PDA

View Full Version : Plasma vs. LCD

Masked Bandit
04-23-2008, 08:39 AM
So I'm looking for my first flat screen tv and I thought I had it all decided but I'm starting to find some conflicting evidence.

I know I want a 42" for the space it's going to be in and I had a plasma picked out at FS as the picture is supposed to be sharper with a better contrast ratio vs. LCD. Then I was at Costco and they had a LCD & Plasma side by side and the LCD looked much brighter and sharper. Are my eyes tricking me?

I'm not worried about burn-in as that seems to be a thing of the past and I don't have a gaming console anyway.

Thoughts / comments?

teggypimp95
04-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Lcds are much brighter that plasmas, but plasmas colors seem to be a bit more true.

Sharpness, either or could be better totally depends on the tv.

Buy your tv depending where you plan on putting it.

If its going in a room with alot of windows and light, buy lcd, you will have a hard time seeing your plasmas with window reflections.

I can have a huge window wide open facing my lcd on a sunny day and there is still zero reflection and i can see it just fine.

If you buy a LCD, buy one with a high contrast ratio (15,000:1 - 25,000;1)

I just bought a 46'; Samsung lcd 1080P 15,000;1 contrast ratio and i love it. Has a gaming mode too to speed up the TV for your xbox or 360.

A790
04-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Dude, I'll be totally honest with you: as soon as you get that TV home and configured properly, either option will look DAMN good.

I'd get the one that has the better build quality, warranty, and reputation. Believe me, once you've got it at home and running it will look beautiful.

treg50
04-23-2008, 09:02 AM
It's hard to address exactly what you experienced.

You probably covered these bases but just to make sure:

1) were you at proper viewing distance?
3) both using identical cables?
3) both with the same video source (ie. same device, same image, etc.)?
4) both properly calibrated, etc.?

Besides that there are some really good LCDs and some not so good plasma, and vice versa some not so good LCDs and some good plasmas. Maybe that was a higher end LCD and a mid-level plasma.

Note the TV model numbers as well, and search for reviews of those model numbers online.

heavyD
04-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Plasmas produce better blacks, better overall picture and are best for darker rooms that don't get direct sunlight where the TV is mounted. Downside is that they aren't as reliable overall as LCD and cost more especially if you want 1080p resolution.

LCD's produce a brighter more vibrant picture but have worse black levels and the lcd's tend to cloud with age. They are generally more reliable and 1080p resolution is more affordable. Also are the best choice for a bright room with direct sunlight.

rc2002
04-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

I just bought a 46'; Samsung lcd 1080P 15,000;1 contrast ratio and i love it. Has a gaming mode too to speed up the TV for your xbox or 360.

Don't buy based on contrast ratio. The reported numbers aren't standardized and are usually only a dynamic ratio. I have a Samsung that's 25000:1 and it looks little better than a Sharp Aquos with 10000:1 or an XBR with 18000:1.

Plasma generates more heat and the brightness degrades with time. LCD's have really closed up the gap in the display of blacks. If you compare the above models with a Plasma, it's tough to notice much difference.

HyperZell
04-23-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Don't buy based on contrast ratio. The reported numbers aren't standardized and are usually only a dynamic ratio. I have a Samsung that's 25000:1 and it looks little better than a Sharp Aquos with 10000:1 or an XBR with 18000:1.

Plasma generates more heat and the brightness degrades with time. LCD's have really closed up the gap in the display of blacks. If you compare the above models with a Plasma, it's tough to notice much difference.

True. Contrast ratio is the worst way to compare models.

rage2
04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
If you don't have A/C in your house, plasma is bad news in the summers haha. It's like a space heater.

calgarys_finest
04-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

lcd have closed the gaps in blacks, but if anyone trys to say lcds last longer and dont break as much your out of your mind. i work in the service dept in a major electronics store and i see 10x the lcds that i do plasma. i prefer a plasma over a lcd in a bedroom but a lcd over a plasma in a larger open room.

canadian_hustla
04-23-2008, 09:55 AM
i own a 55" plasma, and read up on some problems with plasma TV's

the biggest is that 50% of them make a buzz/humming sound (changes intensity with different colors), something that is completely normal as it is based on the altititude and air pressure

I have heard that plasmas will operate better closer to sea level than above.

Also plasmas are known for better blacks and colors, LCD's are known for better whites.

