PDA

View Full Version : Out of Province Inspection (OPI) as of April 2008

cyrusli
04-28-2008, 02:29 PM
Hey everyone,

I've tried to find OPI guidelines and what not on google and beyond, but it seems like lots of people are confused, and yet some have given great answers.

I just got my Civic EG inspected today in Alberta, I brought it back from BC, and little did I know, the techs are pretty anal about what's been done to the car and stuff. I'd just thought I'd share what failed me.. so here's the list.

- Aftermarket (TEIN SS) Suspension system
- Aftermarket Sway Bar (Civic doesn't even come with one to begin with)
- Aftermarket stainless steel braided brake lines
- No Daytime running lights (tech didn't let go of the handbrake..that's why)
- Aftermarket Exhaust (brand new with cat)

So I'll do some calling around and might get another inspection somewhere else and keep you guys posted if it's the actual law or just the shop find ways to fail me. They said I need everything "original".. put it on, pass it..then if i want to put what i have back on, then i can do that..

I also have a check list of what techs usually check for OPI, PM me and I'll give you that information if you need it.

I hope at the end of it, this will help fellow drivers and car enthusiast know what to expect from the OPI.. at least for the rest of 2008.

Regards,
Cyrus

Weapon_R
04-28-2008, 02:31 PM
Those mods will fail you everywhere.

DA_1.8T
04-28-2008, 02:32 PM
suspension and exaust will cause a problem the rest of the shite is bs , and u need to have dtrl

cyrusli
04-28-2008, 04:23 PM
i don't know guys.. if they're so picking about a car that was originally from Alberta last year, registed and inspected in BC wiht AirCare, now comes back and fails.. that's pretty darn retarded if you ask me. On top of that, OPI is for the safety of other drivers.. so if they pull the wire on suspension and the sway, does that mean cops will pull you over if your car's lowered? that doesn't make sense. I read teh other OPI thread and yeah, i agree if a ball joints fall off those skylines, then yeah, but a USDM civic..yuo see tons of those.. funny thing is the tech said i need to replace all those, then once it passes, then i can put everything back on.. what's the point? Just feel a tad bit ripped off here.

adam c
04-28-2008, 04:28 PM
fyi, cops can ticket you for your car being lowered

rc2002
04-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Out of province is a PITA. There are lots of places that are more lenient and some will charge a premium but will pass you regardless.

crazyrx7
04-28-2008, 05:07 PM
Read this thread:

http://forums.780tuners.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78858

Enjoy.

R.K.

Hash_man
04-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Sounds like a lot of this going on lately... but I have rarely heard of JDM imports getting failed for aftermarket exhausts/suspensions etc... I made sure to leave my car stock before I took it for my out of province.

cyrusli
05-01-2008, 07:34 AM
So.. i finally got it inspected and passed at The Tire Warehouse. They're the ones that inspect cars for races and are pretty strict I heard, so I guess if they pass it.. they know what they're talking about and will make repairs accordingly.

Long story short, go to a more well known tech than trying to do it for cheap. It'll be worth the money in the long run. Trust me =)

turbo4dr
05-01-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by cyrusli
So.. i finally got it inspected and passed at The Tire Warehouse. They're the ones that inspect cars for races and are pretty strict I heard, so I guess if they pass it.. they know what they're talking about and will make repairs accordingly.

Long story short, go to a more well known tech than trying to do it for cheap. It'll be worth the money in the long run. Trust me =)

Glad too see you got things worked out. What did they charge you for the inspection ...and what did they fail on your car ????

cyrusli
05-02-2008, 09:50 AM
just needed a new camber for the rear passenger side.. that was it. They saw that it was stripped when they were doing the alignment, so they just changed it and passed me after.

Thaco
05-02-2008, 10:34 AM
the reason they're anal about OOP's is because they are held accountable if it's found that car car passed, that should not have, they can lose their ticket and get big fines.

weeznah
05-02-2008, 03:01 PM
got any pics of the car?

cyrusli
05-02-2008, 04:32 PM
well, as far as I understand, it just needs to be in good working condtion. I needed a new CV shaft because the boot was cracked and the rear chamber arm was stripped, so that needed to be replaced, that I can understand.

They are anal about OOP's.. and they check everything so nothign comes flying while in motion.. like someone else had raised the concern on this forum, but to out right look at my car before the inspection, knowing that it was lowered, had teh muffler.. told me that it shouldn't be a problem passing.. then two hours later telling me that it failed because it was lowered and I had the exhaust sounds more like a scam to me than anything. I'm not gonna go through the hassle of arguing with those guys..although it did cost me $150..

Just make sure anyone of you that needs an OOP done, call the place up first and tell them that you have such and such mods..and see if it's okay rather than finding out $150 later.. I called two places after and they said as long as the suspension is not loose or leaking, the exhaust isn't too loud, it's fine. So .. i guess it depends on where you go.

No, I do not have pictures. I'll put a few up later possibly.

DA_1.8T
05-02-2008, 04:53 PM
trust me from what i have seen personally all jdm cars should fail the oop , hontestly they dont faill because the shops get bribes and alot more of inspections which means alot of money for them so they dont care

eglove
05-02-2008, 06:00 PM
pm the checklist please

cyrusli
05-02-2008, 07:46 PM
it's not a japanese imported jdm. It's a USDM body. but anyways.. it's not the issue of bribing or not. the fact is that laws are getting more strict, hence the more in depth inspections and really it's to make sure your car will function properly.. (ie: if you have a fast car, will your brakes or rotors stop it properly)..or some scenario like that.

it's just most of the people who have "fast" cars think they own the road and think it's fun to drive fast on the street that's "labelled" all similar looking cars to be the same. I'm not saying we all drive irresponsibly, it's just that the ones that do take their cars down to the track, the ones that care about their cars get the shorter end of the stick because people choose to take what's done on the track to the streets.

I'm not saying that I've never street raced before, it's definitely past my time, but I understand why we sometimes are "pressured" to drive fast.. Call me a broken record, but if you want to drive fast, take it off the streets and to the tracks. it's gonna be more worth while for EVERYBODY. Just like today.. I was driving to a friend's place, stopped at a light, a Cobalt revs up, light turns green, over takes me... he doesn't go anywhere..there was a cargo van in front of me.. the time he took to get to his destination was a couple seconds faster.. things like that, is it really necessary? Will a second or two make a difference?

eglove: PM me your email and I'll send you the check list. It's a JPG.