PDA

View Full Version : Ruth's Chris Steak House...how pricey and is it worth it??

ekguy
04-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Just got back with an ex after a few months apart and we're looking for a nice place to go eat. Not a big fan of steak but this place looks like they may be able to impress me with a nice slab of beef. Heard it's a bit fancy and a tad expensive which I don't mind but how expensive would it get for 2 people with an apatizer to share, a bottle of wine, 2 entrees and a desert and an aperitif at the end...I like to finish off with a nice glass of port...which I'm sure they would have.

Euro_Trash
04-21-2008, 11:20 AM
http://www.ruthschris.ca/

Menu in top left

bradwatson
04-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Depending on what you get, you could easily spend $150-200. I think their food is worth the money, but I guess is depends on the financial sacrifice you want to make.

Your appetizers will likely be around $20, wine can cost whatever you want to spend, entrees cost between $30 and $60. Desert will run you $15-20, and port will again cost you whatever you want to spend.

What I usually do when I go there with my girlfriend is we have a bottle of wine with dinner, and just start with our entrees. Everything is served a la carte, so you'll want to order some sides, which cost around $15 if I remember correctly. If you each get an entree then share a side (they're recommended for 2-3 people) you should be good. Then get desert after and a glass of port. Sometimes we'll start off dinner with a glass of champagne, but I guess it depends on if it's a celebration.

Anyways I hope this helps.

B

ekguy
04-21-2008, 11:35 AM
it's sorta of a celebration and if it got up to 200$ it wouldn't be the biggest deal we spent more at murietta's on new years eve and it was worth it. We just got together again after working out our issues and shit so we kind of want to celebrate and in the close to a year we were together before i think we've expired our options for most restaurants in Calgary we wanted to try we only have a few other ones we want to try in our area. We're going to the Okanagan this summer to go tour some wineries hopefully and get some good eats. But Ruth's is a place i've been hearing a lot of people rave about but also heard of people spending like 400$ so i was kind of weary....150 to 200 is one thing but 400$ for 2 people as a student is alot hahaha.

there vegetable and potato sides look delicious from looking at the menu before i posted this but the site didn't have prices which leads me to believe it's the type of place that if you have to know the price you shouldn't be eating there type thing hahaha. The wine list was quite impressive as well on the site.

Euro_Trash
04-21-2008, 11:39 AM
They do have prices on the website

Schwa
04-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Ask 89coupe, our resident baller.

Make sure you're spending over $90 before drinks though.

ekguy
04-21-2008, 01:02 PM
ok don't need this thread to turn to shit cuz of that idiot. Keep it clean please. And I was looking at the American website apparantly and after looking at the canadian one i realize the prices are a bit high but I'll manage. It looks amazing there.

For those who have went what are the portions like??? I like my food don't get me wrong but lately I have been unable to do appetizer, entre, sides and desert by myself. I've had to share with whoever was with me lately since my appetite seems to have taken a dive for some reason.

If the portions are big I may not even be able to do desert which me and the gf usually forgo anyways.

QuasarCav
04-21-2008, 01:20 PM
A co-worker of mine went there for a dinner with his wife. He said the portions are huge and no one left hungry but the price you pay makes it not worth it.

He was saying it was around 300 for 2 people when all said and done. I hear 89Coupe spends that at Mcdonalds...

rmk
04-21-2008, 01:24 PM
I enjoyed there.

ekguy
04-21-2008, 01:50 PM
well i dunno i looked at it and it's very feasable to do it for about 230ish with a decent tip if you don't do desert and maybe for once we forgo the whole bottle of wine since they seem to have quite the wine by the glass selection. And if I forget about desert and port then I should be fine haha. looking at the site the steaks look like they could be quite filling haha.

me&you
04-21-2008, 02:02 PM
The atmosphere is nice, but the food is crap. Most of the beef (all but one cut?) is corn-fed USDA AAA, which is OK, but honestly tastes a little funny when you're used to AB Beef. Portions are large and sides/appitizers are large enough to share. It's a nice place to go once for sheer novelty, but I wouldn't rush back, especially when there are so many better steak houses in town.