Redlyne_mr2
04-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by rage2
If you don't have A/C in your house, plasma is bad news in the summers haha. It's like a space heater.
Probably the first real practical advice Ive read in these TV threads. Moving into a new condo next month and I was going to go plasma but not anymore. I imagine the plasmas use more energy as well.

Masked Bandit
04-23-2008, 10:12 AM
Lots of good replies so far.

It's a living room that the TV is going in with a large window right behind where we sit.

With that said, the plain CRT unit that we have now is a glass screen with reflection and I've never really noticed it before?

Anyone have any specific experience with Panasonic models? The guy at FS was pushing the Panasonic plasma with the reduced glare screen.

heavyD
04-23-2008, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
Lots of good replies so far.

It's a living room that the TV is going in with a large window right behind where we sit.

With that said, the plain CRT unit that we have now is a glass screen with reflection and I've never really noticed it before?

Anyone have any specific experience with Panasonic models? The guy at FS was pushing the Panasonic plasma with the reduced glare screen.

Panasonic and Pioneer are genrally recognized to produce the best plasma TV's.

likwid
04-23-2008, 10:19 AM
I have a Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma and love it. The blacks are true black, not dark grey like other tvs, and the colors are amazing as well.

Masked Bandit
04-23-2008, 10:30 AM
With this black thing, I actually found the opposite at FS. The black on the plasma looked dark grey and the LCD's looked deep black? What the hell?

HyperZell
04-23-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Masked Bandit
With this black thing, I actually found the opposite at FS. The black on the plasma looked dark grey and the LCD's looked deep black? What the hell?

Don't forget that stores calibrate sets to look their best in the store, which isn't necessarily reflective of how it will look in your house. Brightness, for instance, is usually turned way up.

Stonejaw
04-23-2008, 10:40 AM
Another thing to consider is that LCD's use quite a bit less power then Plasmas, so if your watching alot of TV it could affect your bill. But if you dont care about that then thats ok too. LCD's have advanced so much in the last few years and plasmas have done little. I mean Sony doesnt even really make Plasma anymore. The Bravias are all LCD's.

eglove
04-23-2008, 10:47 AM
also remember, plasmas have burn in issues still, so if you watch tv in 4:3 all the time. or all your dvd's are 2:2 rato you will have nice faded lines on the sides/top + bottom. or if you leave either a game paused, or live tv paused that will burn in to the screen

hedge
04-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Digital home recommends Plasma for anything over 42"

Here's the article: http://www.digitalhome.ca/content/view/1961/206/

googe
04-23-2008, 10:54 AM
i have a samsung 1080p lcd and a pioneer 720p plasma. the pioneer mops the floor with the sammy, hands down. when I get the pioneer back out of storage, the samsung is going in the office as a computer monitor :rofl:

people say blacks on LCD have come a long way, and they have, but they still suck.

and plasmas dont have burn-in issues anymore really. ive left mine on pause for a good day, saw some burn, but within another day it was totally gone. if you can find any trace of it you can have my TV.

analbumcover
04-23-2008, 12:17 PM

really?

god damnit!

actually come to think of it, i bought my plasma last summer and i didnt really notice anything, we'll see how it turns out this summer, might have to rough in an air conditioner into the game room :D

S4maniac
04-23-2008, 01:11 PM
I just picked up the 42" Panasonic from Costco. If you read up, you'll see they've added an antiglare that from my actually viewing experience, has solved the glare problem. My plasma is in a widows east room and I have no problems if I shut the vertical blinds. Its still bright in the room, but no glare problem.

Also, either way you go, Costco's return/repair policy is comparable to none. The Costco guy who helped me said he had just replaced a plasma sold 3 yrs prior because the remote was broken. I know the written is 1 year warranty, but the unwritten is substantially longer. Customer first.

arian_ma
04-23-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by googe
if you can find any trace of it you can have my TV.
Wow lol you should be a salesman!

Masked Bandit
04-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by S4maniac
I just picked up the 42" Panasonic from Costco. If you read up, you'll see they've added an antiglare that from my actually viewing experience, has solved the glare problem. My plasma is in a widows east room and I have no problems if I shut the vertical blinds. Its still bright in the room, but no glare problem.

Also, either way you go, Costco's return/repair policy is comparable to none. The Costco guy who helped me said he had just replaced a plasma sold 3 yrs prior because the remote was broken. I know the written is 1 year warranty, but the unwritten is substantially longer. Customer first.

