PDA

View Full Version : bimmer question?

THE GOVERNATOR
04-22-2008, 10:03 PM
well i've been thinking about jumping off the s13 band wagon i need something to fit me,my gf an also my son comfortably

then i seen a mint looking 1993 bmw 320I with 210,000kms
comes with new clutch,new brakes,new rotors,tires,new belts an also a thermostat.

i saw the asking price of $4000 o.b.o i offered him $3200 cause that's all i can afford at the time. he accepted my offer, but before i continue to go any further i need to know how reliable are BMW's and how much maintenance are these cars? and what kind of fuel milage should i expect out of it?

thanks guys for any positive info.

Bimmer88
04-22-2008, 10:05 PM
Hey dude,

Fuel... not exactly the cheapest with the rising cost of fuel. If you can afford about $60 bucks premium every week then yeah its pretty costly. Also it depends on how much you drive right..., and I drive A LOT like deep south to north sometimes or West.

Otherwise these cars are beauty's, and at the end of the day all you'll be thinking is that you have the Ultimate Driving Machine!

---Blue Screen in Flames Game?? wtf?---

Back now, anyways...

In terms of cost I suggest you buy parts in the states brand new from a dealership as its cheaper, and install it yourself if your capable of doing so.

The dealership here in Calgary charge you an arm and a leg to repair ANYTHING! another place is Shenni's which is great on prices.

Hope that helps you out. And your making a right decision because these German cars are built frigging tough! So saftey wise for your family its great.

THE GOVERNATOR
04-22-2008, 10:08 PM
yeah i only put on maybe 40km's a week i live close to my work lol

i never realised that the 320i runs on premium that kinda sucks but i guess you gotta pay to play right.

Bimmer88
04-22-2008, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR
yeah i only put on maybe 40km's a week i live close to my work lol

i never realised that the 320i runs on premium that kinda sucks but i guess you gotta pay to play right.

Yup for sure, you can put in regular but its not recommended right. Since your computer is used to premium it now has to adjust to regular and I've heard it could wreck something... not too sure what it was again but goodluck.

Safety is probably your number one priority and it sure is safe. I infact crashed one of my E46's last winter when the snow was melting during the day, and froze over night. My back end slipped out, and I did a 180 and slide backwards 200 ft because all my winter tires were worn down to 4/32" and I hit 3 trees, and light pole. and I made it out alive and bruised. That baby saved my life, and there is no other car I trust with my life but BMW.

THE GOVERNATOR
04-22-2008, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by Bimmer88

Yup for sure, you can put in regular but its not recommended right. Since your computer is used to premium it now has to adjust to regular and I've heard it could wreck something... not too sure what it was again but goodluck.

Safety is probably your number one priority and it sure is safe. I infact crashed one of my E46's last winter when the snow was melting during the day, and froze over night. My back end slipped out, and I did a 180 and slide backwards 200 ft because all my winter tires were worn down to 4/32" and I hit 3 trees, and light pole. and I made it out alive and bruised. That baby saved my life, and there is no other car I trust with my life but BMW.

well after hearing that testimate i really should put this into concideration, especially with having a child and all a bmw sounds like a prime choice for what i need as a dd thats forsure..

what about parts are they hard to find? can alot of stuff be done via d.i.y?

Bimmer88
04-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by THE GOVERNATOR

well after hearing that testimate i really should put this into concideration, especially with having a child and all a bmw sounds like a prime choice for what i need as a dd thats forsure..

what about parts are they hard to find? can alot of stuff be done via d.i.y?

Well no parts are hard to find, just expensive at the dealership.
and pretty much there's a DIY for everything.

97'Scort
04-23-2008, 12:41 AM
You can pretty much DIY everything if you have the tools. Parts are plentiful and most major ones can be had from group buys over at bimmerforums.com.

Engines are rock solid but some of the bits (water pump) attached to it are a little weak.

m10-power
04-23-2008, 01:02 AM
Just a heads up a 320i E36 is a bit of an odd ball in North America, only imported to Canada. Some parts are 318i and some parts are 325i. Engine is a M50 base. Dealer no problem, online parts places will not list 320i's nor will parts stores.

Clanche
04-23-2008, 01:10 AM
its definitely an in-between engine.. so dont expect alot of aftermarket support for the engine itself.. the great part of having a 3-series is that the bodies are almost identical regardless of which engine you have so you will find alot of stuff out there for suspension, brakes, body, etc.. (except once again, for the engine)

i think for that price i would go for it.. sounds like alot of important wear and tear parts have recently been changed and you will realize quickly how durable BMW engines and trannys are. Like someone mentioned, the failures in german cars come from little things (sensors, waterpump, engine fan, etc..)

In terms of winter car it has its downfall because of RWD. The traction control and a good set of winter tires will definately help you lots just don't expect the tracking of a subura during snow storms.

anyways.. i think you should go for it.. enjoy the ride!

Bimmer88
04-23-2008, 01:14 AM
Actually I drive a E46 320i and the only aftermarket stuff for it like Superchargers are in Europe... and that's hella expensive I tell you.

Otherwise most parts here in N.A. is also the 325i. Just engine is different.

blinkme_210
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I don't know how fuel efficient the E36 engines were. But my E60 goes through about 1/4 tank of premium gas in about 60km of city driving.

The BMW fuel mileage ratings are complete BS. Case in point, my E60 is rated at 22mpg city/32mpg highway. I have never even come close to those figures for city or highway. Only once did I even see 22mpg come up on the OBC after a reset; when I was driving down to Calgary with the wind. It definitely can't be engine wear, because I only have put 14,000km on it, and have done 2 oil changes already @ 5,000km intervals, with another one due this weekend.

Conclusion: do not buy a BMW if you're concerned about fuel cost.

THE GOVERNATOR
04-23-2008, 07:08 PM
well were in talks of a trade about my 240sx straight across hope all pans out lol.

Bimmer88
04-23-2008, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by blinkme_210
I don't know how fuel efficient the E36 engines were. But my E60 goes through about 1/4 tank of premium gas in about 60km of city driving.

The BMW fuel mileage ratings are complete BS. Case in point, my E60 is rated at 22mpg city/32mpg highway. I have never even come close to those figures for city or highway. Only once did I even see 22mpg come up on the OBC after a reset; when I was driving down to Calgary with the wind. It definitely can't be engine wear, because I only have put 14,000km on it, and have done 2 oil changes already @ 5,000km intervals, with another one due this weekend.

Conclusion: do not buy a BMW if you're concerned about fuel cost.

True, and I bet you those ratings are based at optimum driving so like following speed limits not hammering on the accel... etc...

Stupid fake mpgs.... But yeh I travel like 40km a day if not more!

tm.88
04-23-2008, 07:33 PM
i owned a 92 318i and a 95 325is...
both cars, just after 200 000 i started to need to replace just about something new all the time... i loved them though great cars...and for the price you look like your into something worth alot more.

Bimmer88
04-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Yeh most people recommend when you hit 200K you ditch it and get a new car cause at 200K it seems everything wears out...

Right now mines at 180K and its a 01 320i.

Gotta change the sparkplugs, ignition coils, control arms,

recently done the PW steering hoses, and pump, and rear control arms, and linkage. and front and rear tie rods.

About 5K there...

THE GOVERNATOR
04-23-2008, 11:53 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/209238/fs-1993-bmw-320i-pics/

this is it right hear oh also forgot to add new waterpump.

Bimmer88
04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
Oh in Shawnessy too lol
Nice car, obviously taken with a camera phone or something...
But very nice.