PDA

View Full Version : Review: Flight Deck

Spoons
04-24-2008, 09:47 PM
Yes there is another thread about it, but I am making this one for purely personal review and any others that people have. The other thread is full of too much other stuff.

First off I will state my background on the Restaurant business. I have worked at two line cooking style restaurants, and one fine dining restaurant, all for a lengthly period of time. So yeah, I know a little about how a restaurant is run.

Straight forward, for those who wish not to read, horrible. I will never return. I have been there three times, so I think I have got a handle on the place to review it finally.

Service - Absolutely horrible. It seems as though have just hired a bunch of kids still in high school (which they have, I know most the girls in there, who were a grade below me in high school). We waited a good twenty minutes before even being helped, and on that trying to get the waitress for help was near impossible. When she brought the food there was no napkins or utensils, and when she gave me a new cup of water, she just left the old one there. Didn't take it for the whole time I was seated. When it was time to pay, part of it was on debit, other in cash. She took the cash and just walked away. Didn't come back for 10 minutes and I then stated, "Yeah kinda like to pay the rest of it now." Brutal.

Food - Horrible, but not as bad as the service. I have eaten there three times, like stated above.

First dish I ordered was one of there Asian dishes or whatever they call it. It was cold in certain parts, and get this, it tasted EXACTLY how a porta-potty would smell like. That is the best I can explain it.

Second dish I ordered was the surf and turf (steak with prawns). They have AAA steak's, which I knew they were, but it was the biggest waste of a AAA steak I have ever tasted. The first steak that came out wasn't any where CLOSE to medium-rare, but more over cooked to shit, and I asked them to take it back. The second steak was ok, but nothing amazing. The prawns all though crisp, tasted stale.

Third dish was tonight. Me and a friend got a combo platter of appetizers. I figured it would be safe, as it is a fucking easy dish to make. Brutal. Most horrible wings I have ever tasted, they were little to no cheese on the nachos, and the French fries were not cooked all the way through. I mean honestly, I can make that dish with my eyes closed. It is NOT a dish you screw up.

General - Ok now heres the part I was really blown away by. I was left with my jaw hanging. After the meal tonight I paid the waitress (gave her a 15% tip she did NOT deserve) and told her I will probably not be eating here again. She said if the meal was bad she should of told her and I wouldn't of had to pay (I didn't care, coming off from work, I was hungry, I was not about to reorder or what not). I then said I come from three different restaurants, and the food was horrible. I did not blame her at all, I just simply suggested new cooks (I know they are all kids back there).

This is what she told me. She said, "Well you did order the worst dish, I mean it was all fried food!" I couldn't believe it. I said, "Firstly, you do not tell your customer that he was completely wrong, secondly fried food is one of the most EASIEST dishes ever. Everything should be good at a restaurant, not just certain dishes. If it is bad, take it off the menu. I mean I could of went to McDonalds for some fried food and it would of tasted better." I was completely astonished on what she said. She just replied with a, "Whatever." At that point I then said, "Let me talk to you manager." She kinda muttered, "Well hes not in..." (Bullshit). I wanted my tip back so bad, but I just bit my tongue and walked off. You do NOT say whatever to a customer. My old boss (Claudio at Il Gallo Nero down on 17th) would of slapped her straight out of the fucking restaurant for that.

Overall - Absolute triple A shit. I will not return, and I surely do not recommend it to anyone else. Either they pick up their fucking act, or I can see business dropping drastically. I am just mind boggled on that response from the server though. Unbelievable.

ricescream
04-24-2008, 09:52 PM
I was thinking about going with a group of friends, but this review def. makes me what to take a second thought about that.

Rat Fink
04-24-2008, 09:53 PM

ecstasy_civic
04-24-2008, 10:01 PM
We went for the flames game the other night, and yes the service sucked, the food wasnt that bad, but at least the waitress was nice lol

I was in the lounge with the piece of paper menu lol ill probably go back to try it again, IMO the placement of the tv's sucked, its a cool idea but a pain in the ass.

other than that, 5/10

LadyLuck
04-24-2008, 10:04 PM
to be honest, Ive been there twice (both hockey nights) and it was busy as shit. I was with a group of 5 people and we were served within the first 5 minutes.

They only had appys and we had some nachos, they were pretty good. Our waitress came around every 10 minutes to make sure everyone had enough drinks and made sure the table was cleaned up every single time. I have a friend working there but she wasnt working that night so i did not know this girl at all.

