PDA

View Full Version : My new Ride...Can't wait for the snow to MELT.

BlkMaxima
04-20-2008, 06:33 PM
Just picked up a 2008 GSX-R 1000 yesterday. I cannot wait for the snow to melt so I can ride it. I got it in Silver and White. Any suggestions for an exhaust? Nothing too loud. A buddy has the Jardine GP-1 exhaust and it's super loud. Maybe a little too noisy.

PICS:

http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/DSC01349.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/DSC01350.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/DSC01351.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/DSC01352.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/DSC01353.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/ff59/Blkmaxima/DSC01354.jpg

Canmorite
04-20-2008, 06:38 PM
1 liter bike, good luck :D

Looks great.

kevie88
04-20-2008, 08:24 PM
You made it home ok! woot

Have fun with that thing but be careful for the first few months! haha

Get leathers and we'll go to the racetrack this year.. :bigpimp:

Go4Long
04-20-2008, 08:29 PM
slip on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Yoshimura-TRC-Exhaust-Suzuki-GSXR1000-GSXR-1000_W0QQitemZ300216885905QQcmdZViewItem

full:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YOSHIMURA-GSXR-1000-GSXR1000-TRC-CF-FULL-EXHAUST-07-08_W0QQitemZ230244945831QQcmdZViewItem

can't go wrong with the yosh :D

oasis
04-20-2008, 08:42 PM
there is no such thing as too loud, as long as it sounds good.

nice bike :burnout:

pinoyhero
04-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Ooo, sick, that is one mean ass looking bike.

cmodem
04-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by Go4Long
slip on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Yoshimura-TRC-Exhaust-Suzuki-GSXR1000-GSXR-1000_W0QQitemZ300216885905QQcmdZViewItem

full:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/YOSHIMURA-GSXR-1000-GSXR1000-TRC-CF-FULL-EXHAUST-07-08_W0QQitemZ230244945831QQcmdZViewItem

can't go wrong with the yosh :D

:werd: yoshimura's are usually on the quieter side of aftermarket exhausts. Plus alot of the suzuki factory teams in ama use yosh so their exhausts are pretty much made for suzuki's.

But if you got the flow go for akrapovic (my personal fave). But they are probably louder then yoshs and the diff in $$$ is huge.

bashir26
04-20-2008, 09:40 PM
Congratulations!

PS. weather looks great in the pictures you posted take less pictures and do more riding!

watch this I think you'll enjoy it http://youtube.com/watch?v=5ke_ENhbHiQ

Enjoy your bike in good health!

drtoohotty1
04-20-2008, 10:09 PM
man i thought buying a slip on for a single exhaust was bad but 2......i guess if you can afford a liter bike then it shouldn't bother you too much

bobby_lu
04-20-2008, 10:10 PM
Sexy colour combo.

7seriesmadness
04-20-2008, 10:13 PM
nice bike

Spoons
04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
To be completely honest go as loud as legally possible (or even then some.)

I look at it as safety. I want to be freaking loud out there when I am riding because you're hard to see as is, so if they can hear you loud and clear, they will probably see you.

BlkMaxima
04-21-2008, 08:24 AM
Thanks for the comments guys!

Originally posted by kevie88
You made it home ok! woot

Have fun with that thing but be careful for the first few months! haha

Get leathers and we'll go to the racetrack this year.. :bigpimp:

That would be great. Probably would learn a lot too.

Originally posted by Spoons

I look at it as safety. I want to be freaking loud out there when I am riding because you're hard to see as is, so if they can hear you loud and clear, they will probably see you.

Good point, I really like the way the Jardine exhaust looks. It sounds really good as well. It's just earpiercing. It's so loud. This system replaces both cans with straight pipes.

SNAATCH
04-21-2008, 08:34 AM
OH SNAP! Is that one of those supercharged Saturn's in the background?!?!?!?!?!?! JK, nice ride man!

Neons4life
04-21-2008, 08:39 AM
I run the Jardine GP-1 exhaust (if you can even call it that) as it's just 2 pieces of pipe.

It sounds great, looks even better as it gets rid of those 2 big nasty cans...I get lots of compliments on it. Earplugs are a must

legendboy
04-21-2008, 08:41 AM
Is this your first bike?

BlkMaxima
04-21-2008, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by legendboy
Is this your first bike?

Yes.

Sailz
04-21-2008, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by BlkMaxima

Yes.

:banghead:

If you havent yet please take a course from too cool or the like. Also start off SLOW, ride within your comfort level. The worst thing you could do is to go out with friends who are more experienced than you and try to keep up with them.