98type_r
04-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Portions are a good size, but I wouldn't say it's worth it. I went to the one in Edmonton when I was up there on business. Spent ~$90 on my meal. Side caesar, Lamb and a side of mushrooms, 2 bottle of stella. I wasn't stuffed, but I was satisfied. I have had better meals for less $.
FYI: The plates for your entrees/sides come out super hot and your food is sizzling in a pool of butter.

ekguy
04-21-2008, 02:38 PM
well to be honnest with you guys like I said up there I'm not the biggest fan of red meat so steak is not something I know very well so I will probably enjoy it since I am in no way used to alberta beef. I am from NB and am a lobster guy not a steak guy. But when in Rome do as the romans do and since Alberta seems to be big on steak I figured i'd give it a try hehe. not saying I don't enjoy a nice fat steak on a nice summer day off the bbq but it's like a 6 or 7 times a year thing and by no means something i eat often. So I figured me and the gf could go somewhere to try and enjoy a good quality steak. If you guys have different suggestions for a decently priced steak house that's got decent prices feel free to let me know.

ralliart_girl
04-21-2008, 02:48 PM
Well, i found it pricey too. But if you are looking for a place to kindle your love;), I really liked the ambience there.

syeve
04-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I enjoyed myself. Not super snobby, I wore nice jeans and a shirt. Waiter was really good. Overall a great experience. My date and I busted the 200 mark though. Wine and apps can get $$$. My steak alone was 55ish (it was FANTASIC). :thumbsup:

DJ_NAV
04-21-2008, 03:20 PM
i would recommend ceaser's on 4th ave anyday over ruth chris. cheaper and better food

Ajay
04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
I went to the one in Toronto when I was there for work.

I'm not a huge fan. They bring the steaks out to you on piping hot plates. I ordered mine medium and by the time I was done most of it was cooked through cause of the hot ass plate.

I understand the idea of serving hot food on warm plates but hot food on super hot plates?! Wasn't a fan.

max_boost
04-21-2008, 05:59 PM
I have a buddy that works at Ruth's Chris and he says it's a bit over-rated. Food is good but pricing is higher than other restaurants. Service is hit and miss depending which server you get. When you pay that much, service should be close to perfect every time.

An example on pricing, filet mignon + lobster tail is $100 at Ruth's and $65 at Caesar's. I've been going to Caesar's for the past 3 years, good every single time.

98type_r
04-21-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I have a buddy that works at Ruth's Chris and he says it's a bit over-rated. Food is good but pricing is higher than other restaurants. Service is hit and miss depending which server you get. When you pay that much, service should be close to perfect every time.

An example on pricing, filet mignon + lobster tail is $100 at Ruth's and $65 at Caesar's. I've been going to Caesar's for the past 3 years, good every single time.

:werd:

I expected more from Ruth's considering the premium you pay for the place. Overalls I would have to say that Caesar's is a much better choice.

JRSC00LUDE
04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
I still don't understand the concept of paying premium prices for U.S. beef. It's NOT better than Canadian. :dunno:

Isaiah
04-21-2008, 08:21 PM
But their cows are happy.

GTS Jeff
04-22-2008, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by ekguy
well to be honnest with you guys like I said up there I'm not the biggest fan of red meat so steak is not something I know very well so I will probably enjoy it since I am in no way used to alberta beef. I am from NB and am a lobster guy not a steak guy. But when in Rome do as the romans do and since Alberta seems to be big on steak I figured i'd give it a try hehe. not saying I don't enjoy a nice fat steak on a nice summer day off the bbq but it's like a 6 or 7 times a year thing and by no means something i eat often. So I figured me and the gf could go somewhere to try and enjoy a good quality steak. If you guys have different suggestions for a decently priced steak house that's got decent prices feel free to let me know.

Ruth Chris' served imported USDA beef. I think that's a terrible idea considering how good local Alberta beef is. There's something to be said for enjoying local cuisine. You don't go to Thailand to eat Italian food right?

Somewhere like the Keg is much cheaper and the beef will be better.

ekguy
04-22-2008, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

Ruth Chris' served imported USDA beef. I think that's a terrible idea considering how good local Alberta beef is. There's something to be said for enjoying local cuisine. You don't go to Thailand to eat Italian food right?

