PDA

View Full Version : My OOP pains and other BS *must read if importing a vehicle*

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 08:37 AM
I imported a 94 Supra from the US a couple of months ago. The amount of crap that I had to deal with is just amazing, and its still not done. Just read my on going saga in this link:

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78858&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

I am at a loss for words right now:( .

R.K.

Eleanor
04-27-2008, 09:30 AM
Uhhh, no offense, but I think those things are pretty self-explanatory. No airbag? Of course they're not going to pass it :nut:

BenC
04-27-2008, 09:35 AM
oh wow yikes
gl with your car dude thats shitty

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by Eleanor
Uhhh, no offense, but I think those things are pretty self-explanatory. No airbag? Of course they're not going to pass it :nut:

Did you read the whole thread? If you read it then you will know that I passed the OOP and went to register it at now its a salvage title.

R.K.

benyl
04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
I am not going to read the whole thread.

Did you not carfax AND Autocheck the car?

Weapon_R
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
This story makes no sense. How does some guy (who you fail to identify after repeated questions) "give" your car a salvage title?

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
This story makes no sense. How does some guy (who you fail to identify after repeated questions) "give" your car a salvage title?

Did you not read the whole thing? His name is Ken Robinson. Did I not spell in the english language very well or something?

R.K.

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by benyl
I am not going to read the whole thread.

Did you not carfax AND Autocheck the car?

The car was carfaxed and everything. The car is clean with all the vin tags on the car. No sign of accidents. I failed the first OOP which isn't a big deal. I fixed everything that needed to be fixed. In the mean time I got a letter from Ken Robinson instructing me to call him. I did. He told me to make the repairs and get it reinspected. I do the reinspection and go to register the car and he put on there (transport Canada) that my car is unsafe and now a salvage title.

R.K.

dannie
04-27-2008, 10:40 AM
It makes perfect sense. Ken Robinson is the acting manager for vehicle inspections for Alberta Transport. He legally cannot change the status on your vehicle from "Active" of "Salvage" without reason. My guess.....there is an issue with the vehicle that occurred in the U.S. Just because the title you received says it is clean, doesn't mean that something happened to it two days before that title was issued.

The vehicle status is not checked on the computer system at the border, but it is checked by the Alberta Government on their systems once you start the process for out of province inspection. Thats when they do a check through the U.S. on the vehicle. My suggestion to you is to call Ken (Don't bother going back to the registry, they can't help you with it other than to give you his number) and ask what the deal is. He will give you info. If you want his number, PM me and I will find it for you

**There have been a lot of cars coming into Alberta that are actually salvage vehicles, but the title hadn't been updated at the time of import

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by dannie
It makes perfect sense. Ken Robinson is the acting manager for vehicle inspections for Alberta Transport. He legally cannot change the status on your vehicle from "Active" of "Salvage" without reason. My guess.....there is an issue with the vehicle that occurred in the U.S. Just because the title you received says it is clean, doesn't mean that something happened to it two days before that title was issued.

The vehicle status is not checked on the computer system at the border, but it is checked by the Alberta Government on their systems once you start the process for out of province inspection. Thats when they do a check through the U.S. on the vehicle. My suggestion to you is to call Ken (Don't bother going back to the registry, they can't help you with it other than to give you his number) and ask what the deal is. He will give you info. If you want his number, PM me and I will find it for you

**There have been a lot of cars coming into Alberta that are actually salvage vehicles, but the title hadn't been updated at the time of import

I have Kens number. I carfaxed the car and nothing came up. Besides carfax has a buy back guarentee. I am going to carfax my car again.

R.K.

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 11:24 AM
For Personal Use Only Print This Page • Print All Pages

1994 Toyota Supra W-Sport Roof
VIN: JT2JA82J4R0018349
Body Style: LIFTBACK 3 DR
Engine Size: 3.0L L6 FI
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

Information excerpted from the CARFAX Vehicle History Report and/or Safety & Reliability Ratings; see full reports for additional information, glossary of terms, source attributions,disclaimers & limitations. Go to carfax.com for complete Buyback Guarantee terms and conditions.