Other than that nice bike. Keep the rubber side down!

Neons4life
04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I have rode 600's for 6 years now and had 3 accidents. Gone to the track lots and love it (track improves skill beyond belief).

Got my 07 gsxr 1000 and it's just a beast...scares the $hit out of me a few times already hahaha. I would love to go back to a 600 as it was fun beating the guys on the 1000's.

MY main reason for a 1000 is you don't have to keep the rpm's screaming up high to stay in the power.

5hift
04-21-2008, 12:19 PM

:werd: My akrapovic is loud and does get annoying on long rides, but I've had several situations where I'm pretty sure reving my bike saved my life when I was in someone's blind spot and they were about to lane change into me.

That said, the Jardine is wayy to loud. I'm pretty sure you will get tired of that tone within a season.

Originally posted by Sailz

If you havent yet please take a course from too cool or the like. Also start off SLOW, ride within your comfort level. The worst thing you could do is to go out with friends who are more experienced than you and try to keep up with them.

Other than that nice bike. Keep the rubber side down!
QFTW

Do not go out with friends until you are very comfortable with the bike. You would not believe how many people I know have crashed because the first thing they did when they got their bike was go riding with friends who have been for years, and then try to keep up with them. - A performance car can hide the inabilities of a driver. A bike like this cannot; make a mistake and not only have you crashed and most likely hurt yourself, but you just lost a brand new bike.

Your bike has a ton of tourque and can pretty much do wheelies on comand, so be careful with that.

All that said, right now your biggest fear should be the remaining gravel on the roads. Keep your eyes peeled especially on smaller residential roads. Because its your first bike, especially if you like the way your plastic looks intact, I'd suggest some frame sliders.

Lastly, invest in security. If there have been several attempts to steal my 03 600 RR, I'm pretty sure your bike will be very attractive to theives. Bikes are just too easy to steal, but preventitive steps arent.

BlkMaxima
04-21-2008, 12:58 PM
I have already taken a rider training course last summer. I have already ridden 600's and a couple 1000's. I said it was "my" first bike. Not the first bike I have ever ridden. That being said, I'm not a super experienced rider either. This bike also offer A,B and C modes. A being the fastest and C being a rainy conditions power map. I will be trying my best to stay in B or C mode until I get used to the bike and the way it handles.

Also, does anyone have an insurance company with good rates. A couple of the places I've been calling are telling me that they won't insure sportbikes or they won't insure over 750cc bikes. :bullshit:

For the exhaust the Jardine comes with silencers, but I doubt it will change the sound much.

Neons4life
04-21-2008, 02:13 PM
The one and only insurance company for bikes to go to is Statefarm. I am married and 25 with full coverage I pay just under 1000/year. They can even set you up with monthly payments.

Sailz
04-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by Neons4life
The one and only insurance company for bikes to go to is Statefarm. I am married and 25 with full coverage I pay just under 1000/year. They can even set you up with monthly payments.

+1 WAY less than expensive than others. Especially for new riders.

mslbebiz
04-21-2008, 07:56 PM
Wicked bike man! Looks awesome.

CRAZY for a first bike though, you must have some sort of death wish or something.

I just bought a Suzuki SV650S on Thursday (my first bike), so I feel ya on the snow issue. Remind me again why we live in this shithole?

Enjoy the new wheels and RIDE SAFE.

BlkMaxima
04-22-2008, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Sailz

+1 WAY less than expensive than others. Especially for new riders.

Called them, they were average for me not low not high but right in the middle. I ended up going through a company out of Edmonton that I took my course with. Got a huge discount. The guy that owns the school also owns the insurance company.
:thumbsup:

Originally posted by mslbebiz
Wicked bike man! Looks awesome.

CRAZY for a first bike though, you must have some sort of death wish or something.

I just bought a Suzuki SV650S on Thursday (my first bike), so I feel ya on the snow issue. Remind me again why we live in this shithole?

Enjoy the new wheels and RIDE SAFE.

Thanks,

I don't have a death wish. I'm not afraid of what myself or the bike can do, more of what the other drivers on the road will do. If I get into an accident, it will more than likely have to do with another drivers stupidity and lack of attention.

The weather looks like it's supposed to get better starting on the weekend. Hopefully it's warm enough next week so I can ride it to work or something. I'll have my fingers crossed.

legendboy
04-22-2008, 11:29 AM

Yes.

lol

Go4Long
04-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I sincerely hope you're joking about it being your first bike...I know seasoned riders that say the GSXR 1000 scares them :P

BlkMaxima
04-22-2008, 12:38 PM

lol

:clap:

:whocares:

CLiVE
04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Congrats on the bike. Looks good.

