PDA

View Full Version : Calgary Flames MEGA THREAD 2008-2009 edition

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52

rage2
04-22-2008, 11:16 PM
Well boys, what should we look forward to for the upcoming season?

eb0i
04-22-2008, 11:17 PM
Go Flames Go!

heinz256
04-22-2008, 11:18 PM
:goflames: :goflames: :goflames:

and trade Eriksson!!!!

Evolution17
04-22-2008, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by heinz256

and trade Eriksson!!!!
+1 :goflames:

benyl
04-22-2008, 11:22 PM
:goflames: :drama: :goflames:

Goo_wak_jai
04-22-2008, 11:24 PM
FUCK erikkson he fucking suck dick! fuck old ass piece of shit!!! If he's still a flame I ain't a fan!!

PGTze
04-22-2008, 11:28 PM
That was fast ha....

They won't be able to resign juice

No one wants to trade them for erickson, you can forget that

They need to start letting young guys like boyd play

It's too bad they have about zero high end prospects, maybey backlund will be good enough to crack the lineup :dunno:

max_boost
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
It'll be a very interesting off season......

Dj_Stylz
04-22-2008, 11:30 PM
:rofl: :goflames:

cdnsir
04-22-2008, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Evolution17

+1 :goflames:

+2

Big question is, to keep Huselius or Tanguay?

PSIx20
04-22-2008, 11:37 PM
Neither...

rage2
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Neither. Tanguay just didn't deliver the whole season minus a few games. Gangbanger, well, I think every team has figured him out after watching tapes. He can dangle the puck when you give him room... collapse on him and he panics and gives up the puck 90% of the time. I've noticed that by mid season, even on PP's, other teams force a turnover on gangbanger whenever he has the puck by just closing in on him. It's worth the risk even if he's all by himself way out at the point. That's why we've seen him choke so badly since Feb, because everyone knows how to completely neutralize him.

D'z Nutz
04-22-2008, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by cdnsir

+2

Big question is, to keep Huselius or Tanguay?

As much as I like both of them, I say neither. Tangs is taking up too much cap space. Keep Langkow though.

PGTze
04-22-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

As much as I like both of them, I say neither. Tangs is taking up too much cap space. Keep Langkow though.

Luckily they signed Lankow when they did, they got him at a decent price. It will be hard to move Tanguay and get anything decent back for him due to his sallary.

edit: I thought lankows deal was pretty much a done thing

TeamBestBud
04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Hey rage we should look forward to DION next season:goflames:

harv91
04-23-2008, 12:15 AM
even though i love tangs and huselius i am thinking they will both be gone, we got fuckin jewed over when giordano and taratyukin (sp?) both left so we had to toss in guys like erikkson/vandermeer to help try to fill in those gaps but that proved to be costly.
Hopefully we can see Rhett Warner play more then the 8 or 9 games he usually plays.
I hope our new rookie that backlund guy comes to play next year, i watched him in that world cup he seems to be pretty good.
It'll be interesting to see what Darryl has up his sleeve
In Darryl We trust :D :goflames:

max_boost
04-23-2008, 12:28 AM
Let Husselius walk. Use to be a big fan of his but his no show, no heart in the playoffs has made me lose all respect for him.

Tanguay has a no trade clause so don't think he'll be going anywhere. He'll produce more with Husselius gone. Tangs was spending a lot of time on the PK and was given a lesser role. He's better defensively but his offense has suffered a lot. He's going to need to get his confidence back. We need him to score!

Losing Giordano hurt a lot. Sutter lowballed him with a two way contract, of course he would leave for Russia for more $$$.

Whatever happened to Richie Regehr?

Taratukin could have been another Pavel Brendl, who knows! He couldn't hack it here in NA. Don't blame him, didn't speak any English and had a pregnant wife I think back in Russia.

Langkow has proved his worth.

The D needs a changeover. Time for Eriksson and Warrener to go.

Lombardi needs to be given more ice time and he needs to elevate his game and be a #2 center. Nystrom can fill his previous role of PK and ride the 3rd line. Give Boyd some ice time too. What other prospects do we have that can make an impact?

Cujo, Nolan, Yelle, Primeau, Conroy and Nilson, who do you guys like? Obviously Cujo, capable backup but do the rest of those guys have any thing left in them?

I don't know what to think about Mike Keenan. Who would we replace him with anyway?

beyond101
04-23-2008, 12:35 AM
bring Naslund?

2002civic
04-23-2008, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by beyond101
bring Naslund?
no, and did langkow re-sign? I heard rumours but nothing official

Team_Mclaren
04-23-2008, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by beyond101
bring Naslund?

are you nuts?

That'll NEVER happen. Unless he signs for less than 2 mill

I dont think it'll be a THAT interesting off season, all the core will remain i think.

Tanguay wont be leaving, which is good imo.
Langkow will sign for around 5mill/year.
Nolan will be back as well, at least i hope.
Huselius walks, I'm going to guess ATL.
Primeau still has contract under his belt.
Conroy should be back? maybe? I dotn know, I would like him to be, he'll probably sign for around 1, and at that price, i say its worth it.
Hale leaves
Vandermeer stays

Cujo is a tough one, would you give Krahn, McElhinney or Keetley a chance? We have alot of prospect goalies, Leland Irving should be the next big thing, hopefully.