Which model did you get? I was there on Saturday (South location) and I couldn't find the Panasonic with the anti-glare. It didn't make sense to me that FS was the only place with it.

GTS Jeff
04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
It really does come down to what you want out of the TV. I went with an LCD because my TV is in a bright living room with many windows and because at 42" LCDs are cheaper and quite reliable. That pretty much rules out a plasma.

gmarq
04-23-2008, 02:14 PM
if you can find any trace of it you can have my TV.

Well yeah, but... who wants a TV with burn-in?

;)

S4maniac
04-23-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm at work but I believe its the Viera TH-42PX80U. I bought 2 months ago for about 1299.

old&slow
04-23-2008, 05:33 PM
Britain banned plasmas due to power consumption!

JordanLotoski
04-24-2008, 12:22 AM
i have 4 panasonic Viera's Love everyone of them.....better pic then LCD imo

Redlyne_jr
04-24-2008, 12:30 AM
ya lcd man, it dont reflect as much as plasma and doesn't use as much power... lcd is think is a more general tv can be used for everything..

Bimmer88
04-24-2008, 12:43 AM
Not another one of these threads....

Okay most of you guys are concerned with Plasma's burning in...
Well yes they do burn in, and its caused by the lack of HD channels we currently have. I believe the worst for Plasma burn-ins are the Pioneer Elite.

And as for Panasonic their just wicked! The Viera group is the best in service, and Panasonic owns about 60% market shares right now for selling their LCD's and Plasma's that's why they are so focused on customer care. Its #1 for sure.

Really it comes down to personal preference what type of tv you want, and why you want it, and what to use it for?

Their all pretty much bad in a sense with panel problems, and they all have their own independent issues like Sony with clouding problems... However, that being said their all great TV's. And how much you willing to spend? lol It might even be worth wild to get extended warranty too if you plan on keeping your tv for more than 2 years. Just a thought, don't want you to be bringing it in for service. Goodluck.

JNeil
04-24-2008, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Don't forget that stores calibrate sets to look their best in the store, which isn't necessarily reflective of how it will look in your house. Brightness, for instance, is usually turned way up.

Not true (at least at FS), Future shop takes it out of the box and turns it on they do not mess with the settings..

Keep in mind when purchasing that plasma's are affected by burn-in and are not ideal for excessive gaming.. However they do have a much faster refresh rate than LCD so if you're into sports in a dark room it's a no brainer.. Plasma

If you are in a bright room LCD is the only way to go

Oh and panasonic does not make LCD's, just to clarify... Nor does Sony make plasma

GTS Jeff
04-24-2008, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by Bimmer88
Not another one of these threads....

Okay most of you guys are concerned with Plasma's burning in...
Well yes they do burn in, and its caused by the lack of HD channels we currently have. I believe the worst for Plasma burn-ins are the Pioneer Elite.

And as for Panasonic their just wicked! The Viera group is the best in service, and Panasonic owns about 60% market shares right now for selling their LCD's and Plasma's that's why they are so focused on customer care. Its #1 for sure.

Really it comes down to personal preference what type of tv you want, and why you want it, and what to use it for?

Their all pretty much bad in a sense with panel problems, and they all have their own independent issues like Sony with clouding problems... However, that being said their all great TV's. And how much you willing to spend? lol It might even be worth wild to get extended warranty too if you plan on keeping your tv for more than 2 years. Just a thought, don't want you to be bringing it in for service. Goodluck. Oh fuck, you again with your useless shit?

This is a thread about plasma vs LCD, not about warranty. You had to shit all over my thread last month with your warranty shit...now you're gonna do it again? Bitch please...

bashir26
04-24-2008, 04:20 AM
Plasmas were old before they even came out. Go with a LCD TV. Samsung or Sony. Futureshop has a really good 40'' Sony for sale right now at $1000, it has a 120hertz refresh rate. Its a good TV.

Now between 1080i vs 1080p you wont tell the difference on a 42inch. 720p vs 1080p unless your super close (which is unhealthy) I doubt you'll tell the difference. If your going with a 60+inch screen 1080p is worth it. But in the 40's range go with 720p-1080i-1080p, I know you wont be able to tell the difference.

Good luck!

GTS Jeff
04-24-2008, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by bashir26
Plasmas were old before they even came out. Go with a LCD TV. Samsung or Sony. Futureshop has a really good 40'' Sony for sale right now at $1000, it has a 120hertz refresh rate. Its a good TV.