It sucks that you had a bad experience there but keep in mind that they are not officially open for business yet and that they are just testing new ground here. sure the folks workin there might just be kids (dont doubt it) but as long as you do your part and let them know that you were dissatisfied with the service, perhaps they will make the right change before the "official grand opening".

I will be going back again, not sure when, hopefully after they have officially opened for business and see if the service has changed.

I have been to plenty restaurants/bars that have had terrible reviews from people, and have left very satisfied. I guess it depends on the night and whos working, cant always have the best service i guess (which u should):)

just my 0.02

philip1985
04-24-2008, 10:28 PM
I've been to the Flightdeck now three times. It's a fun place for hockey games, the atmosphere was great. Although the service can be touch and go.

The first two times we went we had great service, both the lounge and the restaurant. The waitress was great for drinks and was really friendly. The last time we went which was game 7 of the Flames game, the waitress was less to be desired. We had to constantly flag her down for drinks, thing is usually I don't complain when it's busy, but the place was dead 2 hours before game time. She just didn't seem interested.

As for the food, it's alright nothing fancy I suppose. Worst thing to get is probably the pizza, it was way undercooked and the toppings all fell off when you tried to eat the thing. We ended up having to use a fork and knife which is so sad. I found the wings alright too along with the nachos. The sandwhiches there are pretty good, but the burger from what my friend says it needs a bit more seasoning.

Overall I think this place can do well, but some things have to turn around. I hear they're getting more tvs up in the lounge which will make things better. Also last time we went one of the owners were there and it was awesome, he was pissed out of his mind. Anyways, we'll give this place a few more tries and go from there.

Spoons
04-24-2008, 11:24 PM
Oh don't get me wrong, they have so much potential. When I talked to the server, I was simply saying something to help out. You can have young kids cooking for you, but you need decent sous and head chef to do that.

I was trying to give them advice to make their place better, and what pissed me off is I just get a rude response from the server.

Being a new restaurant isn't really much of an excuse. They are not really testing new waters as they are not much different than a Joey's or anything, they just need people in there that know what they are doing, which they don't. Bartenders are awesome though! If I go back, it will be up at the bar, but no food lol.

But until I hear a damn good review, I won't be back.

On the other note I heard Rat Fink comment on a good review. If people like them I will definitely start writing more of them up here. I enjoy food a lot, and generally eat out a lot at different places, and know my way around a plate.

dj_rice
04-24-2008, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the tip Spoon :thumbsup:

Since you are pretty good at this review thing, can you do one on Tangerine

Spoons
04-25-2008, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Thanks for the tip Spoon :thumbsup:

Since you are pretty good at this review thing, can you do one on Tangerine

Never been to Tangerine to be honest. A few of my friends go there but I've never asked how it is. I will make an effort to go there soon and post up a review.

I am considering going back at some point to Flight Deck just to actually talk to the manager. When a server just mutters whatever to you, I take that as one of the rudest things you could do. Yes I am a 19 year old, averagely dressed, and don't look that important, but I know my way around food, and certainly does not mean I can be treated with disrespect.

dj_rice
04-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Spoons

Never been to Tangerine to be honest. A few of my friends go there but I've never asked how it is. I will make an effort to go there soon and post up a review.

From the reviews on the net, and from a friend who had her birthday there couple weeks ago, its pretty bad but I wanted your input

Spoons
04-25-2008, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice

From the reviews on the net, and from a friend who had her birthday there couple weeks ago, its pretty bad but I wanted your input

Yeah I will try and head down there this week... I need a new hobby, and I love food! :D

icecreamvan
04-26-2008, 10:42 PM
Don't waste your money at Tangerine. At least review places that people would actually want to go to.

P.S. The Met Grill downtown has some pretty hot ass girls.

bigbadboss101
04-26-2008, 10:53 PM
Went to Flight Deck on Friday night and wait was about 40+ minutes. Had a quick look at the place and then went to T&T for some quick Chinese food. So, will have to try again another time. It will be good when the decks are open though. Pretty nice view.

jahobo
05-01-2008, 06:43 PM
can i just ask, how long has this place been open for business???

i keep hearing give them a break their still not really open.

well ive worked for and knew a couple or restaurant owners who also had soft openings..... and well they ranged from 1 week to 10days and everything was fixed and ready for the grand opening.

by the sounds of these they're not really open excuses, a year later this play will finally be open or closed without a real opening

Ajay
05-01-2008, 07:20 PM
I'm supposed to go there tomorrow for a bday party. Hoping it's not as bad as the original review.

