PDA

View Full Version : Sold the Talon... Sonata?

A790
04-28-2008, 08:21 PM
So, I bought a 95 Talon TSi AWD in January and just sold it yesterday. A decent car, but with summer here and the MR2 getting ready for the season I don't need two sports cars. Not only that, but that thing was a pig on gas ($60/400km MAYBE).

So I've sold it and have been booting around in a rental for the last couple of days, a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Not a bad car actually, definitely changed the way I look at Hyundai's too.

Basically I'm looking to replace the Talon at the end of summer. I need something that's relatively economical, and I don't feel like paying a ton for it since my income is really volatile and unreliable- when it's good, it's great, and when it's in a "low" period it's really low.

I've been checking around and 2007 Hyundai Sonata's are like $14K-$16K-ish with around 40,000km. I like the Elantra that I'm driving now, but it looks fugly as hell. I like the looks of the Sonata, so I thought it'd be a decent alternative.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2006+ Sonata in terms of reliability, fuel economy, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for a prestiege car, nor do I really care that it's a Hyundai.

EDIT:

Also, I've been looking at some alternatives like a Chevrolet Cobalt SS sedan, Optra5, Focus, etc. Does anyone have any experience with those cars?

max_boost
04-28-2008, 08:26 PM
No experience but they are most likely decent cars. The only car I ever think about in the <$20K range is the Civic or Corolla.

A790
04-28-2008, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
No experience but they are most likely decent cars. The only car I ever think about in the &lt;$20K range is the Civic or Corolla.
Yea I've been thinking about those two, but the Corolla is boring as hell and I'm pretty neutral to the Civic's.

I probably won't have this car for more than 1 or 2 years anyway, they are just appealing to me since they're dirt cheap. The Elantra feels quite solid and well put together, I'm impressed, so I figured maybe that translated to similar figures across their entire line-up.

willyC
04-28-2008, 10:56 PM
get a used ca rin the states... there are MANY MANY good cars for half of your 14k price tag

Sorath
04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
buy a fit

A790
04-30-2008, 10:52 PM
I don't want a fit.

ricescream
04-30-2008, 10:57 PM
The Hyundai Elantra is listed as EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) Picks Ten Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles. The Elantra ranked #2 in 2006 and 2007 in the category of most fuel efficient sedans, and also was ranked as the most efficient non-hybrid mid-sized sedan.

A790
04-30-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by ricescream
The Hyundai Elantra is listed as EPA (United States Environmental Protection Agency) Picks Ten Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles. The Elantra ranked #2 in 2006 and 2007 in the category of most fuel efficient sedans, and also was ranked as the most efficient non-hybrid mid-sized sedan.
I believe it. I got over 800K to a tank mixed city/hwy for $48 when I was renting it.

Jlude
04-30-2008, 11:41 PM
I rented a new ford focus to drive down for my interview... I was very impressed... if you haven't looked at one, you should.

boxer23
05-01-2008, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Jlude
I rented a new ford focus to drive down for my interview... I was very impressed... if you haven't looked at one, you should.

in lamence terms my answer to that would be
:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf:

bobby_lu
05-01-2008, 01:28 AM
The Sonata is a pretty nice looking car in that class IMO.

GTS Jeff
05-01-2008, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by boxer23

:barf: :barf: :barf: :barf: lamence?!?

Do you mean laymen's? :rofl:

Destinova403
05-01-2008, 02:30 AM

... mind if i ask why? i mean... yeah its not the best looking car, but the OP is looking for a reliable, cheap, efficient car... i dont understand why the focus would = :barf:... it meets his requirements pretty well.

boxer23
05-01-2008, 02:45 AM
dangerously ugly...like Ford didn't even think when they designed that car...its horrible in every way

edit: since when are Ford's know for their reliability

SNAATCH
05-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by A790
So, I bought a 95 Talon TSi AWD in January and just sold it yesterday. A decent car, but with summer here and the MR2 getting ready for the season I don't need two sports cars. Not only that, but that thing was a pig on gas ($60/400km MAYBE).

