PDA

View Full Version : 98 m3 costs

Scope951
04-19-2008, 12:36 AM
I'm interested in the e36 m3s however after some research I'd like to ask first hand owners and others with experience if the preventative costs are too expensive for a low buget ($1000/year maybe). Is purchasing all those parts with common problems too expensive for this kind of budget... Mind you, more advanced jobs I will not be able to handle, and will pay for BMW mechanic labour, or a third party shop.

Thanks, advice is appreciated

97'Scort
04-19-2008, 01:14 AM
If you can't afford $1000/year, then the car better be no more than 100,000 km's and look like it's been kept in celophane wrap for the last decade.

My 328 had 106k on it a year ago, and I've exceeded $1000 in basic maintenance (plus another few g's in extras): brakes, control arm bushings, belts, thermostat, oil changes, alignment, tires, coolant flush. And most of that I did myself. It's all worth it though, so much fun to drive.

Then again, I can't think of any 10 year old car that's not going to ding you at least a grand/year maintainance if you want to keep it pristine.

Scope951
04-19-2008, 01:44 AM
Also is it best to go to one of the bmw dealers for the check up when purchsing used? Is it worth the wait, or is a third party shop okay? Recommendations?

I'd like to hear about the maintenance still beacuse I hear it on and off of "very reliable" and "terrible cost"

zarge
04-19-2008, 04:12 AM
I don't drive any kind of car.. but if you can't afford maintenance like $1000 a year forget it. My tires alone cost $1500 a run. Unless you are amazing with $$$ and remember to save for simple things like this don't get it!

funkedelic
04-19-2008, 12:34 PM
all depends on how many km's are on the car, what kind of condition its in and if the maintnence is up to date. Nobody here can give you an exact amount on how much you might spend a year, but chances are that it will be over $1000 a year. One of my inspections is worth a lot more than that on my e46 and oil changes at the dealer are $200+

Weapon_R
04-19-2008, 12:50 PM
$1000 for preventative maintenance is fine, but you might see some repair costs that exceed that if you have problems. A common issue with these cars is the water pumps/thermostats, which can run you almost 1k to repair alone.

boarderfatty
04-19-2008, 08:31 PM
Make sure it has its inspection number 2 completed b BMW, it's likely to be more than what you are willing to pay, and a Third party inspection should be fine since BMW wont certify anything that old.