Now between 1080i vs 1080p you wont tell the difference on a 42inch. 720p vs 1080p unless your super close (which is unhealthy) I doubt you'll tell the difference. If your going with a 60+inch screen 1080p is worth it. But in the 40's range go with 720p-1080i-1080p, I know you wont be able to tell the difference.

Good luck! Plasmas have their advantages...better refresh rate, wider colour gamut, and better blacks, but they carry the disadvantage of burn-in, glare, and not being as bright as LCDs. So they are the best choice in a dark and dedicated small home theatre with no windows and if you don't game. But as a regular TV in a bright room, used for gaming or hooked up to a computer like me, I'd pick an LCD any day.

But I agree about the resolution...I think the difference is noticeable if you view them side by side or if you play something back to back, but the truth is that all HD content looks amazing on a smaller screen. I've got a bunch of 720p and 1080p stuff here and they all look great. I have a 42" 1080p LCD and I sit about 11 feet away.

The shittiest thing about 1080p content is how long it takes to download. Even though I've got a 1080p TV, I usually look for 720p stuff because it is a much smaller download.

soupey
04-24-2008, 05:20 AM
only "real" problem ive seen with plasma is the fact that it burns in on the screen after a while, but most newer plasmas have pixels that shift colour, its barely noticeable unless you look really closely, so burn in is reduced greatly, still doesnt help for people who watch 4:3 tv, just have to live with cutoffs from zoom or stretched images til everything switches to 16:9

r3cc0s
04-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Personally, if you want a TV to end all TVs until OLED takes off...

buy a Pioneer Elite, unfortunately only from Soundsarounds...
By far the contrast levels/black levels are superior and doesn't require as much digital enhancement to allow for speed & clarity.

won't burn in, as the elite series will move the picture 1-3 pixels around at any given time, so you won't see this self protect feature

LCD... cheaper, but if you're look at the same caliber of TV such as an XBR or the latest Samsun, you're in the same balpark
The 120hrtz chip & image stabilizing... makes everything look like it was filmed off a camcorder
It limits the flow and softness of film.. but looks great for sports (but still not Pioneer Elite good)

Apparently Elite is going to outsource their pannels next year, so you'd have to jump on the latest gen

Or... buy a cheapo LCD from Costco (viewsonic) for 1k and use it till OLED comes out

OLED is amazing technology, and should not be priced where it's at presently. It should technically be cheaper to produce.

heavyD
04-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Plasmas were old before they even came out.

What's your point? CRT is older yet and it produces a better picture and black levels than either plasma or LCD.

bashir26
04-24-2008, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

What's your point? CRT is older yet and it produces a better picture and black levels than either plasma or LCD.

your right 480p ftw

googe
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
if youre scared to play games on a plasma, you dont deserve to have a tv. way too many people with opinions on here that have never owned the products they try and be experts on :rofl:

and plasmas are plenty bright still in a bright room. you guys make them sound like they go in basements. just dont have them facing a window that the sun is in and you're fine.

analbumcover
04-24-2008, 09:06 AM
if youre scared to play games on a plasma, you dont deserve to have a tv. way too many people with opinions on here that have never owned the products they try and be experts on :rofl:

and plasmas are plenty bright still in a bright room. you guys make them sound like they go in basements. just dont have them facing a window that the sun is in and you're fine.

werd my plasma tv is actually pretty close to a window and i havent had any problems with glare, not to mention its mainly used for gaming and no problems with burn-in to date. ive left the tv on for hours on end without and difficulties.

Sure an LCD might look a bit better when the sun shines through the blinds, but its not like plasmas have to be in a dark room to be useful

HyperZell
04-24-2008, 09:08 AM

your right 480p ftw

Idiocy ftw as well, apparently. His point was that just because the technology has been around for awhile doesn't make it bad. So everyone should buy LCD because it's newer? That's just terrible logic. New does not necessarily = better.

heavyD
04-24-2008, 09:21 AM

your right 480p ftw

I am right about my comment on CRT's as well as you being a tool.:thumbsup:

bashir26
04-24-2008, 12:07 PM

I am right about my comment on CRT's as well as you being a tool.:thumbsup:

Didn't know that before. I just read it.sorry.

Bimmer88
04-24-2008, 01:33 PM
Jeff I'm just trying to warn buyers of these flat panel problems. Like you said this thread is about LCDs and Plasmas SO I addressed that. And yes I know it's getting annoying with me shitting bricks about warranty... but really you'd be surprised how many ignorant people everyday saying "@#$%^&* about Samsung, Toshiba, Panasonic etc..." because they only work for a year blah blah blah... and I wish I had gotten extended warranty blah blah blah...