Last owned in the following state/province: Illinois

None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles:
Salvage, Junk, Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire / Flood, Hail damage, Buyback / Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage,
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem

No issues reported to CARFAX on the following:
Total Loss
No Issues Reported
Structural / Frame Damage
No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment
No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback
No Issues Reported
Other Accidents
No Issues Reported

© 2008 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk & Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending. 27.Apr.2008 12:21:46

For Personal Use Only

Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title
A Rebuilt/Reconstructed vehicle is a salvage vehicle that has been repaired and restored to operation. These vehicles are often severely damaged before they are rebuilt and refurbished parts are typically used during reconstruction. In most states, an inspection of the vehicle is required before the vehicle is allowed to return to the road. Manufacturer Buyback or Lemon
A DMV or a state agency marks an official document or issues a Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon title when a vehicle has been repurchased by the manufacturer. Not all states issue manufacturer buyback titles and the specific requirements for a lemon law vehicle varies by state. Odometer Rollback
If a more recent odometer reading is less than an older reading, then the odometer may have been tampered with and "rolled back". Manufacturer Recall
Automobile manufacturers issue recall notices to inform owners of car defects that have come to the manufacturer's attention. Recalls also suggest improvements that can be made to improve the safety of a particular vehicle. Most manufacturer recalls can be repaired at no cost to you. Basic Warranty
Most manufacturers offer a basic warranty for new vehicles. These warranties vary by manufacturer and typically last for a certain amount of time and/or a set number of miles. Not Actual Mileage Title
When the seller certifies, under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading does not reflect the vehicle's actual mileage. This may occur because the odometer was tampered with, broken, or replaced. Junk Title
A Junk Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value. This damage threshold may vary by state. The majority of states use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage. Loss Due To Fire Title
The vehicle sustained major damage due to fire. In most states, fire damage titles are issued when the cost of repairing the vehicle for safe operation exceeds its fair market value. Exceeds Mechanical Limits
A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer. Structural / Frame Damage
In most cases, a vehicle is inspected for structural or frame damage, depending on the body design, after an accident or other incident. All levels of accidents from minor to severe can cause structural / frame damage and in most cases it can be repaired. Airbag Deployment
Occurs when the driver, passenger or side airbag has been used or deployed during a crash or other incident. If an airbag has been deployed, it must be replaced by a qualified technician. Have this car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase. Salvage Title
A Salvage Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value. This damage threshold may vary by state. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage but the majority use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again in that state. The following eleven States also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MD, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR. Total Loss
An insurance or fleet company declares a vehicle a total loss when a claim exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value or if the vehicle is stolen and not recovered. This damage threshold varies by company. These companies typically take possession and obtain the title. Not all total loss vehicles result in a DMV-reported branded title, like a Salvage or Junk title. See the glossary for more information. Accident Indicator
Various events could indicate an accident in a vehicle's history, such as: salvage auction, fire damage, police-reported accident, crash test vehicle, damage disclosure, collision repair facility and automotive recycler records. See the glossary for more information. Hail Damage Title
The vehicle sustained major damage due to hail. In most states, hail damage titles are issued when the cost of repairing the vehicle for safe operation exceeds its fair market value. Flood Damage Title
States issue flood titles when a vehicle has been in a flood or has received extensive water damage. Standard Equipment
Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer Safety Options
4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts
1994 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF
JT2JA82J4R0018349
LIFTBACK 3 DR
3.0L L6 FI / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

Hi-I'm the CARFAX Xpert™. I'm here to help you better understand the data in this CARFAX Report. Did you know...
We checked over 5 billion records from thousands of data sources for this vehicle
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
The last reported odometer reading was 107,000

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX
Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated

Accident Check

No accidents reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Toyota dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

No data reported to CARFAX.
No Data Reported

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Looking for other 1994 TOYOTA SUPRA vehicles like this one in your area?
Search CARFAX Hot Listings for an up-to-date list of vehicles in your area, all with the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 17 record(s) for this 1994 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF (JT2JA82J4R0018349).