So I've sold it and have been booting around in a rental for the last couple of days, a 2008 Hyundai Elantra. Not a bad car actually, definitely changed the way I look at Hyundai's too.

Basically I'm looking to replace the Talon at the end of summer. I need something that's relatively economical, and I don't feel like paying a ton for it since my income is really volatile and unreliable- when it's good, it's great, and when it's in a &quot;low&quot; period it's really low.

I've been checking around and 2007 Hyundai Sonata's are like $14K-$16K-ish with around 40,000km. I like the Elantra that I'm driving now, but it looks fugly as hell. I like the looks of the Sonata, so I thought it'd be a decent alternative.

Does anyone have any experience with the 2006+ Sonata in terms of reliability, fuel economy, etc? Keep in mind that I'm not looking for a prestiege car, nor do I really care that it's a Hyundai.

EDIT:

Also, I've been looking at some alternatives like a Chevrolet Cobalt SS sedan, Optra5, Focus, etc. Does anyone have any experience with those cars?

Why don't you look at a car that will actually retain its value?
All of those will be worth about half what you paid in a few years. Look at what some Focus's and Cobalts are going for right now.

Destinova403
05-01-2008, 12:22 PM
dangerously ugly...like Ford didn't even think when they designed that car...its horrible in every way

edit: since when are Ford's know for their reliability

since they went into the top 10(i believe number 4... off the top of my head) on the consumer reports lists for reliability. and the differences in reliability (measured in problems per 1000 cars) is statistically insignificant between the top one and the 10th one.

the focus is ugly but its a very good car. in 2010 were getting the euro focus here in north america... then it will be a very good car, and fairly good looking.

just look at the pricing and the options available on the focus. its a good car, it has a fuel efficient reliable engine... the only thing holding it back is its (lack of) styling.

20incheyes
05-01-2008, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by SNAATCH

Why don't you look at a car that will actually retain its value?
All of those will be worth about half what you paid in a few years. Look at what some Focus's and Cobalts are going for right now.

FYI I hear theres people out there willing to pay 1 million dollars just to spend one night with a Sonata :D

A790
05-01-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 20incheyes

FYI I hear theres people out there willing to pay 1 million dollars just to spend one night with a Sonata :D

hahaha.

I think for the price the Sonata is pretty hard to beat right now.

dragonone
05-03-2008, 12:36 AM
how are the resale values of the sonata's tho?

my friend owned two hyundai's (not sonata's), both were horrible in terms of reliability
he's been in for services that other cars wouldn't even be near at the same mileage, we've almost worked out that he could've gotten a higher end and more reliable car with all the repair costs

funkedelic
05-03-2008, 12:40 AM
dont get a focus, i use to work at a ford dealership. They are shite. I rather get a sonata

trieuth
05-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Sonata's are money, I work in a car rental company. everyone i rent the car to, loves it. I actually had a guy who owned a 02 bmw 540, and while his car was in the shop. I rented him a sonata, and when his bmw was ready to go at the shop, he went and sold it and bought a fully loaded sonata. He still comes in time to time, and tells me how amazing his car is.

Boost Infested
05-03-2008, 12:44 PM
I work at Hyundai and i have a 07 Sonata for daily... best practical car yet. hardly any problems, 5yrs 100000km bumper to bumper warr' cant beat that... right now they have 5100 dlrs rebate.. what a deal! I would get the 3.3L v6

dragonone
05-04-2008, 12:12 PM
that's what i never understood about these cars
sure it's nice to know ur covered by warranty, but who the fuck wants to go to the dealer every month 'cause something's wrong?

A790
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by dragonone
sure it's nice to know ur covered by warranty, but who the fuck wants to go to the dealer every month 'cause something's wrong?
That's the thing, is that every perosn I talk to that owns one rarely has problems with them.

Weapon_R
05-04-2008, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by dragonone

I'd rather have a Hyundai than a domestic right now. They are well built cars, which is how they can offer such a long warranty.

Nix87
05-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Used Mazda 6's are a good deal.