Guess I'll find out tomorrow.

dragonone
05-01-2008, 07:27 PM
ur review sounded so convincing, i wish i could write about situations i had, but i've deemed them a waste of time since ppl here have no expectations

to add to this review, i've had similar or even worse service (latest at Fiore Cantina Italiana) in many restaurants in the past year. don't know if this has anything to do with our economic boom. never had service like these in cities like vancouver.

/rant

Kaos
05-01-2008, 09:17 PM
That's why you got across the way and go to Tpot for some cheap chinese foo hahaha

ecstasy_civic
05-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
That's why you got across the way and go to Tpot for some cheap chinese foo hahaha

lol is it good? I drive by most days and always wonder:rofl:

lint
05-02-2008, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by ecstasy_civic

lol is it good? I drive by most days and always wonder:rofl:

Food is decent but I wouldn't say it's cheap. At least not compared to chinatown.

ecstasy_civic
05-02-2008, 04:02 PM
whats "cheap" then lol

dinglenuts
05-04-2008, 09:53 AM
went to flight deck last week, really cool atmosphere, a couple of tight young girls working there (but of course, 16 yrs old) ok service, food was crap. I see this as a nice place for a couple beers after work, or before dinner, especially with that kick ass patio, but for a great meal out, i'd definately go elsewhere. I had the smoked meat sandwiche with yam fries, was just meat on bread, no condiments, fries were super greasy, my wife had steak sandwich, it was a steak cut in 1/2 down the middle and grilled open faced, cooked way over done. Won't be going back for food. Also the portions were small i thought.

natejj
05-04-2008, 10:08 AM
Why would they open... but not do it right? A "test run"? They are losing all their customers before they even "open". Sounds like this place will have to close, get all new staff, before you could convince me to go and give them my $$. Good review.

copynpaste
05-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Flight deck is in harvest hills right? I never even knew they were open. I thought it was gonna be some office.

Ajay
05-05-2008, 05:36 PM
I was there on Friday. Wasn't that bad. We didn't eat there, just has a few drinks.

I liked their selection of beers but they aren't cheap. Service could have been a little better. Could tell that our waitress was pretty new but really no complaints.

It was pretty busy on Friday night.

stunta666
05-05-2008, 05:47 PM
Hopefully they crack the whip on the staff and tell em all to smarten up. That patio should be deadly on a nice day, but with all this negative feedback they might not even make it for summer. There was a review of that place in the sun and even that guy got screwed the first time there.

ecstasy_civic
05-13-2008, 05:27 PM
Was there the other night for a bite to eat, and suprisingly, considering how busy it was, everything went smoothly. Good service, pretty good food and no complaints.

:thumbsup:

403Gemini
05-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Was there the other night for a bite to eat, and suprisingly, considering how busy it was, everything went smoothly. Good service, pretty good food and no complaints.

And how was the talent? ;)

ecstasy_civic
05-14-2008, 07:24 PM
no complaints.

:rofl:

Except the one who kept eyeing me up, I thought Christine was gonna throw down:rofl:

dezmarez
05-21-2008, 06:02 PM
gave it another shot
things were ten times better than before
service was awesome
food was decent
and they had a band playing

cloud7
06-22-2008, 05:09 PM
I was there a month back. The food was ok. The place was loud and it was tough to carry out a normal conversation without yelling. A waitress dropped a plate full of beer and drinks when I was there. Parking was terrible, as it was on a Friday night.... I imagine that people will have to park on the street during peak times of the year.

liquidboi69
06-22-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
I was there a month back. The food was ok. The place was loud and it was tough to carry out a normal conversation without yelling. A waitress dropped a plate full of beer and drinks when I was there. Parking was terrible, as it was on a Friday night.... I imagine that people will have to park on the street during peak times of the year.

Parking can't be that bad..... even during saturdays noon times... where it goes like CHINA TOWN there I can even find parking... so I doubt you can't find any

black13
06-22-2008, 09:06 PM
Was there last monday. I like the looks alot and our waitress was pretty good and apologized several times as there were a couple loud drunk girls making alot of noise but we didn't mind.

There was a band too but I think they were too loud to carry out a conversation.
Food was pretty good too.

