PDA

View Full Version : UofC Car/Street Club

happydude
08-16-2003, 03:40 PM
Hey, I have no idea if anybody here goes to UofC but i'm trying to start a car/street club there. All we really need are 20 members to start and some paperwork, so if you are interested in getting in on this, please respond to this or private message me, thanx.

Joe Malms
08-16-2003, 05:29 PM
:dunno:
with a username like happydude you'd figure everyone wants to be down.

That.Guy.S30
08-16-2003, 08:47 PM
yo i go to uof c in the fall. ill join your crew if there are hot chiks with cars

LimitedDSC
08-17-2003, 01:17 AM
i'm out of UC but i think you definitely got a neat idea! Thing is, what would you guys do though for events? 1/4 mile? or Race track? Go-cart?

Too bad no one started it out earlier when i'm there.

MerfBall
08-17-2003, 02:19 AM
There used to be one way back when, forget what it was called.

twincharged86
08-17-2003, 12:40 PM
i was thinkin of starting something like this too, i'll there this fall

btw happy dude, is your name jacob, because if it is, this is mike

happydude
08-17-2003, 03:29 PM
twincharged, I am not Jacob but if it helps my name does have an A in it :D Send me a private message or an e-mail and we can all get together and try and organize something, ciao

[email protected]

thich
08-17-2003, 06:49 PM
good luck.

the SU is stringent on clubs that have to do with motorsports.
a guy i knew in my first year tried to start up a club for sport bikes and the SU turned him down because there were too many liabilities involved.

i'm out of UC but i think you definitely got a neat idea! Thing is, what would you guys do though for events? 1/4 mile? or Race track? Go-cart?

THIS is the exact type of thing that the SU will not support.
unless you're making a club for mechanics or tuning-type activities... which THEN you'll still face quite a bit of problems b/c you have to PROVE that those are the activities you will be doing.
you're looking at A LOT of paperwork and A LOT of red tape before you can even come close to a car club under the SU umbrella.

I've worked with the SU and clubs area for a year now and moving into my second year of working with them and it's a pain.

starting a club ain't easy... and the likelihood the SU will turn it down is pretty high because it is incredibly hard for them to boot a club unless they can prove the club does some sort of illegal activity.
there is also a council which your club has to pass through before the club is even allowed to exist; so even if your paperwork goes thru, if the council don't like the idea - they'll deny it. They do it all the time.

I think it's a good idea for you to talk to Jennifer, the clubs coordinator and you'll find out more info about starting a club.
it's not just paperwork... it's also a lot of research involved to get thru that red-tape.

the only thing i can think of is making a non-legit club at the UoC... makes sense if it's done that way. Then you're not governed by the SU and their bylaws. PLUS you can charge membership how much ever you want too.
you just won't be able to cash-in on the SU discounts for clubs

sandman
08-25-2003, 01:34 AM
im goin, car crew'd b a cool idea...im down....

Canadian 2.5RS
08-25-2003, 11:46 AM
if you can get it up and running im in.