So really I'm just trying to protect the interest of consumers and if you don't want to take my advice then fine. Don't read my stupid posts about warranty since your not interested, and don't say shit about it but be a man and ignore it. BECAUSE its probably helping someone else out.

Now... this will be my last post about warranty. Simple as that, so i hope your happy.

heavyD
04-24-2008, 03:06 PM

Didn't know that before. I just read it.sorry.

No problem.:thumbsup:

NP Aaron
04-27-2008, 08:46 PM
I have a Pioneer plasma and a Samsung LCD. I have them in positions where I can view both at the same time between rooms while standing in our hall. The plasma has the better picture forsure with more vibrant colors and deeper blacks.

gtr34
04-28-2008, 11:10 AM
why not wait for OLED?

HyperZell
04-28-2008, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by gtr34
why not wait for OLED?

Because not everyone wants to wait.

rc2002
04-28-2008, 11:45 AM
OLED is going to be ridiculously priced at the beginning until there are several companies that break into the market the cost for mass producing them becomes cheaper.

heavyD
04-28-2008, 11:58 AM
why not wait for OLED?

OLED isn't even out yet and the first sets are going to be in sizes smaller than 30". It could be up to four or more years until they are available in sizes close to 50". How long are you planning on waiting?

Masked Bandit
04-28-2008, 03:50 PM
What's OLED?

Schwa
04-28-2008, 04:31 PM
Organic Light Emitting Diode

dino_martini
04-28-2008, 04:46 PM

OLED isn't even out yet and the first sets are going to be in sizes smaller than 30". It could be up to four or more years until they are available in sizes close to 50". How long are you planning on waiting?

OLED is out. But its a Sony 11'' screen. $2500 bucks. Its 3mm thick though, sexy stuff.

gtr34
04-29-2008, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

OLED is out. But its a Sony 11'' screen. $2500 bucks. Its 3mm thick though, sexy stuff.

the Sony Store has it on display, its pretty thin and expensive.

Masked Bandit
04-29-2008, 05:47 PM

the Sony Store has it on display, its pretty thin and expensive.

Thin and expensive eh? Sounds like a super model.

R-Audi
04-30-2008, 08:41 AM
So after going thru all of this... anyone have any hookups or work at FS/BB etc
Or anyone have any suggestions on a TV? Looking to spend under 2k... and the bigger the better. (I've seen a few 50" that meet my price constraint .. Samsung.. Panasonic..LG Etc)

hoamic11
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
If your looking for a plasma, soundsaround has last years panasonic's on for a great deal, i think it was around $1300 for the 50" (50PX75) and the 42" was around $1000 when I was in there last week.

R-Audi
04-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Here are the best pices I have found from looking online:

LG 50PC5D $1560
LG 50PG20 $1684

Samsung PNA450 $1698
Samsung HPT5054 $1388 (expires today)

Panasonic TH50PX75 $1388

And most were at Visions... while the Pan was at BB.

Thoughts between the two listed at $1388??

redline
04-30-2008, 10:08 AM

:werd:

My 70" SXRD sony produces crazy heat, by the end of a movie the room is atleast 5 degrees warmer!!!

mikestypes
04-30-2008, 10:17 AM
I am extremely happy with the Sharp Aquos 1080p we got a few months back.

hoamic11
04-30-2008, 10:41 AM
Between the 2, for $1388 (TH50PX75 & HPT5054)

The only differences that i see from the specs is that the Samsung has a contrast ratio of 15000:1 compared to the Panasonic at 10000:1.
Both are not 1080P, they are both HDTV panels, so really it's down to your preference on looks.

IMO, I would go with the panasonic.

HyperZell
04-30-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by mikestypes

Most people seem to be.

I work at Memory Express, and we've recently started carrying Sharp. I'm very happy with that as those TVs absolutely rock. While we're not always about having the lowest price, we do pride ourselves on having the best customer service and the best after-sales support, where we replace instead of fix TVs.

I've helped out a few Beyond people already, and if anyone is interested in a high-quality Aquos, feel free to PM me. I am flexible on price, but the best thing is knowing that you're not going to get jerked around. And remember, sometimes you get what you pay for - the TVs with the lowest price might sometimes end up having the highest cost.

