PDA

View Full Version : Where can I fit a fuel cell under here?

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 09:53 AM
In order to run at our track with my meth. injection, I need to do the following:

"well first for the meth injection you need a proper tank. it has to located on the opposite side of the flywheel bellhousing side of the car. all fuel tanks must have a pressure cap. and the tank must be vented to the outside of the body. non metallic fuel tanks must be grounded to the frame.

all non oem fuel lines must be metallic, steel braided, or nhra excepted woven or woven pushlock.
it is mandatory that lines passing supercharger drive belts be steel braided, or woven or woven push lock., or be enclosed in a steel tube with a 1/8 inch wall thickness."

This info. is from the head safety tech. of our strip. Lines are obvious, but what kind of tank can I use and where the hell would I put it?

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l147/JRSC00LUDE/DSCN1858.jpg

Supa Dexta
04-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Any room behind the headlight/bumper before the wheel well?

I'd prob try to stealth it, using the washer fluid res. But you'd have to hide the lines well.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta
Any room behind the headlight/bumper before the wheel well?

I'd prob try to stealth it, using the washer fluid res. But you'd have to hide the lines well.

Right now I am using the washer res. I never thought to ask if I could also use that location for a fuel cell haha. Guess I should inquire about that one, thanks for the suggestion.

I thought about going stealth, but I really want everything to be above board. I don't really like cutting corners with the car at all. :dunno:

BrknFngrs
04-24-2008, 11:28 AM
What about relocating your battery to the trunk to make more room upfront? I would think that would be one of the easiest ways to make room.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 11:34 AM
^

I thought about that, but it didn't seem that easy. When you do a proper relocation, where would you mount it and how do you vent it to atmosphere etc.? It seemed troublesome and somewhat expensive?

97'Scort
04-24-2008, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
^

I thought about that, but it didn't seem that easy. When you do a proper relocation, where would you mount it and how do you vent it to atmosphere etc.? It seemed troublesome and somewhat expensive?

Get a sealed battery, like an Optima Red Top or Yellow Top. They're approved for mounting inside the car, as they are gel cells and don't boil. You can mount them upside down if you feel like it :)

I'd say battery relocation is your best bet.

If you absolutely need to vent a conventional battery, put a vent hose through a grommett behind the quarter panels.

Edit: And for doing a proper relocation to the trunk, I'd go buy a battery holder with a top clamp from Princess auto, then tack weld it to the floor of your trunk, probably to the side so it's out of the way. A couple of carpeted pieces of MDF later and you'll never know it's there.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Thank you!

EDIT: Shit. that won't work for me. Battery is on the same side of engine bay as the flywheel bellhousing...... :(

mazdavirgin
04-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Don't you have to put a kill switch on the side of your trunk if you move the battery to the trunk?

Destinova403
04-24-2008, 12:45 PM
damn our engine bays suck... if the battery doesnt work what about moving your fuse box inside the car and putting it there? i really cant think of anywhere else.

snowboard
04-24-2008, 12:47 PM
put a hood scoop on the hood, then place it attached to the under side of the hood, and the scoop would be functional cooling the methanol before it is injected.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by snowboard
put a hood scoop on the hood, then place it attached to the under side of the hood, and the scoop would be functional cooling the methanol before it is injected.

:confused: Huh? How does that help my situation? :rofl:

97'Scort
04-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Well, then, I think your only option would be here (see pic). Relocate that tank (power steering fluid tank?) elsewhere and put it behind the light.

snowboard
04-24-2008, 12:53 PM

:confused: Huh? How does that help my situation? :rofl:

well the reservoir could be "in" the hood scoop, so out of the way...

:D

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 12:58 PM
^

Thinking outside the box I see!

TomcoPDR
04-24-2008, 04:07 PM
Any room underneath the windshield cowl.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:09 PM
^

I don't think so, it's pretty tight for space all around. I may have to look into the rules around having a trunk-mounted fuel cell. :dunno:

kokanee27
04-24-2008, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR
Any room underneath the windshield cowl.
now thats thinking outside the box right there, plus it will then be incredibly easy to vent the tank to the outside,
but other then this the only practical location would be behind the driverside headlight

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:13 PM
I can have a closer look at the windshield cowl, but the washer fluid reservoir is behind drivers side light.....

TomcoPDR
04-24-2008, 04:17 PM
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r95/Tomcompany/DSCN1858.jpg

Or put a reservior where your intake would be... and then elborate on "Snowboard"'s idea of a functioning hood scoop like the WRX with the I.C., a sealed airbox when you shut the hood.

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
The cowl I will look into, but the other part:

"it has to located on the opposite side of the flywheel bellhousing side of the car. "

kokanee27
04-24-2008, 04:20 PM
/\ he already said the tank has to be away from the flywheel, and the intake runs right over top of the tranny

by the way how big of a reservoir tank are you going to be needing?

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:21 PM
^

Well, the bigger the better so I don't have to refill it as often.

kokanee27
04-24-2008, 04:29 PM
what if you swapped to a civic half radiator, and build a somewhat beefy reservoir beside the rad,
will that be far enough away from the flywheel?
heres a quick pic of a half rad
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/c61lude/suspension/enginebay.jpg

Toms-SC
04-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Assuming your using the snow kit just get a trunk mount kit

Supa Dexta
04-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

How does that fit any of their rules?