Also keep in mind that Keenan will have more experience with this group of guys, im optimistic.

eb0i
04-23-2008, 02:06 AM
Originally posted by 2002civic

no, and did langkow re-sign? I heard rumours but nothing official

nothing yet.

harv91
04-23-2008, 03:20 AM
Earlier this season when huselius was lighting it up pittsburgh wanted him, man that would have been so sweet to have tossed him in and have stolen one of their prospect rookies :D

mac_82
04-23-2008, 06:11 AM
-hopefully we resign Conroy for a lot less than what he made this season, 1-1.5mill
-resign Nolan to a one year deal
-Langks signs a 2-3 year deal
-Huselius walks, signs in the east (Devils, Pitts, Atl, Bost)
-resign Yelle to a one year deal
-Smith walks
-Nystrom resigns
-Godard resigns
-Warrener hopefully retires/gets traded/gets bought out
-Eriksson can spend the season in the minors so he doesn't count against the cap
-Hale/Vandermeer are great depth guys to have in the 6/7 D spots. For $590,000 you won't find a better player than Hale.
-it will be interesting what happens with the backup role. keep cujo for another year? let mcelhinney sit on the bench for another season? will krahn/keetley/lalande/irving get a shot?

mac_82
04-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Flames Top 20 Prospects Spring 2008

1. Dustin Boyd, C (7.0 B)
2. Mikael Backlund, C (7.5 C)
3. Leland Irving, G (7.5 C)
4. Juuso Puustinen, RW (7.0 C)
5. Andrei Taratukhin, C (7.0 D)
6. Curtis McElhinney, G (6.5 C)
7. Mark Giordano, D (6.5 C)
8. Eric Nystrom, LW (6.0 B)
9. Matt Keetley, G (6.5 C)
10. John Negrin, D (6.5 C)
11. Tim Ramholt, D (6.0 C)
12. Adam Pardy, D (6.0 C)
13. Kris Chucko, LW (6.0 C)
14. Matt Pelech, D (6.0 C)
15. Brandon Prust, LW (5.5 B)
16. John Armstrong, C (6.0 C)
17. Aaron Marvin, C (5.5 C)
18. David Van der Gulik, RW (5.5 C)
19. Devin Didiomete, LW (5.5 C)
20. Jordan Fulton, C (7 F)

Mr_ET
04-23-2008, 06:16 AM
Keep Tangs, drop Huselius.

Get rid of Erickson at all costs!

SilverRex
04-23-2008, 06:55 AM
you know from what I heard on fan960, I nearly thought this team teams a huge shake up, but really what more can you do?

aside keeping the core iggy, dio, reggie, and kipper.

sign langkow.

keep tanguay

get rid of juice/ericsson

and I think what we need is another top 4 defensemen. We need to bolster our defense. I think we have enough offesence and bring someone up from the minors for a change, start loading up the youth that can bring speed.

If you can give kipper help and cut shots down, I think we will be better off.

icecreamvan
04-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by mac_82
Flames Top 20 Prospects Spring 2008

1. Dustin Boyd, C (7.0 B)
2. Mikael Backlund, C (7.5 C)
3. Leland Irving, G (7.5 C)
4. Juuso Puustinen, RW (7.0 C)
5. Andrei Taratukhin, C (7.0 D)
6. Curtis McElhinney, G (6.5 C)
7. Mark Giordano, D (6.5 C)
8. Eric Nystrom, LW (6.0 B)
9. Matt Keetley, G (6.5 C)
10. John Negrin, D (6.5 C)
11. Tim Ramholt, D (6.0 C)
12. Adam Pardy, D (6.0 C)
13. Kris Chucko, LW (6.0 C)
14. Matt Pelech, D (6.0 C)
15. Brandon Prust, LW (5.5 B)
16. John Armstrong, C (6.0 C)
17. Aaron Marvin, C (5.5 C)
18. David Van der Gulik, RW (5.5 C)
19. Devin Didiomete, LW (5.5 C)
20. Jordan Fulton, C (7 F)

What do the numbers in the brackets mean? Fuck, I would've preferred if we worked something out with Giordano.

SoSlowDx
04-23-2008, 07:38 AM
Rhett Warrener, Erikkson, Nilson, Huselius should not come back next year.

Sign Langkow for sure and we need more offensive power. Use our young prospects???

Anyone know if we can get Giordano back?

mac_82
04-23-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

What do the numbers in the brackets mean? Fuck, I would've preferred if we worked something out with Giordano.

oops i forgot to link to the article...

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/10300/flames_top20_prospects_spring2008/

mac_82
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
Giordano - was a RFA. walked out on a 2-way contract offer in the offseason. 59 games of experience shouldn't warrant a 1-way contract. hopefully Sutter works something out with him.

Taratukhin - walked out of the organization with 1 year left on his contract. doubtful if he will ever be back.