Somewhere like the Keg is much cheaper and the beef will be better.

thats a good idea actually we haven't been to the Keg together yet. Which one is the nicest in Calgary???

JRSC00LUDE
04-22-2008, 01:59 PM
^

Also, unless things have changed in the last couple years the Keg actually uses Alberta beef unlike a lot of your higher-end/more expensive steakhouses there. A lot of them use aussie/new zealand beef to save money. From what I know, as long as it's trimmed and cut in Alberta it can technically be labelled as Alberta Beef even if it wasn't raised there.

Redlyne_mr2
04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
It turned a friend of mine off of steak forever so I'll take and guess and say that it isn't very good.

gran turismo
04-22-2008, 02:47 PM
The steaks are baked and coated with butter. Well, in fact, almost everything is coated in butter. Not a fan. I would look elsewhere if I were going out for a higher end dinner.

pinoyhero
04-22-2008, 03:56 PM
I hated it. As noted the steaks are US and broiled in butter rather than grilled, I an see a "fat cat" loving that idea but not most from around here. If you're looking to spend a lot and impress, although the atmosphere and service is great, Ruth's isn't on my list. My top right now is Il Sogno but I've heard great things about Capo.

ekguy
04-22-2008, 05:17 PM
The point is not to spend alot and impress. We are splitting the costs anyways. I usually pay but we decided we wanted to split and go somewhere a bit more expensive to try something new. But the price is not the emphasis here. The NEW is what I want to emphasize. We love italian but we've done it too much. Now we've been to no steak houses at all out here yet whatsoever. So we want to give it a try and start with something higher end for steak since she's not a fan of red meat at all they have to be able to offer some great alternatives as well.

Neil4Speed
04-22-2008, 09:57 PM
Not 100% related to Chris Ruths, I have heard good things about it.

But, the best place that would recomend is Muse in Kensington, go earlier in the day and tell them what your plan is and they will go above and beyond, great staff at that place its a FANTASTIC place to for a important date.

nbaker00
04-22-2008, 10:20 PM
I haven't eaten @ RC in Canada, but have in the USA. It is one of the best steak house's I've been to. It's expensive, but I've seen alot pricier..
From what I've heard from people it sucks in Canada vs the US...
I guess I'll find out at our staff dinner in a few weeks.

ekguy
04-23-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Not 100% related to Chris Ruths, I have heard good things about it.

But, the best place that would recomend is Muse in Kensington, go earlier in the day and tell them what your plan is and they will go above and beyond, great staff at that place its a FANTASTIC place to for a important date.

might give that a try.

ekguy
04-23-2008, 12:03 PM
What about Saltlik?? The menu looks decent but there is no prices but I'm sure it's not the same pricing as Ruth's though....Any input on this?? I'm sure people have been there on here. We talked about it last night and we're going to want to spend 150$ to 200$. It's a decent budget I suppose for a couple appies and a bit of wine and food hehe. I'm just craving a friggin steak though dunno why I usually crave cannelloni or seafood lasagna....Never steak hahaha. Guess I'm turning into an Albertan haha.

rmk
04-23-2008, 12:06 PM
Saltlik is cheaper than Ruth. I'd recommend SL too.

sputnik
04-23-2008, 12:09 PM
I would actually choose Vintage Chophouse.

http://www.vintagechophouse.com/

It has a modern yet elegant decor and the atmosphere isn't stuffy and pretentious. They even have live jazz on the weekends. Make for a relaxed feel without being over casual.