But of course with any new type of business, its going to probably take a while to get everything perfect but I see this place becoming huge in the future.

Spoons
06-22-2008, 09:27 PM
Well I went back on friday. I can say service did get better... girl was pretty good looking and flirted with me the whole time :D

Food was a little bit better, not a whole lot, but decent at least. She did take for ever to get out our bill though.

I did enjoy just going with the pals for beers though, they have a huge selection of beer.

UndrgroundRider
06-22-2008, 09:39 PM
I've been to the Flight Deck a lot. I live just across Harvest Hills Blvd and could literally throw a stone at it.

Compared to the next best thing (Woody's), Flight Deck is a diamond in the rough. It takes time to establish and train good staff, and they'll get better over time.

For pub fare, the food is not bad. The beef dip there is REALLY good. The pasta dishes are also fairly good. I know the menu is very hit or miss, but that's inevitable when any type of pub/restaurant starts up. They're gonna be experimenting with a lot of different things and figuring out what works and what doesn't.

A lot of the bad reviews have to do with the clientele the place attracts. It's more of an upscale joint (compared to Woody's) and that attracts lots of yuppies that are wound way too tight. Dealing with these kind of people is where the staff really need to learn that the customer is always right. As the age old saying goes, a satisfied customer MIGHT tell a friend or two, but a dissatisfied customer will tell ALL of his friends.

The one complaint I do agree with is how loud the live music is. I took a prospective client there for some drinks after work last week. Once the band started, carrying on a conversation was impossible. I won't make that mistake again.

SR20B13
06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I live right near Flight Deck it as actually pretty Decent. The Service is a little slow, and the staff is not quiet Knowledgeable. the food is Good and not cheap like stated above. Beer is not cheap either. awesome place tho to catch up with old friends and have a few drinks. and the girls that go there and work there are not too bad either pretty decent lol

cloud7
06-27-2008, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by liquidboi69

Parking can't be that bad..... even during saturdays noon times... where it goes like CHINA TOWN there I can even find parking... so I doubt you can't find any

Not Chinatown bad, but it was like Christmas/Boxing Day bad at the mall. Circulated for 10 min to find an open spot. Enough said.

GingeRRRBeef
06-27-2008, 09:41 AM

Not Chinatown bad, but it was like Christmas/Boxing Day bad at the mall. Circulated for 10 min to find an open spot. Enough said.

I don't understand why people are crying about parking. Stop being a lazy fat ass and walk a little.

avow
06-27-2008, 10:32 AM
the good:
really nice place
tons of tvs
SOO many different beers
live music or djs from time to time
really good food
mainly good looking staff

the bad:
expensive (beer mainly, food is ok priced)
you are always looking way up to see whats on the tvs if you are on the main floor
the crowd there seems to be a little bit older
the staff either dont come by enough or you get harassed by 4 different waitresses because no one knows what they are doing
parking could be a bit better on friday nights (not that big of a deal)
it is a little too loud on fridays saturdays to the point where you are just yelling to try and talk to the guy beside you
last time i was there a cougar grabbed my dick, i screamed, and ran out of there at mach 10.

overall its not a bad place. the facility is amazing and i find the food really good. If I am in the area and looking for a good place to eat and have a drink thats where I would go.

shakalaka
06-27-2008, 11:21 AM
We went there on Wednesday night. It was basically empty as it was around 1 we went there. Not for the food or anything, just for drinks. Wasn't too bad for that I suppose. Liked the atmosphere of the place though, it's really different than the rest. It's a good looking place that is for sure.

The_1
06-27-2008, 11:38 AM
been there a two times
both times the service was great....the food is okay
but they do show the ufc fights so its better then driving all the way to melrose
best thing is they charge you 10 bucks a person to watch the fight upstairs but give you a ticket that you can use to pay your bill worth 10 bucks

Skyline_Addict
06-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by avow

last time i was there a cougar grabbed my dick, i screamed, and ran out of there at mach 10.

lol wtf

cloud7
06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by Silver_SpecV

I don't understand why people are crying about parking. Stop being a lazy fat ass and walk a little.

Wow, unprovoked comment like this is so typical of some of the insecure posters on Beyond. Read my lips buddy. When I said no parking I mean no parking anywhere in the entire parking lot. Have you been there during a busy time?? Maybe you are the lazy fat ass that double park all the time and blocks other people's cars. FYI, I am not lazy nor am I fat. I always like to park far away from anyone else but when there is no parking (I mean no open parking stalls), it doesn't matter if you "walk a little" you still won't find a stall.