Regehr 2.0 - was a UFA. went across the pond to play and recover from his concussion problems. no bad blood between him and the flames, plus Robyn is here long term, so it would be great if he came back with the Flames.

Pardy/Ramholt/Pelech/Negrin - aren't as NHL ready as Gio/Reg 2.0

Sutter's comments:

"I haven't thought of Taratukhin at all because he's a player that went away, right? Andrei, it was more of a lifestyle decision. He was a guy that wasn't playing in the NHL. He was a depth player who may never play in the NHL.

"Gio's a guy that was knocking on the door at becoming a full-time player. Remember, he played 48 NHL games (in 2006-07), at 12, 13 minutes (per night), so he was basically a seventh, and, at times, eighth defenceman. We'd like to have them both in our organization -- we have their rights."

bamboo403
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
I hope Hale is gone next season. I hate that soft handed fag.

anarchy
04-23-2008, 09:24 AM
I hope gio comes back. He only signed a one-year contract with Russia right?

He's got a lot to learn but I really liked his offensive upside. I can't stress how much I hate Eriksson. I've always thought he sucked and have never seen his upside.

Langkow should stay, he's worth the coin. Tanguay will stay, although I don't think he's worth it at all. He's yet to show me that he's living up to his 5 mil pricetag.

I was a fan of juice but he's been shit since the mid-point of the season and with the money he'll surely be asking for, I say let him walk.

Lombo and Boyd should definitely get more ice time. I know a lot of people were jumpin on Lombo for lack of offense which I agree, but he's no slack out there. I would argue that he was one of our better players in the playoffs.

I like Warrener except for the fact that he's made of glass, and for sure he wont' be resigned.

I think we need some secondary scoring. I don't think we have enough offense and I thought juice would fill that role but obviously not. Here's hoping we can bring someone in to help out.

And finally, I like Vandermeer a lot! He's a total gritty Sutter-type player.

Here's to a better 09!
:goflames:

Ajay
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Warrener is under contract for next season at $2.35 million. He'll be back and if he's healthy I think he'll be an amazing contributor. I think both Eriksson and possibly Aucoin could be gone. Aucoin was supposed to be our Hamrlik replacement and he didn't live up too that at all.

Huselius will be gone. I'm sure Darryl will extend an offer out of courtesy but it will be peanuts. Tanguay should be gone but going to be tough to find a team to take his salary and any offer for Tanguay will more than likely have to be coupled with a skill guy like Lombardi or a prospect of some type.

Lankgow isn't going anywhere. Dude plays the Flame style to a tee. I think Conroy will be back as well. He'll resign here for a much smaller salary. He's old and doesn't have many years left anyway. Would like to see Nolan and Cujo back but I think the Flames need to give some nods to the young kids in the system.

dmtx
04-23-2008, 10:36 AM
Why did we let go of Stuart? he's pretty solid. Between Hamrlik and Aucoin, I don't like Hamrlik for the reason that he's pretty hot tempered. How many times did he take the crazy penalties for being frustrated along the blue lines?

rage2
04-23-2008, 10:40 AM
I don't think we let go of Stuart. He didn't want to stay.

dmtx
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Might be repost but here's the top 10 goals of the flames. Juice made a lot of "hockey" goals but too bad we didn't see them during the play-offs....

http://flames.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=15410&catid=40

top 10 hits:
http://flames.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=15412&catid=40

anarchy
04-23-2008, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't think we let go of Stuart. He didn't want to stay.

:werd:

We offered him more money then LA did, they got him at a bargain (i think less than 2 mil wasn't it?). But he wanted to go back to the West Coast, but they traded him anways lol.

As for Hammer, that guy was solid. I thought he was a great tutor to Phaneuf.

bobby_lu
04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Stuart was a FA, I dont think it was much of a secret when he came to Calgary that he was headed to the West Coast at the end of the year.

Ajay
04-23-2008, 11:05 AM
Stuart was a farce for Calgary. He had his moments in the playoffs but I don't think he's a top tier defenseman in the NHL anymore. I would have much rather saw the Flames keep Hammer than Stuart.

mac_82
04-23-2008, 11:08 AM
Stuart signed a 1 year - $3.5 mill deal.

It was rumoured to be for less because Blake's deal was up at the end of this year, and he wasn't going to be signing for $6 mill per for next year. So Stuart was going to get the big deal then. But I guess that didn't happen....

jdmakkord
04-23-2008, 11:08 AM

Regehr 2.0 - was a UFA. went across the pond to play and recover from his concussion problems. no bad blood between him and the flames, plus Robyn is here long term, so it would be great if he came back with the Flames.

"

Ritchie is playing low contact hockey in europe to keep in shape, while recovering from his concussion.

98type_r
04-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Well boys, what should we look forward to for the upcoming season?

I was looking forward to being the thread starter for 08-09, but you beat me to it...

Not looking forward to the upcoming season until I see what Sutter does in the off season.

mac_82
04-23-2008, 11:28 AM
As for bringing D-men in, I would love to see Commodore or Montador brought back into the fold. Both are UFA as of July 1st. Both are much better players now.

Other nice UFA options might be Rozsival, Lilja, or Jason Smith.