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
03/31/1994 NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer

06/27/1994 73 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Horsham, PA Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported

09/08/1994 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Duplicate title issued
Loan or lien reported
Registered as lease vehicle

06/20/1997 62,236 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Durham, NC Passed emissions inspection

06/26/1997 Service Plan Co.
Raleigh, NC Service contract issued

09/04/1998 83,482 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Raleigh, NC Passed emissions inspection

11/11/1998 83,591 Service Plan Co.

11/11/1998 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Raleigh, NC
Title #776268983431115 Title or registration issued

10/05/1999 89,196 North Carolina
Inspection Station

10/09/2000 92,811 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Apex, NC Passed emissions inspection

10/30/2000 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Raleigh, NC
Title #776268983431115 Registration issued or renewed

10/19/2001 98,256 North Carolina
Inspection Station

09/28/2002 104,961 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Cary, NC Passed emissions inspection

02/07/2003 107,000 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Addison, IL
Title #T3038620359 Title issued or updated
New owner reported

03/31/2003 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Addison, IL
Title #T3090751018 Title issued or updated

12/28/2004 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dundee, IL
Title #X4363069033 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Exempt from odometer reporting

10/26/2005 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Hanover Park, IL
Title #X5299607154 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported

Here is the Carfax report.

R.K.

dannie
04-27-2008, 11:27 AM
I think that would be a good idea, see what comes up. If it was just Ken going beyond his boundaries and he couldn't give you a valid reason for changing the status, I would be going above his head. There are a few people in that unit including a director of programs. His name is Mitch Fuhr. I would be writing to him if that is the case. Plus, keep in mind you are dealing with Alberta Transportation at this point. It isn't transport Canada. (People commonly confuse the two, just thought I would tell ya :) )

*** Based on the Carfax, that wasn't the issue I guess. Did Ken tell you why he changed it to Salvage?

TACO.VIDAL
04-27-2008, 11:33 AM
You need to chill. Call Ken Anderson and ask him where the salvage title came from. Its understandable youre getting excited but you need to determine what is going on. Stop posting your homicidal thoughts on the other forum.

Originally posted by crazyrx7
For Personal Use Only Print This Page • Print All Pages

1994 Toyota Supra W-Sport Roof
VIN: JT2JA82J4R0018349
Body Style: LIFTBACK 3 DR
Engine Size: 3.0L L6 FI
Drivetrain: Rear Wheel Drive

Information excerpted from the CARFAX Vehicle History Report and/or Safety & Reliability Ratings; see full reports for additional information, glossary of terms, source attributions,disclaimers & limitations. Go to carfax.com for complete Buyback Guarantee terms and conditions.

Last owned in the following state/province: Illinois

None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles:
Salvage, Junk, Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire / Flood, Hail damage, Buyback / Lemon Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage,
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem

No issues reported to CARFAX on the following:
Total Loss
No Issues Reported
Structural / Frame Damage
No Issues Reported
Airbag Deployment
No Issues Reported
Odometer Rollback
No Issues Reported
Other Accidents
No Issues Reported

© 2008 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk & Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending. 27.Apr.2008 12:21:46

