PDA

View Full Version : Summer tire conditions

likwid
04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Hey guys,

I am looking to come up to Calgary from Lethbridge on thursday and was wondering if the road conditions are ok to do so. I will be getting 18" rims with performance tires, so obviously snow/ice will give me low traction. Thoughts?

carsoncars
04-22-2008, 12:34 PM
i think by thursday they should be but right now i wouldnt chance it

eglove
04-22-2008, 12:36 PM
thursday might be ok, right now you won't be moving lol. my car is stuck out on the street w/ summers on

QuasarCav
04-22-2008, 12:53 PM
I running winters on the front and summers on the rear. My drive to work is an exercise in vehicle dynamics.

You can get away with summers if the road is just wet but if you hit a patch of ice you will have zero traction.

Eleanor
04-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by QuasarCav
I running winters on the front and summers on the rear. My drive to work is an exercise in vehicle dynamics.

:eek: I bet it is :eek:

Destinova403
04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
my drive to school yesterday was interesting... most of the main roads were fairly clear but you gotta take it slow and keep a close eye on the road.

the side roads were another story... i had zero traction so i had to take it really slow and basically constantly cover the break.

makes for an adventure... :thumbsup:

ricescream
04-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by eglove
thursday might be ok, right now you won't be moving lol. my car is stuck out on the street w/ summers on

Supa Dexta
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM

I was doing that the past few days and then put the rears on before I hit the highway today.. It's crazy how little traction summers have.. Mine are getting pretty low though too.. Sposed' to keep snowing until friday up here (edm), if it's the same down there you don't have a chance in hell.. Cars are being blown off the highway here right now. I seen at least 8 in the ditch in the 20kms of highway I was on.

The thing with summers even if they have nice tread, the rubber turns hard as shit, and is useless.

whiskas
04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
If you have to mix tires then at least put winters in the back. It's better to understeer into a curb than oversteer into oncoming traffic.

Supa Dexta
04-22-2008, 03:08 PM
No way. You'd never even be able to take off if I had my summers on the front. At least this way I can watch my speed and prevent that. I'm almost getting stuck in some of the drifts around town, with my winters on.

teggypimp95
04-22-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by whiskas
If you have to mix tires then at least put winters in the back. It's better to understeer into a curb than oversteer into oncoming traffic.

LOL you might want to re think that.

CivicDXR
04-22-2008, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by teggypimp95

LOL you might want to re think that.

nope, whiskas is right, IMO its easier to keep the front straight because of the motors weight, than it is to swing out the rear...

more than one article on the net says that you should get winters on all four corners, but to always put the tires with the better grip in the rear regardless of if its RWD, FWD, or AWD.

here a couple:
http://www.torontosun.com/SpecialSections/WinterCarCare/2006/11/01/2197775.html

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/at_071212.htm

benyl
04-22-2008, 04:26 PM
If you have to mix tires then at least put winters in the back. It's better to understeer into a curb than oversteer into oncoming traffic. :werd: This is correct.

Supa Dexta
04-22-2008, 04:30 PM
No it isn't... maybe for that specific reason, but if you can't move your car you don't have to worry about throwing out the rear end do you. There is no way in hell my car would even move if I had my summers on the front, theres 6-8 inches on all the streets here, the car is scraping it's belly the entire time.

so on the rears as a general rule for people who can't drive for shit, and shouldn't drive if they can't control their car, so therefore they wouldn't be able to get their car moving to have any problems if they had the good tires on the rear.

teggypimp95
04-22-2008, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

nope, whiskas is right, its easier to keep the front straight than it is to swing out the rear...

more than one article on the net says that you should get winters on all four corners, but to always put the tires with the better grip in the rear regardless of if its RWD, FWD, or AWD.

here a couple:
http://www.torontosun.com/SpecialSections/WinterCarCare/2006/11/01/2197775.html

http://www.canadiandriver.com/winter/at_071212.htm

This may be true but i have a hard time believing it. I had a civic with 2 good tires on the front and bald on the back.

I would of gotten no where if it was the other way around.

