PDA

View Full Version : Calcium & Magnesium road grime, how to get off paint?

Powerstroke2000
04-25-2008, 02:20 PM
This is a question regarding how to get the calcium/magnesium chloride road grime off automotive paint (no clearcoat). This is the liquid used by the road crews these days (rather than salt) to melt snow and ice.
I have a cargo trailer that was shipped up to me, which has this grime on the paint, which doesn't wash off with soap and water.
I also have stainless fenders, and a 2' polished aluminum around the bottom of this same trailer, and both have brown spots which I also need to clean off to get the original finish.
This is a "new" unit, and doesn't look so with all this grime on it, but I need to know of a product that will clean this off.

Hopefully someone will know what product will do the job, as I would like to do this myself. I might need two different products...one for the painted surface (sides) and another for the polished aluminum, or maybe even a third for the stainless steel fenders?

Thanks in advance.

PSD2000

teggypimp95
04-25-2008, 02:23 PM
I know clay baring the paint takes off pretty much anything but im not sure about paint with out a clear coat. Cant hurt to try i guess. Go to canadian tire and pick up a meguires clay bar kit and give that ago?

Powerstroke2000
04-25-2008, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, my brother mentioned that, and he has the Maguire's car clean products, which came with a clay bar, so he gave me one of the two which he had, and it seemed to clean off the surface, but didn't really touch the mess the road grime left.
You can see where water/snow must have melted from the roof, thus it ran down the side of the paint as the trailer was pulled, so in between where the water ran down the paint is this soiled grime (hard to explain) and the trailer is black in color, so at one angle the trailer looks clean, but at another you see where the chemicals used on the road have adhered themselves to the paint! On the aluminum, it has left small brown spots, where the water droplets dried...and on the stainless steel fenders, the spots are brown as well, but much larger.
I'm not sure if "cut polishing" is the answer for taking this off, or if it might actually scratch the paint? Same goes for the polished aluminum on the bottom, as I already tried using a "baking soda" solution mixed with water, and it seems to be leaving small scratches.
This seems to be a tough one to figure out, but I'm hoping someone will have some advice, as this solution they are putting on our roads is creating havoc from the "trucking" industry as well. It seems to be deteriorating the frame structure and steering parts much quicker than "salt", but I didn't find any answers as to what is being used to clean this stuff off of paint surfaces.

I'll try and leave a photo of the trailer, although the angle won't show the grime I'm trying to explain here.

PSD2000

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f34/Powerstroke2000/Enclosed%20Trailer/CargoTrailer2.jpg

sneek
04-25-2008, 06:14 PM
Hmm, I don't know for sure without seeing it, but I would personally go for Meguiar's Body Solvent + a mild to aggressive clay bar. The polish out both the aluminum and the paint. I would definitly try to get it off there ASAP because single stage paint seems to absorb things faster. Although I have no science to prove this.

The Aluminum probably needs a different polish than the stainless because aluminum is a much softer metal. You could risk it with an all metal polish, but you might scratch the aluminum or have something too mild to polish the steel.