For Personal Use Only

Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title
A Rebuilt/Reconstructed vehicle is a salvage vehicle that has been repaired and restored to operation. These vehicles are often severely damaged before they are rebuilt and refurbished parts are typically used during reconstruction. In most states, an inspection of the vehicle is required before the vehicle is allowed to return to the road. Manufacturer Buyback or Lemon
A DMV or a state agency marks an official document or issues a Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon title when a vehicle has been repurchased by the manufacturer. Not all states issue manufacturer buyback titles and the specific requirements for a lemon law vehicle varies by state. Odometer Rollback
If a more recent odometer reading is less than an older reading, then the odometer may have been tampered with and "rolled back". Manufacturer Recall
Automobile manufacturers issue recall notices to inform owners of car defects that have come to the manufacturer's attention. Recalls also suggest improvements that can be made to improve the safety of a particular vehicle. Most manufacturer recalls can be repaired at no cost to you. Basic Warranty
Most manufacturers offer a basic warranty for new vehicles. These warranties vary by manufacturer and typically last for a certain amount of time and/or a set number of miles. Not Actual Mileage Title
When the seller certifies, under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading does not reflect the vehicle's actual mileage. This may occur because the odometer was tampered with, broken, or replaced. Junk Title
A Junk Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value. This damage threshold may vary by state. The majority of states use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage. Loss Due To Fire Title
The vehicle sustained major damage due to fire. In most states, fire damage titles are issued when the cost of repairing the vehicle for safe operation exceeds its fair market value. Exceeds Mechanical Limits
A vehicle with a 5-digit odometer cannot accurately track mileage after 99,999 miles because the odometer rolls over. This title is the result of a seller certifying under the Federal Odometer Act, that the odometer reading EXCEEDS MECHANICAL LIMITS of the odometer. Structural / Frame Damage
In most cases, a vehicle is inspected for structural or frame damage, depending on the body design, after an accident or other incident. All levels of accidents from minor to severe can cause structural / frame damage and in most cases it can be repaired. Airbag Deployment
Occurs when the driver, passenger or side airbag has been used or deployed during a crash or other incident. If an airbag has been deployed, it must be replaced by a qualified technician. Have this car inspected by a mechanic prior to purchase. Salvage Title
A Salvage Title is issued on a vehicle damaged to the extent that the cost of repairing the vehicle exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value. This damage threshold may vary by state. Some states treat Junk titles the same as Salvage but the majority use this title to indicate that a vehicle is not road worthy and cannot be titled again in that state. The following eleven States also use Salvage titles to identify stolen vehicles - AZ, FL, GA, IL, MD, MN, NJ, NM, NY, OK and OR. Total Loss
An insurance or fleet company declares a vehicle a total loss when a claim exceeds ~ 75% of its pre-damage value or if the vehicle is stolen and not recovered. This damage threshold varies by company. These companies typically take possession and obtain the title. Not all total loss vehicles result in a DMV-reported branded title, like a Salvage or Junk title. See the glossary for more information. Accident Indicator
Various events could indicate an accident in a vehicle's history, such as: salvage auction, fire damage, police-reported accident, crash test vehicle, damage disclosure, collision repair facility and automotive recycler records. See the glossary for more information. Hail Damage Title
The vehicle sustained major damage due to hail. In most states, hail damage titles are issued when the cost of repairing the vehicle for safe operation exceeds its fair market value. Flood Damage Title
States issue flood titles when a vehicle has been in a flood or has received extensive water damage. Standard Equipment
Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, Tilt Wheel, 6-digit Odometer Safety Options
4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts
1994 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF
JT2JA82J4R0018349
LIFTBACK 3 DR
3.0L L6 FI / REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Standard Equipment | Safety Options

Hi-I'm the CARFAX Xpert™. I'm here to help you better understand the data in this CARFAX Report. Did you know...
We checked over 5 billion records from thousands of data sources for this vehicle
This vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee
The last reported odometer reading was 107,000

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

CARFAX guarantees the information in this section
Salvage | Junk | Rebuilt Guaranteed
No Problem
Fire/Flood | Hail Damage | Buyback/Lemon
Guaranteed
No Problem
Not Actual Mileage | Exceeds Mechanical Limits Guaranteed
No Problem
GUARANTEED - None of these major title problems were reported by a state Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). If you find that any of these title problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.
Register | View Terms

Not all accidents or other issues are reported to CARFAX
Total Loss Check

No total loss reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Structural / Frame Damage Check

No structural / frame damage reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Airbag Deployment Check

No airbag deployment reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Odometer Rollback Check

No indication of an odometer rollback. No Issues Indicated

Accident Check

No accidents reported to CARFAX. No Issues Reported

Manufacturer Recall Check

Check with an authorized Toyota dealer for any open recalls. No Recalls Reported

Basic Warranty Check

No data reported to CARFAX.
No Data Reported

Tell us what you know about this vehicle

Looking for other 1994 TOYOTA SUPRA vehicles like this one in your area?
Search CARFAX Hot Listings for an up-to-date list of vehicles in your area, all with the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee!

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. CARFAX checked over 5 billion vehicle history events and found 17 record(s) for this 1994 TOYOTA SUPRA W-SPORT ROOF (JT2JA82J4R0018349).

