PDA

View Full Version : when snowboarding started...

calgarygts
04-21-2008, 01:40 PM
http://archives.cbc.ca/sports/exploits/topics/1727-11917/

I love the moustache patrol, just hates boarders.

JRSC00LUDE
04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
Great video, I love how absurd it is haha! That really took me back, I remember those days back in 1990 when I gave up skis for good. I'd love to hear about this "fad" from those moron detractors in that video now. If it wasn't for snowboarders, how happy would the shareholders of most of the major skihills have been in the last 15 years? Absolutely huge portion of their bottom lines would have been missing.... :nut:

asp integra
04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
baaahahahahah thats gold! darn holigans! hahahahahah

Redlyne_mr2
04-22-2008, 06:03 PM
The new revival of skiing is because of snowboarding.. boarding has sort of lost popularity and is becoming a little bit more underground again.

Canmorite
04-22-2008, 06:09 PM
Revival? When did it die? :rofl:

EDIT: For the record, a lot of them were 'hooligans' with bad attitudes. They were constantly kicked off the hill for being idiots.

Only when everyone smartened up (and when hills realized it would be profitable if they allowed boarders) they all came to their senses.

I still think snowboarding has a bit of 'bad-ass' image to it...

Redlyne_mr2
04-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by Canmorite
Revival? When did it die? :rofl:
If you went to the hills in the early to mid 90s all the young kids were on boards, nobody in their teens skied. Skiing was viewed as a lame ass sport that your parents were into. In the late 90s skiers began to copy the style of boarders, this trend was called new school skiing and many of the tricks originally developed by boarders were soon practiced by skiers. Shortly thereafter twin tipped skis were developed and sold. The 1/4 pipe was originally designed for boarding but at the x games skiers commonly go bigger and do crazy tricks than the boarders do, same goes for the terrain park.

eb0i
04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
That's awesome. Love how the people they are filming have no control over their boards. Personally I find people who ski a lot more rude when I am up on the hill. I had a guy cut right across my board off a chair lift...not at the tip...just in front of my front foot. :eek:

Canmorite
04-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

If you went to the hills in the early to mid 90s all the young kids were on boards, nobody in their teens skied. Skiing was viewed as a lame ass sport that your parents were into. In the late 90s skiers began to copy the style of boarders, this trend was called new school skiing and many of the tricks originally developed by boarders were soon practiced by skiers. Shortly thereafter twin tipped skis were developed and sold. The 1/4 pipe was originally designed for boarding but at the x games skiers commonly go bigger and do crazy tricks than the boarders do, same goes for the terrain park.

Ah ya I see what you mean. Now skiing is almost equally as cool as snowboarding. Almost.

I don't think skiers directly copied snowboarders, because the 'god father' of new school skiing (Mike Douglas) was an ariels competitor before he started going into freestyle and doing off axis spins opposed to ariel ones (See: D-Spin).

braden883314
04-22-2008, 07:59 PM
That clip was used in Forum's team video, That! Its a bit chopped up from the original, I thought it made produced by them, I was surprised to see it was real.