PDA

View Full Version : Negotiate a lease price???

The Cosworth
04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I want to buy out the remainder of my car. I was told I can negotiate the price that I have to pay.

Couple questions.

1.) Is this possible?

2.) Can you really do that with someone over the phone and if so how do you do it?

To me they have no reason to give me a deal, because i already own the car.

TYIA

Brendan

Fuji
04-21-2008, 04:43 PM
i dont think you can deal on the remainder, simply because you agreed to the residual buyout price already in the intial contract.

gpomp
04-21-2008, 04:57 PM
the residual is a set percentage. but you can still negotiate the price of the vehicle.

gpomp
04-21-2008, 05:00 PM
oh wait, you already bought the car. in that case, no.

The Cosworth
04-21-2008, 05:29 PM
yeah I have leased the car for a year and I am going to buy it out. I have a few years left in my lease but am makng A LOT more money so I want to own the thing.

I was told (on the interwebz no doubt) that you could do it, last time I believe the interwebz... haha

Whatever I am not in a BAD position, but more cash in my pocket would have been nice.

Oh well....

thanks guys

QuasarCav
04-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Try to get rid of the thing with a good cash bonus. I would be inclined to pick up someones lease if they threw in 2K.

max_boost
04-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Non negotiable. Find out your buyout and hand them a check if you want to own the car.

The Cosworth
04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
Try to get rid of the thing with a good cash bonus. I would be inclined to pick up someones lease if they threw in 2K.

im not getting rid of it

I know I will be loosing a bit more money, but with the plans I have for the car over the next year/two I want to OWN it.

Just a peace of mind thing, i would rather not be putting a BORROWED car on the line

plus then that way it opens up some credit for another car... haha

Originally posted by max_boost
Non negotiable. Find out your buyout and hand them a check if you want to own the car.

thanks!

adamc
04-21-2008, 07:08 PM
keep leasing and make sure you write off everything related to operating the vehicle (if you can with your current job).

If you can't, register a shell company and do the above.

The Cosworth
04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
^^ cant and cant

already looked into it.

Xtrema
04-21-2008, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by adamc
If you can't, register a shell company and do the above.

No respectable accountant will take the risk for you doing the book.

It only work if the company has income and the car isn't your ONLY car.

Back to OP.

Unless the lease has a really high rate, just keep leasing and see what the buy out is vs market value at the end of the lease. I'm seeing a trend where used car is going through a huge adjustment in price. Most used cars worth less and less. You may have more bargaining power then.

Also while new prices are staying firm with all the rebate and stuff, I have seen residual is going down on most vehicles month after month. The dealer knows the can't keep the residual high unless they want to deal with crap load of returns.