Date: Mileage: Source: Comments:
03/31/1994 NICB Vehicle manufactured
and shipped to original dealer

06/27/1994 73 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported

09/08/1994 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Duplicate title issued
Loan or lien reported
Registered as lease vehicle

06/20/1997 62,236 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Durham, NC Passed emissions inspection

06/26/1997 Service Plan Co.

09/04/1998 83,482 North Carolina
Inspection Station

11/11/1998 83,591 Service Plan Co.

11/11/1998 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Raleigh, NC
Title #776268983431115 Title or registration issued

10/05/1999 89,196 North Carolina
Inspection Station

10/09/2000 92,811 North Carolina
Inspection Station

10/30/2000 North Carolina
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Raleigh, NC
Title #776268983431115 Registration issued or renewed

10/19/2001 98,256 North Carolina
Inspection Station

09/28/2002 104,961 North Carolina
Inspection Station
Cary, NC Passed emissions inspection

02/07/2003 107,000 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Addison, IL
Title #T3038620359 Title issued or updated
New owner reported

03/31/2003 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Addison, IL
Title #T3090751018 Title issued or updated

12/28/2004 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Dundee, IL
Title #X4363069033 Title issued or updated
New owner reported

10/26/2005 Illinois
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Hanover Park, IL
Title #X5299607154 Title issued or updated
New owner reported
Loan or lien reported

Here is the Carfax report.

R.K.

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 11:37 AM
Of course I'm not going to hurt him. Put yourself in my shoes. Its saturday and I can't call him until Monday to discuss this issue. I will post up here when I find out more info on Monday.

R.K.

The Cosworth
04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
wow that sucks, but R.K. why are you getting pissed off at members on here? we are not doing anything but trying to help with realistic options.

We cant tell you an easy way to fix it if one doesnt exist

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by brendankharris
wow that sucks, but R.K. why are you getting pissed off at members on here? we are not doing anything but trying to help with realistic options.

We cant tell you an easy way to fix it if one doesnt exist

I'm not getting mad at the members here. I just get ticked if you ask questions that are cleary answered in the thread.

R.K.

JAYMEZ
04-27-2008, 02:06 PM
Good luck with getting your Supra imported.. Mine was kinda a bitch to do as well!!

Evolution17
04-27-2008, 02:13 PM
Wow... thats crazy
btw I loled at your "YOU WILL FAIL"s

crazyrx7
04-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Good luck with getting your Supra imported.. Mine was kinda a bitch to do as well!!

The thing is that I passed the federal inspection and the OOP inspection already. Go to register the car and I find out that my cars title has changed to salvage and I have to get a salvage inspection done on a car that isn't salvaged. Does that make sense?

R.K.

dannie
04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
No it doesn't. That's why I said to call Ken and ask. If he can't give you a satisfactory answer, then call his boss. I think I put his name in one of my responses above.

Toms-SC
04-27-2008, 06:23 PM
tl dr

soloracer
04-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Am I the only one who is actually glad someone is putting an end to the wink/wink/nudge/nudge type of inspections? All these RHD pieces of junk that are being imported and passed when we know that nothing has been done to meet the regulations that are in place regarding the headlights/windsheilds/etc. Damn rights they should start pulling them all in and getting them reinspected and then threaten the shops that passed them with removal of their privaledges. So now that Mr. Robinson is enforcing the laws that currently exist you guys are threatening to kill him? How about threatening the jackasses who passed them to begin with?

JAYMEZ
04-27-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by crazyrx7

The thing is that I passed the federal inspection and the OOP inspection already. Go to register the car and I find out that my cars title has changed to salvage and I have to get a salvage inspection done on a car that isn't salvaged. Does that make sense?

R.K.

No it doesnt make much sense. If it was salvage title , they would have picked that up at the boarder would they not?

Originally posted by soloracer
Am I the only one who is actually glad someone is putting an end to the wink/wink/nudge/nudge type of inspections? All these RHD pieces of junk that are being imported and passed when we know that nothing has been done to meet the regulations that are in place regarding the headlights/windsheilds/etc. Damn rights they should start pulling them all in and getting them reinspected and then threaten the shops that passed them with removal of their privaledges. So now that Mr. Robinson is enforcing the laws that currently exist you guys are threatening to kill him? How about threatening the jackasses who passed them to begin with?