The menu is decently priced and the food I have had there has been quite good. The menu is varied in selection without being too big and has more than just the standard "meat and potatoes".

ekguy
04-23-2008, 12:17 PM
thanks guys gonna probably do saltlik and if that doesn't go gonna try vintage. Heard Vintage has killer Sweet potato fries hahaha yummmmmmm

canuckcarguy
04-28-2008, 02:05 PM
I'd pass on RC just because of the beef. I think they use US beef so that they have a consistent product throughout North America, but corn-fed just doesn't taste as good, in my opinion. Portions are grotesquely large, I thought, but the ambience was decent.

ekguy
04-29-2008, 06:06 AM
i will definitely pass on this...me and my gf like to enjoy our food without leaving anything on the plate as it seems rude and kinda wastefull...sickengly large portions will not fly with me. We've already decided on and will be getting reservations at Saltlik. Prices are probably going to be a bit high but we're going to wait a bit and go and celebrate getting back together at the same time as our bdays in june since we both be june babies. Thanks for all the suggestions and advice guys....Even it's just about food I like to try new things and food is one of the only things I can afford...Can't afford cars, or expensive clothes or any of that baller shit but food is within my small student budget hehehe. And thank god for tax refunds hahahaha.

If any other steakhouses pop into your heads I wouldn't mind seeing them posted here as we may try other steakhouses in the meantime if I can find a decently affordable steak. I'm really sick of eating lobster need to switch it up a bit...

Mckenzie
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
I went to the Ruths Chris in Arizona and it was by far the best steak I've ever had. Thanks to my manager, we spent $365 for 2 people :eek: :eek: :eek:

That being said, I would never spend that kind of money again on a steak unless a company was paying for it...very pricey place but worth it in my opinion. It seems like the place in Calgary for all of the rich oil and gas ballers who turn on the tap and money comes out. :drama:

flipstah
02-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Well the parentals have been looking for a new place to eat tonight and initially, I had RC in mind but after reading this, I might opt out for Caesar's.

Price-wise, can somebody give me a range for Caesar's vs. RC?

Are there better steakhouses in Calgary? Now my parents have the weirdest selection going on but to give you an idea...

- They like The Keg
- They didn't enjoy Bolero (according to them, they didn't get enough for the price they paid for and didn't get great service)
- They didn't like Smuggler's Inn (too dark.)

:nut:

Hmkay, I've never had an awkward reservation call until I called Caesar's a couple minutes ago:

Her: "Caesar's."
Me: "Hi there, I was wondering if I may be able to make a reservation for tonight please?"
Her: "Sure."
*Silence for 2 seconds.*
Me: "... For 4 people?"
Her: "Yup."
*Silence for 2 seconds.*
Me: "... For 6:30?"
Her: "Name?"
Me: "Don."
Her: "See you then." *click*
Me: "... WTF."

egmilano
02-15-2010, 01:41 PM
I went last night, the ribeye was perfect, med-rare (red wine inside).
They are known basically well globally for being exclusive to the us prime.
I love it.. restaurant wise it was the best steak ive had while dining. the sauteed mushrooms were mouth watering !
I was expecting to pay much more but the bill was only 163.00,
because of the valentines day set menu. The food period is awesome.
The malbec was great with my steak....
Its very pricey but well worth it ... its fine dining ... If you want delicious great quality food you gotta pay ...

egmilano
02-15-2010, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
I hated it. As noted the steaks are US and broiled in butter rather than grilled, I an see a "fat cat" loving that idea but not most from around here. If you're looking to spend a lot and impress, although the atmosphere and service is great, Ruth's isn't on my list. My top right now is Il Sogno but I've heard great things about Capo.

Sorry but you've got it wrong, thier just plated onto the butter .

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 01:45 PM
flipstah:

Don't be too put off by that (not good though, I know).

Had a great meal at Ceasars not so long ago - highly recommend it, the steaks were excellent (except for the ceasar salad - that was limp and soggy on that occasion)

egmilano
02-15-2010, 01:46 PM
and their broiled only in salt and pepper ..

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 01:48 PM
On the subject of steak houses - I'm wondering if Hy's are ever gonna re-open. That place is highly rated by my OH, though I've never been myself.

flipstah
02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Wrinkly
flipstah:

Don't be too put off by that (not good though, I know).

Had a great meal at Ceasars not so long ago - highly recommend it, the steaks were excellent (except for the ceasar salad - that was limp and soggy on that occasion)

Hmm how much was the price range if you don't mind me asking?

And hopefully, it'll be a good experience because right now, I'm a bit on-the-fence by Caesar's because of that one phone call.

