PDA

View Full Version : 2009 GTR.. buying one from the U.S?

Freebs
04-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I was thinking today. Because the U.S is clearly going to be receiving more GTR's then Canada as well as sooner, I am wondering if it would be possible to buy one from down there when they come out and bring it back to Canada and still be able to have it registered? Since we will be getting them eventually?

Any one know if or how this would work?
I have been contemplating selling off my cars (considered selling the bike but I don’t think I could go that far ahaha) and purchasing one of these. But I have been following up on another post on here about the GTR, and from what every one is saying Calgary is going to see maybe 1 the first year they come out and if they are any thing like my dads C6 Z06, here in Canada it was almost $25,000 more then in the states

boxer23
04-24-2008, 12:41 AM
You end up paying more for one in the states...because its in such high demand...I personally think there will be more than 1 in Calgary...call some major Nissan dealers in Canada, see if they can get you one...If you find one in the states @ MSRP, you will pay more for one than in Canada, because of importation costs.

Weapon_R
04-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Nissan has already announced the Canadian pricing, and its about 10k more here than in the U.S. By the time you pay taxes/duties and shipping, you'll end up paying the same amount.

Freebs
04-24-2008, 12:47 AM
Well like i was saying about the Z06, we would have saved say even $15,000 with the canadian doller being better then the U.S dollar at the time and the cars just being less down there, if we would have gotten one from the states even after the taxes... That was also on a high demand car (at the time)..

But I may just have to make some calls and see if i can get any info from the major Nissan dealers here in town..

Originally posted by Weapon_R
Nissan has already announced the Canadian pricing, and its about 10k more here than in the U.S. By the time you pay taxes/duties and shipping, you'll end up paying the same amount.

it also depends on what shape our dollar is in... this past year when our dollar was at its best.. even after paying the taxes to bring it over the border it still worked out to be a fair bit cheaper (depending on the car)

B20EF
04-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Don't wait until the end of summer, TD bank is rarely wrong about the exchange rate :thumbsup:

jdm_jspec
04-24-2008, 01:54 AM
i think there will be only 4 in Calgary, my insurance agent told me the other day when i was renewing some stuff.
interestingg....but im not sure if its that easy to get one.

funkedelic
04-24-2008, 02:06 AM
Trading in the sunfire gt for the nissan gtr?

boxer23
04-24-2008, 02:18 AM
Originally posted by funkedelic

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anyways I bet that F-body could burn ur M3
err before it breaks down

funkedelic
04-24-2008, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by boxer23

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

anyways I bet that F-body could burn ur M3
err before it breaks down

you mean the j-body? in a straight line sure!

heavyD
04-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Is your dad buying you the car as the twincharged J-body may be just enough to put a downpayment on a GTR and the bike may pay for the GTR's first service. You should probably own your own house (you may already but I have the feeling you don't) before you get aspirations of owning a GTR.

IMO the first few years of the GTR will be bought up by major high rollers. I think it's a great car but more rare than most real exotics.

T78Supra1
04-24-2008, 08:28 AM
I contacted all Three Dealers in Calgary, To put a Deposit on one and this is what I found Out.

Every Dealer is Only Getting 3 GTR's, For the first Year.....
Then Once you put your deposit down you will be put on a list this is not a first come first serve, so it doesn't matter if you are first on the list or 10th.

Then Once they are on the shipping boats , Nissan Canada will Contact you to conduct an interview.
So this means if you are first on the list and have never owned a nissan you are not likely to get one. But if you currently have an nissan and your wife has a nissan and you are 10th on the list you have a greater chance of getting one.

A buddy of mine at brasso told me that nissan is known for this with every new sports car, they apparently did the same thing when the 350z first came in and now look how many there are.

Nissan is in it to make money, once nissan discovers that they have the potential to out sell the chevy corvette in North America this will be the most played out Skyline, they will be in the trader for 30,000 by 2011.

So from what I read anyway the ZR1 is the car to get. At least you can put after-market wheels on the ZR1 without the car throwing a code.

heavyD
04-24-2008, 01:22 PM
[i]

Nissan is in it to make money, once nissan discovers that they have the potential to out sell the chevy corvette in North America this will be the most played out Skyline, they will be in the trader for 30,000 by 2011.
[/B]

The GTR will never outsell the Corvette in North Americal.

benyl
04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
The difficulty with the GTR is that is a ricer boy's dream car. Most people that can afford one do not know about it as they don't play GT or watch the F&F.

Everyone knows about the Corvette. Also, with cars like the SRT-8 Charger coming out and the new Camaro, many of the potential buyers in the 50-60 age range will be going back to their domestic muscle car roots.