Schwa
06-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Hey if you guys need overflow parking best bet is the church that is kitty corner to that plaza. It doubles as a park and ride during weekdays so I doubt they would have a problem with it.

shox
06-27-2008, 05:26 PM
Horrible service and food! Good choices in drinks but other than that it's crap

GingeRRRBeef
06-27-2008, 10:33 PM

Wow, unprovoked comment like this is so typical of some of the insecure posters on Beyond. Read my lips buddy. When I said no parking I mean no parking anywhere in the entire parking lot. Have you been there during a busy time?? Maybe you are the lazy fat ass that double park all the time and blocks other people's cars. FYI, I am not lazy nor am I fat. I always like to park far away from anyone else but when there is no parking (I mean no open parking stalls), it doesn't matter if you "walk a little" you still won't find a stall.

Look big man, you're not the only ones that's been complaining about the lack of parking.

What do you consider flight deck's parking lot? It extends pretty far if you ask me; past TnT, past the Vietnamese restaurant. So how you can say there are no fucking parking spots. I fail to see how parking has any effect on the quality of the restaurant. But then I realized bitches just like to complain about everything.

dezmarez
07-12-2008, 02:38 PM
went to beddington driving range and they were giving away one free drink at flight deck with purchase of large bucket
pretty good idea if you ask me because i had more than one drink haha

BigShow
07-12-2008, 02:49 PM
Horrible service, ok food, tvs can be hard to watch depending on where you are (yes theres lots of them, but the large screens lead to a sore neck whether your looking down or up)

Been there a couple times for second chances, its the service that is downright bad.

2/10

ecstasy_civic
07-12-2008, 03:04 PM
Was there again last night, slow service but everything else was:thumbsup:

UndrgroundRider
07-12-2008, 09:12 PM
I've been back a few times. I still can't stand it when they have a band/dj. It's way too loud. Believe it or not, I don't go to your fucking bar to listen to shitty mid-life crisis wanabee bands play a bunch of covers.

I never suggest going to this place anymore. I'd rather just go to woody's and deal with a grungier place where I can have a conversation.

dino_martini
07-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by avow

:rofl:

Spoons
07-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I've been back a few times. I still can't stand it when they have a band/dj. It's way too loud. Believe it or not, I don't go to your fucking bar to listen to shitty mid-life crisis wanabee bands play a bunch of covers.

I never suggest going to this place anymore. I'd rather just go to woody's and deal with a grungier place where I can have a conversation.

Well and that their DJ is fucking horrible. I listened so a lot of it and his beat matches when changing songs were fucking brutal.

ZForce
08-30-2008, 10:17 PM
Sounds like they need some new DJs... I will have to make an appearance!

brown_guy
08-31-2008, 10:41 AM
I love it and if you dont come more space for me :D

bigbadboss101
08-31-2008, 11:01 AM
Friends weren't happy with the entry level burgers as they don't come with dressings. I think I paid $8 for my Kilkenny.

Chandler_Racing
08-31-2008, 11:06 AM
Place was an absolute shit show. I would never go back or recommend it to anyone.

sgouki
09-18-2008, 01:49 AM
Wow all I've been hearing is bad reviews for flight deck. Kinda glad I didn't end up working there. Then again, I might've changed the reviews haha

DJ_NAV
09-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't mind the place... lots of tvs... good ambience, good choice of drinks and kitchen open till 2am. But service did suck at first, but once you go there 4-5 times they get to know you and then you are set.... I wonder how it will be during flames game.

bubbley
09-18-2008, 09:52 AM
I hear from an inside source that flight deck will soon go under..the business started with a few pilots(cant remember the exact amount)..well soon enough they ran out of money. What they did was put up an ad in the paper looking for investors. They got the investors and theres a shit load of them to(cant remember the exact amount)..these investors were promised a ridiculous amount of return..which hasnt happend and will not..I have a buddy ready to take this place over once it burns..

no_joke
09-21-2008, 03:38 PM
^^^^
That's alright- albeit bittersweet. The area needed a place to grab some drinks and watch the game that wasn't Boston Pizza or yet another Irish pub. Although I wasn't very impressed with the place, Flight Deck was a neat idea on paper. If it goes under, I hope someone else doesn't get discouraged in opening a place up.

dezmarez
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
its not bad if your going there for a drink and watch sports

KappaSigma
09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Horrible Horrible Horrible service from this place. Went about 2 months ago and will never go back. Took 1.5+ hours for main entrees to come. They ran out of glasses. So they actually asked us to share water glasses. How stupid is that!

