PDA

View Full Version : Gasoline in Diesel?

Speedy
04-23-2008, 09:08 PM
I have a bit of an unusual problem, I volunteer with a small volunteer ambulance service and we just picked up a used ambulance, its a 1996 Ford E-350 7.6L Power Stroke Turbo Diesel when we first test drove it, the the truck was running great and had half a tank of fuel but we picked it up it would hardly run and has progressively got worse by the time we got it to our storage yard to the point that we had a hard time going above 40km/h.

It was a hot the day we test drove it and cold the day we picked it up and it had been sitting for a while so our first thought was that the fuel had gelled and we tried some anti-gel which made no difference. We have a mechanic that volunteers his time which did the initial test drive and inspection and didn't find anything really wrong with the unit the only that has really changed is that someone has but filled the tanked with fuel.

So I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions or experience with gasoline mixed with diesel (as this is our working assumption) until we find out what type of fuel is in it we haven't run it, although it pretty much wont start now.

Also anyone pumped out a fuel tank without removing the tank? We do have access to a hoist but moving this behemoth is kinda cost prohibited as its fair distance from our shop right now and because of the weight it requires a special tow truck.

Eleanor
04-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Siphon?

CelicaST-162
04-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Are you sure there's gasoline in the fuel tank? Usually with diesels you are more concerned about water getting into the fuel system. If there's a drain plug, drain it all out...with the drain plug out add some new diesel from a Fuel station you are confident with. Leaving the drain plug out while you add a little bit will "flush" it. Be sure to put a new fuel filter on it while you're there, and you might be able to flush the lines out by priming the fuel system...but that part I am not entirely sure.

Speedy
04-23-2008, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Siphon?

Yeah, I did think of that but because its an ambulance the tank holds around 120L I have some friends that work with Haz Mat that can dispose of it..I just need to get a hold of a 50gal barrel or 2

Speedy
04-23-2008, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162
Are you sure there's gasoline in the fuel tank? Usually with diesels you are more concerned about water getting into the fuel system. If there's a drain plug, drain it all out...with the drain plug out add some new diesel from a Fuel station you are confident with. Leaving the drain plug out while you add a little bit will "flush" it. Be sure to put a new fuel filter on it while you're there, and you might be able to flush the lines out by priming the fuel system...but that part I am not entirely sure.

if this weather ever lets up, I can get out to the storage yard and I am going to try and take a sample from the tank to see.

I am just wanted to see if anyone here has had a any experience with diesel vehicles accidentally running on gasoline or a gasoline mixture. Goggle didn't have much but did relay some of the problems we were having.

Ashers
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Diesel engine don't like gasoline. It tends to make them very angry. However, it usually doesn't cause too much damage. I'd drain the tank, and fuel filter, and refill with nice fresh diesel. Also throw in some lubrication treatment (Howes Diesel Conditioner? for example), as the new low sulphur diesel has less lubrication than the old stuff. Thats the main difference between it and gas is that diesel can lubricate, and the firedeck temperature are different.

Here they test this exact circumstance http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ0DwF9dJSs

I find the best way to test for gas is a match, pour some in a dish, and throw a match at it. Diesel won't burn ;)

Speedy
04-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by Ashers
Diesel engine don't like gasoline. It tends to make them very angry. However, it usually doesn't cause too much damage. I'd drain the tank, and fuel filter, and refill with nice fresh diesel. Also throw in some lubrication treatment (Howes Diesel Conditioner? for example), as the new low sulphur diesel has less lubrication than the old stuff. Thats the main difference between it and gas is that diesel can lubricate, and the firedeck temperature are different.

Here they test this exact circumstance http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ0DwF9dJSs

I find the best way to test for gas is a match, pour some in a dish, and throw a match at it. Diesel won't burn ;)

Thanks! that's almost exactly how its acting...

Rufer
05-06-2008, 07:35 AM
Yes you can pump out the tank without taking it off. but its better if you do take it off. I'm a petroleum contractor and we are not allowed to have more than .5% gasoline in Diesel fuel if we switch products. This doesn't mean that more than that will damage your engine. Some oil companies have completed studies and say that 50% won't damage your engine. Can't say I would recommend that but that's what we are told. So go by a cheep barrel pump at your hardware store and pump it out change filters and put new fuel in and you should be good to go.

Speedy
05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
We were able to get access to the drain underneath and draw a sample off and there was a strong smell of gasoline in the diesel, no idea what % but my guess would be 25% to 50%.

With the help of a mechanic we managed to drain the tank on site, all 110L of it and he took it to his dealership to dispose of.

Thanks everyone for you help!

craigcd
05-06-2008, 12:34 PM
I have seen this happen before, i think it ended up costing a chunk as the vehicle needed new injectors and some other misc parts. To boot it voided the warrantly on a new truck. Hopefully it wasnt mixed to strong and everything is fine.