R-Audi
04-30-2008, 02:34 PM
^PM Sent!

GTS Jeff
04-30-2008, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Most people seem to be.

I work at Memory Express, and we've recently started carrying Sharp. I'm very happy with that as those TVs absolutely rock. While we're not always about having the lowest price, we do pride ourselves on having the best customer service and the best after-sales support, where we replace instead of fix TVs.

I've helped out a few Beyond people already, and if anyone is interested in a high-quality Aquos, feel free to PM me. I am flexible on price, but the best thing is knowing that you're not going to get jerked around. And remember, sometimes you get what you pay for - the TVs with the lowest price might sometimes end up having the highest cost. :werd: While I did not buy my TV from him, Hyperzell is a stand up guy.

R-Audi
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
How important (or how much of a difference) is 120hz refresh rate as opposed to the regular 60?
Will I notice a big difference on HD between the 2 with for example a hockey game??
(More so, enough to warrant spending extra cash??)

clem24
05-07-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by teggypimp95

100% marketing BS. What you are quoting is dynamic contrast. This is not the true contrast of an LCD. There is not a single LCD that has better than, I would think 1600:1. Look again at your specs. It's probably closer to 1200:1. And even that's pushing it (measured specs will show even considerably less). Compare this with a true contrast of a plasma at 10,000:1. The new panasonics are claiming 1,000,000:1.

Basically, for image quality, you need a Plasma with a good scaler. And don't fall for the 1080p myth. Sure more pixels is nice, but processing (i.e. scaling) and contrast (i.e. black levels) can have a huge impact on image quality. To test this, put a 50" Pioneer elite 720p set beside a Panasonic 1080p set. You'll find that you can't tell the difference.

Also, black levels and good contrast, as well as processing are more important than resolution.

Having said that, I still think LCDs are the way to go. Burn in issues and power consumption.

I personally don't feel 120hz is justified. It's all processing. There are currently no 120hz sources. I have no idea how the TV processes it, but LCDs just don't flicker. Back in the tube days, 60hz would cause flickering. But all LCDs (like computer monitors) are 60 and don't flicker. But the point is smoother motion. THe reason being that movies are usually recorded/encoded at 24fps. A 60hz TV would use it's 3:2 pulldown circuitry to fit it it's 60hz. But because 120 is an even multiple of 24, it's supposed to be able to show movies more fluidly. I don't know. I think that's the theory behind it. Go see for yourself. Compare a 120 and 60 and see if it's smoother, though beware, as salespeople might fuck around with the lesser TV's settings to make it worse than it is.

If you want a superb deal on a very highly rated TV, get the 47" Olevia 747i from tigerdirect.ca for $1199 (still selling for $1999 at the source). But tigerdirect.ca sucks, and service is through Olevia USA. It supposedly has one of the best processors on the market. If you want Plasma, get anything Panasonic or Pioneer. If you want cheap Plasma, Walmart is selling a 720p Sanyo for $999. Can't beat that! And someone else mentioned it here... on HD, just about any screen looks good. It's the SD content that really makes a diff. And when shopping, look for black levels. I.e. blacks should be black, not gray, and when properly set, should show detail instead of being a big clump of black.

My 2 cents.

Kamen
05-08-2008, 02:33 AM
Originally posted by mikestypes

:werd: I'm going to pick up a 42" Sharp Aquos myself for the new place. Friend has one, playing PS3 on it, amazing. :thumbsup:

rage2
05-08-2008, 07:36 AM
Originally posted by clem24
Basically, for image quality, you need a Plasma with a good scaler. And don't fall for the 1080p myth. Sure more pixels is nice, but processing (i.e. scaling) and contrast (i.e. black levels) can have a huge impact on image quality. To test this, put a 50" Pioneer elite 720p set beside a Panasonic 1080p set. You'll find that you can't tell the difference.
If you can't tell the difference, you have some shitty 1080p material. Or bad eyes.

clem24
05-08-2008, 11:09 AM

If you can't tell the difference, you have some shitty 1080p material. Or bad eyes.

At normal viewing distances, screens 50" and under will be hard to tell. But at 3 ft in front of the screen, of course it'll be noticeable. But my point is, resolution is usually the last factor in determining image quality. Contrast and black levels come first.

eglove
05-08-2008, 11:14 AM
i bought a samsung PN42A450 42" plasma the other day. i'm enjoying it quite a bit.

blu ray and gta4 look fantastic on it.