Weapon_R
02-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

And hopefully, it'll be a good experience because right now, I'm a bit on-the-fence by Caesar's because of that one phone call.

Around $50-75pp

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 02:09 PM

Think I dropped around $400 for a party of five (three courses, drinks, wine and tip).

rage2
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
I frequent Ruth's once or twice a week. I've converted a lot of Albertans to USDA Prime steaks thanks to them. The first few times I went there I ordered from their Alberta menu, and it was alright, was good but not blown away. Tried the USDA Filet on my 3rd visit, and that's all it took to unbrainwash years of "Alberta beef is the best in the world" mentality.

The USDA steaks are a little more tender, much higher fat content, and have a slightly sweeter taste because they're cornfed.

Some of the people I go with don't like the butter, and you can order it without.

By far the best steaks in Calgary, and I've tried 'em all.

flipstah
02-15-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R

Around $50-75pp

Think I dropped around $400 for a party of five (three courses, drinks, wine and tip).

Wow, that's baller money. Too expensive for my family; maybe if I was going to impress someone then Caesar's but other than that, maybe next time perhaps.

Thanks for the help! :thumbsup:

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 02:26 PM
[i]By far the best steaks in Calgary, and I've tried 'em all. [/B]

I knew you liked this place so wondered how long til posted.

But "best steaks"? Surely rage - that's subjective, no?

Having said that - I've been wanting to try Ruth's since I read the other recent thread where you were raving about them, then I read this one and it put me off - but dammit, now I have to go and find out for myself. :nut:

flipstah
02-15-2010, 02:31 PM

Having said that - I've been wanting to try Ruth's since I read the other recent thread where you were raving about them, then I read this one and it put me off - but dammit, now I have to go and find out for myself. :nut:

... And I will be waiting for your take on it. You're the tie-breaker for me haha :thumbsup:

rage2
02-15-2010, 02:49 PM

Very subjective. Although, I AM a steak whore, so I'd like to believe I know whats going on! :rofl:

I've tried almost every steakhouse in Calgary for years trying to find the best steaks in town that could match Gotham's in Vancouver (one of my top Steak experiences BTW). I didn't even know about Ruth's Chris until a co-worker told me to check it out when I was bitching about the lack of good steaks in Calgary over lunch.

Even then, my first few visits I only ordered Alberta steaks and it still didn't do it for me, was kinda disappointed. The USDA just blew me away, and I haven't looked back.

Re-reading this thread, I still see comments on the fact that we believe our beef is the best in the world. To be fair, I used to think the same thing. Looking outside Alberta for reviews, you rarely see others mention Alberta when it comes to top beef and steaks. The Alberta Beef industry has done an excellent job with their marketing here that's for sure!

So, if you do give it a try, make sure you get a USDA cut. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of time and $.

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 04:26 PM

... And I will be waiting for your take on it. You're the tie-breaker for me haha :thumbsup:

Will try to get there in the next couple weeks, and will be sure to post a review after - watch this space!

Originally posted by rage2

So, if you do give it a try, make sure you get a USDA cut. Otherwise, it'd be a waste of time and $.

You're on - I will make sure of that (even though it flies in the face of my principles ;)).

I love steak too, but you're probably way ahead of me on quantity being the self confessed "beyond steak whore" (that should go under your user name). I have eaten steak in a few places, as well as here and the US and I have to say that the Alberta beef is pretty up there in my estimation, so it will be interesting.

rage2
02-15-2010, 04:48 PM
You're on - I will make sure of that (even though it flies in the face of my principles ;)).
haha let me know how it goes. Remember, at Ruth's the plates are like 500 degrees or something, so order 1 step rarer than you usually do, as it cooks a little bit on the plate, otherwise you might find it a little overdone by your last bite.

I have eaten steak in a few places, as well as here and the US and I have to say that the Alberta beef is pretty up there in my estimation, so it will be interesting.
You wanna get REALLY blown away, try a Kobe steak next time you're travelling. That shit is so tender you can chew it with your tongue! :rofl:

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any place in Calgary that imports authentic Japanese Kobe. Vancouver's the closest you'll find it.

Alberta AAA steaks are pretty good, but definately not the best in the world, not by a long shot.