They than asked us right away if they coudl take the glasses once we were lounging as they needed for other tables.

Food was average. Band was WAY too loud for the place.

B18C
10-31-2008, 09:33 PM
Just was there thursday night for a flames game with some friends. From all the bad reviews here we were expecting the worst but were pleasantly surprised.

It didn't start out well because we were greeted at the door by "odd" looking hostesses that didn't really seem to do much. We asked for a table for eight and they said they had room and just to wait a moment. We must have waited for at least 10 minutes and apparently they didn't seat us sooner because they weren't sure the server wanted to take us...wtf...a group of eight means automatic tip and it wasn't like they were that busy anyways.

Once we were seated though things got a lot better.

They definitely have the "Wow" factor with all the TV's. Probably a little too many IMO. I would have rather they had fewer bigger TV's than a whackload of smaller ones. It was a little distracting trying to watch the game.

Food was average. We had some really good salt and pepper winglets to start. A little pricey at $10 for 8 wings but still very good. Our entrees were average. Most of our friends said their food was a little dry. My wife's side salad was fresh but VERY small. The fries looked good though. I had the calzone which was pretty good. Not spectacular but good.

Next time I would probably stick to more pub food because that seemed better.

Service was actually really good. Our server was very attentive, drinks were always refilled, and the food came quickly. She even offered to get us refills after we paid the bill. There really was nothing to complain about here.

Overall I was impressed. The only really annoying thing was that somebody kept on switching on the tv guide on the tv's - even during the game, and they couldn't decide which of the tv's to leave on other channels that weren't the flames game. I think somebody complained though because they stopped playing with it for the second half of the hockey game.

We'll definitely be back again. It seems like it might be a good place for watching football. You can watch all the nfl games at once.

Cooked Rice
12-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Went here last night for my first time with the GF after a classmate of mine told me he went there regularly as they had like 101 types of beers. Our waiter was awesome, a taller guy with a shaved head. Was always quick and refilled our soft drinks without even needing to ask us. His name was Ed.

I forgot my keys at our table when we left, and he was kind enough to run out in -35 weather and give them to me.

Tik-Tok
12-15-2008, 02:28 PM
After serious misgivings, (the first week they were "open", I went 3 times, and each time, they were closed for no reason) I finally went back.

First time was last september, can't remember what I had for lunch, but it was good, and the service was a little slow, but no worse that half of Calgary these days.

Second time was last Wednesday, our waitress was awesome, very prompt, very polite. It was wing night (10 for $1), our table tried one of each flavour, and found them to be ok. Too much sauce, and the only ones without sauce are the salt/pepper. Overall it was good for a wing-night though. I really enjoyed the fact they had more than the normal dozen beer compliment most places have. I was like a kid in a candy store looking at the beer list.

I'd give it 7.5/10

Spoons
02-20-2009, 05:04 PM
Well I finally went back... I can say they picked up their game a bit. Still pretty hit and miss... depends who is your server to determine how enjoyable it is. Food has gotten a lot better, but still could use some work.

I will however go back for UFC fights though. You pay $10 to watch the fight but they give you it right back with $10 off your bill. I thought that was pretty sweet.

All in all it's getting better, but still has some work.

Stunt66
02-20-2009, 05:26 PM
anyone know what the wing night deal is? Do you have to buy a certain amount of drinks per order of wings?

jdmsource
02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
That place is a joke! Service is beyond horrible, was there on wednesday, after being seated we were waiting 25 mins for a server to come and take our order for drinks (which didnt happen) they just kept walking by over and over until i had to flag one of them down to order drinks, so after that 25 min wait another good 10 mins went by again before we got our drinks and ordered food. 1 hour and 10 mins pass and we finally get some of the orders, wait another 15 mins for the server to come and tell us that they are out of wings and that she will just take that off the bill LOL! as if she was doing me a favour for not charging us for the food we waited almost 2 hours for and didnt get!

Stay away from that place, it is ran by a obviously people who have no regard for customer service! that is the first and last time ill go there

Datsun-Fever
02-20-2009, 06:02 PM
Sounds exactly like my experience there... except it took them an hour to tell us that they were out of ground beef.