5fivespeed
05-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Mid 01 - 05' Nissan Sentra.
Great car.

icecreamvan
05-04-2008, 10:58 PM

Ha guys. "Minus whale" add this as another ridiculars entry to the b-yond dictionary.:rofl: :rofl:

Xtrema
05-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Why buy used when a new Sonata is $19K?

Hakkola
05-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by icecreamvan

Ha guys. "Minus whale"add this as another ridiculars entry to the b-yond dictionary.:rofl: :rofl:

LOL, at minus whale. I've never understood these "lamence terms."
:rofl:

Mosquito_R
05-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
Why buy used when a new Sonata is $19K?

I think the new Sonata is $19K when you pay cash, and that's the pre-tax and pre-PDI price. It works out to about $21K for a 4-cyl auto GL. If you gotta finance or lease, it's a different deal.

IMHO, Hyundais are better now than ever before. Yes, resale would not be as good as Japanese brands, but it'll certainly be better than domestics.

In the case of the Sonata, I like it for its size too, considering how Accord, Camry and Altima have all grown to be too big and bloated.

In response to the OP, I would certainly get a Sonata. Used Civics and Corollas of the same vintage won't be as cheap.

A790
05-05-2008, 05:50 PM
Hell yes, looking at a Sonota 3.3L V6 and an Elantra just cause the Elantra is only 13K for a loaded car with 31K on it.

GTS Jeff
05-05-2008, 06:27 PM

Ha guys. &quot;Minus whale&quot; add this as another ridiculars entry to the b-yond dictionary.:rofl: :rofl: :werd: Lettuce snow how it goes.

A790
05-05-2008, 06:55 PM
I didn't know you carrot at all Jeff, will do :)

icecreamvan
05-06-2008, 10:36 PM
Jeff is a very witty and talon-ted guy even though he can be a sonata bitch sometimes.:D

BoS_DC2
05-06-2008, 11:35 PM
I've always liked the way the new Sonata's looked, plus it's not slow either.

For the price, there's not much cars out there really to comp pear.

GTS Jeff
05-07-2008, 01:34 AM
Jeff is a very witty and talon-ted guy even though he can be a sonata bitch sometimes.:D Are you for Rio? Whatever, I don't Kia what you say because I drove to Santa Fe last night and spread your mom's Volvo lips apart with my Lancer.

analbumcover
05-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
Are you for Rio? Whatever, I don't Kia what you say because I drove to Santa Fe last night and spread your mom's Volvo lips apart with my Lancer.

LOL

... i just saw this lancer for sale in the marketplace

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/218111/fs-2004-mitsu-ralliart-sedan/

i cant imagine the gas mileage being too bad..

and its a good price

You can get a Sonata for a lot less than 17-18, budget for 13-14... those things depreciate worse than Jamie Lynn Spear's hopes of being a good Mother

A790
05-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by analbumcover

LOL

... i just saw this lancer for sale in the marketplace

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/218111/fs-2004-mitsu-ralliart-sedan/

i cant imagine the gas mileage being too bad..

and its a good price

You can get a Sonata for a lot less than 17-18, budget for 13-14... those things depreciate worse than Jamie Lynn Spear's hopes of being a good Mother
Well, I guess I really gotta focus and make sure that the Sky's are clear. I gotta admit though, there is something rather alluring about the Sonata, even if I gotta have my right hand man as my navigator.

icecreamvan
05-07-2008, 11:11 AM

Well, I guess I really gotta focus and make sure that the Sky's are clear. I gotta admit though, there is something rather alluring about the Sonata, even if I gotta have my right hand man as my navigator.

You're fucking bogarting the cars, azerahole. :D

A790
05-07-2008, 11:19 AM
Hey, you can optra out anytime!

GTS Jeff
05-07-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey, you can optra out anytime! You're a knee grow.

crazedmodder
05-07-2008, 08:10 PM
Yeah we have a lot at work, they're really comfortable and they're nice cars too. I find when I drive it there's nothing off about the car, I mean inside isn't a luxury car but nothing feels like it'll break easily.