But that depends on shedding salary of Erkisson/Warrener, and if we resign Hale/Vandy.

anarchy
04-23-2008, 12:01 PM
I coulda sworn Warrener was a UFA this summer. What is Eriksson's contract? How long are we stuck with his ass for? I say buy him out!

As I mentioned in the 08 thread, Sutter has made some very questionable moves. He'll have to have a good off-season to show we can have confidence in him.

mac_82
04-23-2008, 12:05 PM
Warrener:
08/09 - $2.5
09/10 - UFA

Eriksson:
08/09 - $1.5
09/10 - UFA

In 09/10 Aucoin will be UFA as well.

dmtx
04-23-2008, 12:30 PM
Warrener:
08/09 - $2.5
09/10 - UFA

Eriksson:
08/09 - $1.5
09/10 - UFA

hope to buy both of them out. I just though warrener to be getting old and weak...

Ajay
04-23-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by dmtx

hope to buy both of them out. I just though warrener to be getting old and weak...

I agree with buying out Eriksson. He's useless as a defenseman. Warrener on the other hand is not. I think if we had a player like Warrener out there our defense wouldn't have been so shabby.

He often played paired with Hale and they were a good combination. Against a team like San Jose we needed more than one shut down defense pairing (Regehr/Sarich). Warrener would have been great for that.

icecreamvan
04-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I'd like to see Avery here, even though he's an ass.
Plus the Avery/Phaneuf/Cuthbert scenario would be good for some laughs.

soupey
04-23-2008, 04:43 PM
for some reason i still dont want to see huselius go...i think if provided with teh right company he can still produce...jus had a bad season...

and if commodore came back...well that'd be something, he had quite a presence on the ice back in 04

icecreamvan
04-23-2008, 05:03 PM
I think Huselius is like Brett Hull in the sense that they need to play without having to worry about defending anyone. The difference is that Brett Hull can finish by himself whereas Juice needs someone to pass to.

Quizzes
04-23-2008, 06:03 PM
There's a revolving door of defenseman coming in each year for the Flames... it's good they have Phaneuf and Regehr locked in long-term, but it's hard to have consistency when there's a different pairing each week. I have a good feeling about Adam Pardy and John Negrin as far as the future's concerned.
I've been a Tanguay supporter this whole season, but he's been given numerous opportunities to prove his worth and has disappointed when counted upon. There's no doubt he has talent, but if the confidence's not there, he's just a 3rd liner at best. Same goes for Huselius.
Nolan and Langkow are warhorses. Conroy's a good locker room guy and have a good relationship with Iggy, so he'll probably stay for a bit less. Lombardi, IMO, has developed into a fine defensive forward... possible future Selke candidate...?

95teetee
04-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Ajay
Stuart was a farce for Calgary. He had his moments in the playoffs but I don't think he's a top tier defenseman in the NHL anymore. I would have much rather saw the Flames keep Hammer than Stuart. I agree completely- couldn't believe all the hype about the guy when they traded for him (btw- bad trade IMO, whether they signed Stuart or not) and saw nothing of it. Didn't bother me at all that they didn't resign him.

Rocky
04-23-2008, 06:25 PM
Here's my take:

Don't worry about Conroy and Langkow, they will want to stay with the organization.

Younger guys need to start coming up and developing, Lombo is a good example of why you do that. I've been preaching about Boyd for over two years and I look forward to seeing him more in the line up, I follow him pretty closely and have said for a while he's one of the next big things.

Defense, we could use another defensive d-man, and Phaneuf needs to start playing mature defense and stop trying to be a Gonchar type. His +/- in the playoffs was disgusting as was a lot of his play. I really like Vandermeer, he'll be back, and I think Aucoin will be too; just a hunch.

I don't mind Tanguay, you're not going to get anyone else better than him, but he has to start shooting the puck!! He passes and dangles waaaaaay too much. Huse can take a paycut or go, that freed cap room might help us bring in someone else good for a handful of points.

There's no way you don't bring back Nolan for another season of good amounts of ice time, that guy was pure heart and soul during the playoffs and has been playing well all season. Cujo... 41 years old? I have to stay, start training the future, especially when you have two or three legitimately good goalies coming up.

Lastly, Keenan... I thought he was an alright coach, pretty gutsy, expected a lot of the players which is good. His biggest fault was pulling Kipper in game 7, if you ask me, but he made a decision that didn't work out, and hindsight is always 20/20. I'd be happy to follow him for another year and see what happens.

That being said, In Sutter We Trust! Kipprusoff, Nolan, Vandermeer, Huselius... look at the players he brings in out of no where which have helped tremendously. Those Sutters just sense hockey talent.

D'z Nutz
04-23-2008, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Conroy's a good locker room guy and have a good relationship with Iggy, so he'll probably stay for a bit less.

Not only that, but he's great with the media and he loves it here. He actually was present at all the Anaheim games during the 05-06 playoffs cheering on his old team. As far as his play actually goes, he's a big contributor on the PK (when he's not responsible for it, that is). I don't question that he'd take a pay cut just to stay in Calgary if it came down to it. He's learned his lesson this time :nut:

I expect big things from Nystrom next year. He's shaping up to be a really good player who can produce chances. The young guys need more ice time.

dmtx
04-23-2008, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
There's a revolving door of defenseman coming in each year for the Flames...