If you took a riding course, take it easy and use your head you'll be fine.

I would have killed myself on a GSX-R 1000 when I started riding at age 16. However I have seen more 'mature' riders do just fine since they have a little more self control.

Ride safe.

Velox
04-22-2008, 02:26 PM
another great exhaust is the taylormade flush mount exhaust looks great and sounds awsome!

congrats on the new ride!

Velox
04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
oh and state farm gave me an awsome rate for my bike 35/month full coverage without an alarm (brand new R6). They rate the bikes based on # of cc instead of type which makes a big difference in insurance price.

CLiVE
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by Velox
oh and state farm gave me an awsome rate for my bike 35/month full coverage without an alarm (brand new R6). They rate the bikes based on # of cc instead of type which makes a big difference in insurance price.

^^ Good rate. I pay $139/mo for my Ducati.

Clark-Kent
04-22-2008, 02:37 PM
:drool: Nice bike man

stunta666
04-22-2008, 02:38 PM
That bike will probably make it a little harder for you to progress but if you take it easy you should be fine. I've been riding for about 6 years now and i started on an r6, when i bought my r1 about 2 yrs after the r6 it was a whole different ride. You could literally ride all day in 1st gear and 2nd gear on a 1000. Another good thing is in 1st gear the 1000 won't be as twitchy as a 600. The bad is the bike will be harder to corner compared to a 600.
Your gonna get a lot of shit for buying that as a first bike but it really comes down to the rider whether you crash it or not.

legendboy
04-22-2008, 03:25 PM

:clap:

:whocares:

spoken like a true noob :rofl:

congrats!

gretz
04-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Regardless, nice gsxr - not too bad for your first bike, its only as fast as you want it to be. A 600 is just as dangerous - both fast as sht

BlkMaxima
04-22-2008, 05:55 PM

spoken like a true noob :rofl:

congrats!

You are without a doubt "THE" coolest person on Beyond.ca.

:rolleyes:

Spoons
04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
I have already taken a rider training course last summer. I have already ridden 600's and a couple 1000's. I said it was "my" first bike. Not the first bike I have ever ridden. That being said, I'm not a super experienced rider either. This bike also offer A,B and C modes. A being the fastest and C being a rainy conditions power map. I will be trying my best to stay in B or C mode until I get used to the bike and the way it handles.

Also, does anyone have an insurance company with good rates. A couple of the places I've been calling are telling me that they won't insure sportbikes or they won't insure over 750cc bikes. :bullshit:

For the exhaust the Jardine comes with silencers, but I doubt it will change the sound much.

I was just going to say that I believe that the GSXR's litres have an A, B, C mode (I believe it tones it down to 600cc, 750cc, then your 1000cc?)

You're going to get flamed a bit for the 1 litre being your first bike, just kinda take it as is. I am not one to judge though. Riders shouldn't really flame each other, riders should look out for each other out there, we are outnumbered. You'll notice when your out on the street everyone gives a quick wave to each other when passing by.

None the less keep it on the C mode for awhile. Get a feel for the bike, even keep it on C for a few months. Then move up to B, then when you're ready go A. But please for the love of god take that course. It lowers your insurance (I believe) and it can save your life, seriously. You learn a lot. You may have rode a few 600's etc, but you will not have the full experience of the course.

None the less, GSXR's are my favourite bike hands down. Looking at getting another bike here once I am out of engineering (which will be 4 years lol). Can't WAIT to get back on a bike. You will notice that when you jump in your car, you are going to HATE driving it and want to get on your bike. Just stay safe out there, and don't drive like a tool. :thumbsup:

SilverStreak
04-22-2008, 07:39 PM
I say good for you on the 1000cc. Like Clive said, if you have restraint, you can ride a Busa for your first bike and it wouldn't matter.

Take it easy, learn your bike and you should have no problem.

Go4Long
04-22-2008, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by CLiVE

^^ Good rate. I pay $139/mo for my Ducati.

that's high...one of the guys I ride with pays significantly less than that for his 1098

SilverStreak
04-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Hmm, perhaps it is time for us to get off TD Ins :D

Go4Long
04-22-2008, 08:45 PM
state farm
paul rutherford
256-0676:thumbsup:

BrknFngrs
04-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Has anyone else had issues with statefarm not wanting to take your sportbike? I know when I called them the rep I spoke to said they won't insure a 600rr.