With 2 good tires on the front, you are able to stop better, grip better, and i believe corner better. If the tail steps out a bit, you have 2 grippy tires on the front to counter steer and correct.

If i had crap tires on the front, how would I stop in a stright line? how would i go around an icey corner with out the front sliding out. And if it does slide out, i have no grip to correct it.

I may be wrong, but it just seems like commen sence to me to put the best tires on the front where the steering is done, and most of the breaking (and alot of cars that are fwd)

bobby_lu
04-22-2008, 04:35 PM
there are tons of road tests and examples, like the ones posted above that prove that you are much better off with just the rears, if you have to choose.

whats "comment sence":dunno:

teggypimp95
04-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Could be true im not saying its not. Just can see both ways i guess.

benyl
04-22-2008, 04:39 PM
It is the same reason that all cars come with mild to major understeer from the factory. It is safer for EVERYONE, not just the passengers in the car.

Want a perfect example of why oversteer is bad:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192927/thanks-to-my-brother-rip-e55/

The majority of drivers panic and hit the brakes. Most people don't know how to counter steer or do it way too late.

Euro_Trash
04-22-2008, 04:43 PM
IMO you shouldn't be driving in the winter unless you pony up and buy 4 winter tires

GTS Jeff
04-22-2008, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by benyl
It is the same reason that all cars come with mild to major understeer from the factory. It is safer for EVERYONE, not just the passengers in the car.

Want a perfect example of why oversteer is bad:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/192927/thanks-to-my-brother-rip-e55/

The majority of drivers panic and hit the brakes. Most people don't know how to counter steer or do it way too late. Right, but even though understeer is safer for most people, a more neutral setup allows for higher levels of grip. So if you don't totally suck at driving, it's better to have winter tires on the wheels that are responsible for turning the car. The tail can be dragged along for the ride.

I used to drive with winters on the front and all-seasons on the rear...on a RWD car. Yeah the tail was all over the place, but at least I could turn.

QuasarCav
04-22-2008, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash
IMO you shouldn't be driving in the winter unless you pony up and buy 4 winter tires

It's spring! During the winter season I have all 4 but I really just put the two on to make it out of the driveway.

It makes my Integra feel special.

Euro_Trash
04-22-2008, 05:02 PM

It's spring!

I dunno about that quite yet!! :D

CivicDXR
04-22-2008, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by Euro_Trash

:werd: Make if safe for everyone, or don't drive at all. I love hearing all the people that say they are safe with their all-seasons. I LOL.

EK 2.0
04-22-2008, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

:werd: Make if safe for everyone, or don't drive at all. I love hearing all the people that say they are safe with their all-seasons. I LOL.

I'm safe with my Azenis...;)

likwid
04-23-2008, 09:58 AM
How are the roads in Calgary today? Still pondering whether I should come up tomorrow or not.

Euro_Trash
04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Roads are looking fairly good now, you should have no problems

SNAATCH
04-23-2008, 10:02 AM
Roads are pretty clear, prob only snow in the residential side streets. Most main roads seem to be clear.

likwid
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Sounds good, any ideas on the highways? Does it look like it may snow? Sorry about the questions, its just my first set of real performance tires and I want to be sure I wont have any problems.

Eleanor
04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
No it isn't... maybe for that specific reason, but if you can't move your car you don't have to worry about throwing out the rear end do you. There is no way in hell my car would even move if I had my summers on the front, theres 6-8 inches on all the streets here, the car is scraping it's belly the entire time.

If you can't get your car moving at all, you shouldn't be driving like that in the first place.

Eleanor
04-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by EK 2.0

I'm safe with my Azenis...;)

Yeah my buddy already put on his RE-01Rs, stupid Vancouverites :rofl:

Eleanor
04-23-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
So if you don't totally suck at driving

That's a mighty big assumption for most of the drivers I see.

Supa Dexta
04-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor

If you can't get your car moving at all, you shouldn't be driving like that in the first place.

wat?

muti-quote yo...

Eleanor
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

wat?

muti-quote yo...

wat?