I think that's one of the weakness of the team... a lot come and go every year before even getting a solid playing relationship with each other. I thought that Sutter is a big believer of that but for some reason we haven't found solid core... it would be nice to see most of the players from this year back except ericson. If juice and tangs stay, I think the positive thing about that is they have played for a while with this team and, who knows, they become more more comfortable/confident next year with each other.

The reason why Regher bursted last week calling out the team was because he was here in 04... he saw how bad it is to come so close but just failed. Same with Iginla, yelle, lombardi...THere's no doubt they poured everything they've got this seven games. If we get most of the team intact this year, probably would pay later..... few will have to go and new ones will come but hopefully done as a fine tweaking. Who knows 1 or two years more of playing together will bring them as a more solid team and get their consistency higher.

We need more solid D men for sure that can grind enough.... we need a solid backup so as not to burn out kipper out there during the regular season. Offense? I thought we had good chances with our offense, it's just the wheels fall off because they were not playing at the same frequency....

Sutter and the coaches can figure it out....

dmtx
04-23-2008, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Ajay

Warrener on the other hand is not. I think if we had a player like Warrener out there our defense wouldn't have been so shabby. .

umm, yeah... i guess you're right. I just thought for 2.5mil, who else is better?

max_boost
04-23-2008, 09:06 PM
As for bringing D-men in, I would love to see Commodore or Montador brought back into the fold. Both are UFA as of July 1st. Both are much better players now.

I would love to see Monty and Commodore back in a Flames uniform!

Originally posted by icecreamvan
I'd like to see Avery here, even though he's an ass.
Plus the Avery/Phaneuf/Cuthbert scenario would be good for some laughs.

Maybe he is the kind of guy we need in our lineup! Minus all the gay antics....ever since Theo left, we don't have that spark plug player that can get the team going.

Originally posted by 95teetee
I agree completely- couldn't believe all the hype about the guy when they traded for him (btw- bad trade IMO, whether they signed Stuart or not) and saw nothing of it. Didn't bother me at all that they didn't resign him.

Out of all the trades, that one I hated the most. Sure Primeau is a solid 3rd line checker and grinder kind of guy, but Ference was great guy in the locker room who can log heavy minutes and had some offensive spark. Chucky had a decent year putting up 22 goals but he's going to get better too. Brad Stuart is over-rated imo! He's a solid D-man but doesn't play with a lot of heart. Seems like he's just there to collect his pay cheque and say F-it at the end of the day (pure assumption lol).

/end rant

mac_82
04-25-2008, 06:07 AM
Giordano is an alternate for team Canada...

Quizzes
04-25-2008, 08:11 AM
I wish Giordano could be back next season. I don't think Sutter will sign him seeing as how there's still a bitter taste in his mouth. Sutter was unwilling to budge on a two-way contract given his lack of NHL experience. Can't blame Gio for leaving, and can't really blame Sutter for offering that to him. He did a tremendous job as the 7th D when he was here.

mac_82
05-05-2008, 09:04 AM
CALGARY HERALD: Bruce Dowbiggin reports sources claim the Flames will re-sign defenseman Mark Giordano to a three-year, one-way contract after he's eligible to sign with them as a restricted free agent on July 1st. Giordano last summer spurned a one-year,two-way contract from the Flames and spent last season playing in the Russian Super League. Dowbiggin suspects the change in offers from the Flames is a result of their need for young, mobile defensemen, but he also wonders where Giordano's new contract (estimated to be $1 million per season) will fit under the salary cap, suggesting trading either Rhett Warrener, Anders Ericksson or Adrian Aucoin, of which only the latter has trade value.

mac_82
05-05-2008, 09:11 AM
Also a little old but it's great that we signed Backlund. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, hopefully he will get a season in the W and not go back to Sweden.

CALGARY - The Calgary Flames signed first-round draft pick Mikael Backlund to a contract Friday.

The six-foot, 194-pounder was selected with the 24th overall pick of the 2007 NHL entry draft.

"Mikael is one of the best 18-year old centres in the world and we are pleased that we have been able to retain him under contract," Flames GM Darryl Sutter said in a release. "He demonstrated at the world junior championships that he is in an elite class."

Backlund, who played for Vasteras in his native Sweden this season, had three goals and four assists at the 2008 world junior tournament. Sweden settled for silver after losing to Canada in the final.

Quizzes
05-05-2008, 09:39 AM
Good news about Gio and Backlund. Hope the kid could get used to the NHL ice surface when he plays in the Dub next year.

a social dsease
05-05-2008, 07:47 PM
Get Rid Of : Ericson, Huselius, Aucoin
Keep : Gio, Conroy, Nolan, Lombo

not a big fan of tanguay , but give him 1 more yr to live up to his potential

WHERES PHANEUFS END TO ENDER AGAINST MINNESOTA? http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8U1OMDLv8w

[B]Might be repost but here's the top 10 goals of the flames. Juice made a lot of "hockey" goals but too bad we didn't see them during the play-offs....

http://flames.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=15410&catid=40

mac_82
05-06-2008, 02:18 PM
Detroit Red Wings goaltender Chris Osgood has a theory centred on the Calgary Flames.