Wrinkly
02-15-2010, 04:54 PM
hmmm - wonder if the Kobe my OH had last year here was genuine - should've asked, they charged about $40 per ounce.

rage2
02-15-2010, 05:11 PM
$40/ounce sounds like Kobe prices.

I haven't tried it yet, but when I was at Tojo's in Vancouver, they had Matsuzaka there, and claim it's even better than Kobe. I did some research on it, and it's not as well known as Kobe, but the people that have tried it agreed that it's a step up. Will be checking that out next time I'm in Vancouver.

I keep hearing Argentinian steaks are amazing too. No clue where I can try that other than Argentinia.

Red@8
02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
rage2 you have me curious about the USDA at RC in Cgy. I have been in the US for 3 years now (mid west/east) and cant find a steak anywhere to compare to our good ol Alberta beef. I was at a RC recently in TBay, Fl and was not impressed at all. That was my second RC experience, the first was in T.O. I had essentially written off RC at this point but I may try out the one in Cgy as a final attempt at RC and USDA meat.

I did recently enjoy my first real Kobe beef at Nobu in Nyc. That was quite good.

legendboy
02-15-2010, 06:26 PM
the usda filet is the best steak I have ever had, hands down

love that place :love:

Disoblige
02-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Is it just me or is Ruth Chris steaks damn hard to cut or are they just not sharp enough knives?

It was a "meh" experience for me.
I enjoyed the Creme Brulee though.

jaysas_63
02-15-2010, 08:38 PM
took a chick out to dinner here when it first opened up in Edmonton

-was disappointed to get a bill over 200 for two without alcohol (she didn't drink)

-was disappointed to have my steak cooked to shit, when i ordered it rare (im sure the hot plate it was served on only exacerbated this)

-the service was absolutely flawless

it was my first and last time there, nothing pisses me off more than an overcooked steak! hahaha

rage2
02-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I order blue rare and it's perfect everytime. There was one night when I thought it was overcooked but it was just the edge because of the shape of the steak. They're very consistent here in Calgary.

boarderfatty
02-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Up in Edmonton here I think Ruth's Chris I good but by no means the best. I enjoy the steak at Characters, though steak is not their forte. I enjoyed Hy's while it was around, One of my favorites as of recently has been at Sage in the River Cree Casino where they served Kobe Beef, but I think with the new head chef change, they are no longer serving Kobe. When I am looking to spend 70-90 on a single entree I tend to goto LaRonde and the Crowne Plaza Chateau Lacombe where I will have their Chateaubriand where it is 16oz's of Steak that is carved and Flambeed at your table. You get a quality piece of meat, an atmosphere, and by far the best service imo. I can't say that I have had the staff at Ruth's Flambe my steak for me.

But this is my feelings towards Steaks in Edmonton, I thought the Ruth's in Calgary was a little better than the Ruth's in Edmonton, but I am not very familiar with the Calgary Steak Scene

eb0i
02-16-2010, 12:07 PM
I love eating at Ruth Chris'. However I am hung up on which is better...USDA or Alberta Beef....

Wrinkly
04-17-2010, 10:09 PM
OK - finally went to Ruth's last night.

Interesting experience - it was a Friday night and it seemed pretty dead, which surprised me. Lots of empty tables. :dunno:

Really great atmosphere/decor etc.

Service was very friendly and very good. Although maybe a little too much attention at times, because our server was in training so her supervisor seemed to be 'doubling up'.

As for the food, it was good and certainly no complaints, but I'm not convinced it's commensurate with the pricing. No-one ordered an appetizer as we weren't hungry enough.

Now - the steak debate! I promised rage I'd order a USDA cut to compare it to Canadian. Like eb0i ^^ it's very close and I had a hard time deciding. I ordered the USDA Fillet, and another in my party ordered the Canadian prime fillet, so we could share a few bites to compare.

I ordered the way I always order - medium (decided not to drop it down a step as advised, just to see what how it would arrive). It turned out to be a perfect "medium" steak and I didn't find the amount of butter that great, as some have suggested - and it was delicious.