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by kokanee27
what if you swapped to a civic half radiator, and build a somewhat beefy reservoir beside the rad,

Is that yours? Nice tuck job. How does the cooling go with a half rad setup? Also, what's the approx. cost of doing it? I'm not really looking to break the bank just to have a track-approved meth kit. I don't really want to spend more than 3 or 4 hundred on this pita....

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Toms-SC

It is snow, got a link? Didn't see anything like that on their site.

kokanee27
04-24-2008, 04:41 PM
no, that's ludetech's lude on preludepower,
i know its a dualcore radiator, thats about all i know,
i do know its not costly, basically the cost of the radiator will be about $100, and i don't believe its hard to install,
pretty sure there's a write up around somewhere

rc2002
04-24-2008, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by kokanee27

Half Rad might work, but the A/C condensor is full sized so you might have to lose A/C, and that's definitely not desirable. I don't remember how much space there is inside the bumper cover, but you may be able to fit something in there.

Sort of off topic, but JRSC have you ever gotten flak for your throttle cable? I almost failed tech a couple of times because of it.

BTW, who's car is this?

They should really check the passenger side shock mount - looks to be missing some nuts. And why go to all the trouble of a wire tuck and then mount the HID ballasts so ghetto?

JRSC00LUDE
04-24-2008, 04:53 PM
No, what was the throttle cable problem for you?

rc2002
04-24-2008, 04:54 PM
They didn't like the additional mounting bracket because of the blower. Something about it not being spring loaded anymore. I think they were worried that throttle might get stuck open.

Supa Dexta
04-24-2008, 06:29 PM

It is snow, got a link? Didn't see anything like that on their site.

Mine can be mounted in trunk, all it is is longer line (rubber/plastic) and the little white tank, which was originally a generic plastic coolant tank, even the cap says coolant on it...

RUQUIKR
04-24-2008, 08:12 PM
My understanding is you can mount the tank inside the vehicle if your running meth/watr 50/50. The only time the tank would be required outside or to be vented is if you are runnig 100% methanol. I personally just mounted mine at the back of the hatch. Do you have stainless lines or just the vinyl ones it comes with?

theken
04-24-2008, 09:23 PM
run it in the trunk, seems simple to me, then you can have as big of a tank as you want

ls/vtec-crx
04-25-2008, 12:00 AM
relocate your windshield washer bottle to the trunk and put the tank in behind the bumper. that's what alot of guys do for battery relocation but on the opposite side for civic's and integra's.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ninjaek4/crx006-3.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ninjaek4/crx003-5.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/lmgrcivic/carwash017.jpg

so yeah just like that but on the oppsosite side.

JRSC00LUDE
04-25-2008, 08:29 AM
From what I can ascertain, our track seems to be the only one deciding to have a major issue with water/meth. injection. They insist it is a fuel source equivalent to race fuel and must have a fuel cell that meets all the regs.

This is the most recent email I received from them when asking about locating it in the trunk:

"if you put a fuel cell in the trunk you need to have a bulkhead to separate the fuel cell from the driver
compartment.. it has to be made from steel that is at least .024 inch thick, or aluminum that is at
least .032 inch thick. the bulkhead has to be completely sealed so no fuels can possibly leak
into the drivers compartment. no fuel lines are allowed to be in the drivers compartment.
if the bottom of the fuel cell sticks below the trunk floor it has to be shielded by the either
.024 steel or .032 aluminum.

the fuel reservoir has always had the same regulations that are in the book today.
all the info i have quoted you is in the 2008 nhra rule book. under general regs. 1:5
pages 62 and 63.
we do not use the sport compact rule book as this is a street legal event and it is clearly
written that street legal events use the summit racing series. which this is stated on page 14
of the 2008 nhra rule book."

They are making it difficult which makes no sense since pretty much every street legal car out there has a windshield washer tank full of washer fluid that is 50/50 water meth. Last year, the only problem was having braided lines, this year they decided you need a fuel cell. The stupid thing is there's a few guys who have been running water/meth in talons/eclipses there for 5 or 6 years without any problems and all the sudden last year it became a major safety violation to have it.

This track seems to have a redneck bias against imports and they just don't seem to want them out there. Even when you listen to the announcing, a 12.5 run from an import is a "pretty good time", while a 13.5 from a supercharged mustang is "tearing up the track, you sure don't see that very often!!!!" kind of thing.

Euro_Trash
04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by ls/vtec-crx
relocate your windshield washer bottle to the trunk and put the tank in behind the bumper. that's what alot of guys do for battery relocation but on the opposite side for civic's and integra's.

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ninjaek4/crx006-3.jpg

http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i186/ninjaek4/crx003-5.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j97/lmgrcivic/carwash017.jpg

so yeah just like that but on the oppsosite side.

This is exactly what I was going to say too. :thumbsup:

RUQUIKR
04-25-2008, 08:41 AM
I assume if I'm just using water these rules don't apply, only methanol?

Euro_Trash
04-25-2008, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by RUQUIKR
I assume if I'm just using water these rules don't apply, only methanol?

I would think you are fine