No team that has played the Flames in the playoffs has emerged out of the Western Conference in recent years.

"Calgary just wears you out, even if you beat them," Osgood said. "It shows up in the later rounds."

In 2004, the Flames reached the Stanley Cup finals themselves.

In 2006, Anaheim eliminated Calgary, but fell in the conference final to Edmonton. Last year, the Wings defeated the Flames, but lost in the conference final to Anaheim.

This year, it took the Sharks seven games to get past Calgary in the opening round, but they were eliminated by the Dallas Stars.

SilverRex
05-06-2008, 02:42 PM
^^^ sweet that means from now on, no team likes playing the Flames. always a good thing

Mr_ET
05-06-2008, 02:49 PM
I am sure similar stats could be found about countless other teams we are just focusing on our team:D

mac_82
05-06-2008, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
I am sure similar stats could be found about countless other teams we are just focusing on our team:D

I think it's less about the stats and more about his experience with the Wings and them playing us last year and how banged up they were after the series.

dmtx
05-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by a social dsease

WHERES PHANEUFS END TO ENDER AGAINST MINNESOTA? http://youtube.com/watch?v=F8U1OMDLv8w

probably because he owns like 7 of the top 10 hits, they didn't give him his great plays/goals

Flames top 10 hits (http://flames.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=15412&catid=40)

That top 1 hit was gold though... and so is number 9.:D

windomurl
05-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Hey all. First post on this board.

While watching the WC game today, I was thinking it's a shame there are no Flames on Team Canada this year.
Although you can't fault the guys staying home because their wives are expecting, what about Dion? He says he's sore... :cry:

Maybe this is why?
http://www.calgarysun.com/media/phaneufCuthbert/PhanuefCuthbertVid.html

Team_Mclaren
05-07-2008, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by windomurl

Maybe this is why?

how do you say no to that shit, I woulda skip WC too, he's already a lock for 2010 anyway:drool: :drool:

R-Audi
05-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Not sure if anyone else heard this....
Apparently came from Red Bull rep or something.

But at some time during or after the playoffs Phanuef and Regher got into a fist fight...and apparently Phaneuf has been called a 'Cancer' in the dressing room. People are having a hard time dealing with his ego and attitutude.

To me... I think trading Phanuef is a not a terrible idea if he is in fact disrupting the team....certainly get some great players in return.

Quizzes
05-07-2008, 08:08 AM
Why would a Red Bull rep say something like that about one of their spokesperson?
I don't doubt that he has a big ego cuz dude's good... I've heard about his attitude, too. Maybe that's why Elisha's dating him... she digs cocky guys.

R-Audi
05-07-2008, 08:30 AM
I've heard about the attitude in the dressing room problem from several people.... only the fistfight from this person.

D'z Nutz
05-07-2008, 08:37 AM
It wouldn't surprise me. I've heard Dion's a real ass from people who run into him in and around town. I've always thought of him as a douche bag. He's definitely one of those players you want on your team because of his skills, but would otherwise hate on another.

Ajay
05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
It wouldn't surprise me. I've heard Dion's a real ass from people who run into him in and around town. I've always thought of him as a douche bag. He's definitely one of those players you want on your team because of his skills, but would otherwise hate on another.

:werd:

I could see Dion being a douche bag. He's 22 years old making $6.5 million/year. Lots of 22 year olds are douche bags just because they're immature brats. Couple that with a hefty salary and hearing your name in the papers every day during the hockey season in Calgary and your head is gonna swell.

I think he'll be a great defenseman in a few years but I wouldn't doubt he's disruptive to the team. If they did get into a fist fight I hope Regehr punished him. Regehr is my fave Flame.

95teetee
05-08-2008, 06:06 PM

probably because he owns like 7 of the top 10 hits, they didn't give him his great plays/goals

Flames top 10 hits (http://flames.nhl.tv/team/launch.htm?type=fvod&id=15412&catid=40)

That top 1 hit was gold though... and so is number 9.:D I love that 3rd angle on #1- you can really see Dio change direction and accelerate through the hit:thumbsup:

Originally posted by windomurl
Maybe this is why?
I'd be saying 'forget hockey' too:poosie:

R!zz0
05-13-2008, 10:54 AM
First thing first, Sutter needs to be a new school GM, not old school. He's got to stop bringing shitty players who can't get the job done.

He needs to start bringing star players like Hossa, Antropov, Tucker, McCabe... etc. (Just giving an example)

There hasn't been intensity on the team for the past couple years, maybe few. Iginla and kipper are not always it. They got to stop depending on them and step up as a team and finish the job.

anarchy
05-13-2008, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by R!zz0
First thing first, Sutter needs to be a new school GM, not old school. He's got to stop bringing shitty players who can't get the job done.

He needs to start bringing star players like Hossa, Antropov, Tucker, McCabe... etc. (Just giving an example)

There hasn't been intensity on the team for the past couple years, maybe few. Iginla and kipper are not always it. They got to stop depending on them and step up as a team and finish the job.

