus stop sign.

89s1
04-18-2008, 05:49 PM
You mean that even though you drive a BMW they had the audacity to tow you for parking in an illegal zone?

I thought those trivial little rules don't apply when you drive a BMW.... Oh well, at least you're fighting the tiket :thumbsup:

you putz.:banghead:

ZorroAMG
04-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by natejj

He said....

Realized that. If there was a bus bench or a glass booth, common sense would have you NOT park there. If there is absolutely NO indication, then fight it...if you were blind, u suck.

Tentacles....they are not required to have flat beds...that's just more wannabe elitism from the brand...

j0nblayz
04-18-2008, 06:17 PM
guys as i mentioned in the original thread, there was no bus stop sign nor no "no parking sign", and there was no glass housing nor any benches. Theres not a single sign there is a bus stop there, from talking to other people, i guess the bus stop is literally on the other end of the block, but for some reason you can park on the whole block.

Makaveli2k
04-18-2008, 07:09 PM
BMW drivers... such pompous Asses!.. oh wait =)

Most likely they lifted your car by the rear wheels and let the steering lock hang on for dear life. That way it wouldn't matter if your parking brake was on or you have an auto.

Take a thorough look Strut mounts, when you drive it home are there any shimmys or weird creeks coming from anywhere that weren't there before. Visual damage around the lips bumpers etc bottom area of your car.

Hope all works out for you.

89s1
04-18-2008, 07:27 PM
I hear its common sense to leave some room for a bus to maneuver into the atual "bus stop" as opposed to making them parallel park into the spot as you had intended :dunno:

Hounddog
04-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by 89s1
I hear its common sense to leave some room for a bus to maneuver into the atual "bus stop" as opposed to making them parallel park into the spot as you had intended :dunno:

LOL!!!!

pome902
04-18-2008, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Hounddog

LOL!!!!

Whats so funny ?

The bus stop was no were even close to where he parked,
Therefore leaving room wouldnt even be needed.

GT4rally
04-18-2008, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by tentacles
Why are BMWs required to have flatbeds?

They aren't, but towing an AWD vehicle with one set of wheels rolling will ruin the viscous coupling in the AWD system (big $ to replace).

Strider
04-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Saw the car this AM. Watched the truck behind him getting towed. It was on dollies, towed from the rear.

Here's a pic of the spot in question... OP was parked probably right next to where the 7 series is in the pic... bus stop is 2/3 of the way down the block.

http://members.shaw.ca/corytang/IMAGE_070.jpg

Unfortunately, according to Calgary traffic bylaw, if there's no sign to denote the start of the bus zone, it starts at the beginning of the block:

Section 2.1(f)
http://www.calgary.ca/DocGallery/BU/cityclerks/26m96.pdf

Gay? yes...

ZorroAMG
04-19-2008, 03:38 AM
They would have lifted the rear and dollied the front, not drag it on its front wheels.

arian_ma
04-19-2008, 09:18 AM
By "dollie" do you guys mean those "wheels" they insert under your car and that your car in fact doesn't roll on its own wheels at all?

If they didn't do that, I think they'd get sued like 100x a year for ruining RWD cars' differentials

CivicTunr
04-19-2008, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma
By "dollie" do you guys mean those "wheels" they insert under your car and that your car in fact doesn't roll on its own wheels at all?

If they didn't do that, I think they'd get sued like 100x a year for ruining RWD cars' differentials

Actually it depends on how the differential and transmission are lubricated.

And there is a rule called 50/50. It means dont go past a distance of 50km, and dont go faster than 50km.

Thaco
04-19-2008, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by arian_ma

If they didn't do that, I think they'd get sued like 100x a year for ruining RWD cars' differentials in a rwd car they'll typically lift it fromt he rear, so letting it roll on the front wheels does no damage.

jdm_eg6
04-19-2008, 10:24 AM
i dont know about city-wide. They treat your car like garbage IMO.

When my friends EG got towed they used a regular lift (a no no if the car is 3 inches off the ground) they dragged it off a curb with the handbrake still on (no dollies) exhaust hit the ground and curb. then radiator fluid began to leak everywhere...

/end story

i hope they treat BMW's a lot nicer.