When was the last time you saw a 50 year old guy pimping around in his 1992 RHD Skyline GTR because he thought it was such a bad ass car?

Eleanor
04-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by benyl
Everyone knows about the Corvette. Also, with cars like the SRT-8 Charger coming out and the new Camaro, many of the potential buyers in the 50-60 age range will be going back to their domestic muscle car roots.

When was the last time you saw a 50 year old guy pimping around in his 1992 RHD Skyline GTR because he thought it was such a bad ass car?

I don't think that's the market Nissan is going for, I think they're going more for the affluent 30-40 year olds. There was a lot of this demographic drooling over the GT-R at the car show, as well as some older guys.

adam c
04-24-2008, 02:04 PM
from what i understand
the canadian GT-R is getting more and better options than the american version
Nissan canada won't honour the warranty on the american versions

me&you
04-24-2008, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by adam c
from what i understand

The Canadian-spec includes Nav and Bose. My understanding is that the only choice you make for Canadian GTRs is the colour combo.

There are Canadian GTRs available for premiums over the MSRP. There are also US GTRs available, but the premium is much larger and eclipses the Canadian pricing (including premium) by a wide margin.

Freebs
04-24-2008, 07:56 PM
Trading/selling all the same thing, it is fun to drive now that every thing is changed out/upgraded but it was my high school/first car and I am looking to upgrade and among the GTR as one of the options I have been looking at M5's, G35's, 98-02 F-bodies ect…But I also want something I can use winter and summer and still have room for 4 people (thought about an STi but my girl friend bought one so I cant copy ahah)

Originally posted by heavyD
Is your dad buying you the car as the twin charged J-body may be just enough to put a down payment on a GTR and the bike may pay for the GTR's first service. You should probably own your own house (you may already but I have the feeling you don't) before you get aspirations of owning a GTR.
IMO the first few years of the GTR will be bought up by major high rollers. I think it's a great car but more rare than most real exotics.
ahah wow you get life advise and car advise all in one post :P I like this..
I hate how people automatically assume just because your younger and looking to buy or have a nice car that "daddy" bought it for you.
But thanks it’s me that is looking to buy it and have already talked to the parents about it and they think it would be a good car to step up to as it would be fine to drive all year round and it’s already basically “modified” from the factory and has most of the stuff I want in a car right from the get go and the main part is it will be reliable ahah as a car that starts with 150hp which now has 450hp isn’t the most reliable car to be driving daily. The Sunfire was my first car back at age 16 and I had my fun with it, got it to a nice power level and now I am ready to move on, so please explain to me what’s wrong with that?

This will be my daily all year round driver, so its not like I will have a winter car and this one, and to me I don’t see any thing wrong with that.
As far the house goes, either this year or next I will be purchasing one with my G.F and my buddy/ his G.F, just not here in town. I am looking to buy one where I plan on opening up and starting my shop. So thanks for the advice on life there “dad” but I got it under control.
And sure its going to be mainly a “high rollers” car with Calgary receiving so few, that is why I am looking into if it is possible to buy from the states and bring it back up here. But I can easily list of 10-15 people around me who are not all that much older then me that are driving around in $80,000 to $125,000 cars which are paid for by them. This isn’t the 70’s or 80’s any more. Just take a look around this summer at all the drivers of these high-end cars and I will bet that a lot more now days are between 25-30yrs old. Hell there was a guy in my high school when I was in grade 11 and he was in grade 12 who had his own business and owned not only his own place but a brand new M5, who is now a multi millionaire only a few years after high school. My point is just because I am young, has nothing to do with me owning a higher end car.

you mean the j-body? in a straight line sure!
Probably wouldn’t be to hard in a straight line, not trying to be cocky just saying it does move damn quick considering the weight to power ratio, but even with the custom suspension set up and every thing I have put on my car, the BMW would walk away from me in the corners. Not to mention I would still rather have slower BMW over this car. Not saying I hate my car, just as I have said it was my first car in high school, it was fun at the time and still is but its time to move on/up and get into something different. And sure being around my parents higher end cars and driving them fairly often probably has something to do with my want for a higher end vehicle. But you only live once so what’s the point in hording your money?

The GTR will never outsell the Corvette in North Americal.

That is true. And I am not sure if its because the ZR1 is coming out or what, but I have noticed on a lot of the corvette forums there are more and more C6 Z06's going from any where from $55,000 right down to $45,000 U.S

Originally posted by adam c
from what i understand

Yea see that was one of the things I was worried about and was going to check into. Which defiantly would be a deal breaker for me.

soloracer
04-25-2008, 01:09 AM
If you were buying one from the US you also have to consider that financing may not be an option. I don't know of any US lenders willing to finance a Canadian. I also don't think you could trade a Canadian car at an American dealership. So basically you would be looking at an all cash deal.