The Canadian steak was also cooked to medium and I think I have to say that it wins the contest for me. Both were good, but the Canadian definitely had more flavour. I do agree with rage on one thing though - probably the best steak I've had so far and I would definitely go back for that reason. Having said that, I'm not sure the difference was great enough to justify the higher price though - a tough one.

There were only three in the party and no appetisers, little alcohol (I had none as I was driving) and ordered a bottle of Pelegrino to share. Another had a couple of orange juices and the third had three cocktails.

Steak was about $50 per plate and the Chicken (good size was $35) sides were extra at $8.00 each (we had Mashed potatoes and asparagus - large though, so we shared one of each between us all, but if you're big eaters or really hungry, you'd need more)

We all had dessert (2x chocolate cake - which was highly rated and one Creme Brulee for me - good, but not the 'best ever') No coffee or liquers and a $250 bill before tip. So with tip included and bearing in mind that we didn't have a first course and little alcohol, expect to pay over $100 per person as a good guide.

So - mixed feelings overall, great steak, but not SOOO great that I'd choose Ruth's over, say, the River Cafe - because pricing is similar I think, but at the River I've always been blown away by the entire meal start to finish. I would go back though. Great place with great service and certainly worth it for a special occasion.

rage2
04-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Ruth's has been out of Ahi Tuna for a few weeks now. By far the best appetizer.

As for the great USDA vs Alberta steak debate, I've converted about 7 people to USDA at Ruths vs just 1 that prefers the Alberta steaks between my friends.

Wrinkly
04-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Interesting isn't it? I wonder what 'unknowns' are at work here.... gender, blood group, star sign?....

:rofl:

It definitely helped me having both at the table and being able to compare them side by side. I'm not so sure how it would have gone if I didn't have that luxury.

I should also note that I haven't (to my knowledge) tasted Canadian "prime" before either. Though I would imagine quite likely at places like The River, and Teattro's.

egmilano
04-18-2010, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Ruth's has been out of Ahi Tuna for a few weeks now. By far the best appetizer.

As for the great USDA vs Alberta steak debate, I've converted about 7 people to USDA at Ruths vs just 1 that prefers the Alberta steaks between my friends.

Dont forget the tomato mozza, mozza comes onces a month from italy.

Ben
04-18-2010, 04:03 AM
Been twice, first time was with rage2 & Crew and it was superb! Good enough I went back again shortly after.

I was VERY happy with the quality of steak, Easily top 3 I've EVER had, and one of those top 3 was one I made for myself from a cut I got from a great butcher south of town.

Whether USDA is better than AAA, I dunno, but DAMN fine cow either way at RC!!

HRD2PLZ
04-18-2010, 01:32 PM
I also much prefer USDA beef over any Alberta beef I've ever had. I'm not a huge beef lover, so I'm by far no connoisseur.

signature7
04-30-2010, 12:58 AM
I've never had USDA ever, so I'm taking the plunge this evening. What's the dress code actually like? Are nice jeans ok, or do they say that and only smucks like me end up wearing it?

Oh, and I hope they have Ahi Tuna today, I've never had it, but it looks tasty.

in*10*se
04-30-2010, 01:25 AM
meh, eaten there lots... steaks there are way over rated. good lobster bisque and cheesecake... thats about it
imo.

rage2
04-30-2010, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by signature7
I've never had USDA ever, so I'm taking the plunge this evening. What's the dress code actually like? Are nice jeans ok, or do they say that and only smucks like me end up wearing it?

Oh, and I hope they have Ahi Tuna today, I've never had it, but it looks tasty.
You'll feel out of place not dressing up in the dining room. I personally don't give a fuck and walk in there in shorts and a Maiden T-Shirt all the time. :rofl:

I'm mostly in the lounge, and might be there tonight.

ricosuave
04-30-2010, 07:43 AM
I personally stay away from restaurants with such fucked names.

The_Rural_Juror
04-30-2010, 08:08 AM
I will probably be there tonight too. Looking forward to the Ahi.

rage2
04-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Beyond meet at Ruth's! :rofl:

signature7
04-30-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm going be there later in the evening, 8:30ish. Save me some Tuna Rage lol, I'll spot you in the shorts and tee!