You're fuking kiddin right? Not to be rude lol, and I wrote in my earlier post that Sutter has made some very questionable moves, but you just said we need to bring in some star players and you listed THREE LEAFS?!

Tucker is a cheap piece of shit but I suppose he could be good on our team as a pest, and Antropov is starting to live up to his potential, but McCabe is a terribile defenseman that costs the Leafs a lot of goals. I would officially abandon this team if they go out and get McCabe. That would show that Sutter doesn't have a clue about how to run a team. I wouldn't trade a bag of pucks for that monkey and his bloated contract.

Team_Mclaren
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM

your credit and knowledge of hockey just dropped to the floor as soon as you mentioned McCabe.

kthxbye

Quizzes
05-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Old school GMs fork out the money and bring in star players, new school GMs work the cap to a tee and bring in kids from the farm who can compete in the NHL.

McCabe? As if the Flames don't have enough problems in their defensive zone already.

mac_82
05-13-2008, 12:28 PM

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

HybridTheory
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Darcy Tucker is a star player? kthxbye!

rmk
05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
:barf: to the Leaf player comments...

Ugh. My lunch :barf:

bobby_lu
05-13-2008, 01:19 PM
While theyre at it why dont they just trade Iginla for Carlos Coliacovo and Anton Strahlman :rolleyes:

R!zz0
05-13-2008, 02:24 PM
It was just an example :guns:

But, i would take McCabe anytime over Eriksson.

You see how Dallas picked up Brad Richards?
See how the Penguins picked up Hossa?
Sutter has to pick up players like that. Players like Nilson got to go for someone who can score and not be useless to the team.

R!zz0
05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by bobby_lu
While theyre at it why dont they just trade Iginla for Carlos Coliacovo and Anton Strahlman :rolleyes:

Where did trading Iginla come from?

bobby_lu
05-13-2008, 02:36 PM

Sutter has to pick up players like that. Players like Nilson got to go for someone who can score and not be useless to the team.

Once again, Im not even a Flames fun, but you are comparing 1st liners to 4th liners, you still need checkers on your team. You cant expect to have Hossa or Richards and replace your 4th liners with them.

Where did trading Iginla come from?

It was sarcastic, in response to your classification of McCabe, Tucker and Antropov being star players...which I also hope was sarcasm.

anarchy
05-13-2008, 02:37 PM

Dude, you have to be realistic. It's not just about talent. I could easily say, man I'd take Scott Gomez over Marcus Nilson any day. But you have to take into account other factors, specifically contract and Gomez's 7.3 mil salary!

And you make it sound easy to pick up elite players like Richards or Hossa, like it's Sutter's decision just not to do it. We are close to the cap, plus we'd have to sell the farm to get these guys. We simply don't have the pieces, nor would it make sense to trade away soem great young players for a rental player that is here for a few months.

Look at the Brad Stuart trade as a prime example. We gave away a young solid and cheap d-man and a promising forward with a lot of potential (who admitedly wasn't reaching his potential here) for a guy that played a few months here and bolted.

SilverRex
05-13-2008, 03:01 PM
^^^

yes from a realistic standpoint the Flames couldnt afford these late acqusition. Then again if you look at all the winning teams who bring home the cup. Most of them do sign a player near the deadline to deepen their depth chart.

Yes even if we have to pay the price, the Flame is in a position to content, otherwise in a few more years, You will or may not see the same core together again. Having to lock them up on the 1st round was a really great effort by sutter, but one has to realize we just need that secondary spark.

I rather take my chance now its not like we have to give up one of our cores.

Look at philly, what a turn around after they acquire some big names.

For the Flames this year's exit, every game was a close game except the last one. Can you imagine having a player like hossa who just have to score that one extra goal or two to tie and win the hockey game? The flames would have beaten the sharks in 6.

I'm quite tired with the Flames loosing the 1st round every time. Doesnt everyone believe the key for them is to get into the 2nd round and anything can happen.

its been 3 exits in a row. So Sutter we trust, would the new season convince him otherwise?

anarchy
05-13-2008, 03:18 PM
I am certainly not arguing the fact that we could use an impact player. No doubt a Hossa or someone could help, there's no denying that.

But what I'm saying is that the chances of us landing an elite player is slim to none. Who would we have to trade? Tanguay's value has decreased significantly, Juice is leaving, other than Iggy, Tanguay, Kipper, Regehr and Phaneuf (none of which are leaving), who would we have to trade?

And with the way free agency is going ($10 mil for players like Briere and Drury?), we are unlikely to be able outbid anyone for an elite player.

Thus, we should worry about building our prospects and giving them a chance to play more significant minutes (Lombo, Boyd, Nystrom, and one day Backlund) and bringing in some secondary scoring that we could possibly afford.

I agree that it's now or never while our key players are in their peak, but even with a Hossa or Richards, I still don't think we're a contender. Certainly no better off than our 04 team.

Hossa is doing well because the pressure is on Crosby/Malkin to score, and he's got help in Malone and Sykora. Put him in Calgary and he almost certainly would not be as effective.