On top of that what modifications are needed to make a US GTR legal in Canada? I don't think that RIV has determined that yet or if they will even allow a US model in the country.

For the record I phoned a dealer in Calgary and was told the wait list is 60 deep so the odds of getting one here are piss poor. I asked about the Vspec model too since they won't be available for at least a year and was told they aren't taking orders for them yet. Like everything else in life, getting one is probably going to come down to who you know.

Freebs
04-25-2008, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by soloracer
If you were buying one from the US you also have to consider that financing may not be an option. I don't know of any US lenders willing to finance a Canadian. I also don't think you could trade a Canadian car at an American dealership. So basically you would be looking at an all cash deal.

On top of that what modifications are needed to make a US GTR legal in Canada? I don't think that RIV has determined that yet or if they will even allow a US model in the country.

For the record I phoned a dealer in Calgary and was told the wait list is 60 deep so the odds of getting one here are piss poor. I asked about the Vspec model too since they won't be available for at least a year and was told they aren't taking orders for them yet. Like everything else in life, getting one is probably going to come down to who you know.

Yea that’s kind of the same thing I got when I called some dealerships today. Which is kind of what I figured as its the same thing when I tried to get my name on the list for a new Camaro.
It might also come down to waiting for some one to sell it a few months after they get it, as it could be the same thing as the C6 Z06's... we were on a waiting list for a year but there were a few that popped up for sale right after they got them for various reasons. And I guess it wouldn’t be all bad going that route, it would be slightly cheaper and still basically brand new still.

me&you
04-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by Freebs

Yea that’s kind of the same thing I got when I called some dealerships today. Which is kind of what I figured as its the same thing when I tried to get my name on the list for a new Camaro.
It might also come down to waiting for some one to sell it a few months after they get it, as it could be the same thing as the C6 Z06's... we were on a waiting list for a year but there were a few that popped up for sale right after they got them for various reasons. And I guess it wouldn’t be all bad going that route, it would be slightly cheaper and still basically brand new still.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

If you think any GTR that is for sale "a few months" after they come out are going to be cheaper, you'll be driving that sunfire for a loooong time.

Let's see, if every dealership is getting even 5 (doubt it will be that many), that's 20 cars for Calgary. Most dealerships seem to have waiting lists over 50, so there are approximately 200 people on the list for one. Not to mention all the "monied" people who aren't on the list, but will want one because it's the flavour of the month... that's not a recipe for steep depreciation.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if I were you Freebs, I'd start looking for a different car; you've missed the boat on getting a GTR for a while...

Euro_Trash
04-25-2008, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by me&you

you've missed the boat on getting a GTR for a while...

+1

As far the house goes, either this year or next I will be purchasing one with my G.F and my buddy/ his G.F, just not here in town. I am looking to buy one where I plan on opening up and starting my shop. So thanks for the advice on life there “dad” but I got it under control.

Why not use the money and buy a house all out, instead of splitting a house 4 ways?

benyl
04-25-2008, 08:57 AM

Wow this is a recipe for disaster.

I thought things were bad when my friend bought a house with another friend. I can't imagine all the trouble splitting it four ways.

Do you have a contingency plan for when shit hits the fan? What if buddies GF breaks up with him and wants to move and get her part of the equity?

If you are bling enough to buy a GTR, you should be bling enough to afford the house on your own. And don't buy it with your GF until she is your wife. Even then, there are no guarantees.

It is quite clear that you need "dad's" advice unless of course "dad" is going to bail you out when everyone moves out and you are stuck with the mortgage yourself.

I have said this many times on this forum because it is good advice. Buy a house first, then buy a car.

stunta666
04-25-2008, 10:38 AM
Buying a house with buddies will be the worst mistake you'll make. You guys might be a tight group of buddies now but i'll bet you once you live together it'll go to shit. You can ask any home owner on here about experiences with letting friends rent a room and i'll bet you'll get the majority of them telling you not to. The good thing with renting is you can kick them out whereas when you all own WTF are you gonna? Buying one with that many people at this stage in your life will not work. Talk to your dad and if he has any sense he'll tell you the same shit. Rent a house for a month and you'll see what were talking about. Your gonna start to hate little things about each other or even better you'll end up sleeping with each other's girls. :dunno:

JRSC00LUDE
04-25-2008, 11:03 AM
Wow this is a recipe for disaster.

:werd: If you go ahead with a plan like that, you'd be well served to have a pretty iron-clad contract drawn up that covers every sort of contingency you could imagine. Shit can, and will, happen with that kind of arrangement.

