PDA

View Full Version : Car Inspection Question

micheal.m
04-19-2008, 10:57 PM
I have a quick question about car inspection. I bought a new car back in 03' at Vancouver and drove it down to the states and got it registered and insured there. I started modding it down there and drove it back to Calgary. My question is, if I want to insure it here in Calgary, do I need a out of province inspection or is there such a thing called out of country inspection?

sr20s14zenki
04-19-2008, 11:06 PM
you will need an out of country i believe.

Weapon_R
04-19-2008, 11:19 PM
You'll need an out of province inspection for any vehicle brought from outside Alberta if you want to register it here.

VDubbez86
04-19-2008, 11:42 PM
I've Imported two cars from the states. Now they were both bought in America not Canada, As oppose to yours so the situation might be different. I had to get them both Provincial Inspections as well as Federal, Tip try to avoid Canadian tire there Douche bags when it comes to it. If you just need a provincial inspection try a small mechanic shop thats certified for inspections they let me get away with a bunch of crap.

retro-steve
04-19-2008, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by VDubbez86
I've Imported two cars from the states. Now they were both bought in America not Canada, As oppose to yours so the situation might be different. I had to get them both Provincial Inspections as well as Federal, Tip try to avoid Canadian tire there Douche bags when it comes to it. If you just need a provincial inspection try a small mechanic shop thats certified for inspections they let me get away with a bunch of crap.

If you need the federal RIV inspection CT is the only place you can go.

As for this car it'll just need an OOP since it is a Canadian car, doesn't really matter that it was registered in the states unless it was modified to meet American compliance. Best bet would be to contact TC or the RIV directly and ask them.

micheal.m
04-19-2008, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the quick replies so far. That's what I was assuming.. since it is a Canadian car, would I just only need an out of province inspection or will I need the federal as well just because it was insured and registered it the states? I would contract the RIV but before I do, I would like to know what I will be looking at.

retro-steve
04-20-2008, 12:02 AM
It is a tricky situation, but I'm guessing since the car was at one time registered and insured in Canada it's still considered a Canadian car, and if it can be proven that it was you should be exempt from RIV inspection and duties at the boarder.

micheal.m
04-20-2008, 12:12 AM
It was registered and insured in BC from 2003-2006 and I still have the documents, would that be enough to prove it is a Canadian car also accompany with then bill of sale when it was purchased? Would that exempt me from getting a federal inspection? If anyone can chime in here that would be great, if no one knows the answer I'll call the registry on Monday.

retro-steve
04-20-2008, 12:14 AM
Probably enough, but I'm not going to say for sure since TC has been known to do gayer things

403civic
04-20-2008, 12:18 AM
Originally posted by VDubbez86
I got away with No DRLs!
LOL

canuckcarguy
04-20-2008, 01:31 AM
I wouldn't even involve TC. Just insure it, get an out of province inspection, and register it. As long as the VIN shows in the registry system, which it should if the NVIS was initially entered in Canada, you shouldn't have a problem.

Visit a registry if you're in doubt, give them the VIN, and ask what you require in order to register. I wouldn't bother telling them it spent time in the USA - why open that can of worms?