PDA

View Full Version : Shooting Range

The Cosworth
04-19-2008, 05:28 PM
I know there are a few shooters on Beyond so I wanted to ask.

I went shooting last year with some family friends out in Kananaski's and want to get my license, get a rifle and a couple hand guns, and start hitting the range.

1.) Where do I find information about taking the course in Calgary? I only knew where to get it in Vernon.

2.) Where is a good place to buy guns in calgary?

3.) Where is a good place to shoot?

rmk
04-19-2008, 05:35 PM
Shooting Edge on Blackfoot Tr.

:drool:

The Cosworth
04-19-2008, 05:39 PM
sick thanks!

KeepItGully
04-19-2008, 06:01 PM
Shooting Edge is EXPENSIVE however..

The Cosworth
04-19-2008, 06:13 PM
^^ where is better for cheap?

natejj
04-19-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
^^ where is better for cheap?

I hear Forest Lawn is a popular location during the summer.

dj_rice
04-19-2008, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by natejj

I hear Forest Lawn is a popular location during the summer.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and it comes with free live moving targets (crackheads)

jav_
04-19-2008, 07:24 PM
^ L:rofl:L

stunta666
04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Getting a rifle license is fairly easy, there's a place on elbow dr. that offer's a 2 day course. To get the hand gun license is the harder one but it's not that much harder. I think you need your non restricted(rifle) before you get the restricted(handgun). And for hand guns you cant go wrong with the desert eagle, they got a gold plated one with tiger stripes that's some sick shit.

clockworkboy3
04-19-2008, 07:52 PM
You have to have a good reason to own a handgun in canada and be a member of a shooting club.

TVG
04-20-2008, 01:50 AM
So fun, but so expensive. Shotgun if the best. The big ass dirty harry revolvers are fun too. You can actually feel the heat of the explosion coming out the barrel.

retro-steve
04-23-2008, 04:36 PM
I work at The Shooting Edge so any questions just PM me.

We are the only place in Calgary to rent Firearms and the only place where the non-licensed public can drop in and shoot.

We offer PAL courses for both your non-restricted and restricted, the course is a 1-day course, runs usually every second Sunday, includes both tests at the end. Course cost is $250 or free with a full annual membership ($500), if you go the route of the membership it's your best bet, you save $40 every time you come in on day passes, one guest at half price ($20) and 20% off all range ammunition. With the PAL course if you come 5 times in a year the membership pays for itself, also if you wanted to buy a gun and don't want to wait the 2 months for your license to come in as a member you can buy the gun, it's kept in our vault free of charge and a range officer will take your and your gun onto the range whenever you want to shoot. Once you get your license we transfer the firearm over to you and you can take it home.

Be advised that we are booked into August right now for the PAL course.

TomcoPDR
04-23-2008, 04:42 PM
Good info Steve,

Not sure if it's still avaliable, but when I took ur course, I had the option after taking the $250 course that within 1 year, if I decide to purchase a yearly membership, that the $250 gets discounted from the membership cost?

Originally posted by retro-steve
I work at The Shooting Edge so any questions just PM me.

We are the only place in Calgary to rent Firearms and the only place where the non-licensed public can drop in and shoot.

We offer PAL courses for both your non-restricted and restricted, the course is a 1-day course, runs usually every second Sunday, includes both tests at the end. Course cost is $250 or free with a full annual membership ($500), if you go the route of the membership it's your best bet, you save $40 every time you come in on day passes, one guest at half price ($20) and 20% off all range ammunition. With the PAL course if you come 5 times in a year the membership pays for itself, also if you wanted to buy a gun and don't want to wait the 2 months for your license to come in as a member you can buy the gun, it's kept in our vault free of charge and a range officer will take your and your gun onto the range whenever you want to shoot. Once you get your license we transfer the firearm over to you and you can take it home.

Be advised that we are booked into August right now for the PAL course.

TKRIS
04-23-2008, 04:54 PM
Shooting Edge kicks ass. Of the few things I miss about living in the city, being able to go to a good indoor range is one of them.

OT:
Steve, any idea when the next Black Badge course is going to be? I can't find any info on the TSE webpage.

retro-steve
04-23-2008, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Good info Steve,

Not sure if it's still avaliable, but when I took ur course, I had the option after taking the $250 course that within 1 year, if I decide to purchase a yearly membership, that the $250 gets discounted from the membership cost?

We only offer that right now for the month after your course is taken, so if you registered now you'd have until September to decide if you want the membership and your deposit (min $50) for the course would go towards the annual membership cost, and if you take the course and pay the full $250 you have 1 month and the $250 will be credited. It's just for book keeping purposes because with the current POS system it's too hard to keep track of everything, although we are implimenting a new POS system and things *might* change.

And TKRIS, you'll have to contact TSE and ask about it. Massimo is the one who does all the BB testing and basically comes in as he feels like it, so I have no idea when the next one will be.

stunta666
04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
retro-steve, any chance you have any old or spare guns you wanna get rid of( it's for this project i'm trying to do)? ;)

dj_rice
04-23-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by stunta666
retro-steve, any chance you have any old or spare guns you wanna get rid of( it's for this project i'm trying to do)? ;)

Uhh....somebody quote this and send it to the CPS :rofl:

badatusrnames
04-23-2008, 06:05 PM

Huh... wtf??

