PDA

View Full Version : Tunerability of Corolla????

DJ Lazy
08-16-2003, 10:35 AM
Hey..
I was just doin some looking around at cars that would be possibilities for my next, and I was just curious how tuner freindly the 96 Corolla is??
Any input would be awesome...

Akagi Redsuns
08-16-2003, 11:11 AM
If by tunerability you mean if you can get more power and decent handling....then forget it. The Corolla is a FWD economy car..what do you expect? To get it you have to spend a lot of $$$ and after all that it's base is still a Corolla.

Sykes
08-16-2003, 11:14 AM
AE86 (84-87) or AE92 (88-89) are your best bets if you really want to mod a Corolla. Oh... and make sure they're the GT-S models, not the SR5

DJ Lazy
08-16-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns
If by tunerability you mean if you can get more power and decent handling....then forget it. The Corolla is a FWD economy car..what do you expect?

Umm i do believe that Acuras, Honda, and Volkswagons (to name a few) are FWD economy cars, and you see people tuning them everyday... :dunno: I could be wrong..

Akagi Redsuns
08-16-2003, 12:33 PM
In terms of the Civic SiR, VW Jetta/Golf, Acura RSX and the like....I classify them as "sporty" cars....aka, the manufacturer puts some "sport" into them in terms of handling and power. It's easier to build on when the manufacturer of the car helps out.

Too bad the 1996 Corolla has none of that. Like Sykes mentioned, I think the only Corollas that had any sport to them are the 4AG AE86s. High revving motor, RWD, balanced and light wieght....nice package.

Speed_Dreams
08-16-2003, 01:21 PM
True the SIR's and GTI's and RSX's are sporty cars...but what about the people that buy the base model Civic hatch?? and they tune it.....thats just a economy car with good gas milage.

You can probably do anything with a corolla that you can with a civic. yes it takes money , but exactly how much do you think people spend on show winning cars. Come on.

with a corolla you have a toyota parts bin that rivals the honda/acura parts bin.
you have the 3se-gte engine you have TRD , Tom motorsports. If you do a corolla Mad props to you man for doing something a little different and not seen everyday

thich
08-16-2003, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Akagi Redsuns

Too bad the 1996 Corolla has none of that. Like Sykes mentioned, I think the only Corollas that had any sport to them are the 4AG AE86s. High revving motor, RWD, balanced and light wieght....nice package.

the 4AG AE92s can hold their own too... especially the 4AGZE AE92s. (north america never got them... just swap the motor)
86's werent the only corollas with 4ags.
only difference really is that the 92s were FF and different body design...
now if you do up a 92... THAT would be interesting. very few of those running about that are nicely done.
add an lsd, modify the suspension a bit - then you'd have a pretty nifty autoX car

three.eighteen.
08-16-2003, 02:12 PM
some kind of jdm engine swap...gze or 20v, corolla engines are relatively cheaper compared to engines in higher demand, ie honda b-series, nissan sr20 etc...and since its already a fwd chassis...you dont have to do any crazy manifold modification, or peripheral relocation (or at least less of it when compared to putting those engines in a ae86)

and best of all 4 door 96 corolla has one of the most boring and inconspicuous looks ever...sleeper anyone?

thich
08-16-2003, 02:21 PM
but like u said... a 96 corolla has one of the most boring and inconscpicuous looks ever... just looks gross.

three.eighteen.
08-16-2003, 02:39 PM
heh...what would you rather have? ugly and fast, or pretty and slow?

thich
08-16-2003, 03:05 PM
lol. good point.

el-nino
08-16-2003, 03:06 PM
personally a 96 corrolla has super potential. If u want it faster there are places to check out. My bro has a corrolla and although it aint as pretty as some of the rides on this thread, u might be surprised in how fast it will be. Plus, there are some bodykits that are clean and nice and are worth getting. and yes engines are a lot cheaper and probobly as equaly efficiant as a SIR engine so really there are many possibilities to this car and is no way in anyway boring and inconspicuous if the right things are done to it IMO