This car is from the US and was imported properly.

crapstixs
04-27-2008, 09:41 PM
I total agree with soloracer i have failed so many pice of shit cars on the opi. it is my legal obligation to i have my licence on the line. what happends when you are driving down deerfoot with your wife and kids and a skyline smashes into you because one of the lower ball joints fell out. because some hack ass tech passed it because he was payed off. techs are starting to get charged for neglagence and thrown in jail for this shit. there are laws for a reason. to keep pice of crap cars off the road so less people will die.

TACO.VIDAL
04-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Any update?

crazyrx7
04-28-2008, 05:05 PM
I will update this thread tomorrow.

R.K.

mlafreni
04-28-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by crapstixs
I total agree with soloracer i have failed so many pice of shit cars on the opi. it is my legal obligation to i have my licence on the line. what happends when you are driving down deerfoot with your wife and kids and a skyline smashes into you because one of the lower ball joints fell out. because some hack ass tech passed it because he was payed off. techs are starting to get charged for neglagence and thrown in jail for this shit. there are laws for a reason. to keep pice of crap cars off the road so less people will die.

yet they have no problem keeping POS rust buckets on the road with no bumpers, one headlight hanging from a thread, rust holes through the floor, and no brakes... I have seen cars that literally fall apart as they are putting along blowing out blue smoke... THESE vehicles that are going to hit you and your family and cause more havoc, with how many there are on the road.
I agree that shit needs to be done about cracking down on OOPs and getting these cars safe, but why are they deliberately and only targeting certain types of vehicles... what about the beaters that are being imported from other provinces that are passed without a ounce of issue. I brought a car with me from BC, it passed no problem... even though it had a crack through the windshield, burnt tail light and bald tires and rough brakes at the time - I bet you 100 bucks the same things on a US or JDM import would be failed on a dime...
and WTF his car was passed inspection already and this dirtbag comes out of the blue and calls it a salvage?? ummm... big problem there...

crapstixs
04-28-2008, 06:38 PM
oh I totaly agree, when ever I get of those pos cars at work I call everything it needs with hopes that they will just crush it. transport canada is getting alot more strict on opi's there trying to crack down on turning a blind eye. the inspector that dose our shop is a douch hes one of these small people that hates every one. I see just as many cars from ontairo fail as ones from japan if not more. it just depends on the shop and how hack the tech is.

canuckcarguy
04-28-2008, 06:55 PM
Is it possible that the registry fucked up? I brought a motorhome in from the US a few years ago, the registry completely screwed up when they entered it into the system, I finally got it resolved (by that same registry, who were very apologetic), and it had nothing to do with the government.

I'm sympathetic, but threatening the guy online, especially when you're so easily traced, just seems foolish. You announce online that you're mad and having "homicidal thoughts", while also providing all those details about your car, which the government has a record of?

If you displayed this same temper at the registry agent, no wonder you haven't had any luck figuring this out. Not trying to single you out, but if I were you I'd delete any threatening comments you've made online, and calm your ass down before you get yourself into more trouble. You may well have a legitimate beef, but it'll get lost in your angry tirade.

googe
04-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Originally posted by soloracer
Am I the only one who is actually glad someone is putting an end to the wink/wink/nudge/nudge type of inspections?

yes

dannie
04-28-2008, 07:19 PM
Ok R.K. I did some digging for you, and here is what I found. And for the recond, this is what I do for a living. So please pay attention :)

They didn't declare your vehicle as salvage. They declared it as unsafe. There is a HUGE difference. That status that they gave it can be changed to one of the following:

Active: This is for a normal vehicle
Non-Repairable: Really Really damaged vehicle with no chance in hell that it would be fixed
Salvage: A vehicle can be re-certified

Depending on the outcome of your inspection, you will be one of the three above. So I would suggest you go to a great mechanic and have it repaired properly so that you don't lose cash on the resale.