The only thing that place is good for is going upstairs during a game and having a few beers, cause that selection is great.

gqmw
02-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Went there a few weeks back, Wednesday night Flames game. The environment seemed pretty good, nice and relaxed atmosphere. They have a open mike going on Wednesday nights and with the flames game going, it seemed as though there was too many things going on at once. We went around 8 pm, didn't really have to wait. Got seated in the section upstairs facing the wall of tv's.

They had their wing special going, ordered a few flavors - when received, some chicken was cold and seemed to be just chucked in sauce (sweet chili flavor). The flavor was way too strong and the coldness just threw me off. The salt and pepper wings also managed to come without salt and pepper.

Price wise for the drinks, I wasn't feeling well so I only had water to drink - I didn't really pay attention to the drink prices. I did have an opportunity to try out a few nachos, they weren't too bad.

So our waiter was an older woman compared to the waiters you guys have been getting, maybe mid to late 20's, she was pregnant. She made the effort to come over numerous times - say every 10-15 minutes to see how we were doing. She did bring the bill pretty early, like basically right after we finished eating (the bill wasn't asked for). The place wasn't too busy, there was still space, so it kinda felt like they wanted us out quickly.

However, we sat to watch the rest of the game and paid on the way out. Some of us paid by cash, others by debit or by credit card - it was quick and efficient.

Overall, the experience wasn't too bad, I would give it a second chance. I would not recommend the place for good food, but just as a decent environment to have a chat, watch the game, etc.

el-nino
02-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I just had the worst experience of my life. Went there for wings on wednesday. got there around 8. Did not receive my wings untill 9:45. Was hardly busy, but then again the place is big and spacious so it may have just looked like it wasnt busy. Apparently they ran out of wings...
Ordered a beer and it never came. Ordered another beer and it never came.
Will go again because of the size and open mics but wont have high expectations.

krazykhoja
02-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by el-nino
I just had the worst experience of my life. Went there for wings on wednesday. got there around 8. Did not receive my wings untill 9:45. Was hardly busy, but then again the place is big and spacious so it may have just looked like it wasnt busy. Apparently they ran out of wings...
Ordered a beer and it never came. Ordered another beer and it never came.
Will go again because of the size and open mics but wont have high expectations.

I was there Wednesday also...got there around 8pm as well...but managed to get wings/drinks and was out at 10pm. The server was not the greatest but was not horrible. He didn't check very often and had to flag him down for another drink...possibly because they were busy but he passed by the table a few times and never asked anything. HOWEVER, the one thing I did not know until I got there was that for every 10 wings you order (at 10cents each) you MUST order another $5 worth of items (other food/drinks etc), so every 10 wings end up costing $6. All in all the price was not bad, for two people:

40 wings (which were very good), 2 beers, hot chocolate and an iced tea was a little over $20 incl. tip, I think the server undercharged us, since it should have been $24 + tax.

Overall, food was decent, service was a bit sub-par but on a different night when it is less busy Im sure it might be ok.

Great atmosphere, tons of tvs and overall its a very nice place. Would maybe go back but not for wings as I went for cheap wings and in the end that wasn't what it was, felt a little duped since I didnt see if blatanly advertised on their website or their flyer (unless I happened to miss it).

I would recommend going for a decent night but I wouldnt expect anything great from the night, just average.

I would give it a 6 or 7/10.

krazykhoja
02-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
anyone know what the wing night deal is? Do you have to buy a certain amount of drinks per order of wings?

You must buy $5 worth of items per 10wings your order, so each 10 wings costs $6. If you do not buy enough they will (or are supposed) to tack it onto your bill at the end.

swak
04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
I work as a concierge at a very well known hotel downtown, and have turned several guests away from this (bar?) for strong personal views, and this just tops it off.

Thanks spoons!

EDIT:
Also if your looking for a place in the NW to watch the fight, id highly, HIGHLY.. recommend 'Patty O'Leary's' (In the Beddington Town Square, right by the Co-op, thats across the street from safeway.)

Only $5 to watch the fight (cheapest ive found in town) and wicked food, great service, good specials, and all around good place.
PLUS, they are one of the few places in calgary with heineken on tap!

Tik-Tok
05-01-2009, 03:45 AM
Forgot I was going to post back here.

Went last week on Wednesday. 40 wings and 1 sandwich took 70 minutes to get to us.