Kloubek
04-23-2008, 06:15 PM
Osama Bin Laden to Russia:
Any chance you have any spare plutonium you wanna get rid of (it's for this project I'm trying to do)?;)

retro-steve
04-23-2008, 06:29 PM

None of my stuff goes to anyone without a valid PAL :)

JAYMEZ
04-23-2008, 06:39 PM
^^ Any beyond deals on Rifles? I need a new one for hunting deer.

Fire_chickin
04-23-2008, 06:42 PM
These guys do a PAL course for a donation. I paid them $50. It takes about two nights to get it.
http://www.aheia.com/
If you're interested in hunting, these guys also provide mentor hunts free of charge. It gets you out with experienced guys to learn the ropes. Totally worth it if you don't have anyone to go with.
And there's an outdoor rifle range out at Sibbald Flats just west of Calgary that's open to the public.
There's plenty of good shops in Calgary to gear up. Believe it or not the Canadian Tire on McLeod Trail has a huge selection and guys who know their stuff.
Barotto's and Russels are good too.
Hope that helps a bit.

nd54
04-23-2008, 07:00 PM
AHEIA for all your courses. The best instructors, facilities, and programs, and it's run by volunteers so you can donate whatever you want. Be generous though, these guys really help out all hunters/gun owners/shooters etc...

To find a range, ask around. There are a few rifle ranges out of the city and a couple handgun ranges within the city limits. I've been to a handgun range near the airport but I forget the name. I would avoid the Shooting Edge, it's mostly just people wanting to blast off a few rounds for fun. Joining an actual range will help you meet like minded people and become a better shooter. I love clay pigeon shooting so I usually go to the AHEIA range south of the city, or Silver Willow in Carstairs.

Wholesale sports is the best place to buy guns I think, but if you're looking for an exotic rifle or shotgun you'll have to import it yourself, which is surprisingly straightforward and the duty rate isn't high either.

n1zm0
04-23-2008, 07:12 PM
i can only answer #3

shooting edge is great, just go in and pay for bullets pretty much, shot a choice of 5 9mm handguns, ak47 and an m16(maybe it was a Car-15) but that jammed too often so the guy returned with a G6, fun times, good place, great staff!

way to spend a lunch break:thumbsup:

edit: i saw piles of politician campaigning signs with their faces in the rifle room, maybe you could explain those steve? :D

rinny
04-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i can only answer #3

shooting edge is great, just go in and pay for bullets pretty much, shot a choice of 5 9mm handguns, ak47 and an m16(maybe it was a Car-15) but that jammed too often so the guy returned with a G6, fun times, good place, great staff!

edit: i saw piles of politician campaigning signs with their faces in the rifle room, maybe you could explain those steve? :D

Did you have to pay like a $15 fee for each gun you used off the rack?

retro-steve
04-23-2008, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by n1zm0
i can only answer #3

Instead of changing all campaign signs to "re-elect" it's cheaper to print new signs. Rob Anders (the man you see on those posters and also a member at the range) donated all his old signs to be used as backing for the targets to be stapled onto.

retro-steve
04-23-2008, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by rinny

Did you have to pay like a $15 fee for each gun you used off the rack?

No. Your $40 day pass covers the rental of all PISTOL BAY firearms. Any big calibre rifle (.223rem and greater) requires a $10/rifle maintenance fee for the range as to keep the rifle range in working condition. The pistol bay plates need to be fixed once every 6 months whereas the rifle bay under heavy use needs it done sometimes twice a month which is incredibly costly.

TKRIS
04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
IMHO, if you're going to TSE, you owe it to yourself to shoot a 1911.

Don't get blinded by the polymer, newfangled stuff.

Saint John Browning perfected the semi-auto 100 years ago...

Just my opinion.

stunta666
04-23-2008, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames

Huh... wtf??

It was a joke you retard. Next time i'm jokin around i'll try to make sure i put in somewhere that it's just a joke so you don't get all confused and shit. Sorry bout that. :cry:

badatusrnames
04-23-2008, 11:05 PM

It was a joke you retard. Next time i'm jokin around i'll try to make sure i put in somewhere that it's just a joke so you don't get all confused and shit. Sorry bout that. :cry:

Yeah I know it was a "joke" it was just a piss poor one, that's all.

And no need for name calling.

stunta666
04-23-2008, 11:13 PM
Damn man i just posted that a couple minutes ago. And before this thread starts to go to shit, take some of your own advice
Originally posted by badatusrnames
^^ Give it up already...

HondaRice
04-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by dj_rice

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: and it comes with free live moving targets (crackheads)

u mean the beline, double the crime double the crackheads :poosie: :poosie:

legendboy
04-24-2008, 08:57 AM
I did my restricted and unrestricted PAL at ITTA. Pretty cool place. Super cool instructors. I highly recomend for noobs.

http://www.ittacanada.com/

As for purchasing firearms, I deal with Proline Shooters in inglewood. Nice people down there.

Anyways, we should have a beyond plinking meet!!!

Does anybody have any land you would allow me to come shoot gophers on??? :D

stunta666
04-24-2008, 09:16 AM
We need a beyond gopher shoot. There's a vid somewhere of a guy shooting these things with a really high powered rifle. They would pick one and zoom in on it with the camera and next thing you know the gopher literally gets blown up from the rifle shot.:guns:

legendboy
04-24-2008, 09:18 AM
17HMR!

TKRIS
04-24-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm working on some 110gr rounds for my .30-06 that should be around 3500fps.
Should make shooting gophers fun this year.

Still need to pick up a couple more mags for my .22s and I'll be all set.

If someone's got a farm or something with lots of gophers, and it isn't too terribly far, I'm might be interested in a gopher shoot.