To the OP, nice bike. The color combo is wicked.

Go4Long
04-22-2008, 08:56 PM
no issues for me...then again my car is with them too...another thing to take into account is that state farm offers BIG discounts for carrying more than one policy with them...so it's actually really beneficial to insure both your cage and your bike through them...

BrknFngrs
04-22-2008, 09:00 PM
^^ Ya I noticed they were big on the multiple policies, but for auto they couldn't compare to MM (at least in my case) so it was a bust.

BlkMaxima
04-22-2008, 09:02 PM

I was just going to say that I believe that the GSXR's litres have an A, B, C mode (I believe it tones it down to 600cc, 750cc, then your 1000cc?)

You're going to get flamed a bit for the 1 litre being your first bike, just kinda take it as is. I am not one to judge though. Riders shouldn't really flame each other, riders should look out for each other out there, we are outnumbered. You'll notice when your out on the street everyone gives a quick wave to each other when passing by.

None the less keep it on the C mode for awhile. Get a feel for the bike, even keep it on C for a few months. Then move up to B, then when you're ready go A. But please for the love of god take that course. It lowers your insurance (I believe) and it can save your life, seriously. You learn a lot. You may have rode a few 600's etc, but you will not have the full experience of the course.

None the less, GSXR's are my favourite bike hands down. Looking at getting another bike here once I am out of engineering (which will be 4 years lol). Can't WAIT to get back on a bike. You will notice that when you jump in your car, you are going to HATE driving it and want to get on your bike. Just stay safe out there, and don't drive like a tool. :thumbsup:

I knew I would get flamed for it. But I see no point in spending the money on two bikes when this one works as a knocked down version of a 1000 anyways. Also I don't care what anyone says 600's do feel physically smaller than the 1000's especially the CBR line up.

legendboy
04-23-2008, 08:32 AM

I knew I would get flamed for it. But I see no point in spending the money on two bikes when this one works as a knocked down version of a 1000 anyways. Also I don't care what anyone says 600's do feel physically smaller than the 1000's especially the CBR line up.

oh and another tip, don't ever try to move the bike even one inch with the steering lock on :thumbsup:

hope your going to take the riding course..... trust me man, getting a bike that is too "big" for ya is a fast way to pain :(

Rui M
04-23-2008, 09:22 AM
COMMUNITY SAVINGS INSURANCE

They quoted me $80 full coverage for a 1000cc sportbike, that was when i was 22 years old with hardly any insurance history and two speeding tickets. I decided to go with a 750cc and i pay $55 .

BlkMaxima
04-23-2008, 09:44 AM

oh and another tip, don't ever try to move the bike even one inch with the steering lock on :thumbsup:

hope your going to take the riding course..... trust me man, getting a bike that is too "big" for ya is a fast way to pain :(

Ok:rolleyes:

GQBalla
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Rui M
COMMUNITY SAVINGS INSURANCE

They quoted me $80 full coverage for a 1000cc sportbike, that was when i was 22 years old with hardly any insurance history and two speeding tickets. I decided to go with a 750cc and i pay $55 .

really? ill give them a call!

CLiVE
04-23-2008, 11:25 AM
This issue I ran into is most places that will provide motorcycle insurance will not insure Ducatis and Harleys. Such was the case with AMA.

Fusion
04-25-2008, 11:45 AM

Trust me man They will never understand..Dont waste ur time on here to explain. Good Choice for Gixxer 1000..Its all depend on rider not bike. Wanna go around sometime PM me. I have 06 R1

600cc's
04-28-2008, 09:20 PM
Congrats man looks killer :thumbsup:

legendboy
04-28-2008, 10:53 PM

don't hate man, i have been riding bikes since you were 10, just busting your balls a bit

but in all seriousness, be meticiously safe. no sense in having permanent brain damage. Just giving you another warning you probably don't need. Its my duty as a fellow rider lol

arian_ma
04-28-2008, 11:33 PM

Man I don't understand why you are rolling your eyes and being sarcastic. People are seriously concerned and are talking out of experience for your own health and well being and you keep rolling your eyes? What are you fourteen? Maybe you should get your head out of your ass and listen to what these people who OBVIOUSLY know more about the topic than you do have to say. I don't say this often and actually mean it, but you sound like you are about to bite WAY more than you can swallow and in a year when you are re-learning how to walk you're going to wish you listened to this just like the fourteen year old wishes they listened to their parents.

