PDA

View Full Version : USA car question

da9integ
04-27-2008, 08:05 PM
just wondering if there is any major reason not to buy a car that is originally from the states?

Kobe
04-27-2008, 08:06 PM
warranty...

da9integ
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
is warranty the only real issue?

TYMSMNY
04-27-2008, 08:22 PM
Depending on the vehicle, US warranty works up here in Canada too.

Kloubek
04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
There are a few issues. First, you need to make it comply here. So make sure you do your homework and check the net. It's easy info to find. Don't buy something that needs a lot of modifications.

Warranty is covered by some companies. Toyota is one of them for sure. That would mean Lexus as well. Some do not. I believe Hyundai is one of them. If someone has a comprehensive guide to that, I'd like to see it.

The gauges will likely be in Miles, which detracts from resale. People figure your vehicle should be cheap because you bought it for less down there. They aren't factoring in the shipping (if you don't drive it up) and everything else...

But the fact is, a vehicle from say, California, which has seen no corrosion actually makes it for a better buy - especially if you plan to keep it.

da9integ
04-27-2008, 08:31 PM
okay thanks. was just asking because i found a 99 3.2 acura tl for about 11000 that im interested in and it has only 94k. just want it to be a reliable daily driver that i wont have to put money into considering its from the states.

Supa Dexta
04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
Miles or kms?

analbumcover
04-27-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by da9integ
okay thanks. was just asking because i found a 99 3.2 acura tl for about 11000 that im interested in and it has only 94k. just want it to be a reliable daily driver that i wont have to put money into considering its from the states.

sorry dude, if thats miles, pass on it, you need to factor in 11.1% on top of the sale price for duties and tax - also shipping or if you're driving (plane ticket) gas + adding kms = depreciation value

rage2
04-27-2008, 09:19 PM
When shopping for used cars, I prefer US cars now (for the ones that are either out of warranty, or has transferrable warranty). My US spec M3 is in amazing condition, the underbody is so clean because it's not subject to any winter salt/debris... looked almost new. Zero rust for bolts, etc... makes it a lot easier to swap suspension. All the CDN cars I looked at were nowhere near how clean my car was.

The only downside is the fact that a lot of US cars are high mileage... people drive 2 hrs a day to and from work, racking up 100 miles a day easily. Plus there's a lot of ppl selling crap down there, so you really need to know someone down there that can check the stuff out for you.

schocker
04-27-2008, 09:29 PM
You can find the warranty compliancy here:
http://www.apa.ca/template.asp?DocID=253
But as stated just conversion is the main issue which isnt hard, and making sure the vehicle is able to be imported. There would usually be no major differences and us cars, and most are in better condition than canadian ones depending on where they are from as I have been searching.

Kloubek
04-27-2008, 09:33 PM
SWEET Schocker - that's perfect - thank you.

I agree with rage that the US vehicles have more mileage much of the time. I managed to get my 2005 Sequoia with 29k miles on it, but most are higher. Ebay has a nice selection of both.

schocker
04-27-2008, 09:56 PM
np kloubek
if you search around though, since the market is so large you can find lots of low mileage cars as last year i was digging around to find an AP1 with low miles and was finding 2002's with under 15k miles. Trying to find a low mile AP2 this year though is a different story.:banghead:

Dope Dealer
04-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not sure how accurate that website is. When I bought my Nissan, the warranty was like so:

Nissan vehicles must first be registered in U.S. for coverage to apply. If the car moves to Canada after it is six months old the warranty will be valid. However, if a U.S. market car is brought to Canada and sold before the car is six months old, the warranty will be void.

Not sure if they changed their policy or not.

schocker
04-27-2008, 10:17 PM
I think nissan had changed their policy as i had always seen the month change thing then it showed up as no warranty lately, but it is strange that infiniti sill carries it.

Dope Dealer
04-27-2008, 10:22 PM
I looked at the APA website and that link is for NEW cars purchased in the States, that's maybe why it says No Warranty coverage. I think Infiniti has always had full coverage transferred whereas Nissan was 6 months. I can't find their used car list though, only an old list from 2007 on a different website.

If they did change the policy, what would that mean for the people that purchased Nissans prior to the change? I would think they would have to honor them as that was one of the reasons I brought it across because the warranty was still intact (as told by Nissan North America).

schocker
04-28-2008, 12:40 AM
that could be the case, i havnt looked into it as that. the only research i did was on honda and the warrenty on acura and honda is non transferable.