PDA

View Full Version : No more analog tv?

Bimmer88
04-20-2008, 11:52 AM
Hey guys,

Not sure if this is a repost or not but I tried to search it can saw nothing. But I've heard from a few friends, and cable stations that in 2009 there will be no more analog tv but digital?

ecstasy_civic
04-20-2008, 11:53 AM
in the states, 2011 in canada

dr_jared88
04-20-2008, 11:54 AM
As far as I am aware only the US has that set thus far. I don't think here in Canada we have a set date yet. I'm not 100% sure about that though

*EDIT* Theres your answer above lol

Bimmer88
04-20-2008, 12:02 PM
Not until 2011! holy shit..... that's a hella long time.

Oh well... but are they making the move because people demand it? or because they our tv's are their making is digital to make it better quality?

01RedDX
04-20-2008, 12:05 PM

BlackArcher101
04-20-2008, 01:03 PM
Analog channels take up a lot of bandwidth that could be used elsewhere. For example, going off memory now... 1 Analog channel takes up enough bandwidth that can be used for 3 digital channels. Removing the analog distibution will free up space for HDTV and more channels.

googe
04-20-2008, 01:31 PM
its especially good for people getting TV over the air. to more fiddling with rabbit ears to get the flames game with snow all over it. if you get enough signal to get the picture, then its 100% perfect digital clarity. unfortunately there aren't a lot of broadcasters in the calgary area, but in bigger centers there is quite a benefit. in seattle I can get like 10 HD channels perfectly in dolby digital 5.1 using a coathanger.

Originally posted by Bimmer88
Not until 2011! holy shit..... that's a hella long time.

Oh well... but are they making the move because people demand it? or because they our tv's are their making is digital to make it better quality?

it was a push by the industry, but consumers dont mind, because its better for them too. the only ones that dont stand to benefit are those with old TVs that cant afford converter boxes. but in some areas, they'll be provided with coupons to cover about 80% of the cost.

reduces costs for broadcasters and service providers, allows them to put more channels on, and improves quality on every channel. so everyone wins pretty much.

youll notice even now on lower shaw channels, you might see some ghosting or noise. with this move, every non-hd channel will be like watching a dvd. also, they'll have the option of compressing their HD content less (shaw HD gets blocky during scene changes/fast motion because of bandwidth restrictions)

ecstasy_civic
04-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I was working with a telus R&D guy last week and he is demoing the telus HD box, he said telus is hoping to have 1080p out of a box by the beginning of 09' which would be unheard of for any cable/sat provider.

googe
04-20-2008, 01:54 PM
yeah, DTV standard only supports 1080i right now. 1080p would be cool, as long as they dont accomplish it by overcompressing. id still rather have twice as many 1080i channels than half as many 1080p channels though.

ecstasy_civic
04-20-2008, 01:59 PM
I agree 100%

malbadon
04-20-2008, 05:00 PM
Since no HD broadcaster outputs in 1080p, what possible purpose would Telus be trying to gobble up more of their precious bandwidth with trying to output 1080p? You already can't have more than two tv's with them just pushing standard definition stuff.
...actually, I don't even think TelusTV has any HD yet does it, I remember it as one of those endless "just a few months away" stories. Once they've got that, then we can talk the double bandwidth 1080p would take.

But ya, dumping analog will be a good thing, should mean more HD channels. If I recall from digitalhome.ca , googe is right, analog gobbles up enough space for 3 channels in digital format.

But it sure would be nice if Calgary was closer to a major US city like Toronto it, over there those guys are able to toss up an antenna and pick up clean crisp HD signals from all the major networks across the border for free.

ecstasy_civic
04-20-2008, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by malbadon
Since no HD broadcaster outputs in 1080p, what possible purpose would Telus be trying to gobble up more of their precious bandwidth with trying to output 1080p? You already can't have more than two tv's with them just pushing standard definition stuff.
...actually, I don't even think TelusTV has any HD yet does it, I remember it as one of those endless "just a few months away" stories. Once they've got that, then we can talk the double bandwidth 1080p would take.

But ya, dumping analog will be a good thing, should mean more HD channels. If I recall from digitalhome.ca , googe is right, analog gobbles up enough space for 3 channels in digital format.

But it sure would be nice if Calgary was closer to a major US city like Toronto it, over there those guys are able to toss up an antenna and pick up clean crisp HD signals from all the major networks across the border for free.

I dunno if you read the above posts, but it was the R&D guy I was working with that was testing out the HD box, theres like 50 of them in Calgary and a shitload of them in Deadmonton

dragonone
04-20-2008, 06:44 PM
how do u remove a microfilter?:D

i have absolutely no faith in telus, they can't even get their telusTV to run smoothly

ecstasy_civic
04-20-2008, 08:25 PM
It was painful playing with it, the guide is brutally slow, the menu is not easily accessible.

The HD channels are all over the place, one of the things I found cool was it had about 100 radio stations, not that I listen to the radio all that much, but kind of a neat feature.

Oh, and the remote sucks lol

Bimmer88
04-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
how do u remove a microfilter?:D

i have absolutely no faith in telus, they can't even get their telusTV to run smoothly

lol I don't this forum supports illegal activities... :) but be my guest and do what you want. I would take Satellite over Cable any day!

HondaRice
04-21-2008, 12:32 AM
so is there over the air hd in calgary?

turbo4dr
04-21-2008, 06:35 AM
Originally posted by HondaRice
so is there over the air hd in calgary?

Nope.................. but I sure hope we get some :)

soupey
04-21-2008, 06:55 AM
with the abolition of analog tv comes the introduction of over the air free HD tv. The reason they're having a hard time deciding whether or not to make the switch in canada is because over 2/3 of the country have cable in their house, making hte use of antennas very low...upgrading all the towers to support OTA in major cities is pricey, and doing it for the select few ppl who will watch OTA channels doesnt seem worth it, whereas in teh states there are a shitload of ppl (including me) who use it. that and the states wanted to free up signal space incase of emergencies like 9/11.

sucks that canada is lagging behind on this one, having free OTA broadcasts here has definitely been really nice to use over the old analog signals. buy hey 2011 isnt THAT long, and im sure some stations will introduce it before then, vancouver apparently has 2 channels already, and places near toronto get much more, as well as US channels that spill over the border...just a matter of time.

there apparently was also some thought of going the european way and abolishing antenna and cable tv, and instead making everyone pay the TV tax that owns a household....

rage2
04-21-2008, 07:44 AM
Just as a clarification because a lot of people misunderstand this...

The analog TV shutoff is only for over the air TV. The rabbit ears, aka ghetto vision, channels. There is no requirement for cable analog channels to be shut off, but we'll probably see it shut off before OTA anyways because they need bandwidth for HD.

Thaco
04-21-2008, 08:32 AM
also digital receivers are getting cheaper to make than analog, thus cheaper TVs, that's why the new Motorola HD-PVRs have dropped the analog receiver, this allowed them to shrink in physical size too.

SHO
04-21-2008, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by rage2
Just as a clarification because a lot of people misunderstand this...

The analog TV shutoff is only for over the air TV. The rabbit ears, aka ghetto vision, channels. There is no requirement for cable analog channels to be shut off, but we'll probably see it shut off before OTA anyways because they need bandwidth for HD.

We prefer the use of "peasant vision" prowd member since I moved outta my parents house. Who has time for cable T.V.???