I was just talking last night with a friend who bought a vacation cabin 4 years ago on some island out off the B.C. coast with a good friend of 20 years.

They aren't friends anymore.

heavyD
04-25-2008, 11:14 AM
I have said this many times on this forum because it is good advice. Buy a house first, then buy a car.

I agree completely but it's pretty sad how many young people are so willing to shell out $50K+ for a depreciating asset while renting and paying someon elses mortgage. You end up losing equity while increasing someone elses.

Aleks
04-25-2008, 11:27 AM
Nissan is conducting interviews for this car? :rofl: :rofl: :banghead:

Do you have to be good at Gran Turismo to pass?

benyl
04-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Aleks
Nissan is conducting interviews for this car? :rofl: :rofl: :banghead:

Do you have to be good at Gran Turismo to pass?

I have been playing GT5 every night. Maybe they will let me buy the car?

stunta666
04-25-2008, 12:12 PM

I agree completely but it's pretty sad how many young people are so willing to shell out $50K+ for a depreciating asset while renting and paying someon elses mortgage. You end up losing equity while increasing someone elses.

It is extremely sad to have a nice ride and rent but if it weren't for people like that a lot of us with rental properties would be SOL. Sorry benyl i'm gonna have to go against you and say buy a car you can barely afford and just rent, That's how the real ballers roll!:D

Jlude
04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
I spoke with the local Nissan dealer here in Pleasanton, they're only getting 2 GTR's this year 1 is going to the owner and the other to some guy who paid 50k (so they say) over sticker price.

Anyways, that's just what I was told, and I'm sure that it's gonna be typical situation around here. He never said anything about an interview to get one.

analbumcover
04-25-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
I spoke with the local Nissan dealer here in Pleasanton, they're only getting 2 GTR's this year 1 is going to the owner and the other to some guy who paid 50k (so they say) over sticker price.

Anyways, that's just what I was told, and I'm sure that it's gonna be typical situation around here. He never said anything about an interview to get one.

50K over sticker? God damn - probably a stupid rapper lol

Jlude
04-25-2008, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by analbumcover

50K over sticker? God damn - probably a stupid rapper lol

Yes, 50k over sticker.

Hahaha they wouldn't say who it was, I don't even think the guy telling me knew who it was.

rc2002
04-25-2008, 01:07 PM

Yes, 50k over sticker.

Hahaha they wouldn't say who it was, I don't even think the guy telling me knew who it was.

Pretty sure Nissan will be reviewing that case:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/207108/how-gt-r-will-be-sold-to-public/]

whiskas
04-25-2008, 01:13 PM
The difficulty with the GTR is that is a ricer boy's dream car. Most people that can afford one do not know about it as they don't play GT or watch the F&F.

That's why it's one of the first cars to feature antiricer DRM. Even small things like a CAI trip the CEL. There's even a picture in the manual telling you not to put a bodykit on it.

Jlude
04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Pretty sure Nissan will be reviewing that case:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/207108/how-gt-r-will-be-sold-to-public/]

If it's even true, this is just what one of the sales managers told me.

C4S
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM
U r going to buy a GTR, and wanna be cheap??

You should laugh if you can get one at MSRP .. I asked all nissan .. all sold out .. ( but .. who know, may be some people will cancel, but do u think Nissan is that dumb to sell you at MSRP? )

$85K cad .. $70K US .. we are talking almost no diff, and I am sure Nissan USA won't allow any US dealership to sell them to Canada ..

Do you think American love us??

I called many car dealers in the US, once they know I am Canadian .. they don't even want to deal with me ..

Uness your brother is living in US, and he will buy a GTR for you, ( 9.5% state tax, 2-3% gas tax .. bluh bluh bluh .. ) then it will cost you more then $100K .. ( even u buy that in MSRP )

It costed me $1.06 cad to buy $1 US last week .. :dunno:

Freebs
04-25-2008, 04:00 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

If you think any GTR that is for sale "a few months" after they come out are going to be cheaper, you'll be driving that sunfire for a loooong time.

Let's see, if every dealership is getting even 5 (doubt it will be that many), that's 20 cars for Calgary. Most dealerships seem to have waiting lists over 50, so there are approximately 200 people on the list for one. Not to mention all the "monied" people who aren't on the list, but will want one because it's the flavour of the month... that's not a recipe for steep depreciation.

Hate to burst your bubble, but if I were you Freebs, I'd start looking for a different car; you've missed the boat on getting a GTR for a while...