Apparently the waitress sent the order to the downstairs kitchen, they made it, but no one picked it up after 20 minutes, so they tossed it.

After 30 minutes (we were too busy talking to notice how long the food was taking), we finally asked the waitress about our order, she said she'd look into it. She didn't come back to the table at all.

After another 15 minutes, we grabbed a passing manager, and asked him WTF? He said he'd look into it, he didn't come back to the table either. Another 10 minutes, we grabbed ANOTHER manager passing by. He apologized profusely and said he'd check on it.

He comes back and tells us the order went to the wrong kitchen, and they're making it now. Even after than, it still took another 15 minutes for 40 bloody wings, and a BLT to get to us.

Finally when it did, my wife's sandwich was inside out :facepalm: , somehow these retards in the kitchen managed to put the bread with the mayo on it facing down against the plate, so when she picked it up, she got mayo all over her hands :thumbsdow (yes it WAS mayo, you sick bastards)

Doubt we'll be back again. I've given them too many chances as it is.

infected
05-01-2009, 03:50 AM
Flight deck sucks. By far the worst service ever.
Never going back again.

wardpr68
06-15-2009, 10:27 AM
I went there a while ago and the service was as decent as calgary service gets. We ordered a platter i think (wings, nachos, onion rings) and it was nothing special at all.

This was also VERY late at night though.... so it was not busy at all. I can see this place being the shits on a game night or something.

smurfette
06-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Went here on Friday when it wasn't so busy. Took forever for our drinks to come (2 different waitresses came to take our drink order at different times), the food wasn't good either. This guy, who I am assume is the manager, would come by every so often to see if everything was OK. Instead of walking to each table, why the heck doesn't he bring out our food or drinks??!! And 2 TVs were burnt out...nice

Mixalot27
06-24-2009, 07:52 PM
I went here on Sunday night (Father's day) around 6pm. I wasn't impressed at all. First thing I didn't like was having to wait at the front to be seated, I don't really expect or want this at a pub type place. The place was not very busy at all, yet they insisted on seating everyone who was there in one tiny area resulting in it being kind of cramped.

Also I thought it was odd that kids are allowed in this place. The table next to us had 4 young kids who were screaming/crying their heads off most of the meal. Not exactly what I feel like listening to while eating dinner.

Our waitress was a young asian girl. She was proficient but nothing more. Not very friendly and very hard to understand (soft spoken). All in all she gave us ok service though.

They were out of the first 2 beers I tried to order. No big deal but slightly annoying. I found the menu to be a little odd. Mostly pub food but also some Asian and Curry type dishes thrown in. I find that places that try to cater to everyone generally aren't the best. Rather I'm more a fan of doing a few things but doing them right.

I ordered the Steak Sandwich, my friends ordered the Taco Pizza and Fish and Chips. My Steak Sandwich was fine, basically your average Pub Steak Sandwich I guess. The batter for the fish and chips was undercooked and kind of soggy, my friend remarked that it reminded him of an undercooked pancake. The Taco Pizza was very bland even for my friend who doesn't like her food very spicy.

Also for a new place I found it to be kind of run down. It didn't seem very clean and the furniture seemed like it had been used for 10 years of something. The only nice thing I can remark on was the TV's everywhere. All in all, I wouldn't go back. To me it was no better than the average pub that I go to and the prices are slightly more expensive.

msommers
06-24-2009, 08:11 PM
I'm really curious why the hell people are even bothering with this place when it's notorious for shitty ass service!

Perfect Dark
06-24-2009, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by msommers
I'm really curious why the hell people are even bothering with this place when it's notorious for shitty ass service!

People keep going there because of the limited selection of places to eat in this area....now that The Scottsman's Well is around we won't be going back to that hole.

Cooked Rice
06-28-2009, 01:28 AM
It depends on the time you go I guess. Everytime I've went service has been awesome! Last time was about 2 weeks ago.

Tik-Tok
06-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
I wasn't impressed at all. First thing I didn't like was having to wait at the front to be seated, I don't really expect or want this at a pub type place...

Also I thought it was odd that kids are allowed in this place. The table next to us had 4 young kids who were screaming/crying their heads off most of the meal. Not exactly what I feel like listening to while eating dinner.

Just FYI, the main floor is a restaurant, the upper floor is the pub (you don't need to be seated there, just walk up the stairs)

I still don't suggest going back. It's a crap shoot on the service.