95teetee
05-13-2008, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by SilverRex
[B from a realistic standpoint the Flames couldnt afford these late acqusition. [/B] too bad that they couldn't pull an Anaheim- Iggy and Kipper could 'retire' and then come back and be fresh for the later season/playoffs, and cause a small footprint in the salary cap.

Of course, I mean they couldn't do it because they'd be out of the race when they came back...

4bier
05-13-2008, 09:44 PM
it would be nice to see a lil chemistry rather than the iggy-phaneuf show all the time. seems like there not sure which way they wanna go they need to add more grit i think. they did much better with the ruff tuff team they had a few years back we need simon,maccarty,totoo,....strong grinders seems like its there style of play

PGTze
05-13-2008, 11:12 PM

You must only watch hockey on Saturdays at around 5pm MST

Originally posted by 4bier
it would be nice to see a lil chemistry rather than the iggy-phaneuf show all the time. seems like there not sure which way they wanna go they need to add more grit i think. they did much better with the ruff tuff team they had a few years back we need simon,maccarty,totoo,....strong grinders seems like its there style of play

I kind of agree, in this NHL most teams have a shit disturbing kind of player that can play a little bit, I think Prust could fill that role next year.

They also need a shot of youthful enthusiam, although I don't see them finding much in the way of good young talent by next year. Keenan could at least unstaple Dustin Boyd from the bench/ pressbox and let him play more than 5 minutes a game on the forth line for gods sakes. WTF is he supposed to do playing with Godard and Nystrom. When Tanguay was hurt he actually got some pp time and looked pretty good.

Team_Mclaren
05-13-2008, 11:13 PM

once again you have proved to everyone that you have no idea what you are talking about. This is not NHL2008 on Xbox360.

Rocky
05-14-2008, 12:20 PM
^ :rofl:

Calgary has all the tools to go far, they just haven't. It's been three first-round exits in a row, but let's be sensible. Firstly, the team is consistently making the playoffs, something we hadn't seen for seven years before 04. Secondly, we're always coming up against tough opposition (which isn't an excuse) but it should be considered that Detroit in 07 was a powerhouse and the Sharks this year were early favorites (I think they ran out of gas playing Calgary and that's why they had no answer to Dallas).

The team needs a strong increase in youth, players who are real hungry... look at Lombo, he's a fourth or fifth year player now, but he's down blocking shots, racing to pucks, going for those short handed goals than wheeling back to the defensive end -- all heart. Get a couple more younger players like that and we'll be fine, just need trust the youth. Though I know Keenan is one of those hard-nosed, old school types... maybe not the best thing to be in the new NHL, but I'll give him another season before I bitch.

mac_82
05-15-2008, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Rocky
^ :rofl:

Calgary has all the tools to go far, they just haven't. It's been three first-round exits in a row, but let's be sensible. Firstly, the team is consistently making the playoffs, something we hadn't seen for seven years before 04. Secondly, we're always coming up against tough opposition (which isn't an excuse) but it should be considered that Detroit in 07 was a powerhouse and the Sharks this year were early favorites (I think they ran out of gas playing Calgary and that's why they had no answer to Dallas).

Couldn't agree more. Before Sutter came to town this was a consistent 11th-14th place team finishing 10-20 points out of the playoffs, and with a terrible draft record to boot. Although Button did pull of some pretty good deals/drafts picking up guys like Kobasew, Moss, Krahn, Leopold, and Commodore. Hate/Love Sutter all you want, at least he has put us in a position to be a consistent contender year after year.

Since the Flames have hired Sutter (02-03) our record has been:

192W - 132L - 15T - 35OTL.

That should speak for itself. I'm not even going to look at our record from the late 90s. Sutter has turned this into a winning organization. Nuff said. :goflames:

dino_martini
05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
http://flames.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=363240

Flames are going to play a pre-season game in Winnipeg against the Coyotes. That is kind of neat, I wasnt around to see the Jets, but if Winnipeg ever did get a team I think its a good thing. The more Canadian teams in the NHL the better IMO. I'd love to see an all Canadian playoffs, but that will never ever happen :rofl:

mac_82
05-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Taken from this article...
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=d649f337-9e9f-4843-b39f-e8fb7626d419&p=1

but that (backup) spot is going to go to a young player this year, for sure

Bye bye Cujo. Most likely bye bye Krahn as well. Backup will most likely by McElhinney, Irving, or Lalande. Whoever wins that fight.

"It remains to be seen whether he's a bigger, stronger, more mature player," Sutter said of the 24-year-old. "He was a player who appeared to be cracking our top-six (defencemen) when he left here . . . and now he's decided that it's in his best interest to come back to North America.

It will be great to see Gio back in the lineup next year in a 5-6 spot. Possibly paired with Vandermeer (if he signs).

max_boost
06-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Flames get Mike Cammalleri part of a 3 way deal with Kings & Ducks! :eek:

D'z Nutz
06-20-2008, 05:14 PM
... and as speculated for a long time, Tangs off to Montreal. He may have had a shitty year last season, but I'll miss him in the Flames jersey. Not a bad pick up at all though!