Sharpie
04-28-2008, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by arian_ma

Man I don't understand why you are rolling your eyes and being sarcastic. People are seriously concerned and are talking out of experience for your own health and well being and you keep rolling your eyes? What are you fourteen? Maybe you should get your head out of your ass and listen to what these people who OBVIOUSLY know more about the topic than you do have to say. I don't say this often and actually mean it, but you sound like you are about to bite WAY more than you can swallow and in a year when you are re-learning how to walk you're going to wish you listened to this just like the fourteen year old wishes they listened to their parents.
Wow its the fucking internet. I know 3 people personally who started off with liter bikes and they are still alive. So really its the persons own choice on which bike they want to go with. I am sure he doesn't give a fuck what you guys think is too big.

But on another note, its a sick color combo...

BlkMaxima
04-29-2008, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Sharpie

Wow its the fucking internet. I know 3 people personally who started off with liter bikes and they are still alive. So really its the persons own choice on which bike they want to go with. I am sure he doesn't give a fuck what you guys think is too big.

But on another note, its a sick color combo...

Exactly. I don't give a fuck!. If somebody thinks the bike I bought for myself is too big. Telling me that it is too big for me will do absolutely nothing.I already bought the bike. Fuck sakes you guys are more concerned with the size of the bike I bought, than my girlfriend or family is. Telling me to be careful is another thing though.

This bike has mode selections that I'am currently taking FULL advantage of.

A MODE = Full 1000 CC
B MODE = AROUND A 750 CC
C MODE = AROUND A 600 CC

I have been currently riding around in C mode and will continue to ride in C mode probably for the rest of the season. Depending on how fast or slow I get comfortable with riding the bike.

Thanks to the mode selections. I will continue to believe that buying a 600CC bike would have been a COMPLETE waste of money. With this bike I don't need to go and trade in a 1 year old 600 that I would lose my shirt on. To buy a bigger bike. Now all I have to do is push a button.

I appreciate advise and knowledge, but people saying " It's too big for you!" is getting a little annoying. Save your breath or finger pushing for something else, you are wasting your time.

:drama:

Spoons
04-29-2008, 12:00 PM

Exactly. I don't give a fuck!. If somebody thinks the bike I bought for myself is too big. Telling me that it is too big for me will do absolutely nothing.I already bought the bike. Fuck sakes you guys are more concerned with the size of the bike I bought, than my girlfriend or family is. Telling me to be careful is another thing though.

This bike has mode selections that I'am currently taking FULL advantage of.

A MODE = Full 1000 CC
B MODE = AROUND A 750 CC
C MODE = AROUND A 600 CC

I have been currently riding around in C mode and will continue to ride in C mode probably for the rest of the season. Depending on how fast or slow I get comfortable with riding the bike.

Thanks to the mode selections. I will continue to believe that buying a 600CC bike would have been a COMPLETE waste of money. With this bike I don't need to go and trade in a 1 year old 600 that I would lose my shirt on. To buy a bigger bike. Now all I have to do is push a button.

I appreciate advise and knowledge, but people saying " It's too big for you!" is getting a little annoying. Save your breath or finger pushing for something else, you are wasting your time.

:drama:

:werd:
I am glad you took my advice and you are riding around on 600cc mode.

My advice, and best advice is simply put forward is just be responsible. A 1000cc bike can get you in just as much trouble as a 600cc bike, simply put forward is that the 1000cc can just get you in trouble faster. You have a lot of on hand power, but you seem responsible, and if you are, you will be fine.

Just be safe out there and keep two wheels on the ground. It's nice weather now, I hope you are enjoying the bike! :D

Second advice, stay away from Shell on 17th, or Shell's Angels. I went riding with them once. Some of those guys are not all there in the head, and it was hard as hell to keep up with them. When it reached the point where I was not comfortable, I just turned off and cruised on my own.

Personally I would never by a litre bike, simply because you really never do need 1000cc's on the street or track. My next bike I buy will probably be the 750.

BrknFngrs
04-29-2008, 12:08 PM
BlkMaxima, What rpm does your bike sit at when your going highway speeds (~110) and you're in Mode C?

BlkMaxima
04-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by BrknFngrs
BlkMaxima, What rpm does your bike sit at when your going highway speeds (~110) and you're in Mode C?

If I remember right it was between 3-4K. The mode select doesn't change the gearing at all. It changes the engine map to run less torque and HP.

legendboy
04-30-2008, 08:37 AM

A MODE = Full 1000 CC
B MODE = AROUND A 750 CC
C MODE = AROUND A 600 CC

Thats a pretty cool feature!