If you have any questions about the process, please PM me and I can maybe tell ya more

crazyrx7
04-28-2008, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by canuckcarguy
Is it possible that the registry fucked up? I brought a motorhome in from the US a few years ago, the registry completely screwed up when they entered it into the system, I finally got it resolved (by that same registry, who were very apologetic), and it had nothing to do with the government.

I'm sympathetic, but threatening the guy online, especially when you're so easily traced, just seems foolish. You announce online that you're mad and having "homicidal thoughts", while also providing all those details about your car, which the government has a record of?

If you displayed this same temper at the registry agent, no wonder you haven't had any luck figuring this out. Not trying to single you out, but if I were you I'd delete any threatening comments you've made online, and calm your ass down before you get yourself into more trouble. You may well have a legitimate beef, but it'll get lost in your angry tirade.

I would like to see how you react if they told you your car was a salvage title? I would like to see how pissed off you would be. Besides I talked to Ken's boss today. I explained the situation and how annoyed I was at this situation. Thats all I'm going to say today. I have to contact them tomorrow morning. I will see what the outcome will be.

R.K.

crazyrx7
04-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by dannie
Ok R.K. I did some digging for you, and here is what I found. And for the recond, this is what I do for a living. So please pay attention :)

They didn't declare your vehicle as salvage. They declared it as unsafe. There is a HUGE difference. That status that they gave it can be changed to one of the following:

Active: This is for a normal vehicle
Non-Repairable: Really Really damaged vehicle with no chance in hell that it would be fixed
Salvage: A vehicle can be re-certified

Depending on the outcome of your inspection, you will be one of the three above. So I would suggest you go to a great mechanic and have it repaired properly so that you don't lose cash on the resale.

If you have any questions about the process, please PM me and I can maybe tell ya more

There is nothing wrong with the car. Everything that needed to be fixed was hense why I passed the OOP inspection.

R.K.

Kloubek
04-28-2008, 10:02 PM
....or, don't listen to him at all. :nut:

The Cosworth
04-29-2008, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
....or, don't listen to him at all. :nut:

x2

heavyD
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Something strange going on here. There's obviously some sort of reason that they don't want the car in Canada. Hopefully it's just a misunderstanding.:dunno:

crazyrx7
04-29-2008, 12:29 PM
So here is the end to the saga.....

I phoned Ken first thing in the morning yesterday (monday) and asked why it had been put down my car as needing a salvage inspection. He told me that because the 14 days have lapsed for me to redo my OOP my car automatically goes down to a "unsafe vehicle" status which intern is salvage. Then he asks who did the OOP and I told him. He laughed and said that the car needs to be reinspected. At this time I'm ready to boil over. So I hang up the phone because I have to get back to work.

10 minutes later the garage phones me and wants my car back for the inspection. He told me that Ken wants to see the car in person. I told him that its already passed the OOP and I don't have time to go back again. This sent me over the edge. I picked up the phone and called Ken's boss.

I talked to Ken's boss. I explained the situation about my car and flat out asked him why and how that status appeared on my registration. He told me that they have the authority to change the status at any time for any vehicle. Obviously they have to have probabal cause to do so. So he got my info and told me that he will talk to Ken about this.

2 minutes later Ken calls me back. I asked him what he wants from me. He told me that all he wants is a airbag scan on my car. I told him that my airbags work fine because there is no light on after the inital start up. He said as soon as I get that he will change the status of my car from "salvage" to "active". I offered to got to Toyota to do this and he was more than happy with that.

So last night I went to Toyota to get an airbag scan done on my car. Of course there were no codes because the system works fine. I faxed it over to him this morning. I called him at 8:00 am to see if he had recieved it and he had. He told me that everything is fine and he will change the status of my car right away. Now I wish he would of just told me that from the start. It would of saved me all of this headaches and sleepless nights. So I talked to him and I agree that safety is very important. But I explained to him why I was so upset about it and he understood. I apoligized for chewing him out and I finally registered my car.

R.K.

canuckcarguy
04-29-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm glad it worked out. I didn't blame you for being angry, but just thought you'd be better off not to make threats online, it could make things worse for you.

Congrats on the car.