Well if its any thing like the C6 Z06's there were a number of them up for sale right after they came out.. and alberta only gets aprox 15-20 a year.. so I would say your slightly wrong on that point. And I dont mind driving the sunfire for longer.. like I said im just looking at getting into something else right now... its not like i NEED to get into another car

soloracer
04-25-2008, 11:28 PM

Well if its any thing like the C6 Z06's there were a number of them up for sale right after they came out.. and alberta only gets aprox 15-20 a year.. so I would say your slightly wrong on that point. And I dont mind driving the sunfire for longer.. like I said im just looking at getting into something else right now... its not like i NEED to get into another car

The 15-20 number has got to be a mistake. I see more C6 Z06's here than you can imagine. My boss just bought one and in the show room there were two more just like his for sale. He didn't have to put his name on a list either. He just walked in and made a deal for it. So if one dealer has sold 3 by itself all in the space of a week there has to be more than 15 allocated to all of Alberta. Where did you get that number?

I have a feeling that the GTR is going to much, much harder to acquire than a Z06.

Ashkente
04-25-2008, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by T78Supra1
Every Dealer is Only Getting 3 GTR's, For the first Year.....

The salesguy I talked to said the same thing. However, he said that there is a waitlist (with deposits) long enough to have them sold out for 2.5 years (I guess based off their initial production schedule?) All very informal, but this is what I was told.

me&you
04-26-2008, 10:00 AM

You sure did see them for sale right after they were released, but did you notice the price? C6 Z06s, in the "pre-owned" market, stayed well above MSRP for quite a while. Sure you can get one now, but the car's been out since late 2005.

soloracer
04-26-2008, 10:05 AM

You sure did see them for sale right after they were released, but did you notice the price? C6 Z06s, in the "pre-owned" market, stayed well above MSRP for quite a while. Sure you can get one now, but the car's been out since late 2005.

I may be slightly wrong, but I'll also be driving a GTR in June...

At the dealership the Z06 is now selling below MSRP. The list on my co-worker/bosses car is over $100k and he paid a little over $80k for it. I think the Z06 production numbers are higher than what the GTR will be. Now the ZR1 is a whole different story. Try getting one of those.

me&you
04-26-2008, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by soloracer

At the dealership the Z06 is now selling below MSRP. The list on my co-worker/bosses car is over $100k and he paid a little over $80k for it. I think the Z06 production numbers are higher than what the GTR will be. Now the ZR1 is a whole different story. Try getting one of those.

Solo, can you edit out the part I erased from my post from your quote please?

That was exactly my point. Of course now the Z06 will be below list, as I'd expect the GTR to be in 2 1/2 years. The whole contention of my original post was Freebs thinking he could just wait a couple months and buy a "used" one for a deal... not gonna happen.

The ZR1 will be the current version of the Z06... Hot hot hot (= expensive/over list price) and then, not not not (= normal 'vette depreciation).

me&you
04-26-2008, 10:32 AM

I've heard many similar cases with US dealers (non-Nissan) paying $30,000 over MSRP in an attempt to flip the car for even more... Especially in California, I can see this happening all summer.

A790
04-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Dude, I get where you're coming from with the GTR, but you need to sort your shit out first. Buying this car while you live at home makes no sense, and if you don't have a garage, you shouldn't have this car.

I mean, I'm in your exact shoes. I'm young, I make a lot of money (self-made), and I have a lot of disposable income. But you also need to plan ahead man- you're going to pay $100K+ for a GTR right now no matter where you get it from, and at the end of the day, what the hell for?

Why not wait it out for a bit, maybe buy a car that won't cost you fuckloads in car payments and insurance payments (insurance companies are going to LOVE that you're young with a 450HP semi-exotic, by the way), and maybe figure out your priorities.

Buy a house first, car second, lest someone remove the car from the equation for you. But, then again, we all know that you'll do whatever the fuck you want to in the end.

Originally posted by C4S
U r going to buy a GTR, and wanna be cheap??

You should laugh if you can get one at MSRP .. I asked all nissan .. all sold out .. ( but .. who know, may be some people will cancel, but do u think Nissan is that dumb to sell you at MSRP? )

$85K cad .. $70K US .. we are talking almost no diff, and I am sure Nissan USA won't allow any US dealership to sell them to Canada ..

Do you think American love us??

I called many car dealers in the US, once they know I am Canadian .. they don't even want to deal with me ..

Uness your brother is living in US, and he will buy a GTR for you, ( 9.5% state tax, 2-3% gas tax .. bluh bluh bluh .. ) then it will cost you more then $100K .. ( even u buy that in MSRP )

It costed me $1.06 cad to buy $1 US last week .. :dunno:

Funny, it only cost me $0.99 to buy $1USD this morning :P